The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

C1-Sony support

cunim

Lack of tether support has stopped my jumping on the A7R band wagon but this might change all that. So, apart from LV and camera controls (which I don't use) does the tethered capture work as smoothly as when shooting a Phase back or Canon DSLR?
Gazwas, I am not sure what you mean. The Sony tethered capture works smoothly, in the same way that hippos dance smoothly. C1 doesn't even try to tether the Sony, just as your average hippo avoids the 2-step. That's probably because, in both cases, the results would be ugly.

Far as I can tell, all C1 does with the A7 is trigger the shutter. That's it. That's all of it. The Sony iPhone app actually gives you live view for focus, a review image to check, and control over shutter and f-stop. Maybe the Danes can hire the Sony guy to write their function.

Best hold off on that A7 until Phase get their ducks in a row. I expect they will implement Sony tethering at some point but I am feeling a bit manipulated by all of this hoo-hah over a trigger pulse.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Can I just ask you folks about C1 "screen behaviour"? The main reason I ditched the software long ago was this:

Making a change, say clarity or anything the likes, the moment you started picking and moving the slider would cause the screen to blur the picture until you had your slider positioned and let it go.

Now, in fairness, I dropped C1 with Version 4.8.2 because of that and did not look back. So it might well be that this has been solved long time, but back then when I spoke with phase about it, calling a spade a spade, I said there are easier ways to ruin my eyesight, and they said this is due to the way the algorithm is calculating and can not be changed.

Hence I am curious whether this is still the same behaviour.

Thanks.

gazwas

Gazwas, I am not sure what you mean. The Sony tethered capture works smoothly, in the same way that hippos dance smoothly. C1 doesn't even try to tether the Sony, just as your average hippo avoids the 2-step. That's probably because, in both cases, the results would be ugly.

Far as I can tell, all C1 does with the A7 is trigger the shutter. That's it. That's all of it. The Sony iPhone app actually gives you live view for focus, a review image to check, and control over shutter and f-stop. Maybe the Danes can hire the Sony guy to write their function.

Best hold off on that A7 until Phase get their ducks in a row. I expect they will implement Sony tethering at some point but I am feeling a bit manipulated by all of this hoo-hah over a trigger pulse.
I don't use all that fancy stuff like camera control or LV when in the studio so I'm not too bothered if that works yet. What is important to me is that if I click the camera shutter button the image appears on the monitor relativly quickly as Phase and Canon cameras function. Is that how the A7R now dunctions in C1 Pro 8?

I don't want the watch folder type approach where you always need to manually select the last image and then apply any adjustments.

cunim

What is important to me is that if I click the camera shutter button the image appears on the monitor relativly quickly as Phase and Canon cameras function. Is that how the A7R now dunctions in C1 Pro 8?
Yes. Acquisition works as with a digital back minus the LV and other functions.

sven

I would not be looking at Capture one if tethered shooting is needed. Hopefully future cameras/upgrades will make this available/usable. Until then the Sony app is the only way to go.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I just use the hot folder feature in C1 and works pretty good with there camera app. Little slow but it works pretty nice

Annna T

I read the thread, but I still don't understand the difference between C1 Pro and C1 Pro for Sony.
I think that the Sony version will be exactly the same as the complete version, with the exception that you would only be able to handle Sony files. If you have other cameras, you won't be able to handle their files.

dwood

I think that the Sony version will be exactly the same as the complete version, with the exception that you would only be able to handle Sony files. If you have other cameras, you won't be able to handle their files.
Yes, this is correct. I bought this last night for a whopping $30. As hcubell notes above, they still have work to do in terms of providing FE lens profiles other than the 28-70, but I really like what I'm getting out of my a7r files with C1P8-Sony.

I wonder, though, why Phase has released a pro version of C18 specifically for Sony cameras. Sony and Phase have a biz relationship on the sensor side, but this suggests some other strategic relationship, and I wonder what that's all about, now and going forward.

iiiNelson

Yes, this is correct. I bought this last night for a whopping $30. As hcubell notes above, they still have work to do in terms of providing FE lens profiles other than the 28-70, but I really like what I'm getting out of my a7r files with C1P8-Sony.

I wonder, though, why Phase has released a pro version of C18 specifically for Sony cameras. Sony and Phase have a biz relationship on the sensor side, but this suggests some other strategic relationship, and I wonder what that's all about, now and going forward.
I wouldn't be surprised to see C1 included in the next round of Sony cameras in lieu of Sony IDC. They had a similar relationship with Leica up until the rumors of the S2 started circling.

I will say that they have to quickly support Sony Lenses and improve stability otherwise it'll be a bust for me. Releases shouldn't be as buggy/ glitchy as beta versions.

Say what you will about Adobe, the subscriptions, or whether or not they have the best Raw converters - they do update and support new cameras and lenses frequently and early in the life cycle. I'm glad to see more companies are taking notice of Sony's innovation and phot products.

iiiNelson

I believe it also includes support for Phase One family of MF cameras. At least I believe I read that somewhere.

dwood

I wouldn't be surprised to see C1 included in the next round of Sony cameras in lieu of Sony IDC. They had a similar relationship with Leica up until the rumors of the S2 started circling.

I will say that they have to quickly support Sony Lenses and improve stability otherwise it'll be a bust for me. Releases shouldn't be as buggy/ glitchy as beta versions.

Say what you will about Adobe, the subscriptions, or whether or not they have the best Raw converters - they do update and support new cameras and lenses frequently and early in the life cycle. I'm glad to see more companies are taking notice of Sony's innovation and phot products.
Like you, I wouldn't be surprised if a version of C1 (Express?) started showing up in Sony camera shipments. But Phase would not have needed to release a Pro version for Sony cameras in order to do a bundle deal. I downloaded the C1P8 demo yesterday afternoon and a few hours later, bought the Sony Pro version for $30. Did I mention that it was $30? This is certainly an aggressive approach to get Sony users into the C1 camp. It's interesting.

Yes, Phase really needs to put the hammer down on lens profile development. LR is WAY ahead on that front, and agree that Adobe is pretty good about staying on top of updating things for new cameras/glass. Speaking of LR, I've been a user from day one but I started getting up to speed on C1 Pro about a month or so ago, and for me, C1P's RAW conversion is really making the a7r files sing. I'm currently using a workflow that utilizes the best of both of these excellent tools to get the images I'm after. Thus far, C1 has been stable for me.

iiiNelson

Yeah I tried C1Pro7 this summer and I like the results but the lack of lens support for Sony, the unclear nature of whether edits are nondestructive, plus all the niggling bugs kinda left me a little sour about the user experience as a whole. I used C1Express4 in the past with my Leica's prior to getting LR2 then later switching to Aperture 3. I definitely wouldn't mind having C1ProSony on a Surface Pro 3 for a tethered field or studio solution once it works as well as any other tethered camera.

I still prefer LR or Aperture catalogs overall and the user experience myself as they just work without all the issues but I will say I can see an immediate improvement initially in C1... I can get the files to nearly indistinguishable in LR though I feel.

I don't use all that fancy stuff like camera control or LV when in the studio so I'm not too bothered if that works yet. What is important to me is that if I click the camera shutter button the image appears on the monitor relativly quickly as Phase and Canon cameras function. Is that how the A7R now dunctions in C1 Pro 8?

I don't want the watch folder type approach where you always need to manually select the last image and then apply any adjustments.
Hi Everyone,

Ok, lots of comments but I will start here with Gazwas as he has made a correct statement above. First of all the versions of Capture One are..

Capture One Pro 8 - supports over 300 cameras, will tether without the need for additional software or hot folders, Nikon, Canon, Sony.

Capture One Pro 8 (for Sony) - Only supports Sony cameras but has all the same features as Pro, and will tether sony cameras without the need for additional software etc etc.

Capture One Express (for Sony) - Completely FREE version with fewer features then Pro but tethering ONLY possible if you use Sony Remote Camera Control with a hot folder. Next adjustments are not applied automatically like they are in PRO.

So, yes, you are correct that currently you cannot adjust settings from Capture One, but that will change in the future. The implementation is as is for reasons of stability, reliability etc as this is a completely new way of tethering to Capture One with a new manufacturer.

But, if you hit the shutter on the camera, it will load into Capture One nice and fast and apply the previous settings.

Cost - wise if you want to upgrade the FREE express to Capture One Pro (for sony) its 30 bucks, which is an amazing price when you consider the price of Pro.

Hope that clears up a few things.

David

With regards to lens corrections we read the EXIF data supplied by Sony in the RAW file for the attached lens and correct from there. (distortion / light fall off)

You can additionally analyse for chromatic aberration which will improve it further and adjust purple fringing from 0-100%, and also place that on a local adjustment if you wish.

Can I just ask you folks about C1 "screen behaviour"? The main reason I ditched the software long ago was this:

Making a change, say clarity or anything the likes, the moment you started picking and moving the slider would cause the screen to blur the picture until you had your slider positioned and let it go.

Now, in fairness, I dropped C1 with Version 4.8.2 because of that and did not look back. So it might well be that this has been solved long time, but back then when I spoke with phase about it, calling a spade a spade, I said there are easier ways to ruin my eyesight, and they said this is due to the way the algorithm is calculating and can not be changed.

Hence I am curious whether this is still the same behaviour.

Thanks.
Thats absolutely ancient history!