The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Have all Canon fans moved to Fred Miranda?

Uaiomex

It's being more than two days since the official annoucement of the said "most waited" 7DMkII and no one has posted about it. Not yet anyway.
Just saying
Eduardo

Just my opinion, but I think Canon has 'lost the plot'. The 7D and the G7 both seem too little too late to me.

(I have Nikon and Sony gear, but I was still hoping that Canon would introduce something exciting to keep everyone on their toes.)

iiiNelson

It's being more than two days since the official annoucement of the said "most waited" 7DMkII and no one has posted about it. Not yet anyway.
Just saying
Eduardo
I don't know if they moved or if there's just not much enthusiasm for the cameras they've announced the last 5 years beyond the 6D and the 1Dx.

My belief is that the updated Canon L glass is top of the pyramid for DSLR glass. I think many are still waiting on that rumored Nikon D8xx fighter to come that'll really take advantage of the lenses and the Zeiss ZE/ Otus glass as well.

Last edited:

Uaiomex

They're going bunkers at FM over a rumor. A 46mp 1Series body to be announced at PhotoPlus.
These are the best post and response in my opinion. LOL!!!
Eduardo

p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · OMG - 1DsX in NYC...

jorkata wrote:
Yup, high-resolution and high-DR are overrated ... until Canon doesn't have them.
But once Canon has them, high-resolution/high-DR will become of utmost importance.

Howard wrote:
How true! Some people can turn from utter denialism to total embrace overnight!

gazwas

Being a canon owner is quite depressing at the moment and many are looking to Sony as an interim until Canons D800/D810 rival gets announced but with each passing year its getting hard not to resist jumping ship.

The 7DII looks like a fantastic cameras with some really great features and of course as long as you don't need 4K video (most people) looks like a brilliant Video DSLR. However, at 20Mpix and the same old Canon 11 stop DR most like myself will just stick with what they have and continue to wait.

Capture One 8 has just given my1Ds3 and 5D2's another jump in quality again but the A7R is calling!

pegelli

I think we as photographers all thrive with 3-4 good brands competing on all fronts, irrespective of which camera's we actually own and use.

To say it with a term used by LuLa, I hope the eating of Canon and Nikon babies will stop soon. :)

gazwas

I think we as photographers all thrive with 3-4 good brands competing on all fronts, irrespective of which camera's we actually own and use.
Are Canon competing at the moment?

I know Canon make fine cameras and amongst the best lenses. And my cameras do produce some excellent results when you know what you're doing with lighting, software, technique etc but when you see the competition and what they are capable of it does seem Canon are just doing their own thing.

My next camera will probable be an Sony A7R even though I dislike having to use a questionable quality adapter between it and my TS-E lenses. It just pains me to think it was Canon who started this high megapixel, full frame, studio camera format that they now seem to have abandoned for sports cameras and video?

Uaiomex

Yes, the same thing comes around my mind and that's why I'm irritated at Canon.
Maybe the film/video development was a necessary thing but to me it seems like a dumb move. I don't think they being selling those expensive video cams like hotcakes but sure thing is, they have now a universe of disappointed, irritated still photographers everywhere.
I was a Canon fan but not anymore. At least not now. My heart belongs to Sony. As a 30 year pro, friends usually ask for advice on which camera to buy. I used to say always: Get a Canon. Now my endorsmemt goes to Sony or Fuji.

Concerning this rumor, I don't quite understand it. I think extremely few photographers would need a machine gun spitting a dozen 46mp's every second. At $8K I'd rather buy a 645Z or at a third the price a new version of the A7r with all rough edges smoothed out.
Eduardo

Are Canon competing at the moment?

I know Canon make fine cameras and amongst the best lenses. And my cameras do produce some excellent results when you know what you're doing with lighting, software, technique etc but when you see the competition and what they are capable of it does seem Canon are just doing their own thing.

My next camera will probable be an Sony A7R even though I dislike having to use a questionable quality adapter between it and my TS-E lenses. It just pains me to think it was Canon who started this high megapixel, full frame, studio camera format that they now seem to have abandoned for sports cameras and video?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
In fairness, the GetDPI readership has never been very Canon-centric, where FM has always been so. I think part of it -- and for lack of a classier way to say it -- is that Canon shooters tend to be a bit more brand-loyalist than we are over here in general. Fm-ers like discussing gear, and while we like discussing gear too, it is for us more about how to make our images regardless of brand or format.

I know this is a stupid thing to say, but I primarily think of Canons as video cameras. Not that they are incapable of taking stills, just that if I am using one, it is most likely for either video or timelapses. If I'm hanging out on GetDPI, it is to talk stills, not motion. The irony is that when I think of Canon lenses -- especially the TS/E glass -- I think stills. Not sure why, and I know it isn't rational, but I probably am not the only one.

Perhaps more broadly speaking, the FM types tend to be more interested in how many frames per second they can shoot of their cat on a brick wall and then looking at 100% crops of the whiskers. If I need a Canon question answered, I go over to POTN.

segedi

My enthusiasm for cropped sensor cameras has moved elsewhere...

But, the 24mm STM pancake lens looks pretty sweet. I have the 40mm and it's a gem.

philip_pj

What do you mean 'moved'? Fred refuses to set up a Sony forum.

In related news from our don't mention the war company:

“we have a 40% market share in the mirrorless segment”

About the A7 success story: “From a reputation point of view, very much so. It really did more than we expected. From a business point of view, because of this price point, it is of course not the kind of product that sells to millions but it is on track.”

iiiNelson

Canon has actual fans. News to me:grin:
I will say the 6D and the 1Dx are their most interesting cameras to me. The color out of them are actually very good to excellent. The AF is very accurate out of the 1Dx the couple of times I've played with my cousin's.

The revamped lens line is pretty good as well. It would be interesting to see them compete with Nikon and Sony a high MP studio type camera as well though.

Thomas Fallon

I used to be a Canon fan. When I bought my first digital camera, the ONLY ff was Canon. Nikon was so far behind, I thought they might go out of business. I bought each new release of the 1ds line though they were only incrementally better. I saw Nikon catch up and pass them. When the Sony A7r had double the resolution of my 1 dx I had finally had enough. I am enjoying my Zeiss (Canon mount) lenses on the Sony. I am enjoying my vintage FD 400 2.8 Canon on the Sony. I am enjoying my vintage Helios and Trioplan lenses on the Sony. Most of all, I am enjoying IQ that beats anything Canon has EVER offered. A 46 MP or more Canon has been rumored, not for months but for years. When they can kick everyone's *** for a few years (as they have been getting kicked for a few) I will consider coming back.

Thomas Fallon

Of course I will need a mirrorless body, focus peaking, EVF, articulating screen. I hope I don't sound like a bitter ex-fanboy of Canon.

Uaiomex

In response to Jack and to you. The use of these words for my post title was mainly as a short but catchy call.
They were also a way to make a little fun of Canon's lame announcements in comparison to other manufacturers and despite the world outcry for more true innovation and advancements in the sensor department. The title was not really made to be provocative.

I've been here (and there) enough time to know the facts Jack just wrote about.
It caught my attention and my curiosity that no one here commented on the official 7D2 announcement. That says something about how lame it was for so many photographers.

Something I didn't know is that Fred is being asked and refused for a Sony forum. I guess it means Fred is a diehard Canon fanboy. Sooner or later it will bite him.
LuLa and MR "endorse" more and more the smaller formats, something that in the past rarely happenned. Times are changing... fast.

Keep on shooting
Eduardo

What do you mean 'moved'? Fred refuses to set up a Sony forum.

In related news from our don't mention the war company:

“we have a 40% market share in the mirrorless segment”

About the A7 success story: “From a reputation point of view, very much so. It really did more than we expected. From a business point of view, because of this price point, it is of course not the kind of product that sells to millions but it is on track.”

Last edited:

mbroomfield

In response to Jack and to you. The use of these words for my post title was mainly as a short but catchy call.
They were also a way to make a little fun of Canon's lame announcements in comparison to other manufacturers and despite the world outcry for more true innovation and advancements in the sensor department. The title was not really made to be provocative.

I've been here (and there) enough time to know the facts Jack just wrote about.
It caught my attention and my curiosity that no one here commented on the official 7D2 announcement. That says something about how lame it was for so many photographers.

Something I didn't know is that Fred is being asked and refused for a Sony forum. I guess it means Fred is a diehard Canon fanboy. Sooner or later it will bite him.
LuLa and MR "endorse" more and more the smaller formats, something that in the past rarely happenned. Times are changing... fast.

Keep on shooting
Eduardo
The last poll for this (December) was interesting in that while the vote was in favour of a new Sony forum the discussion was against it (could be that only those against bothered to post of course). I posted in favour but in the discussion was swayed against and of course you can't change your vote. The initial Alt form was created almost purely for Canon users who were using other lenses with adapters, and if you look at the A7x image post you'll see a large number doing the same as the E-platform for obvious reasons. I think most people (who posted to keep the fora as they are) prefer the one stop shopping.

Edit: I don't know if he got rid of his Canon but Fred now shoots an A7r