The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What Was Your First Camera

dandrewk

The reminiscing occurring in another thread got me thinking: What was my first camera?

For me, well, I had a couple of cameras before I took photography seriously. In fact, I still have them :D :

I can still sing the Swinger's TV commercial jingle, verbatim. I can still smell the lacquer.

I also have my dad's first (and I think, only) still camera:

I was 12 years old when I got my first "serious" camera, just before we took a family vacation to Florida. A Honeywell Pentax H3V. It wasn't the "Spotmatic" with integrated light meter, but it did have a form fitting meter that clipped to the top of the prism. How cool was that? :)

Leigh

My first was a folder using 620 film. I don't remember the name.

I built a darkroom, developed and printed the film myself.

That was in 1952... 62 years ago.

- Leigh

pegelli

My first was an Agfa Iso-Rapid C. It made 24x24 mm pictures on 35 mm film and used these "cubes" with 4 flash bulbs that turned to the next "unused" flash bulb when you advanced the film. Obviously after 4 flashes you had to replace the whole cube with a new one.

After that it became more serious, I got my father's 1949 Leica IIIf with an Elmar 50/3.5 lens. I still have that lens and use it on my NEX camera's today:

Elderly

My first from about 50 years ago; also 24x24mm. Built in clockwork motor drive, all very serious!
I still have it.

Viramati

I can remember a box brownie and having a Kodak Starmite but it had a round flash reflector. I suppose my first serious camera was the Olympus OM-1

psy501

OM-1 with 50/1.8 here, too..bought in 1980 from my first job during the school holidays..great camera..the lens i still have..working fine as new..the camera i sold unfortunately a few years later to get a OM-2SP and a motordrive..wish i still had the OM-1..

Tim

As a young lad I was given a Kodak Instamatic 126 by my parents.
I still have the first images made from it, including a box of 126 slides. Circa 1972 I think.

I think the first camera I bought myself was an Olympus OM20 with a Zuiko 50mm f1.8.
Not long after that GAS set in and hasn't stopped since.

SamSS

For digital:
1MP HP C-20 (this one was really terrible to count as my first love.)
3.3 MP Epson PhotoPC 3000Z (paid $999 + tax FOB in June 2000)
The Epson's color was nice but very slow camera.

jeffnesh

In 1977 I was gifted a used Minolta SRT-100. Not the 'fancy' 101, but the more basic version. Loved that beast and still have it (which reminds me, I should take my own picture of it).

Got me through high school and college before I moved to a Minolta X-570, 600si, 9, some Nikons when I went digital, then a850, some Leica dabbling, and now back to the a7r. Can't seem to shake the Minolta vibe ;-)

-Jeff

ptomsu

Workshop Member
In 1968 I saved long time and finally could buy my first SLR - a Minolta SRT 101. Beautiful camera at this time.

My only lens for years was the Rokkor 1.7/50, which served me really well. Later I bought the Rokkor 2.8/135.

Still own all of them.

darrellc

First an Argus C3 in elementary school, then Pentax K1000 in middle school, then Nikon FE (don't know why I didn't buy the FM) used from around 8th or 9th grade until I went digital in 2003 or so. I remember lusting after a Nikonos as a teen, even though I'd never dived or snorkeled (except in a pool). Just thought it looked cool.

Thanks Mom & Dad!

f6cvalkyrie

My first ? A Mamiya DSX 500 with a 50mm lens on it. Like this one, but shortest shutter speed 1/500

Actually, I wanted a Rolleiflex, but my camera dealer couldn't get one on a relatively short notice. So Mamiya it was ..

Later, I bought a 300mm lens for it, for a "safari" in Kenya, and shot a lot of film there. The slides must still be somewhere in a box, I need to look for them, and find a way to scan them. After all, they are from 1977 !

In 1980, the Mamiya was sold, and I got myself my first NIKON, an FE with the 50/1.4 on it. That lens still finds a lot of use on my E-M5 nowadays !

C U,
Rafael