Site Sponsors

Thread: Dear Santa (Sony 2014 edition)

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Santa (Sony 2014 edition)

So Photokina has come and gone. No more mystery cameras or lenses will be announced (probably). The reviews still need to appear for the 16-35 zoom but for the most part the choices for this year are sort of there. What will Christmas bring?

For anyone who would like to play the game, just list what you'll get (or in these tough economic times, what you'd like to get) and we can kibbitz over choices and priorities. Not original or extremely valuable information but potentially fun and maybe interesting.

I'll start.

Dear Santa:
    I've been extremely good (meaning I sold off a bunch of kit) so bring me:
    A7S, LAEA4, 16-35 F/4

Yours truly
    me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Dear Santa (Sony 2014 edition)

Well - actually I want an A8r (A7r) with electronic shutter).
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    ... and IBIS!
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1 on IBIS (but not likely)
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    Well, Chinese New Year is in mid February. Knowing Sony they'll probably announce it by then so there's an excuse to buy it!

Post Thanks / Like

A camera that's like the A7 but plays as well with small wide angle lenses as the M240.

Or, a Leica FF M-mount camera with an EVF where the rangefinder goes. Which I'm sure they'll never do, but. . .

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Santa,

I already have a Sony that I'm completely satisfied with. I'd like a Leica M Edition 60, if you don't mind.

thanks!
    G

Post Thanks / Like

"Santa,
    I already have a Sony that I'm completely satisfied with. I'd like a Leica M Edition 60, if you don't mind.
    thanks!"

"A camera that's like the A7 but plays as well with small wide angle lenses as the M240.
    Or, a Leica FF M-mount camera with an EVF where the rangefinder goes. Which I'm sure they'll never do, but. . . "

Godfrey and Taylor:
    I read and heard that Leica had the nicest space at the Photokina. They seem to capture the imagination of many. To each his own I always say.

Ho, ho ho.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor Sherman View Post
    A camera that's like the A7 but plays as well with small wide angle lenses as the M240.

Or, a Leica FF M-mount camera with an EVF where the rangefinder goes. Which I'm sure they'll never do, but. . .
    while im all in for this, unfortunately, i think it's too late.

while flange distance is corrected via adapator, the angle of light landing on the micro lens in front of the sensor is too different, especialyl when it comes wiht extreme edges and corners. i think sony developed too many of their own lens to make any change to cater for the third party/legacy lens.

there is one solution i can think of, but i doubt they will spend too much resources to explore this option. it's by having some extreme IBIS which allows the sensor to move back and forth (Z direction) to optimise the light landing angle. almost like a secondary focus within the camera body.

there might be other solution, and i suspect thats what zeiss did with their new Loxia range. perhaps modify the rear lens elements to account for light landing angle from the lens end. exciting time ahead.... (would love a super compact 21mm Loxia that works from corner to corner)
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

36 megapixels is enough though I do not mind more if it does not stop following advancements, in order of importance. get first 3 done and I'm upgrading my A7R...
    - EFCS
    - preferably even a bit less shutter lag than current A7 has; most improvement here will come with the EFCS anyway, but A6000 level shutter lag would be awesome
    - A6000 level on sensor PDAF
    - a bit more burst speed (6-7 fps)
    - uncompressed RAW
    - still more improved in-camera HDR up to 9 pics with configurable bracketing
    - a pile of new Fn menu options like toggling Setting Effect on Live View on/off
    - Live view for USB tethering
    - Live Bulb a la Olympus m43

Looks like I'm the greediest kid on the block when it comes to gifts Given that all the zooms for FE mount are stabilized I do not expect the IBIS to appear.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Santa,

thanks!
    G
    You forgot the lens, Godfrey, but with such a special camera, you need a rather modest, little lens. An APO-Summicron 50 would suffice say I. And if Santa can't find your home, I'll ask him to bring it to me, so that I can keep it for you and keep it warm over the winter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    You forgot the lens, Godfrey, but with such a special camera, you need a rather modest, little lens. An APO-Summicron 50 would suffice say I. And if Santa can't find your home, I'll ask him to bring it to me, so that I can keep it for you and keep it warm over the winter
    The Leica M Edition 60 kit come with a matching finish Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH. :-)

I think most people complaining about the price tend to miss this. In addition to the $8000 body in the box there's a $5500 lens. The special edition tax is really only 30%...

G

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    The Leica M Edition 60 kit come with a matching finish Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH. :-)

I think most people complaining about the price tend to miss this. In addition to the $8000 body in the box there's a $5500 lens. The special edition tax is really only 30%...

G
    I didn't know. It's unfortunate that I can't afford one. I would love to have a camera without an LCD, which is why the screen on my Panasonics is always folded in towards the camera. But this is getting a bit OT, isn't it. We should be talking about the Sony Santa

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I didn't know. It's unfortunate that I can't afford one. I would love to have a camera without an LCD, which is why the screen on my Panasonics is always folded in towards the camera. But this is getting a bit OT, isn't it. We should be talking about the Sony Santa
    Well, I'll agree that the Leica M Edition 60 would be hard to construe as a Sony product, but all of the M-mount lenses (and just about anything that can be taped in front of an e-mount camera) probably could qualify as a Sony Christmas present. I have two a-mount lenses that I won't give up even if Sony discontinues that line. I don't expect to ever see an FE 200mm macro so adapters will probably always be part of the FE experience for me. For that reason non-FE lenses seem to me to be completely normal wishlist material for Santa.

Regards,
    John

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A7s...oh wait, I have that....

Probably an A7r Mk II, with electronic or leaf shutter, & better performance with wides...
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Santa can bring me a 55mm zeiss as well as a 16-35mm. =)

Once I have those two, I think I'll be satisfied for a bit. Oh, maybe an underwater housing to go with the wide angle!

If we're asking for something Santa Sony can start working on for next year, I'd wish for a fast portrait prime (not too much bigger than the 55mm please).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If sony listens:

step one was the A7S silent mode.

Now make this an A7II in 6 months with a Global shutter and full electronic syncing for any flash speed and 24 Mpix.
    Priced as the original A7 now.

I know Global shutter right now is darn expensive and bad for performance. But maybe some bunch of engineers like Sony can do it and bring this to mainstream.

Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wouldn't mind an LA-EA 6 with the PDAF system from the A77 II (except covering FF). That would be real nice.

The LA-EA 4 is useless in low light.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Easy to please me - a scaled up RX1 with the 44x33 sensor inside, same lens made larger into a 45/2 Sonnar, faster AF, weight up from 480 grams to around 650 grams - physical dimensions up 2cms in all directions. $4500 would cover it nicely as a profit centre, as all the R&D is done from before - leaf shutter, rear element-sensor distance, file corrections, etc. Could be the best image quality camera ever made, in a small light body.

Post Thanks / Like

Give me a99 mII that is jaw dropping as promised. If it's not much to ask, make that available to both A & E-mount so everybody would be happy.

OR, give me an upgrade a7z from my current a7...atleast equal or faster than that NX-1
    Don't really mind if it's a tad bigger.

Post Thanks / Like

Rather than a new and updated body like an A7r II, how about a first rate firmware update that addresses the shortcomings that affect us the most?

Joel

Post Thanks / Like

I don't need too much, just a slender, pocket-sized FF camera with built-in EVF and 35 or 40mm prime. Curved-sensor RX2?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4season View Post
    I don't need too much, just a slender, pocket-sized FF camera with built-in EVF and 35 or 40mm prime. Curved-sensor RX2?
    Be careful what you wish for. Santa might just bring you a new pair of trousers with really, REALLY big pockets!

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Santa,

1) Please make the new 16-35 F4 a sharp lens. Please!
    2) Please let Sony release a new version of the 24-70 without that little corner problem.
    3) Please let Sony find a solution for the annoying shutter shock in my A7r.
    4) Please let Zeiss release a really good 20mm Loxia.
    http://500px.com/ThomasZ

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not greedy :

a7r [update]; quiet shutter, smooth shutter release, EFC would be useful, no shutter shock with 50mm lens.

……………. Chris

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A9 mirrorless Medium Format camera, with the Sony MF sensor, with interchangeable lenses and a silent shutter. One or two good lenses to start with is enough.
    It will give a boost for the adapter producers to put all those wonderfull MF lenses from the past on it.
    But may be I ask to much!?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    A9 mirrorless Medium Format camera, with the Sony MF sensor, with interchangeable lenses and a silent shutter. One or two good lenses to start with is enough.
    It will give a boost for the adapter producers to put all those wonderfull MF lenses from the past on it.

Thanks. Great idea. Too bad I don't own any MF lenses yet.
    If such a Sony camera should materialize prices for MF lenses would increase no doubt!
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I am seriously interested in a next generation A7r like camera. Most important features are:

• First electronic curtain
    • Larger battery capacity
    • On sensor phase detecting AF like A7
    • More MP welcome

Lenses:
    • I would have an 24-70/4 or rather 24-105/4 (if there was one)
    • Loxia lenses, but perhaps not the present ones, 28, 50, 85 preferred
    • Keep existing A-lenses with adapter (24-70/2.8, 70-400)

Christmas may come a bit late this year.

Best regards
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by jfirneno View Post
    So Photokina has come and gone. No more mystery cameras or lenses will be announced (probably). The reviews still need to appear for the 16-35 zoom but for the most part the choices for this year are sort of there. What will Christmas bring?

For anyone who would like to play the game, just list what you'll get (or in these tough economic times, what you'd like to get) and we can kibbitz over choices and priorities. Not original or extremely valuable information but potentially fun and maybe interesting.

I'll start.

Dear Santa:
    I've been extremely good (meaning I sold off a bunch of kit) so bring me:
    A7S, LAEA4, 16-35 F/4

Yours truly
    me.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    No you're asking just enough. I think a MF mirrorless camera that has a short enough flange distance to adapt all of the major MF lenses to it (and FE/A-mount ones too for good measure) would be amazing. I've been torn between wanting MF for some time to better image my people and gritty black and white shots. All of the 645, 6x6, and 6x7 based MF solutions are all pretty bulky save for maybe the Arca TC camera. A "digital Mamiya 7" priced in line with the Pentax MF bodies ($5-8K) with EVF is essentially what would make me jump on that. Doesn't even have to be a FF... Actually while we're dreaming - why not make a MF A7s with wicked crazy high ISO and fat pixels with say 20-28 megapixels!?!
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

improved battery life