The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dear Santa (Sony 2014 edition)

jfirneno

So Photokina has come and gone. No more mystery cameras or lenses will be announced (probably). The reviews still need to appear for the 16-35 zoom but for the most part the choices for this year are sort of there. What will Christmas bring?

For anyone who would like to play the game, just list what you'll get (or in these tough economic times, what you'd like to get) and we can kibbitz over choices and priorities. Not original or extremely valuable information but potentially fun and maybe interesting.

I'll start.

Dear Santa:
I've been extremely good (meaning I sold off a bunch of kit) so bring me:
A7S, LAEA4, 16-35 F/4

Yours truly
me.

Taylor Sherman

A camera that's like the A7 but plays as well with small wide angle lenses as the M240.

Or, a Leica FF M-mount camera with an EVF where the rangefinder goes. Which I'm sure they'll never do, but. . .

Godfrey

Santa,

I already have a Sony that I'm completely satisfied with. I'd like a Leica M Edition 60, if you don't mind.

thanks!
G

jfirneno

"Santa,
I already have a Sony that I'm completely satisfied with. I'd like a Leica M Edition 60, if you don't mind.
thanks!"

"A camera that's like the A7 but plays as well with small wide angle lenses as the M240.
Or, a Leica FF M-mount camera with an EVF where the rangefinder goes. Which I'm sure they'll never do, but. . . "

Godfrey and Taylor:
I read and heard that Leica had the nicest space at the Photokina. They seem to capture the imagination of many. To each his own I always say.

Ho, ho ho.

UHDR

A camera that's like the A7 but plays as well with small wide angle lenses as the M240.

Or, a Leica FF M-mount camera with an EVF where the rangefinder goes. Which I'm sure they'll never do, but. . .
while im all in for this, unfortunately, i think it's too late.

while flange distance is corrected via adapator, the angle of light landing on the micro lens in front of the sensor is too different, especialyl when it comes wiht extreme edges and corners. i think sony developed too many of their own lens to make any change to cater for the third party/legacy lens.

there is one solution i can think of, but i doubt they will spend too much resources to explore this option. it's by having some extreme IBIS which allows the sensor to move back and forth (Z direction) to optimise the light landing angle. almost like a secondary focus within the camera body.

there might be other solution, and i suspect thats what zeiss did with their new Loxia range. perhaps modify the rear lens elements to account for light landing angle from the lens end. exciting time ahead.... (would love a super compact 21mm Loxia that works from corner to corner)

tn1krr

36 megapixels is enough though I do not mind more if it does not stop following advancements, in order of importance. get first 3 done and I'm upgrading my A7R...
- EFCS
- preferably even a bit less shutter lag than current A7 has; most improvement here will come with the EFCS anyway, but A6000 level shutter lag would be awesome
- A6000 level on sensor PDAF
- a bit more burst speed (6-7 fps)
- uncompressed RAW
- still more improved in-camera HDR up to 9 pics with configurable bracketing
- a pile of new Fn menu options like toggling Setting Effect on Live View on/off
- Live view for USB tethering
- Live Bulb a la Olympus m43

Looks like I'm the greediest kid on the block when it comes to gifts :) Given that all the zooms for FE mount are stabilized I do not expect the IBIS to appear.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Santa,

thanks!
G
You forgot the lens, Godfrey, but with such a special camera, you need a rather modest, little lens. An APO-Summicron 50 would suffice say I. And if Santa can't find your home, I'll ask him to bring it to me, so that I can keep it for you and keep it warm over the winter :D

Godfrey

You forgot the lens, Godfrey, but with such a special camera, you need a rather modest, little lens. An APO-Summicron 50 would suffice say I. And if Santa can't find your home, I'll ask him to bring it to me, so that I can keep it for you and keep it warm over the winter :D
The Leica M Edition 60 kit come with a matching finish Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH. :)

I think most people complaining about the price tend to miss this. In addition to the $8000 body in the box there's a $5500 lens. The special edition tax is really only 30%...

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The Leica M Edition 60 kit come with a matching finish Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH. :)

I think most people complaining about the price tend to miss this. In addition to the $8000 body in the box there's a $5500 lens. The special edition tax is really only 30%...

G
I didn't know. It's unfortunate that I can't afford one. I would love to have a camera without an LCD, which is why the screen on my Panasonics is always folded in towards the camera. But this is getting a bit OT, isn't it. We should be talking about the Sony Santa :)

jfirneno

I didn't know. It's unfortunate that I can't afford one. I would love to have a camera without an LCD, which is why the screen on my Panasonics is always folded in towards the camera. But this is getting a bit OT, isn't it. We should be talking about the Sony Santa :)
Well, I'll agree that the Leica M Edition 60 would be hard to construe as a Sony product, but all of the M-mount lenses (and just about anything that can be taped in front of an e-mount camera) probably could qualify as a Sony Christmas present. I have two a-mount lenses that I won't give up even if Sony discontinues that line. I don't expect to ever see an FE 200mm macro so adapters will probably always be part of the FE experience for me. For that reason non-FE lenses seem to me to be completely normal wishlist material for Santa.

Regards,
John

ashwinrao1

A7s...oh wait, I have that....

Probably an A7r Mk II, with electronic or leaf shutter, & better performance with wides...

ggibson

Santa can bring me a 55mm zeiss as well as a 16-35mm. =)

Once I have those two, I think I'll be satisfied for a bit. Oh, maybe an underwater housing to go with the wide angle!

If we're asking for something Santa Sony can start working on for next year, I'd wish for a fast portrait prime (not too much bigger than the 55mm please).

Stefan Steib

If sony listens:

step one was the A7S silent mode.

Now make this an A7II in 6 months with a Global shutter and full electronic syncing for any flash speed and 24 Mpix.
Priced as the original A7 now.

I know Global shutter right now is darn expensive and bad for performance. But maybe some bunch of engineers like Sony can do it and bring this to mainstream.

Stefan

I wouldn't mind an LA-EA 6 with the PDAF system from the A77 II (except covering FF). That would be real nice.

The LA-EA 4 is useless in low light.

philip_pj

Easy to please me - a scaled up RX1 with the 44x33 sensor inside, same lens made larger into a 45/2 Sonnar, faster AF, weight up from 480 grams to around 650 grams - physical dimensions up 2cms in all directions. $4500 would cover it nicely as a profit centre, as all the R&D is done from before - leaf shutter, rear element-sensor distance, file corrections, etc. Could be the best image quality camera ever made, in a small light body.

SamSS

Give me a99 mII that is jaw dropping as promised. If it's not much to ask, make that available to both A & E-mount so everybody would be happy.

OR, give me an upgrade a7z from my current a7...atleast equal or faster than that NX-1
Don't really mind if it's a tad bigger.