The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Advice Needed for Adapters for A7

pflower

I have finally succumbed and bought an A7. I have ordered the Sony Zeiss 35mm and have a couple of M mount Voightlanders with a Novoflex adapter which work happily.

However I am also considering buying some 2nd hand Nikon or Canon lenses for occasional use. Some of those are autofocus without the usual aperture ring and I am wondering whether these are in fact useable at all. I am woefully ignorant as to adapters and wonder if anyone can help with some advice.

I don't need the Metabones speed booster, just an adapter which will work. Are there any adapters out there that will allow lenses without an aperture ring to work and if so which ones are recommended. Or am I restricted to buying lenses with an aperture ring and using adapters which allow a stop down to the selected aperture on the lens?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

manouch shirzad

Workshop & Subscriber Member
I use Fotodiox adapters with a lot of different lenses including, Nikkor ai, Canon fd, Pentax,
Minolta, and medium format Hasselblad V, and Mamayia 645 lenses without any problem.
Off course non of them is autofocus.
------------
Manouch

mbroomfield

For the EOS Canon lenses you have to use an AF "Smart" adapter to control the aperture (no-one makes an adapter that will allow aperture control but not AF). There are several cheaper than Metabones, just search on ebay; King, Viltrox, Techart etc. AF is pretty slow so I just use them for the aperture control (and IS if the lens has it).

For the Nikon lenses you need a G adapter for the G lenses so that you can control the aperture. E lenses have electronic apertures and there are no adapters that will work with them.

Godfrey

I stick with Nikon and Leica R. For them I use Novoflex adapters. The Novoflex NEX/NIK has an auxiliary aperture ring for those Nikon lenses sans aperture ring.

The nice thing about sticking with Novoflex, aside from their quality, is that you can also use the Novoflex ASTAT/NEX tripod mounting accessory with all of them. This puts the tripod mount in the right location, takes the loads off the NEX tripod mount, and balances the rig better.

Canon FL/FD are all manual, mechanical lenses and the Novoflex adapter for them would be my choice. The Canon EF lenses are all electronic interfaces ... I don't know what I'd use for them, I don't normally try to adapt electronic interface lenses.

G

Last edited:

Shac

Like Godfrey - I use Novflex adapters (with the ASTAT/NEX tripod collar) for my Nikon and Leica R lenses) - for the couple of Canon FD lenses I use - I have a cheapish Pixco adapter, which happens to have the same diameter as the ASTAT/NEX tripod collar - very useful. Recently I bought the Voigtlander VM-E Close Focus Adapter for my Leica M lenses - expensive but excellent quality

Transposure

Pflower,
I know you said you don't want the Metabones Speedbooster, however, what about the Metabones Smart Adapter IV?
I use it on my A7R and I can use autofocus and aperture adjustment on all of my EF lenses. The AF is slower than normal on a Canon body, but it works well.

Metabones Smart Adapter IV Direct Link