Site Sponsors

Thread: TS-E 17mm f/4L image movement when focusing

Post Thanks / Like

TS-E 17mm f/4L image movement when focusing

Just got the Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L and was trying it out and noticed that when turning the focus ring back and forth while fine tuning the focus on my a7r in the magnification mode, the image shifts slightly to the left and right when the direction of rotation is changed. I have never seen anything like this with any other lens on the camera when manually focusing.

All the shift movements were locked down in the centered positions, so its not the lens shifting. Seems like a lens element is shifting slightly in the horizontal direction with the change in direction of the focus ring.

Has anyone seen this when using this lens?

Thanks.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: TS-E 17mm f/4L image movement when focusing

Not on my 17 Tse have I noticed that. But will double check
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

I am still within the return window on this lens so will really appreciate hearing back.

To add a bit more detail, if I go from rotating CCW to CW the image jumps to the left and from CW to CCW it jumps to the right. Its not a subtle thing, but it jumps right out at you. If I rotate the lens so the movement is vertical then I don't see any movement when reversing focus direction.

As you know, two magnification clicks brings up the "x14.4" in the upper left hand corner of the screen and the amount of horizontal movement seen on the screen is about equal to the width of the "1" in the "14.4" when the image is in sharp focus. Obviously has to be tripod mounted to see it.

Images so far seem fine, but at this price point want to be sure there is not some problem that is going to show up over time.

Post Thanks / Like

My 45 t/s-e does that, which is probably par for that lens, but not the 17, 24 or 90.

Post Thanks / Like

All my TS-E lenses do that.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Checked my 17 it does nothing as described.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com