Site Sponsors

Thread: New Loxia 50mm review

Post Thanks / Like

New Loxia 50mm review

The always hyperactive and sometimes useful theater of the absurd that is Sonyalpharumors had a new batch of reviews on the Loxia lenses. I think this one (link below) is the most informative:

#283. Zeiss Loxia 50mm f/2.0 first review | DearSusan

I'm more in the market for a 20mm focal length myself but it's encouraging (and tempting) to hear that Zeiss is providing these excellent manual focus alternatives to the FE lenses (which I also find excellent in their own and different way).

Regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Loxia 50mm review

Interesting. I can't see this lens replacing my FE 55/1.8 and it is a strange choice that Zeiss would launch it first when I suspect a lot of photographers are anxiously awaiting the 35/2 (I have a pre-order in for that lens).

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Interesting. I can't see this lens replacing my FE 55/1.8 and it is a strange choice that Zeiss would launch it first when I suspect a lot of photographers are anxiously awaiting the 35/2 (I have a pre-order in for that lens).

LouisB
    From all the speculation about this very point the theory that stands out in my mind is that videographers want lenses that can be "declicked" with respect to aperture control. That also explains the early appearance of that monstrously big 28-135 power zoom. Must be a very big market for such things.
    Regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't see the attraction for still photographers -- if I wanted a sweet 50/2, I'd mount a Cron...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I don't see the attraction for still photographers -- if I wanted a sweet 50/2, I'd mount a Cron...
    If the Cron is the better lens and you already have it then it's a no brainer. I guess Zeiss has always been a less expensive option to Leica. The Loxia is less than half the price of the Summicron.

The added advantage would be the electronic communication allows manual focus aids to behave as if it were a Sony lens and you get the lens info as metadata on the file.

The two new Loxia lenses may not be ones I need. But I'm glad they are out there for people who do want them. And I think they add value to the A7 line (and a little bit of excitement for the future with other lenses that might appeal to me!).

Regards,
    John
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I wanted a sweet 50/2 so I bought a ZM 50/2 Planar for my M9 instead of the Cron... I do have a 50 Lux FLE though.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You don't need a adapter either and your control is on camera not in the lens. So it acts like your other FE mounts. Sometimes a big issue for folks is going back and forth through operation of your lenses. One you have to use aperture ring another your on camera. I actually like the idea of these it's like working the same with my canon TSE lens I control focus and all lenses are controlled by camera dial. Plus these are less costly. I would not mind the 35 to replace my Signa Art which is huge
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post