Site Sponsors

Thread: A900: issue with the remote?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A900: issue with the remote?

When I finally got around to trying the Infrared Remote that came with the A900, it didn't work. (yes, I DID remove the plastic tab.)

I called Sony and they had me remove the battery and then press each button twice to reset the unit, then reinstall the battery. That didn't work. I was then told to send it in to be looked at by a tech person. I was sure it was a dead battery, but got the run around from them about sending me a new battery.

So, while ordering a few items from the Sony store, I just ordered a second remote for $29. since I wanted a back-up anyway. That arrived DOA also.

Thinking that Sony was shipping remotes with dead batteries, I ordered 4 new batteries from B&H (they are cheap.) That also didn't help.

Does your remote work? If so, when you press a button, does the little diode bulb in the front light up?

Also, does anyone know if you can use a hardwire type electronic release? The ones I can find are for the smaller Sony's. If the remote is unreliable, I just as soon use a regular release anyway.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: A900: issue with the remote?

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    When I finally got around to trying the Infrared Remote that came with the A900, it didn't work. (yes, I DID remove the plastic tab.)

I called Sony and they had me remove the battery and then press each button twice to reset the unit, then reinstall the battery. That didn't work. I was then told to send it in to be looked at by a tech person. I was sure it was a dead battery, but got the run around from them about sending me a new battery.

So, while ordering a few items from the Sony store, I just ordered a second remote for $29. since I wanted a back-up anyway. That arrived DOA also.

Thinking that Sony was shipping remotes with dead batteries, I ordered 4 new batteries from B&H (they are cheap.) That also didn't help.

Does your remote work? If so, when you press a button, does the little diode bulb in the front light up?

Also, does anyone know if you can use a hardwire type electronic release? The ones I can find are for the smaller Sony's. If the remote is unreliable, I just as soon use a regular release anyway.
    Hi Marc
    I'm ashamed to say I didn't even know that there WAS an IR remote

I'll have a look this evening and see if it's in the box . . . and if it works.

Just this guy you know

nautilus

Asking never hurts
    Do you know that the sensor is in front of the camera and that it will probably never work despite of what battery you use if you use the remote from the back side of the camera?

There are two electronic cable releases, a short one and a longer one that work since Minolta times - with Sony cameras as well. You should find the socket mentioned in your manual.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Marc,

I just went to test mine for the first time (I have used this type of remote on my previous Sony A700). It didn't work - but the problem was the insulation sheet had snapped off and was still blocking the battery.

After a few minutes of forcing to try and open the battery cover on the remote, I opted for reading the instructions to find I had to press the tab first and then try and open the battery lid.

The LED on the front of the remote does not light up as it is infrared, however if you have a webcam you can see the IR light on that (my webcam in the iMac works for that).

I presume that you are first putting the A900 into the Remote commander mode from the Drive button first? Then you hit shutter button on the remote and you should see the red light on the front of the camera flash.

Note the 2 sec button on the IR remote does not do MLU unlike when you use the camera 2 sec timer which does. (If you need a remote and 2 sec timer with MLU then you have to use a wired remote, there are eBay items that work as well as the Sony wired remote).

Hope that helps
    David Anderson

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nautilus View Post
    Asking never hurts
    Do you know that the sensor is in front of the camera and that it will probably never work despite of what battery you use if you use the remote from the back side of the camera?

There are two electronic cable releases, a short one and a longer one that work since Minolta times - with Sony cameras as well. You should find the socket mentioned in your manual.
    Yes I know ... no luck.

Does the little light on the front of the remote light up is the question. Mine doesn't on either unit with new batteries and all.

I'll look into the hardwire release, but couldn't find any info in the A900 manual ... but I'll look again.

Post Thanks / Like

No the light on the front is INFRA-RED so you cannot see it (unless you use a camera that is IR sensitive like most video webcams).
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like

David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like

Remote terminal Page 40 Item 6 in the manual
    David Anderson

LargeFormat

Not wishing to teach anyone to suck eggs but you are aware that the camera has to be set to receive the signal from the remote control. By the way I find it a huge advance over the ordinary delayed action.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LargeFormat View Post
    Not wishing to teach anyone to suck eggs but you are aware that the camera has to be set to receive the signal from the remote control. By the way I find it a huge advance over the ordinary delayed action.
    I suspected as much. But I'll be darned if I can find how to set it to recieve the signal in the manual ... can you please share the secret?

Thanks, -Marc

FOUND IT >>> PG 83 ... sets with the Drive selector ... Dunce cap for me.

Why the Sony tech folks didn't mention that amazes me
    Last edited by fotografz; 31st January 2009 at 03:07.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Why the Sony tech folks didn't mention that amazes me
    Really?

Post Thanks / Like

I did mention it in post #4
    David Anderson

LargeFormat

It's not very obvious.

Post Thanks / Like

What's not obvious? - my post or the Sony instructions in the manual?

I said in Post #4
    I presume that you are first putting the A900 into the Remote commander mode from the Drive button first?
    David Anderson