The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

It is starting...

Just completed shooting weekend one of the Austin City Limits music festival for Rolling Stone. The music pits at festivals have predominantly been populated by pros that shoot for wire or editorial, slinging big SLRs, all the way down to bloggers with entry level SLRs and kit lenses.

I've been shooting these events with at least one mirrorless as a companion to my A900 for several years now but this was the first year I tackled the whole thing with just an A7 and A7s body - admittedly, I still leaned on the LA-EA adapter and an A-mount lens on the A7.

None of this is news but what was interesting, was the number of other mirrorless shooters that were popping up in the photo pits. I met another A7 shooter, saw an A6000, a couple Fuji bodies and an E-M1. The tides are changing.

10 Best Things We Saw at Austin City Limits Fest 2014 | Rolling Stone

jfirneno

I've been shooting these events with at least one mirrorless as a companion to my A900 for several years now but this was the first year I tackled the whole thing with just an A7 and A7s body - admittedly, I still leaned on the LA-EA adapter and an A-mount lens on the A7.
Interesting. What item, in your opinion, is the next thing that needs to be added to the A7 system to add the biggest boost to your kind of shooting?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Happened to talk to my photo dealer (here in Austria) today and he said that DSLRs are bought much less compared to CSCs. And at least Nikon has acknowledged that unofficially to him already.

Not sure what Nikon and Canon will (can) do about it, as building up a new mirror less system is at least something which takes 2-4 years. Maybe it is already too late for them ;) but then it is because they just have been ignorant too long.

Annna T

Happened to talk to my photo dealer (here in Austria) today and he said that DSLRs are bought much less compared to CSCs. And at least Nikon has acknowledged that unofficially to him already.

Not sure what Nikon and Canon will (can) do about it, as building up a new mirror less system is at least something which takes 2-4 years. Maybe it is already too late for them ;) but then it is because they just have been ignorant too long.
The problem is that in absolute numbers the DSLRs selling are drastically diminishing, but the mirrorless cameras are flat : aka they are not growing in absolute numbers, while they are growing in relative numbers (in percentage of the total number of cameras sold).

This doesn't bode very well for the two big players Canon & Nikon, however the mirrorless manufacturers are apparently still loosing money, which isn't very good either for the industry (they are all facing problems).

For more on that : look at Sansmirror last article. Or at this one.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
iPhone is killing all of it. My iPhone 6 camera is actually damn good. I would be nuts to go buy a point and shoot at this point. But worse is the selfie craze. I honestly believe this is totally a self esteem thing and having kids myself this is getting worse and worse. I would never EVER do a selfie. Who the hell wants to see me. No one not even my wife. Lol

biglouis

I agree with Guy the P&S thing except for serious amateur cameras (e.g. Ricoh GR) is over.

I have for a long time compared Sony to Microsoft. Like Microsoft they set their aim to dominate a market and they always get there.

What has almost certainly out a nail in Nikon's coffin are the use of the same sensors but in smaller more portable cameras.

LouisB

Interesting. What item, in your opinion, is the next thing that needs to be added to the A7 system to add the biggest boost to your kind of shooting?
Clearly the sensors are near faultless at this stage. My only desire is for operating speed enhancements and to flesh out the fast prime lens lineup. Things like, waking from sleep need to be instantaneous so you don't miss a shot when switching from one body to the other. I will always take faster AF but as is, the system is pretty darn good. The A7s did surprise me by hunting badly in heavy (read extreme) backlighting from powerful stage strobes during a DJ set. Normally it is rock solid in low light.

Also, as a stopgap, I would take an improved LAEA adapter with better AF performance in low light. The current adapter is fine in good to moderate light but will hunt in low light. Very aggravating.

I might also change my style of shooting someday when object tracking is truly useable in challenging light situations with fast moving subjects but I don't count this as a critical feature for me today.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Agree more than anything a better adapter would help a great deal and also take advantage of all the AF points