The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tamron 15-30mm

UHDR

here's an interesting thought. the new tamron 15-30mm looks promising, but for A7/r/s users, will you pick up the A-mount version and use LA-EA or will you accept slower AF but in exchange for VC by getting the canon version with EF/e-mount adaptor? :D

iiiNelson

I don't have either the Canon or Sony A mount adapters but if AF speed was a priority I'd get the Sony.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
here's an interesting thought. the new tamron 15-30mm looks promising, but for A7/r/s users, will you pick up the A-mount version and use LA-EA or will you accept slower AF but in exchange for VC by getting the canon version with EF/e-mount adaptor? :D
I'd wait for the Sony Zeiss 16-35mm FE. :angel::D

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have both and its a great question. If and that is a big if canon comes out with a wiz bang mirror less cam in Jan. than one has to wonder at least I do my canon 17tse fits only the E mount and canon of course. The A mount camera don't help me here if they make there wiz bang 46 mix cam in January. I need a E mount.

Once again I'm on hold till I can plan better

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
I'm being told from those at Sony who have tested it, the Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm f/4 ZA OSS Lens (Part #: SEL1635Z) is a lens I will want to order for my A7S. For my video work it is perfect zoom range and with the OSS that so I badly need.

ecsh

I have been using my A mount lens on my A7r, and having more pleasing results than using the 28-70 or 35 FE lens. AF is more than fast enough for what i am doing.

biglouis

Out of interest, what in-camera lens correction do you get when you use a lens via the LE-A4?

LouisB

UHDR

I'd wait for the Sony Zeiss 16-35mm FE. :angel::D
but from the look of it, it could cost far more than the Tamron. :banghead: but tamron will have VC (if going via canon route) and F2.8.

if what tramon claim is true (in Matt Granger's video, he said Tamron aim to beat nikon's offering and not just match it), then Tamron may be a real alternative. :D

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
but from the look of it, it could cost far more than the Tamron. :banghead: but tamron will have VC (if going via canon route) and F2.8.

if what tramon claim is true (in Matt Granger's video, he said Tamron aim to beat nikon's offering and not just match it), then Tamron may be a real alternative. :D
To be honest, I am probably too old for Tamron to really catch my attention. Too many years of reaching for an alternative only to find the construction build, performance, resolution, fit and finish were sub par when compared to the "brand name." Zeiss on the other hand has always pleased me. Full disclosure, over the years I have owned many Zeiss branded lenses. I own several now, and use them daily. I have only owned one Tamron zoom, that one acquired by trade several years ago and disposed of shortly after. So I am strongly biased towards Zeiss glass. Call me a fanboy, it's true ;)

I'd think for Tamron to sell very many lenses they are going to have to continue to come in at a price substantially lower than Nikon, Canon, or Sony. Or Sigma who is also making some premium quality glass with their Art Series. So yes, I'd expect the Sony to be a couple hundred bucks more expensive. My best guess would be about $900 for the Tamron with the Sony at $1,300.

Another issue for me is size and weight. I can no longer carry thirty pounds of gear on my shoulder, I'm just too old, and though possible on my back still doing so makes for very uncomfortable moving and shooting. Big, fat zooms also mean big, fat camera bags. :thumbdown:

For my A7S, the difference between an f/2.8 and an f/4 is a joke. I shoot the A7S at default ISO 3200 (required by Sony for S-Log2 video) so if anything I am padding down the light adding ND filters. On my A7R I don't need the speed either, as I bring an A7S :) and make them share the same lens set. But ISO 6400 is usable on all the Sony A series cameras, so while always nice, the absolute need for an f/2.8 zoom is a holdover from days when very few cameras even gave you a decent ISO 800. Those days are gone. There is no such a thing as a bad camera anymore in normal light. The cameras we're all using here feature varying degrees of good at high ISO ranging to better, ranging to mind blowing in the case of the A7S.

The new Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm f/4 ZA OSS being an OSS designated lens means it has the Sony image stabilization system built in, so at minimum that is a wash. All complete speculation right now, as nobody has tested the Tamron or the Sony yet, but somehow I kind of doubt their image stabilization will be up to the calibre of Sony's engineering, but I would be quite happy to be proven wrong. I'd LOVE a cheap zoom alternative that has great quality and stabilization.

You bring up a great point with the stabilization issue UHDR. This is critical focal length territory for video shooters, as most use this range frequently. We need all the help we can get with stabilization too. Sometimes a bit of movement in a still can create magic, where a bit of wiggle in a video makes it junk.

gurtch

I believe it automatically applies the A-mount corrections since the camera talks to the lenses by means of the LA-E4.
I used an older Minolta 20mm f2.8 with LA4 Sony adapter on my A7R. Adobe ACR recognized the combination as a Sony 20mm f2.8 lens (a rebadged Minolta 20mm f2.8) and allowed me to use automatic lens corrections. Hope this helps
Dave