The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone using the Canon 16-35mm f4 IS L on the Sony A7R?

nikonf

Hello,

I am considering this lens in combination with the Metabones IV Canon EOS to Sony FE adapter.

Many people report it is optically superior to the Nikon equivalent, with much lower distortion.

I would like to use the smaller Zeiss 16-35mm OSS but I am afraid it would have the same issues the 24-70mm did and possibly manufacturing defects.
My Zeiss ZA 24-70mm f2.8 has a noticeable wobble in the zoom barrel, even when set to the 24mm lens setting when it is fully retracted.
Sony customer service was "NICE" enough to give me an estimate of $1200 to repair the defect in the lens, which I found to be an insult to a customer with 4 lenses and a significant investment in Sony Alpha and Sony FE equipment.
My educated guess is they would just replace the entire lens module or give me a new lens.
The lens has had this defect since the day I purchased it.

Any ideas?

Best regards,
Mike

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Mike, did they give you a reason for charging for the repair?
When and where did you buy it? Is the one year warranty up?

D

Deleted member 7792

Mike, I use the Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS with the Metabones III adapter and a7R. I can't offer a comparison to the Nikon equivalent, but the Canon 16-35mm is "the sharpest knife in the drawer". It may be as sharp as the Leica WATE, which I also use, but I haven't done a scientific comparison. My experience with the Sony FE lenses (24-70mm, 55mm, 35mm and 70-200mm) has been thankfully different from yours. I've had no issues with either build quality or IQ. When the Sony-Zeiss 16-35mm OSS is available, I intend to get my hands on one to compare it to the Canon. I hate using adapters, so my preference would be to use the native Sony-Zeiss lens. But if it isn't razor sharp, the Canon will stay in the kit. If you'd like to see some raw files or large JPEGs, let me know.

Joe

KiboOst

I received my 16-35 4L a few days ago, and with metabonesIII on A7R it is tack sharp across the frame till f4. An amazing lense for sure ...

nikonf

Hi Chuck,

I bought it from B&H and the one year warranty has expired.
I just thought it was ridiculous for them to charge a good customer that kind of money.
Maybe I expect too much.
I still think I shouldn't have to pay for a manufacturing defect.
Maybe I can ask the technician that signed off on the assembly to tighten it now? lol

Mike, did they give you a reason for charging for the repair?
When and where did you buy it? Is the one year warranty up?

nikonf

Joe,

I would love to see some raw files - thank you very much.

My friend told me the Canon is very much superior to the Nikon equivalent, which has extreme distortion and poor resolution in the corners.

Do you find the Canon 16-35 is difficult to use on the small A7R body with the Metabones III adapter? Do you always use it on a tripod?

Nice to hear from you,
Mike
Mike, I use the Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS with the Metabones III adapter and a7R. I can't offer a comparison to the Nikon equivalent, but the Canon 16-35mm is "the sharpest knife in the drawer". It may be as sharp as the Leica WATE, which I also use, but I haven't done a scientific comparison. My experience with the Sony FE lenses (24-70mm, 55mm, 35mm and 70-200mm) has been thankfully different from yours. I've had no issues with either build quality or IQ. When the Sony-Zeiss 16-35mm OSS is available, I intend to get my hands on one to compare it to the Canon. I hate using adapters, so my preference would be to use the native Sony-Zeiss lens. But if it isn't razor sharp, the Canon will stay in the kit. If you'd like to see some raw files or large JPEGs, let me know.

Joe

nikonf

Thank you for your response.
Finally Canon has built a wide angle zoom that can take advantage of the latest sensor technology.
I received my 16-35 4L a few days ago, and with metabonesIII on A7R it is tack sharp across the frame till f4. An amazing lense for sure ...