The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Im curious to see how these two play against each other...Samyang vs Loxia

iiiNelson

I have a pre-order in for the Loxia 35/2 because I find the FE 35/2.8 an uninteresting lens in terms of output.

However, I just can't see a Loxia 50/2 outshining the FE 55/1.8 which is the finest 'standard' lens I have ever owned.

Just my two cents.

LouisB
I agree the 35/2.8 is one of the more uninteresting 35's but it's decently competent. I'm eyeballing the 35 Loxia still but I think I'll wait and see how the 35 Distagon comes out first.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
I agree the 35/2.8 is one of the more uninteresting 35's but it's decently competent. I'm eyeballing the 35 Loxia still but I think I'll wait and see how the 35 Distagon comes out first.
I'm down with the feelings about the 35mm f/2.8 being "competent but uninteresting." Sonars have all been sort of that way, as I recall. The 55 f/1.8 is the only Sonar that I have. But I sure do love the fast Distagon lenses. Far more character. I'm looking forward to seeing the new Sony 35mm f/1.4 native mount, but not very likely I will be a buyer. I love my older Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 Distagon even if it is larger and manual focus only on the Sony bodies.

I've also an older pre-ASPH Leica 35mm 'Cron that is fantastic on all the Sony bodies. It lives on my A7R and produces stunning results. Seeing you also have a Leica 35mm 'Cron, I'm wondering why even look at another manual focus lens with one that good already in your bag?

iiiNelson

I'm down with the feelings about the 35mm f/2.8 being "competent but uninteresting." Sonars have all been sort of that way, as I recall. The 55 f/1.8 is the only Sonar that I have. But I sure do love the fast Distagon lenses. Far more character. I'm looking forward to seeing the new Sony 35mm f/1.4 native mount, but not very likely I will be a buyer. I love my older Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 Distagon even if it is larger and manual focus only on the Sony bodies.

I've also an older pre-ASPH Leica 35mm 'Cron that is fantastic on all the Sony bodies. It lives on my A7R and produces stunning results. Seeing you also have a Leica 35mm 'Cron, I'm wondering why even look at another manual focus lens with one that good already in your bag?
I have the newest 35 Cron ASPH and it doesn't play very well with the A7r. It's better with the A7 but the 35 Nokton 2 is better than it on both. The issue is that sometimes I like AF and I always like metadata.

As for Sonnars... I like the ZA 135/1.8 and plenty of other Sonnars. The 35/2.8 is really just too slow for me. I've since implemented a f/2 or faster rule for my primes.

biglouis

Chuck, I have thought of that. I've read varying accounts about the compatibility of 35 crons both pre-ASPH and ASPH and whether they really work well on the At/r. If I was sure a pre-ASPH cron would work really well that would be my lens of choice.

I have a C-Summicron 40/2 which is very good on both the A7 and A7r. Perhaps I should just cut my losses and only work with that.

The 35/2.8, though is my least used lens and the worst buy so far for my A7/r systems.

LouisB

Annna T

Chuck, I have thought of that. I've read varying accounts about the compatibility of 35 crons both pre-ASPH and ASPH and whether they really work well on the At/r. If I was sure a pre-ASPH cron would work really well that would be my lens of choice.

I have a C-Summicron 40/2 which is very good on both the A7 and A7r. Perhaps I should just cut my losses and only work with that.

The 35/2.8, though is my least used lens and the worst buy so far for my A7/r systems.

LouisB
I had an old Leica M 35mm F2 (is that a Sumicron ? I think the Elmarit are F2.8 right ?), well, the results were really weak and i sold it with my M6 (the seller told the body would be easier to sell with a lens).

ZoranC

I am 100% a photographer by hobby. I don't work for Sony or earn any significant income from them. That's not even my line of work. I think it's a little humorous that people accuse others of being an employee due to showing some enthusiasm about life.
Where do you see anybody "accusing you of being an employee"? I was making a point of why "sales figures" are not "ultimate test of lens" and you obviously completely misunderstood it.

biglouis

I had an old Leica M 35mm F2 (is that a Sumicron ? I think the Elmarit are F2.8 right ?), well, the results were really weak and i sold it with my M6 (the seller told the body would be easier to sell with a lens).
That is why I am inclined to wait for the Loxia 35/2. In any case the fact that it will automatically bring up focus magnifier and include lens data in the captures is nice to have.

LouisB

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member

LouisB
LouisB, my own 35mm 'Cron falls between serial numbers 2,468,501-2,503,100, which means it was made in 1971. I guess it would be called a Type II Pre-ASPH or some such. I posted some image samples from it, and a full size high resolution JPG you can download in my early review of the A7R.

Download the JPG image I shot with this lens, and it should put this whole subject into perfect perspective for you. Decide for yourself with your own eyes how good it is edge to edge, and how well it resolves landscape details, and how good or not the color is. No autofocus, but it has everything else the 55mm f/1.8 has, just in a nice 35mm focal length with some great Leica Mojo. Can you say heaven? It doesn't get any smaller or lighter, and to my eyes I don't think it gets any better.

The Sony A7R - Day Three - The Camera Forum®

Warmest Regards,
Chuck Jones

biglouis

Chuck

That does make compelling viewing. I may just have to go back to looking for a good per-asph 35 cron on ebay.

I own 4 M-bayonet lenses for my A7 and A7r.

CV Heliar 15/4.5 - bad smearing at the edges but capable of fantastically eye popping photos.

CV Ultron 21/1.8 - Excellent stopped down and capable of some fantastic compositional opportunities wide open. Very little smearing at all at the edges more like softness.

C-Summicron 40/2 - very good at f8, sharp and colourful. Bokeh at f2 is not that pleasing.

Elmarit 90/2.8 - so glad I can own this lens again (I sold my last one when I sold my M8). Fantastic sharpness and resolution even at f2.8.

In fact I own more M-bayonet glass than I do FE glass!

Thanks again

LouisB

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Chuck

That does make compelling viewing. I may just have to go back to looking for a good per-asph 35 cron on ebay.

I own 4 M-bayonet lenses for my A7 and A7r.

CV Heliar 15/4.5 - bad smearing at the edges but capable of fantastically eye popping photos.

CV Ultron 21/1.8 - Excellent stopped down and capable of some fantastic compositional opportunities wide open. Very little smearing at all at the edges more like softness.

C-Summicron 40/2 - very good at f8, sharp and colourful. Bokeh at f2 is not that pleasing.

Elmarit 90/2.8 - so glad I can own this lens again (I sold my last one when I sold my M8). Fantastic sharpness and resolution even at f2.8.

In fact I own more M-bayonet glass than I do FE glass!

Thanks again

LouisB
Same here. More M-bayonet than Sony by far ;) My portrait lens is also an old Elmarit 90/2.8. Great choice Louis! I've still got my 28 'Cron as well, my favorite lens on my M9.

philber

I have a Loxia 50 f:2.0. I ad my blog colleague Pascal compared it to the Sony-Zeiss 55 FE. For good measure, Pascal also included the Summicron R 50. The FE 55 is now sold. You can see the post here
#285. Zeiss Loxia 50/2, Sony FE55/1.8 and Leica Summicron 50/2, the Great Normal Lens Shootout | DearSusan
Overall, I find the Loxia not necessarily the best lens in the world, in the sense of a Otus or 'Cron M 50 APO, but uniquely well suited to the A7R. Great combination of physical package, haptics, focal length, and IQ.

iiiNelson

I have a Loxia 50 f:2.0. I ad my blog colleague Pascal compared it to the Sony-Zeiss 55 FE. For good measure, Pascal also included the Summicron R 50. The FE 55 is now sold. You can see the post here
#285. Zeiss Loxia 50/2, Sony FE55/1.8 and Leica Summicron 50/2, the Great Normal Lens Shootout | DearSusan
Overall, I find the Loxia not necessarily the best lens in the world, in the sense of a Otus or 'Cron M 50 APO, but uniquely well suited to the A7R. Great combination of physical package, haptics, focal length, and IQ.
I linked that up in post #12. I did not know that it was your test though.