Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Question about A7/r/s

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Question about A7/r/s

Quote Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
    OK, maybe I didn't make myself clear. I wasn't talking about the hotshoe on the camera.

I use off camera flashes all the time. My 580EXII has a sync port which can be used by any trigger. The Sony flashes has a multi-pin port(s) which would take a special cord (don't even know what the ports are; I'm assuming one is for an external battery pack).
    One of these should do the trick, I'm using similar kind of adapter with my older Minolta hotshoe flashes with Elichrom Skyport triggers.

FlashZebra.com: Flash Hotshoe Adapters
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have used Yongnou 622's connected directly to Canon 550EX flashes, Godox triggers used with the appropriate Godox connectors to either a Godox V850 or 360 flash unit. I have also used a generic (forget the brand but probably Radio Popper) connected with the same brand receiver to Alien Bees. None of these are TTL.

Jim
    Last edited by JMaher; 31st October 2014 at 20:03.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
    Jim,

How did you connect the trigger to the flash (off camera)?
    Valentin, there are a couple of ways to configure triggers to fire the Sony speed-lights. All of them use off-camera hot-shoe connections which are a bit more reliable than PC cords anyway.

Part of the current problem is that Sony Speed-lights had a proprietary hot-shoe design left over from Minolta. They recently changed to a standard ISO hot-shoe design, and the third party hot-shoe type radio trigger makers haven't caught up yet.

I used Phottix radio with my Sony A900 and FM58 speed-lights for weddings for years and they worked perfectly. The Phottix on-camera transmitter fit the old type hot-shoe and featured pass through TTL for the on-camera Sony FM58 speed-light. It also triggered any number of off-camera Sony Speed-lights (or any speed-light in the off-camera hot-shoe or standard studio Strobes using a PC cord from the receiver), but none of them are off-camera TTL, so it really didn't matter what the off-camera lights were.

The newer FM60 flash uses the newer hot-shoe design, so a Sony compatible TTL adapter has to be used which makes for a less than stable wedding/event set-up when also using a hot-shoe radio.

If pass through TTL for on-camera flash isn't needed, then any standard ISO hot-shoe type Transmitter/Receiver radio system will work there are a ton of them to select from.

IMO, none of the current Sony Speed-lights are optimal for the smaller A7 series cameras the FM60 is too big, and the smaller FM40 only uses two AA batteries

I've opted for the Nissin i40 which is just the right size for these cameras. It takes 4 AAs. Mine is packed away for a trip, but if I recall correctly, it also doesn't have a standard PC port.

We will just have to wait for makers to come out with hot-shoe type radio using the newer multi-function hot-shoe design on the A99 etc SLTs, and A7 etc. mirror-less series camera.

- Marc

BTW, it grinds me that Profoto doesn't show much enthusiasm to make a B1 battery strobe with a Sony TTL module.