The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Second camera to complement A7R?

jeffnesh

Hello,

I recently picked up a Sony A7R for landscape and macro and am enjoying it so far. A great camera.

I’m trying to mentally wean myself from my Leica M240. I say ‘mentally’ because I don’t shoot with it much, and my eyes aren’t as ‘rangefinder ready’ as they used to be…but I have a hard time imagining *not* having it nearby!

I’m considering a secondary (or even primary) camera to complement the A7R and fill some of the gaps I like to think the Leica fills. Candids, street, day-to-day, any occasion (meaning maybe mid-day, maybe low light, hand held grabs, etc... situations where there's no tripod, time, or need for 36MP)

I’m leaning A7S, but wonder if I should consider an A7 or an RX1? I’m about half and half between preferring 35mm vs. 50mm…

Any thoughts or, more importantly, experiences in a transition away from M?

Thanks,
Jeff

Viramati

Personally I would go for the A7s as it is different enough from the A7r to get a fair amount of use. Personally I have the A7, A7s and leica M and as much as for financial reasons I would love to be able to give up the M I keep coming back to it for it's simplicity of use especially for street work and the beautiful files that it produces. The A7s is a fantastic camera which really lends itself to B&W conversions and if you don't mind 12mp is a real winner

jeffnesh

Which lenses do you use on the A7R?
I have the FE 35mm and FE 55mm. I'm using a Pentax D-FA 100mm macro with adapter for macro work. Nice and small complement to the A7R.

On Leica I shoot Summicrons, and in any circumstance would keep them...

-Jeff

Irenaeus

"I’m leaning A7S, but wonder if I should consider an A7 or an RX1? I’m about half and half between preferring 35mm vs. 50mm…"

Those are the two that came to mind while I was reading your post. The RX1 is really handy ~ small, capable, less prone to dust on the sensor ~ but if you used a Sony 35mm FE/ZA on an A7S, you'd have that field of view covered and also have a backup body for the lenses you're using on the A7R.

Can no longer speak to the Leica question, as my own eyes made it a non starter years ago (though I'd still love to have one) but Amin recently started a thread here on GetDPI which could well prove helpful to you.

Irenaeus

Godfrey

I have several systems cameras (A7, Oly E-M1, Leica M9) and have been looking for that "simple complement when I need something versatile in a different way."

What I've wanted there, since 2010, is a simple one body/one lens camera that is easy to operate, has a fast lens in the 35 to 50 EFoV range, and basically has few other options. For anything else, I'll pull out one of the systems.

I've been through a few cameras on the way there, but the new Leica X typ 113 is the one that fits the bill perfectly for me. A high quality, fast 35mm EFoV lens. Dead simple controls and options. An excellent sensor. About the size and a little lighter than a classic film M4. Quick enough for grab shooting, good enough on manual focus and exposure to set up fast and easy (like said M4 used to).

I tried a Sony RX1 and the size of it bothered me ... too cramped, without a grip and other gizmos it just didn't handle right for me. The X is the opposite: everything has space to work with and nothing is in the way of getting what I want done.

Take a look at one... This is a personal thing, only you will know what really works for you in the end. For me, the X is a perfect complement to all three of my system cameras: it doesn't replace any of them, but it does what I find to be too much effort to bother with all of them them in a simple, refined, sophisticated way. :)

G

iiiNelson

I'd say the A7s for the reason that it's good with most M lenses so you can still keep them. Obviously you can still use everything that works on the A7r but 36 megapixels isn't always necessary.

k-hawinkler

I have the FE 35mm and FE 55mm. I'm using a Pentax D-FA 100mm macro with adapter for macro work. Nice and small complement to the A7R.

On Leica I shoot Summicrons, and in any circumstance would keep them...

-Jeff

Thanks Jeff. If I were in your situation I would stick with the A7R until the replacement model comes out and see whether that's a substantial improvement. I also would consider acquiring more native lenses that fit my needs - of course, willing to wait for them.

Although one might not need 36 MP for certain images, having an abundance of pixels is advantageous. I certainly would not be going back to a 12 MP camera.

CharlesK

Definitely the A7s as it will perfectly compliment the A7r! You have mentioned other areas of interest,
"Candids, street, day-to-day, any occasion (meaning maybe mid-day, maybe low light, hand held grabs, etc... situations where there's no tripod, time, or need for 36MP)"

and I think this will be ideal. I have already found that I use the A7s more than A7r now, and for printing up to A2 size the A7s is excellent. I would strongly suggest if you have any doubt is to try rent or loan one for a day :)

Shashin

I use an RX-1 as a second camera for a Pentax 645D. If you want to drop the heavy gear, it is a great carry-anywhere camera. The 35mm f/2 lens is special. There is also the RX-1r.

fotografz

Hello,

I recently picked up a Sony A7R for landscape and macro and am enjoying it so far. A great camera.

I’m trying to mentally wean myself from my Leica M240. I say ‘mentally’ because I don’t shoot with it much, and my eyes aren’t as ‘rangefinder ready’ as they used to be…but I have a hard time imagining *not* having it nearby!

I’m considering a secondary (or even primary) camera to complement the A7R and fill some of the gaps I like to think the Leica fills. Candids, street, day-to-day, any occasion (meaning maybe mid-day, maybe low light, hand held grabs, etc... situations where there's no tripod, time, or need for 36MP)

I’m leaning A7S, but wonder if I should consider an A7 or an RX1? I’m about half and half between preferring 35mm vs. 50mm…

Any thoughts or, more importantly, experiences in a transition away from M?

Thanks,
Jeff
What M lenses do you use on the M(240) Jeff? What are the vision issues that make the M less "rangefinder ready"?

"Complimentary" can mean different things depending on needs.

IMO, a M rangefinder is more complimentary to an A7R than the more similar A7s. The rangefinder way of photography is different from other experiential approaches, and can serve to complete that which the other can not.

That there can be a lull in use of one tool over another is normal, but it doesn't mean that a specific interest won't suddenly come roaring back in importance. I was liking the A7R a lot at first, and sort of forgot about my M Monochrome … until I worked with them side-by-side on a job where the M was clearly the better tool at hand. It's easy to forget that and justify offing a camera. I offer that as just a caution.

BTW, I was near giving up on using a M until I addressed my own vision issue. That issue was far more important than just how it affected my focusing abilities, so stay on top of it regardless of what camera you may select.

- Marc

pingu666

surely the leica specialness is basicly impossible to get elsewhere?
rx100 or sigma dp merrill might give you something different, or richoh gr

you need to nail down what you want, or where the current cameras fall short.

a instant film camera would give you magic pictures and smiles

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I LOVE my RX1r as my second camera to the A7r. However, if I were choosing today for a versatile camera I'd also go A7s as a choice.

I have many other cameras that could be #2 but if it were just A7R to consider it would be A7S.

turtle

I'd go A7S or A6000. The former is quiet and fast focusing, with amazing high-ISO. The latter is tiny and fast during decent light and easy to cart about on a wrist strap.

IMO 12 MP is plenty for B&W street photos. About 3MP was fine when shooting Tri X!