The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony Pro Support

miklar

Interesting
Now the question is this only for US customers? Or will this be available in all countries around the World?
Cheers

iiiNelson

Interesting
Now the question is this only for US customers? Or will this be available in all countries around the World?
Cheers
I think it's slowly spreading around the world. It was originally launched in Germany at Photokina so I'd expect rolling regional announcement in most of the usual countries you'd expect throughout Europe, Asia/S. Pacific, and N. America.

I just posted the US announcement because that's where I pay my taxes even if I'm abroad just as much as I'm home.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Not crazy about having 2 full frame mount cameras. Which I don't have. I have the A77II and a A7r. Does that eliminate a real working Pro from Pro support. This should not be about the amount you own but who the hell you are. For Christ sake I deserve the Pro support don't you think. I'll apply with a serious cover letter to go with it. This should be that Sony is my primary system period. I don't have those lenses either, which is very weird as Sony promotes very highly the use of 3rd party lenses as well.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Not crazy about having 2 full frame mount cameras. Which I don't have. I have the A77II and a A7r. Does that eliminate a real working Pro from Pro support. This should not be about the amount you own but who the hell you are. For Christ sake I deserve the Pro support don't you think. I'll apply with a serious cover letter to go with it. This should be that Sony is my primary system period. I don't have those lenses either, which is very weird as Sony promotes very highly the use of 3rd party lenses as well.
Yea, I'm with you Guy. I do have the two bodies, A7R and A7S, but I don't have three of their lenses yet. Maybe once they release enough of them I would want this could change, but at the moment it looks like both of us as working "pros" are banned from membership... even though you have to pay for it! :wtf:

Professional

Someone on facebook mentioned about this Sony Pro Service, with a link about it in his site or blog, i replied in his site/blog that i don't have 2 Sony Alpha bodies nor 3 lenses or G-series lenses, why i can't have their services? With Canon i have enough bodies and lenses and i am eligible to their CPS, so i said at the end of my post. "I think Sony should think again about their Pro Service Professional".

iiiNelson

Yeah I was a bit shocked that they didn't include the advanced APS-C models but I sort of get their Zeiss/ Sony G requirement. I personally think they should ease up a bit initially since many are adding Sony bodies only after the A7 series came out. The system simply isn't expansive enough for most pros without adapting A mount glass or 3rd party lenses. I assume this will tip those on the fence to buy Sony versions of premium lenses though.

Comparatively looking at the requirements for CPS and NPS - I think CPS has the best "requirements" system with all the different levels of membership based on a fee/ how much you've spent on their equipment. Sony seems to be somewhere in the middle although I don't know how hard it is to join the competition in reality.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

It should be about the person applying for Pro support not about your gear. I have no issues with documentation of who I am in the industry. Nikon and canon I'm pretty sure it's more about the person. This is about money spent. Geez you know how many hobbyist have more gear than Pros. Millions at least. Lol

Don Libby

We used to belong to Canon CPS however left it before we sold the equipment as it wasn't worth the money to keep it. They kept changing the rules every year.

Looked at Sony Pro and tried to figure out if $100 a year to join was worth it as well. Not...

iiiNelson

Geez you know how many hobbyist have more gear than Pros. Millions at least. Lol
You're exactly right because by their qualifications I'd probably be accepted except that I'm not a full time pro. I do the occasional paid job here and there though.

PeterA

SoNikCanon - whatever dudes - if it isn' Leica it is crapola dressed up in candy wrap.

fotografz

What does "invited" mean?

I have a pro website, and use two full frame Sony bodies (A99 and A7R), six ZA lenses (16-35/2.8, 24/2, 24-70/2.8, 50/1.4, 85/1.4, 135/1.8), a Sony AF 500/8, a LEAE-4 adapter, two FE lenses, two Sony flashes, accessories, blah, blah, blah …

AND NO INVITATION FROM SONY.

I sent them an e-mail requesting said "Invitation". We'll see.

Loaner benefit alone may be worth the price since I suspect new stuff from Sony is just over the horizon, and it sure would be nice to try before buying.

Best Pro Support I've experienced to date has been on my Leica S gear.

- Marc

Malina DZ

What does "invited" mean?
- Marc
Seems like cherry-picking those who qualify by all other terms. Sony gear requirement alone basically makes the support available to its artisans.
It's a good news that Sony finally offered Pro Support. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they are really interested in providing this service.

Reviving this old thread. I submitted the application for pro support several weeks ago, and just today got an email saying I was accepted. Paid the fee and they promise to send the membership package and ID soon. Not sure what to expect, but some of the benefits seem like they -might- be useful.

Guy Mancuso

I still have to wait until I get my new A7rII. There requirements still really piss me off. Guess I'm just a freaking slug in the industry.