Site Sponsors

Thread: Sony Pro Support

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Sony Pro Support

Last edited by iiiNelson; 29th October 2014 at 08:41.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sony Pro Support

Interesting
    Now the question is this only for US customers? Or will this be available in all countries around the World?
    Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

That is Great news. I have been requesting this for over 5 years.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miklar View Post
    Interesting
    Now the question is this only for US customers? Or will this be available in all countries around the World?
    Cheers
    I think it's slowly spreading around the world. It was originally launched in Germany at Photokina so I'd expect rolling regional announcement in most of the usual countries you'd expect throughout Europe, Asia/S. Pacific, and N. America.

I just posted the US announcement because that's where I pay my taxes even if I'm abroad just as much as I'm home.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not crazy about having 2 full frame mount cameras. Which I don't have. I have the A77II and a A7r. Does that eliminate a real working Pro from Pro support. This should not be about the amount you own but who the hell you are. For Christ sake I deserve the Pro support don't you think. I'll apply with a serious cover letter to go with it. This should be that Sony is my primary system period. I don't have those lenses either, which is very weird as Sony promotes very highly the use of 3rd party lenses as well.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Not crazy about having 2 full frame mount cameras. Which I don't have. I have the A77II and a A7r. Does that eliminate a real working Pro from Pro support. This should not be about the amount you own but who the hell you are. For Christ sake I deserve the Pro support don't you think. I'll apply with a serious cover letter to go with it. This should be that Sony is my primary system period. I don't have those lenses either, which is very weird as Sony promotes very highly the use of 3rd party lenses as well.
    Yea, I'm with you Guy. I do have the two bodies, A7R and A7S, but I don't have three of their lenses yet. Maybe once they release enough of them I would want this could change, but at the moment it looks like both of us as working "pros" are banned from membership... even though you have to pay for it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Someone on facebook mentioned about this Sony Pro Service, with a link about it in his site or blog, i replied in his site/blog that i don't have 2 Sony Alpha bodies nor 3 lenses or G-series lenses, why i can't have their services? With Canon i have enough bodies and lenses and i am eligible to their CPS, so i said at the end of my post. "I think Sony should think again about their Pro Service Professional".
    Tareq

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I was a bit shocked that they didn't include the advanced APS-C models but I sort of get their Zeiss/ Sony G requirement. I personally think they should ease up a bit initially since many are adding Sony bodies only after the A7 series came out. The system simply isn't expansive enough for most pros without adapting A mount glass or 3rd party lenses. I assume this will tip those on the fence to buy Sony versions of premium lenses though.

Comparatively looking at the requirements for CPS and NPS - I think CPS has the best "requirements" system with all the different levels of membership based on a fee/ how much you've spent on their equipment. Sony seems to be somewhere in the middle although I don't know how hard it is to join the competition in reality.
    Last edited by iiiNelson; 31st October 2014 at 16:20.

Post Thanks / Like

I think their minimum requirements are ridiculous. Come on Sony!
    J. Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It should be about the person applying for Pro support not about your gear. I have no issues with documentation of who I am in the industry. Nikon and canon I'm pretty sure it's more about the person. This is about money spent. Geez you know how many hobbyist have more gear than Pros. Millions at least. Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

We used to belong to Canon CPS however left it before we sold the equipment as it wasn't worth the money to keep it. They kept changing the rules every year.

Looked at Sony Pro and tried to figure out if $100 a year to join was worth it as well. Not...
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Geez you know how many hobbyist have more gear than Pros. Millions at least. Lol
    You're exactly right because by their qualifications I'd probably be accepted except that I'm not a full time pro. I do the occasional paid job here and there though.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Gads, that web page needs an editor badly!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

SoNikCanon - whatever dudes - if it isn' Leica it is crapola dressed up in candy wrap.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What does "invited" mean?

I have a pro website, and use two full frame Sony bodies (A99 and A7R), six ZA lenses (16-35/2.8, 24/2, 24-70/2.8, 50/1.4, 85/1.4, 135/1.8), a Sony AF 500/8, a LEAE-4 adapter, two FE lenses, two Sony flashes, accessories, blah, blah, blah

AND NO INVITATION FROM SONY.

I sent them an e-mail requesting said "Invitation". We'll see.

Loaner benefit alone may be worth the price since I suspect new stuff from Sony is just over the horizon, and it sure would be nice to try before buying.

Best Pro Support I've experienced to date has been on my Leica S gear.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    What does "invited" mean?
    - Marc
    Seems like cherry-picking those who qualify by all other terms. Sony gear requirement alone basically makes the support available to its artisans.
    It's a good news that Sony finally offered Pro Support. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they are really interested in providing this service.

Post Thanks / Like

Reviving this old thread. I submitted the application for pro support several weeks ago, and just today got an email saying I was accepted. Paid the fee and they promise to send the membership package and ID soon. Not sure what to expect, but some of the benefits seem like they -might- be useful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I still have to wait until I get my new A7rII. There requirements still really piss me off. Guess I'm just a freaking slug in the industry.

Post Thanks / Like

requirements still really piss me off.
    I thought you had two full-frame bodies?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I did sold the A7r before doing this Pro support. Right now I have the A7II and A6000.

Post Thanks / Like

I did sold the A7r before doing this Pro support.
    I'd just put the A7R on the application too. You'll certainly have two cameras before long anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

FedEx brought a little welcome package from Sony...

Name:  Sony Pro Support kit-001.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  57.7 KBName:  Sony Pro Support kit-003.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  139.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, When I got mine I pulled the ID card out of it and put it in my wallet and filed the rest in a closet..... in a recent conversation with a Pro Plan manager I told them a discount like students get would be far more appreciated than some stickers and a cameras strap that would make us look like a NASCAR fan or a BASSmaster.... What better advertising than working pro's smiling using current gear they got below retail cost. He took this suggestion under consideration

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    some stickers and a cameras strap that would make us look like a NASCAR fan or a BASSmaster
    Agreed. I really wonder what they thought we'd do with those stickers.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a new program for Sony and I guess they think the people in the USA all like looking like NASCAR fans..... I told that manager as a working photog I work to stay inconspicuous and low profile not all stickered up and obnoxiously obvious

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe whenever you send gear in for repair, you can use one of those big stickers on the box and then just write the address under it?

Post Thanks / Like

Thats an idea... except the UPS guy's may see it and decide to use it as a soccer ball ..... "here comes a Sony Pro Support camera box ,,,,, SCORRRREEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!"