The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7/A7r/A7s - firmware update v1.10

Knorp

What it does:
Improves the power-on time after downloading the Smart Remote Control application of the PlayMemories Camera Apps™.
File Description UPDATE ILCE-7/7R/7S Camera Firmware Update Release Date 10/30/2014 Version 1.10
Check your local Sony site for the new firmware and instructions.

Kind regards.

Knorp

Well Guy, I'd like to have reported my findings.
However, I'm still suffering from a little inconvenience ... :cry:

All the best.

The A7r has a significantly shorter start-up time (even without Play Memories!), only the first start-up with a fresh battery is still slow (not a big issue).

Viramati

Have updated my A7 but don't want to do the A7s if I lose the updated versions of 'camera remote' that was already installed in the camera when I bought it especially as the updated version has now been removed from the playmemories website. So does anyone know if the firmware update actually effects the app

Godfrey

Had to boot over to my Mavericks backup, but the update is loading now.
Sheesh, Sony updates are as annoying as Olympus updates...

Add:
Update succeeded, camera isn't a brick. Yes, it starts up faster. Woo hoo!

G

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Its kind of stupid these are set up like this. They should do like most and use the SD cards for updates. I'm kind of hosed as I erased my mavericks backup yesterday as I'm pretty happy with Yosemite. Pissing me off here.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guess I could download mavericks to a external drive and boot from that. I'm tempted to try it on Yosemite first.

Godfrey

Guess I could download mavericks to a external drive and boot from that. I'm tempted to try it on Yosemite first.
I tried various techniques to make it work on Yosemite. All failed on my system. The firmware updater saw the camera and then errored out before starting the installation. :-|

It's a PITA when manufacturers make the update process even more fragile by requiring you to use their software running on another system to do the job, rather than running the software entirely within that which they can test directly, the camera. It means they have to update not only the camera firmware but the firmware updater for all the platforms that users run..

I got lucky: I've been too busy on my system to run the clone update on my secondary backup boot drive, so Mavericks is still available. I might keep it around a while longer now.

G

Barry Haines

Win/A7R update version file sizes are pretty close to one another.
For 0.1 Mb it hardly seems worth bothering with :LOL:

Update_ILCE7RV102
File size 181 MB (190,103,640 bytes)

Update_ILCE7RV110
File size 181 MB (190,222,424 bytes)

Don Libby

Passed on the first update however took advantage of this one. Opening times are drastically reduced to the point of no lag, almost instant. Nice...

JorisV

Upgraded the A7s. Faster power-on time I have the impression.

Nor sure why it takes so long though and why as above-mentioned mentioned it is not done through an SD card. Much more convenient!