Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: which raw converter for A7s/A7??

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: which raw converter for A7s/A7??

I don't know tossing 6MB into oblivion or roughly 16% of the data seems kind of like a "big deal" when you can immediately see a difference in the "untouched" file.

I'm not disputing that a "universal standard" isn't a good idea - it is. That being said converting to DNG when there's proprietary data in the original RAW is not. I think that's where the discussion turned. People simply stated that converting from the original changes the RAW in some capacity.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The world mostly shoots jpg. Honestly.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    "I'm done with this foolish discussion. It's a waste of time."

We'll see.
    LOL!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I don't know tossing 6MB into oblivion or roughly 16% of the data seems kind of like a "big deal" when you can immediately see a difference in the "untouched" file.

I'm not disputing that a "universal standard" isn't a good idea - it is. That being said converting to DNG when there's proprietary data in the original RAW is not. I think that's where the discussion turned. People simply stated that converting from the original changes the RAW in some capacity.
    Any number of things can make a difference of 6MB between the original raw file and the DNG conversion: differences in the size of the JPEG due to resolution or compression differences, differences in the size of the sensor data due to how the OEM camera compression worked vs how DNG's lossless compression algorithm works, or whether the test was done with DNG Converter's fast load data, or other possibles.

Since DNG 1.2, ALL proprietary data in the original file is preserved in the conversion to DNG. However, this is of no real value and not practically demonstrable because no OEM manufacturers' software works with DNG files (it's that money and investment thing) and the third party software cannot use the proprietary manufacturer data anyway ... because it's proprietary. If you want to make use of manufacturer proprietary data, you better use the provided raw conversion software that the manufacturer vends. You don't really have any choices there.

However, the manufacturer proprietary data is provably recoverable by decomposing original raw file and the DNG converted file in a hex editor and matching up the private and encrypted bits between them. I've done that exercise.

Such it is.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    The world mostly shoots jpg. Honestly.
    Yes. 70% of the world shoots photos with smart phones these days. ;-)

G