The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

which raw converter for A7s/A7??

Paratom

I wondered how you guys convertd your A7s/a7 files?
Which software, which profile?
I have used LR but I am not really that happy neither with the LR-adobe-profile and also not with the additional profiles in LR (standard, landscape, neutral, portrait,....).
It also seems I can not import the Sony raws into C1 - which I wanted to give a try, and also not into DXO.
So how do you convert the files to get good color?
Thanks for any feedback.

iiiNelson

I have used LR but I am not really that happy neither with the LR-adobe-profile and also not with the additional profiles in LR (standard, landscape, neutral, portrait,....).
It also seems I can not import the Sony raws into C1 - which I wanted to give a try, and also not into DXO.
Thanks for any feedback.
LR5 is my main converter still along with various plug-ins with custom recipes using DXO, Google Nik, Photomatix, and VSCO. I've been forcing myself to use C1P8 the last few months and even leave my external with my LR5 Library at home to mostly insure that I stick with C1P8.

I like it a lot better than past versions. It finally feels more like a complete "LR-like" solution that minimizes PS CC time. A few of the options like stitch to Pano remain "broken" (unless it's a configuration issue) but otherwise it seems pretty stable.

I haven't upgraded mine to C1P8.1 yet for that reason.

Paratom

Are you using the original raw's or files converted into DNG?
The files are DNG which were imported by LR on my harddisk. Maybe thats the fault and LR did something to the files. I do have the new C1 Version (as a test Version at the moment)

The files are DNG which were imported by LR on my harddisk. Maybe thats the fault and LR did something to the files. I do have the new C1 Version (as a test Version at the moment)
Capture One does not support dng files unless they are native dng (as the Leica ones).

pflower

I am still using LR4.4 - I have too much stuff which won't run on anything later than Mac OSX 10.6.8 and I just haven't got around to working out how to organise a dual OS system.

I convert my A7 files to dng and then import. I only get the Adobe Standard profile as an option. However a custom profile made with the X rite Colorchecker Passport significantly improves things - dramatic improvement in saturated reds and blues.

The ColorChecker, for me at least, is an essential addition to any system and worth checking out.

Thanks for any feedback.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Wondering why folks convert these files to DNG in the first place. Correct me if I'm wrong but once you convert them you take away all of the raw file input on what Sony puts into the algorithms which include lens corrections. LR and C1 plus a few others support these files but you need to update the software to do that . I had to buy LR just to see my A77II files for a bit until it was supported by CI. I honestly don't know a valid reason to convert to DNG unless it was a support issue and even at that you should at least keep the original ARW Raws somewhere.

Paratom

I use Lightroom 5. It produces good results to my eye.

G
Do you usually incease saturation?

Have you ever compared a shot of the same subject taken with the Leica X and the A7, and A7-jpg with A7 converted in LR?
To my eye the colors from LR-converted A7s files seem to look a bit dull and dead.

I am trying to decide to replace some other stuff with A7+A7s system and overall I am fine but I am not yet there in regards of color.

Paratom

Wondering why folks convert these files to DNG in the first place. Correct me if I'm wrong but once you convert them you take away all of the raw file input on what Sony puts into the algorithms which include lens corrections. LR and C1 plus a few others support these files but you need to update the software to do that . I had to buy LR just to see my A77II files for a bit until it was supported by CI. I honestly don't know a valid reason to convert to DNG unless it was a support issue and even at that you should at least keep the original ARW Raws somewhere.
I have to check. I did not manually convert them to DNG. Either there is a setting in the camera about the output profile (I will check tonight) - or LR did change them to DNG when I imported them (probably there is a setting for this which I also have to find out)

iiiNelson

Ok, then I have to find where the problem lies. The raws do not appear when I try to import in C1. And DXO (9) tells me it doesnt support the file.
You also have to have the "Elite" version of DXO 9 to read A7 (and most "pro" camera) files.

I have to check. I did not manually convert them to DNG. Either there is a setting in the camera about the output profile (I will check tonight) - or LR did change them to DNG when I imported them (probably there is a setting for this which I also have to find out)
Lr does not convert the raw files into dng by default, only if it set to do so.
Are you sure you are running your Capture One trial as CO Pro and not as CO DB? This is an other possible reason for CO not to support the Sony files.

iiiNelson

There's a DNG convert option in the import dialog at the top of the screen. You should select "Copy" and not "Copy as DNG." I believe that you still have the option to apply lens profiles as long as it's a DNG or native camera RAW file though. TIFF nor JPEG have that option though.

I would recommend downloading a trial version of C1P8 (like Guy mentioned) to see if it gets you closer to where you want to be and like it was mentioned before there is the $30 Sony Pro version as well. That way you're not makings large of an investment initially if you only use Sony cameras.

There's also a new version of DXO (v. 10) as well that was released over the weekend.