Site Sponsors

Thread: Gallery of images of the Guinness Storehouse captured on a Sony A7r

Post Thanks / Like

Gallery of images of the Guinness Storehouse captured on a Sony A7r

Howdy folks.

This summer I was commissioned by Diageo to photograph the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin. Located at Jamesís Gate in Dublin City Centre, itís one of the most iconic structures in Ireland. In fact itís the most visited tourist destination in the country. Photographing the building was a dream come through. The lighting is very subdued in the building and shooting was quite a challenging. The client required a full set of marketing photos encompassing architectural photos as well as photos of the visitor experience throughout the Site. Most shooting was carried out of opening hours to have the building free to myself. The guys at Diageo have been amazing and supportive. A dream client. I enjoyed every minute of shooting the place.

Guinness of course is an institution in Ireland and the Storehouse is well worth a visit. Especially the Connoisseur Bar where you can get probably the best tasting Guinness on the planet!

For the first time I used a 35mm camera system. Mainly a sony a7r and Canon Tilt Shift lenses to photograph the building. I also occasionally used a Canon EOS 5D Mark iii when shooting hand held model shots. I must say the Sony A7r was a delight to use. The electronic viewfinder was a revelation coming from shooting with the Hasselblad H3D and itís terrible screen. The quality of the sensor, the incredible dynamic range and the portability of this tiny camera is a amazing. Shooting with my Hasseblad on a view camera would not have been possible on this project, simply because of the short shooting windows I had to photograph the place. Speed and a view camera do not go hand in hand! Plus the subdued lighting suited the Sony better. I could use higher iso when required and the higher dynamic range really suited the subject. I did miss using the view camera shooting the project and was great to get to use it again recently.

I've spent an hour trying to upload images to my ftp but I just keep getting error 404 when I paste the url into my browsers. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. All my other images work when pasted into my browsers. So sorry for having to link to my site but you can see the gallery if you click here to see them on my blog where you can view them at full screen size

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Gallery of images of the Guinness Storehouse captured on a Sony A7r

I had always enjoyed your view camera images (particularly the ones in monochrome).

These look like a bit over the top HDR on my screen.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Good shots
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I had always enjoyed your view camera images (particularly the ones in monochrome).

These look like a bit over the top HDR on my screen.
    I use oQey to upload the images. I have to desaturate them before I upload to the blog. Looks like they are still too saturated. The originals don't have the crazy cyans and warm tones
    www.endacavanagh.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I uploaded the slideshow again using prophoto. Images look much better and crisper. Although for some reason they colours are still garish in chrome. Also enabled for retina.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, much better. Thanks.

(FWIW, I was looking at them via a proof monitor.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Yes, much better. Thanks.

(FWIW, I was looking at them via a proof monitor.)
    Aw great to hear. BTW I just figured out how to upload the images to my FTP so I can show them here but there does not seem to be an option to edit the original post even though I'm logged in?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Enda Cavanagh View Post
    Aw great to hear. BTW I just figured out how to upload the images to my FTP so I can show them here but there does not seem to be an option to edit the original post even though I'm logged in?
    You can always upload them to the A7 Series thread.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com