The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun manual lens for A7 series?

jeffnesh

I now have a good FF setup: a7r, a7s, FE35, FE55, FE70-200. I’m coming from Leica and am looking for one more lens to have a little fun with: something manual. So I’m soliciting opinions/experiences. It’s okay if it’s redundant, I’d just like a lens that has an aperture ring, manual focus, and a bit of character.

Reading around, I’m considering the following list and would love opinions, or other suggestions:

CV 35mm f/1.2
CV 35mm f/1.4
CV 40mm f/1.4
Loxia 50mm (maybe 35?)
Leica Summicron 50mm f/2
Minolta 40mm (? have seen references but not sure which version folks like?)​

Other thoughts? Again, good ole manual feel, some character, fun to use lens when I want to go manual…

Thanks,
Jeff

iiiNelson

I have the CV 35/1.2v2. It's a great lens and exhibits some of the best qualities of the last two Leica 35 Lux's for about 1/4 the price. I would recommend sticking with native A/E-mount choices. If size is a factor then look to the Loxia's or Rokinon's. If not I think the Sigma and Sony Zeiss lens are of excellent quality while providing speed.

The system is still being built out but there seems less reason to adapt outside of achieving a look these days and in the future.

bensonga

I have used the Leica 50mm Summicron-R on my A7 and really like it.

The CV 75/1.8 Heliar is very nice too.

Gary

A7 and Leica 50 Summicron-R

A7 and CV 75/1.8 Heliar

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well have to say TSE lenses are a lot of fun. Both on a technical level on and on a artistic one.

Viramati

Another vote for the CV35/1.2 v2 a fantastic lens though very heavy especially if you combine it with the Cv close focus adaptor. The rokinon 28/2.8 RF lens is the only 28 (one of my most used focal lengths) that I have found performs reasonably well on the A7 and A7s. CV21/1.8 performs well on the A7 and A7s. Obviously the forth coming loxias should perform well as they are made specifically for the camera

philber

My Loxia 50 is such a great complement to my A7R. It just feels right, both as a physical package and in IQ. It is also semi-electronic in the sense that, as soon as you move the focusing ring, it leaps to magnified mode, a neat trick! And I get EXIF as well. Highly recommended! Pics available, of course.

Don Libby

The Mitakon Speedmaster II 50mm f/0.95 (M67) arrived in the post yesterday and I began testing it shortly afterwards. I used a Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1.1 several years ago when I still had my Leica M9 and have fond memories of the lens. I recently begun craving for a lens such as the Nokton to use on the Sony A7r and stumbled across the Mitakon.

Godfrey

To my thoughts, the best thing for what you're after is a fast, compact, and light weight 40mm lens. I have both Nokton 40 and M-Rokkor 40 at present.

For the A7, I like using the M-Rokkor 40mm f/2 (mark II, the one that shipped with the CLE) and I know the Summicron-C 40mm f/2 also works very well with the A7/r/s bodies. The Nokton works well too, but has some edge and corner issues with the A7 sensor. Nothing gross; the M-Rokkor and Summicron just do better. (The Nokton works beautifully on the Ricoh GXR and film bodies.)

There are two M-Rokkor 40s, first generation was identical to the Summicron but manufactured in Japan by Minolta; the second generation has multicoating in addition. All three of these are excellent lenses (I've owned all of them over the years) but I kept the M-Rokkor 40 II because of the multicoating and JIS standard filter threads.

The new Heliar 40mm f/2.8 looks like a delight too. Just remember you need to buy the lens AND the Voigtländer M to E mount adapter with the focusing helicoid as it does not have a focusing mount of its own. I'm tempted to get one myself, even though I already have two 40mm lenses: 40mm on either FF or APS-C is a very nice focal length. :)

G