Site Sponsors

Thread: Fun manual lens for A7 series?

Post Thanks / Like

Fun manual lens for A7 series?

I now have a good FF setup: a7r, a7s, FE35, FE55, FE70-200. I知 coming from Leica and am looking for one more lens to have a little fun with: something manual. So I知 soliciting opinions/experiences. It痴 okay if it痴 redundant, I壇 just like a lens that has an aperture ring, manual focus, and a bit of character.

Reading around, I知 considering the following list and would love opinions, or other suggestions:

CV 35mm f/1.2
    CV 35mm f/1.4
    CV 40mm f/1.4
    Loxia 50mm (maybe 35?)
    Leica Summicron 50mm f/2
    Minolta 40mm (? have seen references but not sure which version folks like?)

Other thoughts? Again, good ole manual feel, some character, fun to use lens when I want to go manual

Thanks,
    Jeff

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun manual lens for A7 series?

I have the CV 35/1.2v2. It's a great lens and exhibits some of the best qualities of the last two Leica 35 Lux's for about 1/4 the price. I would recommend sticking with native A/E-mount choices. If size is a factor then look to the Loxia's or Rokinon's. If not I think the Sigma and Sony Zeiss lens are of excellent quality while providing speed.

The system is still being built out but there seems less reason to adapt outside of achieving a look these days and in the future.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

50/1.5 Sonnar

or a Leica 75? not sure what the go to portrait lens is for the M system.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ken_vs_ryu View Post
    50/1.5 Sonnar

or a Leica 75? not sure what the go to portrait lens is for the M system.
    Usually the 75, 80, 90, or 100 depending on which body you shoot with.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have used the Leica 50mm Summicron-R on my A7 and really like it.

The CV 75/1.8 Heliar is very nice too.

Gary

A7 and Leica 50 Summicron-R

A7 and CV 75/1.8 Heliar
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well have to say TSE lenses are a lot of fun. Both on a technical level on and on a artistic one.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for the CV35/1.2 v2 a fantastic lens though very heavy especially if you combine it with the Cv close focus adaptor. The rokinon 28/2.8 RF lens is the only 28 (one of my most used focal lengths) that I have found performs reasonably well on the A7 and A7s. CV21/1.8 performs well on the A7 and A7s. Obviously the forth coming loxias should perform well as they are made specifically for the camera

Post Thanks / Like

I also find the VC 35mm 1.2 to be excellent on the A7 (R & S). It has a bit of vignetting at wide apertures, but that's very easy to deal with.

You might also consider the Leica R 28mm 2.8. Very nice on the A7S, and quite affordable. Here's a couple shots with mine on the main 'fun' thread - http://www.getdpi.com/forum/608720-post239.html
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My Loxia 50 is such a great complement to my A7R. It just feels right, both as a physical package and in IQ. It is also semi-electronic in the sense that, as soon as you move the focusing ring, it leaps to magnified mode, a neat trick! And I get EXIF as well. Highly recommended! Pics available, of course.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffnesh View Post
    Minolta 40mm ?

Other thoughts? .......
    Jeff - Here's a 40 to consider :

Which one? Sony Zeiss 35 2.8 FE and the Voigtlander 40 f/2.8 Heliar | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

............. Chris

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The Mitakon Speedmaster II 50mm f/0.95 (M67) arrived in the post yesterday and I began testing it shortly afterwards. I used a Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1.1 several years ago when I still had my Leica M9 and have fond memories of the lens. I recently begun craving for a lens such as the Nokton to use on the Sony A7r and stumbled across the Mitakon.

Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

To my thoughts, the best thing for what you're after is a fast, compact, and light weight 40mm lens. I have both Nokton 40 and M-Rokkor 40 at present.

For the A7, I like using the M-Rokkor 40mm f/2 (mark II, the one that shipped with the CLE) and I know the Summicron-C 40mm f/2 also works very well with the A7/r/s bodies. The Nokton works well too, but has some edge and corner issues with the A7 sensor. Nothing gross; the M-Rokkor and Summicron just do better. (The Nokton works beautifully on the Ricoh GXR and film bodies.)

There are two M-Rokkor 40s, first generation was identical to the Summicron but manufactured in Japan by Minolta; the second generation has multicoating in addition. All three of these are excellent lenses (I've owned all of them over the years) but I kept the M-Rokkor 40 II because of the multicoating and JIS standard filter threads.

The new Heliar 40mm f/2.8 looks like a delight too. Just remember you need to buy the lens AND the Voigtl舅der M to E mount adapter with the focusing helicoid as it does not have a focusing mount of its own. I'm tempted to get one myself, even though I already have two 40mm lenses: 40mm on either FF or APS-C is a very nice focal length. :-)

G