The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A900 + 135/2.8 STF T4.5 (some pics to share)

jonoslack

Andre - No worries.

I was just curious as to how useful A900 owners were finding the in-camera anti-shake (AS) helpful in stretching the cameras useful ISO limits - the A900 not being knows to be as noise free at higher ISOs as say the 5DII or D3x.

The idea being you could shoot at a lower ISO with the 900 using AS with shorter FL lenses such as the 138/1.8 than you could under the same circumstances at the same ISO using say the 5DII and 135/2 - thus somewhat negating the need for the higher-ISO capabilities (with still subjects of course.) with the 900.
Hi Rob
I think it's incredibly useful - it seems to me to give you around 2 stops, which is more than the noise differential . . . but of course, it's only relevant if your Canikon doesn't have IS, and your subject doesn't have the shakes!

D

ddk

Not to criticise at all but i seem to recall nice pics by Andree with his D3 and Zeiss lenses. I wonder if the Sony has not a somewhat narrower DR than the D3 but i may be wrong of course.
I can't comment on Sony's DR but it wasn't that great on my D3, I doubt that the Sony is worse, but I do see what you're talking about in the above pictures. You can't judge the camera without knowing the conditions and understanding Andre's exposure choice for the scene and then there's one's workflow and camera settings that can affect things too.

douglasf13

I don't doubt what others are saying, but Sony make a direct statement about ISO 100 having slightly less DR. It's in the manual, page 74 in the notes, The available luminosity limits for an image (dynamic range) are a little narrower in the range less than ISO 200.
The A900 has a unique, gradual highlight rolloff that gives a very smooth, "filmlike" transition to the highlights. ISO 100 decreases the highlight range, but, in return, it handles shadows better, and has a slightly bigger overall DR.

Neither creative styles nor DRO adds to raw. I believe the manual is referring to zooming in on the camera LCD when stating only DRO is visable.