Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: A7S Printing Size recommendations

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    528
    Post Thanks / Like

    A7S Printing Size recommendations

    So anyway, Imaging Resource has rolled out the Image Quality segment of their A7S review.

    Sony A7S Review: Now Shooting! - Image Quality

    In the print quality section of the review I'll paraphrase their recommendations as:
    24 x 36 inches from base until ISO 400
    20 x 30 at ISO 800
    4 x 6 all the way up to ISO 51,200.

    I was curious if anyone printing with the A7S would care to comment on these guidelines. Specifically the maximum size at base ISO.

    Thanks,
    John

  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,497
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    141

    Re: A7S Printing Size recommendations

    Pixel resolution is not a limit to print size, neither is ISO. So, sure, a 36" print from a a7s would work nicely.
    Will

    http://www.hakusancreation.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7S Printing Size recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by jfirneno View Post
    So anyway, Imaging Resource has rolled out the Image Quality segment of their A7S review.

    Sony A7S Review: Now Shooting! - Image Quality

    In the print quality section of the review I'll paraphrase their recommendations as:
    24 x 36 inches from base until ISO 400
    20 x 30 at ISO 800
    4 x 6 all the way up to ISO 51,200.

    I was curious if anyone printing with the A7S would care to comment on these guidelines. Specifically the maximum size at base ISO.

    Thanks,
    John
    I think recommendations are going to be subjective thing. I generally output all my files at 360dpi and I'm comfortable printing most images 18-24 megapixels (Leica M9/ Sony A77/ Sony A7) from 16" x 24" up to 18x27. There are some color images that I've been comfortable printing at 20" x 30". Most B&W images do fine up to 24" x 36" from that resolution. I don't usually go smaller than 18" x 27 with my A7r... most get printed at 24" x 36" and some get a little larger than that - but that's all according to my tastes.

    I've never liked printing images larger than 15" x 20" personally from my 12 megapixel Micro 4/3 cameras but it's possible that the A7s may make enlarged sizes a bit better than they did. Viewing distance and the room they'll be placed in play a bit of a role in that too... Some people like to output at 240dpi or 300dpi. I suppose you could get a bit larger at those outputs.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    590
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7S Printing Size recommendations

    The review says these are images from jpeg so really it becomes somewhat meaningless to the Raw shooter.

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: A7S Printing Size recommendations

    Moreover, the sillyness of that "review" is exposed in the discussion that ensues.

    They shot at f/22 at high ISOs.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    528
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7S Printing Size recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I think recommendations are going to be subjective thing.

    I've never liked printing images larger than 15" x 20" personally from my 12 megapixel Micro 4/3 cameras but it's possible that the A7s may make enlarged sizes a bit better than they did.
    Thanks, I've been using 24 megapixel cameras since the A850 and before that 16 meg so I wasn't too sure whether 12 meg was too low for 24" x 36"






    Shashin said "Pixel resolution is not a limit to print size, neither is ISO. So, sure, a 36" print from a a7s would work nicely."

    Shashin:
    What would you say does limit print size?


    Regards,
    John

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    590
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7S Printing Size recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Moreover, the sillyness of that "review" is exposed in the discussion that ensues.

    They shot at f/22 at high ISOs.
    Probably they did this to be able to achieve the high iso. Anyway for me print size depends on so many other factors other than pixel size that the article is somewhat irrelevant

  8. #8
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: A7S Printing Size recommendations

    That is very dumb way to do it. Color noise can be selectively reduced (without affecting the contrast noise and the details) in the post. That is a key aspect to get meaningful outputs at high ISOs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Viramati View Post
    Probably they did this to be able to achieve the high iso.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    523
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7S Printing Size recommendations

    IMO resolution has a very important influence on print size if you want to see lots of fine detail in very large prints.... If you don't, then it doesn't.

    Personally, I think that 12MP is good for A3+ if you want loads of detail, but not A2. If you enjoy grain or shoot large blocks of colour and straight lines, you can do wonders with 6MP and billboards.

    Its all a matter of application and taste.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    590
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7S Printing Size recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    IMO resolution has a very important influence on print size if you want to see lots of fine detail in very large prints.... If you don't, then it doesn't.

    Personally, I think that 12MP is good for A3+ if you want loads of detail, but not A2. If you enjoy grain or shoot large blocks of colour and straight lines, you can do wonders with 6MP and billboards.

    Its all a matter of application and taste.
    Couldn't agree more

  11. #11
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    rayyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,887
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7S Printing Size recommendations

    Just wondering. Is huge printing really Eco-friendly?
    Is any printing? Or film or digital or...

  12. #12
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7S Printing Size recommendations

    When I was shooting film, scanning it and worrying about printing I did a lot of research. I was not using a drum scanner and the majority of my scans were in the 3500x3500 size, so I began to worry.

    What I learned is that size and viewing distance are key and iirc correctly you can get away with lower dpi if you take account of this (which is why the poster above talks about 6mp shots and billboards).

    If you are going to put your nose up to a photograph you are likely to be disappointed. In fact, when I put my nose up to my 30x20 inch prints from my DP2M or DP3M I am not. If I do the same with my 24mpx A7, well it is not as a good. But when I step back from both photographs, at 30x20 there is no perceivable difference.

    I suggest you worry more about whether anyone will actually want to see your 30x20 prints rather than whether it is possible.

    I've spent an afternoon recently at the V&A looking at their photographic collection. The antique shots and even the more recent work, nose to glass even if they are 'soft' are remarkable photographs - because content is king.

    LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    528
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7S Printing Size recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    Just wondering. Is huge printing really Eco-friendly?
    Is any printing? Or film or digital or...
    Well since we all bought these expensive machines to use them I vote to throw caution to the wind and take some pictures. Besides if every few million years we get an ice age and every 100 million years we're gonna get hammered with an asteroid the least we can do is have some fun while we're here.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  14. #14
    Senior Member MikeEvangelist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7S Printing Size recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    What I learned is that size and viewing distance are key and iirc correctly you can get away with lower dpi if you take account of this (which is why the poster above talks about 6mp shots and billboards).

    If you are going to put your nose up to a photograph you are likely to be disappointed.
    Exactly!

    I've made 24 x 36 prints from my Digilux 2, which look fantastic at any reasonable viewing distance. That camera only had 5 megapixels and tended to be pretty noisy, but the images still look great.

    Out of curiousity, I just made a 13 x 19 print from an a7S shot at ISO 25,600. It looks just fine at that size. Sure, there is grain/noise if you look close, but imho that doesn't detract from the image.

    It's just a guess, but I think the reviewer may be averse to seeing any grain or noise at all. Which in my opinion is silly.
    Last edited by MikeEvangelist; 8th November 2014 at 11:33.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    528
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7S Printing Size recommendations

    Sounds to me like the answer to my question is that 12 mp is plenty for most print requirements. Thanks for the answers.

    Regards,
    John
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  16. #16
    Senior Member CharlesK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    730
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7S Printing Size recommendations

    I have both the A7r and A7s. I have made numerous prints with the Epson 3880 printer A2 size. The prints with the A7r and WATE have amazed me at the detail and nuances in the final prints.

    Just recently after my trip to Spain, I did a number of prints with the A7s and FE 55, A2 size prints using ImagePrint 9 as the driver, and the final print quality from the Spain trip are superb, even when viewed close up.

    I really think the quality of final print, will not only depend on whether you are using a A7r or A7s, but the lens, how it renders and of course the drivers to the final printing stage.

    The content and composition is everything of course
    Charles Kalnins
    Tallai, Queensland Australia.

    http://kalnins.zenfolio.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    528
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7S Printing Size recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesK View Post
    I have both the A7r and A7s. I have made numerous prints with the Epson 3880 printer A2 size. The prints with the A7r and WATE have amazed me at the detail and nuances in the final prints.

    Just recently after my trip to Spain, I did a number of prints with the A7s and FE 55, A2 size prints using ImagePrint 9 as the driver, and the final print quality from the Spain trip are superb, even when viewed close up.

    I really think the quality of final print, will not only depend on whether you are using a A7r or A7s, but the lens, how it renders and of course the drivers to the final printing stage.

    The content and composition is everything of course
    Thanks Charles. I've been thinking of a couple of A1 size prints and comments here have helped to clarify the factors I need to consider. The comments have been quite helpful.

    Regards,
    John

  18. #18
    Member msadat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Posts
    195
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7S Printing Size recommendations

    if you guys use windows system, i highly recommend qimage (google it) for printing. it does amazing things including handling profiles, paper sizes, excellent sharpening and smart interpolation. this tool is better than any rip i have used and it uses the native print drivers
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    523
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7S Printing Size recommendations

    There are a lot of very poor images being shot on MF due to people forgetting what matters in an image. I'd actually say the standard is lower, on average, than with smaller cameras (with notable exceptions of course).

    People shooting with far too much resolution for the print effect they are trying to achieve is also a very real problem.... yeah, 36 MP printed with no grain and lots of sharpening at A2 is never going to look like 35mm TriX....

    ... on the flip side, when detail is important, viewing distance is very useful to understand, but it cannot be relied upon entirely because some print buyers want to know how good a large print looks like at 30cm, not just 130cm. The key, IMO, is to prime the expectation via how you are shooting. The expectation lies in your style.

  20. #20
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A7S Printing Size recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post

    People shooting with far too much resolution for the print effect they are trying to achieve is also a very real problem.... yeah, 36 MP printed with no grain and lots of sharpening at A2 is never going to look like 35mm TriX....
    Absolutely right. Brought home to me having the opportunity to see Don McCullin's UK photographs displayed at the Tate London and Chris Killips at the Photographers Studio. Close up they are smudgy - which has its own charm - step back a foot or two and they are sublime with atmospheric tones and startling intensity.

    Just my opinion.

    LouisB

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •