Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Loxia or FE 55?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Loxia or FE 55?

Quote Originally Posted by Viramati View Post
    I have it and not really as it suffers from smearing. Performs quite well on the A7s. It used to be one of my most used lenses when I had 2 M9's but since getting the A7 and FE55 it lives most of it's life in the back of the safe, can't bring myself to sell it though.
    I have a pre-aspheric one and can confirm that : on the A7r the corners are really smeared. I was very deceived by the results. However I love the 55FE. I knew that the wide angles would produce smeared corners on the A7, but I was surprised that the Summilux was that bad. I'm on the verge of selling my two last Leica lenses (50mm F1.4 and 90mm F2).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    I have a pre-aspheric one and can confirm that : on the A7r the corners are really smeared. I was very deceived by the results. However I love the 55FE. I knew that the wide angles would produce smeared corners on the A7, but I was surprised that the Summilux was that bad. I'm on the verge of selling my two last Leica lenses (50mm F1.4 and 90mm F2).
    Interesting… On the A7s, my 35/2 (the first version), looks lovely. No smearing in the corners, just some vignetting (which I happen to like) and the lower contrast of the lens. The 50/1.4 (pre-asph as well) is a revelation in dark places, especially up close. The shallow DOF is stunning!

What has your experience been with the 90/2 (and is it pre-asph or APO)? That is a lens I really look forward to shooting in tandem with my Nocti on the MM.

I'm sure tis is nothing new to all of you, but there definitely seems to be a difference on the performance of the Leica lenses depending which A7 one has.

Looks like I got the right one for me!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    Interesting… On the A7s, my 35/2 (the first version), looks lovely. No smearing in the corners, just some vignetting (which I happen to like) and the lower contrast of the lens. The 50/1.4 (pre-asph as well) is a revelation in dark places, especially up close. The shallow DOF is stunning!

What has your experience been with the 90/2 (and is it pre-asph or APO)? That is a lens I really look forward to shooting in tandem with my Nocti on the MM.

I'm sure tis is nothing new to all of you, but there definitely seems to be a difference on the performance of the Leica lenses depending which A7 one has.

Looks like I got the right one for me!
    I think the common take away is aspherical Leica M lenses give mixed results without the Leica M corrections or film to help out the A7 series (with the A7s being the caveat to this rule.)

The Leica 90 Cron Pre-AA is the one Leica I plan to keep and not list on the B/S section that I own. I love them on the M but I have parted ways with it reluctantly but couldn't justify keeping both systems (although if for some strange reason I ran into a large sum of money a MM would be one of my first purchases as there's nothing else like it as of now.) My Zeiss ZM 50/2, Voigtlander 21/1/8, and 35/1.2 II all work fine without smearing on both the A7/A7r.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    The Leica 90 Cron Pre-AA is the one Leica I plan to keep and not list on the B/S section. My Zeiss ZM 50/2, Voigtlander 21/1/8, and 35/1.2 II all work fine without smearing on both the A7/A7r.
    I'm curious -- which adaptor do you all use?

I saw on another thread that a lot are using the Novaflex whereas I am using the Voigtlander VME… I'm wondering if that makes a difference on corner smearing as well?

(And thank you for telling me which lenses *do* play nicely… ( have a 21/2.8 pre-asph and an old Canon 25mm screwmount I'm dying to try as well… It will be a very long plane and train trip to my lenses tomorrow )
    my flickr
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the original non-helicoid Voigtlander adapter for my M mount lenses (I use Novoflex for my C/Y lenses but there aren't as many choices for C/Y lenses as M) but I owned them before the the close focus one was announced. I didn't see a point in upgrading the close focus when on half my kit worked for both bodies.

Now I will add that the 24 Elmar DOES in fact work decently on the A7 for street photography where having the sharpest corners generally doesn't matter as much as it does in landscape. This of course is subjective to the user of what's acceptable. I actually was very disappointed didn't work as well with the A7r as it is one of my favorite M lenses. It was the first lens I mounted to either camera followed by the ZM 50/2 Planar then the 50 Lux ASPH FLE. I learned that the "perfect" Leica aspherical lenses benefited as much from software corrections as the Micro 4/3 and Mandler designs are even more awesome in hindsight.

*I haven't tried the 21/2.8 pre-asph but that was my assessment of my kit combined with some other feedback. The WATE is an amazing UWA if you own it and works on all the bodies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm curious -- which adaptor do you all use?

I saw on another thread that a lot are using the Novaflex whereas I am using the Voigtlander VME… I'm wondering if that makes a difference on corner smearing as well?

(And thank you for telling me which lenses *do* play nicely… ( have a 21/2.8 pre-asph and an old Canon 25mm screwmount I'm dying to try as well… It will be a very long plane and train trip to my lenses tomorrow )
    I have a Metabones adapter. But I think that the real difference comes from the sensor : with 36MB against 12MB the high pixels density creates more problems in the corners.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    I have a Metabones adapter. But I think that the real difference comes from the sensor : with 36MB against 12MB the high pixels density creates more problems in the corners.
    I agree that the sensor (I believe the A7R is the only A7 sensor with microlenses) does make a difference in how a particular lens performs on the body as does optical design but I also would say that an adapter fabricated within the correct tolerances matters as well. Some empirically say M mount lenses wider than 50mm don't work with the A7 bodies and that's the urban legend going around as a blanket truth on the internet - however the WATE works better than the newly released 16-35 (as it should at 3-4X the price) and many other M mount wides work as well. Ironically the 50 Lux ASPH leaves a lot to be desired if corner sharpness and minimal vignetting is the goal.

Metabones makes a quality adapter from what I read about them and I wouldn't consider them a cheap adapter. Many people were disappointed in some of the cheap adapters out there that would vignette heavily or prevented them from focusing to infinity.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a Kippon pro for my M lenses on the A7 and it works beautifully. Better than the more expensive Photodiox Pro due to the more accessible and easily

I have a metabones III that I use for Eos EF lenses and it too is perfectly level, as evidenced by the results I get with my Tokina 16-28mm. I guess I was lucky with my adapters, in contrast to my 35mm and 55mm FE lenses, which have totaled five purchases to get two good copies. I'm glad that I persevered, as I now have a small and fairly light pair of lenses that deliver exceptional performance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just wanted to thank everybody on this thread for all the help. And a huge apology to the OP for hijacking the thread.

We're back in stormy Belgium and my boyfriend immediately started pulling out all of his old lenses last night, but I was too trashed from travel without sleep to enjoy.

A quick look at adaptor sizes and lenses of our menagerie, though, and I think my old ZM 50mm Sonnar might end up becoming the prize of the bunch. I'd forgotten how small and light it was!

When I start playing, I'll either put it in its own thread or add to the "old lenses" one…

Thank you again!
    my flickr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to thank everybody on this thread for all the help. And a huge apology to the OP for hijacking the thread.

We're back in stormy Belgium and my boyfriend immediately started pulling out all of his old lenses last night, but I was too trashed from travel without sleep to enjoy.

A quick look at adaptor sizes and lenses of our menagerie, though, and I think my old ZM 50mm Sonnar might end up becoming the prize of the bunch. I'd forgotten how small and light it was!

When I start playing, I'll either put it in its own thread or add to the "old lenses" one…

Thank you again!
    That was a great lens and in many ways preferable to the 50 Lux. Best of all no more focus shift.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That was a great lens and in many ways preferable to the 50 Lux. Best of all no more focus shift.
    I truly, madly, deeply loved that lens -- so much that I could never let it go, even when I stopped using the RD1 it had been optimised for (@f/1.5), making it almost useless on my Leicas. I never tried to get it reversed because by that time I had had a Nocti at f/1 or a pre-asph Lux for closer focus -- but I always kind of missed that lens, especially for colour at night (even though I typically shoot for b/w). Creamy, dreamy wide open and sharp sharp sharp, stopped down.

With the close focus adaptor, I think this lens may be glued to the camera, making it near perfect

(I've honestly never been so happy that I didn't get rid of a lens I stopped using -- except, maybe, that old pre-asph 35mm Lux that could come back to it's own again on this camera… Who knew Sony could be such a joy?)
    my flickr
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ryc View Post
    Im ready to pull the plug and am having a hard time deciding. Anyone here have the loxia and 55 ? I have not evaluated them and am looking for feedback.
    RYC:
    Don't know if you're still looking for info on the Loxia 50mm. I rented it and have played around with it a little so far. So far I can say that the center is extremely sharp from wide open. I really like the look of the files I get from it on the A7S. Finally, manually focusing with it is infinitely better than the electronic manual focusing of the Sony lenses. It's much easier and much more fun.

Regards,
    John

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tre - the 50 f1.5 sonnar is a lovely lens - but it has radical and chronic focus shift. Silas had his modified recently so that it's focusing accurately at f1.5 rather than the default f2.8. At 2m it's about 6" different!

With respect to adapters - I think Voigtlander made a new version of the 'standard' one specially for full frame lenses as the baffle in the older version was causing smearing.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Tre - the 50 f1.5 sonnar is a lovely lens - but it has radical and chronic focus shift. Silas had his modified recently so that it's focusing accurately at f1.5 rather than the default f2.8. At 2m it's about 6" different!

With respect to adapters - I think Voigtlander made a new version of the 'standard' one specially for full frame lenses as the baffle in the older version was causing smearing.
    Yeah the focus shift was bad if the lens was optimized for f/1.5. If it was optimized for f/2.8 then it was so bad... You'd just have to back off a bit wide open.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

At Photoplus a Zeiss employee mentioned that they now design lenses such as the Loxia line for the sensor it is to be used on.

I found that most interesting.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think we need a 50-55 mm shoot out with that magic price range of 900 to 1200. Otus not welcome here. Lol

Let's say
    ZA 50 1.4 A mount
    FE 55mm
    Loxia 50mm
    Sigma Art 50mm 1.4 A mount
    Mitiakon 50mm
    Zeiss ZE or ZF.2 50mm 1.4

I'm missing something here. Hmmm
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay I have the Za50. Jack has the Mitiakon and the Sigma Art

Here is the catch you need to come to Moab with the 55,loxia and the Zeiss. Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I think we need a 50-55 mm shoot out with that magic price range of 900 to 1200. Otus not welcome here. Lol

Let's say
    ZA 50 1.4 A mount
    FE 55mm
    Loxia 50mm
    Sigma Art 50mm 1.4 A mount
    Mitiakon 50mm
    Zeiss ZE or ZF.2 50mm 1.4

I'm missing something here. Hmmm
    C-Sonnar, maybe?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    I'll bring a 50 Lux pre-asph... Or is that disqualified?
    Out of the price range stated, but really really luscious

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Totally welcome!

Like Guy said, I have the Mitakon, the Sigma ART and a Nikon 50/1.8G special edition
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Totally welcome!

Like Guy said, I have the Mitakon, the Sigma ART and a Nikon 50/1.8G special edition
    You don't want to see that Lux, Jack, you really really don't!

Especially with the VME adaptor for close focusing, you will be smitten all over again. Smitten, I say! A total goner

Then again, Jack. Yeah. Why not? Let Matt bring that sweet little light stunning lens for you to check out… Karma's a *****
    my flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We need a loxia. Bryan you need to buy one. Lol

Enabler, enabler, enabler

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Only if you sell it to me for 900.00

ROTFLMAO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cam, Your poetical description does not match the performance of this at all.

Are guys being serious?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Cam, Your poetical description does not match the performance of this at all.

Are guys being serious?
    Really? Which one do you have?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Really? Which one do you have?
    I do not carry useless overpriced junk (well, within reason). I am willing to be proven to be wrong.

Show something to match the lyrics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I do not carry useless overpriced junk (well, within reason). I am willing to be proven to be wrong.

Show something to match the lyrics.
    Give me a little time! I'm not very comfortable showing my testing of the lens… But knowing it, and knowing what I got on it with the Epson, this looks to be stellar for street.

Keep in mind, my 1962 E43 is a slightly different optical than Matt's (I was at the cusp), so my glass may have better micro-contrast. What I've found, though, is that it's plenty sharp enough for my needs but has a very gentle (dare I say film-like?) roll-off between what is in focus and what isn't… And it's really a tiny lens compared to all that are being mentioned here (except the C-Sonnar -- which is wider but shorter).

Or better yet, invite us up there so you can play with my useless junk and I can play with yours

xxx

P.S. These are from Jack on the Leica that convinced me to get the lens in the first place: Cinco_smooth - GetDPI Image Gallery He thinks he'd stopped down to f/4, but you can still get a good taste of it's draw.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cam, Jack's samples are not a fair comparison and you know the reasons already.

Looking forward to yours and no kitchen snaps!

From one Leica nut to another, may I recommend a Yashinon from an Electro 35 camera (there are one or two people who mount them for Sony E, AFAIK, one is in the US and another in China)? Then you will understand that there is no magic in any of the Mandler stuff on Sony E cameras.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cam, Jack's samples are not a fair comparison and you know the reasons already.

Looking forward to yours and no kitchen snaps!

From one Leica nut to another, may I recommend a Yashinon from an Electro 35 camera (there are one or two people who mount them for Sony E, AFAIK, one is in the US and another in China)? Then you will understand that there is no magic in any of the Mandler stuff on Sony E cameras.
    Yes…

And, no, no kitchen snaps… I have a… oh, never mind… I'll wait until I have something worthy

Which A7 do you have? I'm so late to the party, I truly don't know… What I do know, however, is that the big fat pixels on the A7s seem to play real nice with Mandler and you know I worship that man...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mandler and you know I worship that man...
    Me too Cam, me too...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Me too Cam, me too...
    Jack, my love, you need to get an A7s toute de suite

Post Thanks / Like

Well I've done a few comparisons between the Sony FE 55 f/1.8 and the Loxia 50mm f/2. I did the comparison at f/2 and looked at the corners. It appears that the 55mm is slightly better. Of course being a 1.8 I guess that would be expected. But the Loxia is definitely close. Comes down to whether you want auto-focus or not. If you're shooting video the de-clicked aperture is supposed to be a good thing (I've heard). I like the Loxia, very solid construction. Hope they produce some wider ones than the 35mm though. Would like to get something around 20mm or a 24mm.

Regards,
    John
    Last edited by jfirneno; 28th December 2014 at 19:21. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

Well,, my 50 f2 will be here tomorrow !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John, the difference is in the flatness of field of the FE55, which means that its imaging performance is very consistent (and high) across the frame; the Loxia 50/2 suffers a big dip at 70-80% out from the image axis.

At this point, which shows in any infinity shot, the L50/2 is delivering just 55-60% of its very good centre donut - after the hole it recovers to deliver very good corners. That is curvature for you, and it most afflicts exactly the image data many now want - fine level detail, although object shaping suffers as well.

Don't crop if you can help it, for just this reason. See it in the MTF charts from this page:
    Loxia Lenses | ZEISS International

The Sony FE55 MTF is here, ignore the optimistic level, look at the shape of the lines:
    Sony Global - Digital Imaging - ? Lenses - Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA (half way down, you can expand the box) - it's very like the Otuses.