Site Sponsors

Thread: The TOUGH E-Mount from Fotodiox Pro

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: The TOUGH E-Mount from Fotodiox Pro

I have several very heavy lenses so Im hoping this will eliminate some wiggle.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Risky business! Unless you are absolutely sure that you know how to mount it with the right amount of tension (don't be fooled by their youtube video), don't do it!
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It's not risky business and a rather simple task. It works quite well and a nice "upgrade".

Joel

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think I'll be fine

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The comments I have read on POTN Sony threads have all been positive.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wonder if this will help address the light leaks in the mount?

I doubt it, as this wasn't their intent.

It is possible that it may make the light leaks WORSE, however, because of the higher reflectivity of the metal. I'd think about using black permanent marker on all the interior surfaces of the mount before installing.

I actually haven't purchased one yet, but I intend to do so.

---Michael
    a7r, a7rII, FE 16-35, FE 24-70GM, FE 70-200, Loxia 21mm, 35mm, 50mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"I think I'll be fine."

As the guy says on the video, don't drop the screws on the sensor. :-)

And an added benefit to the video: now we know how to pronounce "Fotodiox."

Who knew?

Post Thanks / Like

I tried it at Photo Plus the lens on it wiggled

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

having some flange experience, consider this:

the leica bayonet, for example, works by rotating the tabs on the lens behind projections on the body flange. there has to some sort of gap between the fitted surfaces of the tabs and the projections to allow for the rotation, machining tolerances, etc. In addition, the reference surfaces are the faces of the two flanges and you want them to be in contact. So Leica fits a leaf spring to the inside of the body flange such that the spring pulls the flanges together and the looseness between tabs is overcome by the spring. another method (novoflex) is to make an "ear" on the flange and bend it a bit so that it acts like a spring.
    in my opinion, using a spring steel leaf spring is better than relying on the flexing of the flange itself

what i have found with some cameras and adapters is these springs are too weak if a heavy lens is fitted.

from what i can see, the tough E mount has no spring at all, instead relying on the tab/projection tightness

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    ...............from what i can see, the tough E mount has no spring at all, instead relying on the tab/projection tightness
    The Tough E-Mount only replaces the original thin flange and a plastic spacer. You have to reinstall the original leaf spring assembly. This pulls on the lens mount tabs making the rear surface of the lens mount contact the front of the Fotodiox flange.

Bob.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, do you know if anyone checked with Sony about what changing this out does to your warranty? Or if it has any effect at all on it?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    "I think I'll be fine."

As the guy says on the video, don't drop the screws on the sensor. :-)
    Not much will happen if the screw drops. At worst the dust shaker will get scratched. Many will replace this for a charge. The sensor package is the strongest bit in a A7 series camera.

Sony A7 sensor:

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

The 7R is similar and has a tougher dust shaker (~1mm thick and a two piece component epoxied together).

I would not change the mount but I appreciate Fotodiox for highlighting the plastic mounts used in Sony NEX' and now the A7 and A7r. It is Sony by using a metal mount in the A7s who showed that a tougher mount is possible and there are no special reason for the plastic spacer.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would imagine it may void the warranty but you could always put the old mount on before shipping in for service. But I'm not sure warranty or not. My guess no

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

It's my understanding from watching the how to video that it isn't necessary to replace it on the 7r as it's metal to begin with. Either way haven't had an issue so why fix something that isn't broken....
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don, The A7r's mount also has plastic.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Don, The A7r's mount also has plastic.
    okay...

Still don't see a need. The heaviest lens I use is the Hartblei which is a beast and haven't had any issues (I also have a mount on the adaptor).
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

so, Bob, how does the tough e help with holding the lens on tighter?

Post Thanks / Like

It appears that when your camera is new, the lens, any lens, mounts tight and with no slop or play, but as you can easily see in the video, the part of the mount that applies tension is indeed plastic, and with use, it will wear leaving you with a loosely mounted lens or adapter. By using an all metal design, you avoid the soft plastic weak link in the system. Most camera mounts are all metal and use in incorporated metal spring as part of the back of the mount to maintain proper lens to camera mount tension.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    so, Bob, how does the tough e help with holding the lens on tighter?
    I'd like to know the answer as well. If you take the Fotodiox mount and attach it to a lens (I've tried the FE 35, 50 and 24-70) there is an extremely small gap between the front surface of the lens tabs and the back surface of the Fotodiox mount. However, the two are completely free to rotate. It looks as if they still rely on the leaf springs to provide the holding force between the mount and lens with the closeness of the two (the small gap) limiting the amount by which they can be pulled apart. Perhaps the gap between the lens tabs and mount is much reduced in the Fotodiox version?

As far as the plastic spacer is concerned I'm not convinced it's a potential problem due to wear. I don't think the lens tabs impact on the plastic until you pull against the leaf springs and pull the lens away from the mount, the plastic acts as an emergency stop. The plastic moulding may also prevent you from over turning the lens when mounting.

I have several questions about the mount. The one I received was an early version. It has a mechanical tolerance problem and I'm waiting for a response from Fotodiox on this.

There are now two versions of the mount around, a so called prototype and a V2. Amazon have recently updated their listing to V2. It's worth reading Oleg M's review on the Amazon site for more information.

http://www.amazon.com/The-TOUGH-E-Mo...ustomerReviews

I agree with the Photoclubalpha review and most of the comments.

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2014/1...tough-e-mount/

Bob.
    Last edited by Bob Parsons; 12th November 2014 at 13:06. Reason: Add link for photoclubalpha review.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I just put it on. Fairly easy a little glue with the A7r but separated easy enough to put new mount on. Much stronger no wiggle and my 85 with LA-4 wiggled before I did it. Now its like a rock and the plastic tabs where wearing down too. So they won't last long anyway

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Frankly pretty damn stupid design. Its actually and it should be embarrassing to Sony of that cheap plastic crap.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, which version of the mount do you have? The early version has Tough E-MOUNT written only on the back whereas the new V2 version has it on the back and front. Interesting to hear the plastic tabs on your camera original had started to wear down.

Be sure to check focus at all 4 corners. The reason I ask is because the Fotodiox mount has recesses machined into it in which the 4 supporting posts on the die cast body fit. The original Sony annular flange is flat with no recess. The distance between the bottom of each recess and the front of the Fotodiox mount all have to be equal and match the thickness of the Sony, this is critical. This is where the error was on my mount.

Bob.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bob I have newer version both type on back and front . I'll test it tomorrow. I have shoot with the A7r a couple portraits but I'll shoot something else too

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It did AF dead on with the 85 and La4. But that was playing around

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The plastic tabs on mine where getting rounded from wear. Only time would destroy it. Bad design. For the dollar they saved it was pretty lame idea . Now maybe with the smaller FE lenses okay but we are all bolting anything we can find in it. My canon 17 with meta ones adapter is one heavy beast but even the 135 1.8 will wear it down too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hate iPhones they can't spell. Sorry no time to fix. Grandpa is babysitting today. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Ordered, delivered, installed... piece of cake.
    It's too bad it had to be done at all....... but I'm a happy puppy now!
    Thanks to Fotodiox!!
    Highly recommended!

davidbogdan

Post Thanks / Like

i still dont get it...
    imo, its a solution looking for a problem.

but thats just me and my experience, using my equipment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay day of shooting and just got my new 50 1.4 ZA and my 85 1.4 which I shot portraits today. I found on both lenses I added +3 on my micro adjustment. Not a big deal. My metabones adapter is actually tighter which I actually like but again the lenses are on like a rock. So end of day worth the cash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mbn View Post
    i still dont get it...
    imo, its a solution looking for a problem.

but thats just me and my experience, using my equipment.
    Clearly there was a problem and one recognized by many users. Glad you don't have a loose mount but others here certainly did. Compared to my A7s (full metal mount), my A7 had, over the past year, exhibited increasing levels of wobble in the mount. I never noticed a negative effect to the images but I would prefer my larger lenses to fit snugly. Now they do.

Post Thanks / Like

My problem with my A7R, which I'm thinking this new mount might fix, is my MB IV adapter will frequntly lose the electrical contact (and aperture will go wide open), requiring me to stop to remount. That said, the adapter does not feel unusually sloppy on the mount. Hopefully, the new mount would not make that problem worse?

By the way, this problem does not occur when I mount the MB IV adapter on my new A6000, so I don't believe it's an adapter issue.

Assuming I go with the Fotodiox mount, I'm trying to understand if there is any risk during the mount replacement of stripping the mount screws or screw hole threads, which would render the camera unusable?
    Last edited by chrisd; 14th November 2014 at 00:58.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    My problem with my A7R, which I'm thinking this new mount might fix, is my MB IV adapter will frequntly lose the electrical contact (and aperture will go wide open), requiring me to stop to remount. That said, the adapter does not feel unusually sloppy on the mount. Hopefully, the new mount would not make that problem worse?

By the way, this problem does not occur when I mount the MB IV adapter on my new A6000, so I don't believe it's an adapter issue.

Assuming I go with the Fotodiox mount, I'm trying to understand if there is any risk during the mount replacement of stripping the mount screws or screw hole threads, which would render the camera unusable?
    There has been reports of both this Fotodiox Mount and Metabones adapter losing infinity focus with certain lenses that have hard stop. I tested a rental Distagon 21/2.8 (Canon EF) on my A7R (no mount modification s) with MB Mark III and it did not focus perfectly to infinity. Just something to keep in mind is you are thinking about stacking the mount Metabones adapter and shoot some lenses with hard stops at infinity.

In the end of this article infity issues are talked; propably will not get any better if one stacks two items that may cause this them

Fitting the Fotodiox Tough E-Mount | Photoclubalpha

There have also been a few reports of people replacing the A7/A7R mount with A7S one. Spare part code is 453653101. It is more expensive than Fotodiox one and availability can be an issue, but depending on for what one plans to use the Metabones adapter I'd consider it too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm using my metabones with my canon 17 which focuses past infinity and my 24TSE comes today so I'll check that as well.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy:
    fyi
    my 17 and 24 TSE's both rotate past the inf stop.

also the zeiss 135/f1.8 ZA rotates a tiny bit past the inf stop

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great was not sure on the 24. I should have no issues. I do like the mount. Obviously Sony by putting a metal one on the A7s realized they screwed up in the first place. Forty dollars for peace of mind is worth it to me. I have nice , heavy expensive glass and last thing I need is it spinning off the cam.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tn1krr View Post

There have also been a few reports of people replacing the A7/A7R mount with A7S one. Spare part code is 453653101. It is more expensive than Fotodiox one and availability can be an issue, but depending on ..
    Any details on that one (links?)? How much does it cost and where can one access it?

Post Thanks / Like

from what I can see on a google search around €150

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have installed the newest version now on my A7R and it is a much tighter feeling on the lenses - especially when you use our HCam Master TS or Hartblei Zeiss Lenses with Novoflex adapters.

One thing: there is a white adhesive ring inside the bajonett which came off a bit when I had torn off the black plastic (very carefully so I can reuse when needed for a guarantee shipment to Sony). This I refitted carefully with a tiny screwdriver and got it back to the outer orange ring before I put on the fotodiox.
    If you will not do this very carefully, there might be some material from that getting between body and tough emount and "might" cause a misalignment.

So take care for that when mounting !

Regards
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Btw I forgot to mention this. With my Sony 4 adapter I noticed both my 50 , 85 ZA 1.4 lensese my AF micro adjust jumped to + 18. Now I thought I did something wrong but I read a review of it on Amazon and another person said the same thing.

Now not mentioned in the video there is another thin plate that covers the springs. That I left in the mount. I. Wondering if I took that out if it would fix the front focusing.

I'll leave for now as I get a FE 16-35 Friday as a rental. See if I need to adjust that or not

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I put the new mount on my A6000 that has been converted to full spectrum (hot mirror removed from sensor by LifePixel). Since I had the conversion done, I could not AF with the LA-E4 and A lenses. The micro adjust was at -20 and was still off. Now, I'm almost there. I think a shim would bring it to perfection, but not sure how adding another layer would impact the depth of the pin holding the lens in place. This mount is thicker than the the old one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Weird we are going the opposite way. Thicker would mean front focusing