The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rumor: Pro FE mount coming

4season

What if it has a FF curved sensor? Probably zero backwards compatibility there, but the MTF performance could be awesome.

dandrewk

Well, I already have EFC, so I don't see the big fuss about wanting it.

:D

What I'd really like is all electronic shutter, if they can solve some of the current issues with it. Make it totally silent and vibration free.

The biggest thing is AF. I carry around an a6000 primarily for the vastly improved AF. Make the a8 with an upgraded a6000 AF, and the world will love it!

Other than that, the usual laundry list. Adjustable or perhaps dynamic resolution, trading mpx for better low light. In fact, better low light at highest resolution settings. What's the point of being "just as good as" the competition when we can do better? Longer flash sync and total user control over all auto ISO settings.

Sony knows what is wanted/needed. If the A7 series is indeed their way of "studying the mirrorless market", they have all their answers. They've offered some great glass with more on the way. Now give us a camera body that matches what their lenses can do.

JorisV

An A7s with 18MP or 24MP and some more native lenses (21mm, 28mm and faster 35mm) would already do it for me.

pophoto

I'm actually surprised there seems little to no mention much about battery life when compared to pro DSLRs. Another thing about fast AF comes accuracy, having owned the Nikon D700, D800, and the Canon 5D Mark III, 1DX, while good, I really expect better.

FPS is one thing, but high accuracy would be a revalation when it comes to AFC, and while miles ahead of mirrorless to certain degree, bar maybe the Nikon 1 since I have not used one, it's it'll be great to meet with high buffer memory as well.

My experience with the A7 and A7S, while good, I often find that Sony's WB is slightly off compared to Nikon and Canon as well.

Tweak zones include, ability to assign minimum shutter speeds for auto ISO, and memory for lenses. Auto bracketing features for the number of shutter and how far the exposure should and able to assign it away from shutter timer.

EFC, is also an issue, why should it not work with a flash attached, why do i need to go back into the A7s menu simply because I've added a flash unlike the Canon 5D Mark III which also happens to work in AFC mode as well.

So I agree with Guy about larger MP, but why shouldn't a 36MP camera offer to shoot at 24/12MP with faster FPS, and APSC crop.

I've almost given up on Canon and love what the A7/s already are, but hearing Sony will launch PRO cameras, I really hope they offer fresh on the table. Sorry if my post comes across as a bit of a wish list for Sony, thats because it is and I'm excited about the news. Go Sony!

Stefan Steib

I am pretty sure, a complete overhaul means a bigger body, giving room for some more electronics and hopefully a bigger battery at least 50 % more capacity !!!!
Meike has shown an A7/R/S Handgrip with remote radio controlled trigger/timer. Chinese nowadays have good ideas that can be copied in Japan also !
I want an even finer viewfinder with more resolution !
I want a dedicated extra Zoom button, prominently maybe on the front of the body.
Like a stopdown button on old SLRs - nice, large and with a rough tip !
I want a "docking station" with lockable large USB, HDMI, and a dedicated Accessory plug for stuff like GPS, external power, electronic follow focus and a phantom powered XLR Mike plug.And if I can dream on a Thunderbird port to directly mount an SSD for storage.
I want a full metal bajonett mount, a thicker baseplate and more rubber to the corners of the body to make it "ruggedized" and best possible weather sealing.
I want a display that can be moved sidewards so it can be seen from the front.
And I want a decent Systemflash with at least guide number 60 at normal/50mm setting and HSS using the same batteries as the camera !
For this unified battery I want a professional quick charger.

And: Why oh why can´t the Play Memories remote camera control do no zoom from the app ? This app needs the biggest overhaul

There´s more, but this is the short list.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

mjm6

I'm holding out for the rumored Texas Leica with a 50 mp Sony sensor.:)
You and me, but please don't call it a Texas Leica! Hahaha...

I want my old Mamiya 6 in a digital format (the one with the collapsible lens mount), and I think I'd be very happy forever more.

---Michael

iiiNelson

You and me, but please don't call it a Texas Leica! Hahaha...

I want my old Mamiya 6 in a digital format (the one with the collapsible lens mount), and I think I'd be very happy forever more.

---Michael
Texas Leica sounds perfect to me but I'll admit that I'm biased.

turtle

Sony may well shock us with a low price on a fixed lens mirrorless MF model with 50 MP. They have to come in well under the Pentax 645Z for it to make any sense.

Regarding battery life, I am happy for the new pro series camera/s to be a touch larger if they have much higher performance but are still way smaller than DSLRs. While improved batter life would be very handy, I see it only as useful in a larger body. If Sony had made the battery larger on the A7, the camera would have been bigger and heavier, which would have made no sense at all. I'd rather carry a spare in a pouch of pocket rather than have more capacity in a camera on a wrist strap all day long. The 5D III battery weighs at least double what the A7 battery weighs but such a battery would be fine in a body weighing a total of maybe 550g, 600g max. Everytime I have the 35mm FE on my A7 I am reminded of why I don't want heavier batteries. It feels so agile.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Have to admit battery life to me at least means very little. I have I think 5 and carry 4 spares which I never even get close to using is really nothing to carry around on a gig.

Annna T

I came to Sony because it offered the possibility to get a FF sensor in a small very portable mirrorless body. For me it is like a digital RF. I don't have any interest in a bigger body, nor a continued megapixels race.

I see a contradiction in that rumor of a "pro" E mount body. There is room for an improved A7, mainly EFC and better AF and some user interface improvements.

But IMO the real "pro" body people are calling for should be a mirrorless A mount body using an A7r sensor or better, being mirrorless it could still be somewhat lighter than the 1.5 kg of the Canikons pro bricks.

But Sony should keep the two lines well separated offering a DSLR like series with the A mount DSLR line one side and the E mount RF style on the other. Aka two modern mirrorless and EVF lines, each with a different character. One a work horse for the pro, the other a rugged, light one for PJ, travel and nature photographer who want to go light. And the lenses should follow that same philosophy.

fotografz

I came to Sony because it offered the possibility to get a FF sensor in a small very portable mirrorless body. For me it is like a digital RF. I don't have any interest in a bigger body, nor a continued megapixels race.

I see a contradiction in that rumor of a "pro" E mount body. There is room for an improved A7, mainly EFC and better AF and some user interface improvements.

But IMO the real "pro" body people are calling for should be a mirrorless A mount body using an A7r sensor or better, being mirrorless it could still be somewhat lighter than the 1.5 kg of the Canikons pro bricks.

But Sony should keep the two lines well separated offering a DSLR like series with the A mount DSLR line one side and the E mount RF style on the other. Aka two modern mirrorless and EVF lines, each with a different character. One a work horse for the pro, the other a rugged, light one for PJ, travel and nature photographer who want to go light. And the lenses should follow that same philosophy.
I tend to agree with you on this Annna.

I use an A99 SLT as my Pro Workhorse. It has a much more useful LCD, shoots to two cards (which is an essential feature for me when shooting weddings), and it has IBIS, so all lenses are stabilized right up to my Sony AF 500mm mirror. More importantly, it can run circles around my A7R.

If you could put all that into a A7 sized camera, it would be fantastic ... however, the physical demands of dual cards, IBIS and a more articulated LCD seem counter intuitive.

I'd like to see a bit smaller/lighter A99 replacement, 36 meg, improved IBIS, much improved EVF, bit better battery life, simplified interface ... competitively priced against the Canikon counterparts.

Then a A7 replacement that concentrates on the dedicated characteristics you mention.

- Marc

I don't have any interest
that's very selfish... if you personally do not have any interest in something it does not give you the right to infringe on others that have a lot of interest in that... like in m43 world we have crippled cameras for soapbox lovers (PEN, GX/GM) and cameras for those who need a normal grip and functionality (OM-D, GH)... as an E-M1 owner I am very happy that those who need soapboxes continue to have them while we have our lines of cameras

Paratom

Indeed its an interesting question where a "pro" A9?-body is placed between the A7 and the A77/A99.
IMO-as soon as you want to put really fast FF lenses on a body (f2.8 zooms, f1.4 85mm, longer Telelenses) the bigger size of A77/A99 seems to make sense.
I dont sea any reason to put monster lenses on a small camera. Thats why I think the f4.0 Zooms are the right compromise for the A7-series.

Besides a little improved AF, better auto iso function, maybe IBIS and a little better build of the bajonet there is one thing I would like changed: The user interface should be a little clearer and simpler and more intuitive.

I'd like to see a bit smaller/lighter A99 replacement
and why your rightful desire to have an alternative line of A-mount FF dSLT cameras shall be posed as either/or vs those who want a better E-mount FF dSLM line of cameras ? those are separate mounts...

I dont sea any reason to put monster lenses on a small camera.
I don't see any reason why your personal preference for small dSLM cameras (with E mount) shall prevent some others from getting bigger & more advanced dSLM cameras (with E mount)... it is not that Sony will suddenly make smaller bodies unavailable for you.

Annna T

that's very selfish... if you personally do not have any interest in something it does not give you the right to infringe on others that have a lot of interest in that... like in m43 world we have crippled cameras for soapbox lovers (PEN, GX/GM) and cameras for those who need a normal grip and functionality (OM-D, GH)... as an E-M1 owner I am very happy that those who need soapboxes continue to have them while we have our lines of cameras
Say that I'm selfish if you want. But my point is that when people begun to ask for
- Bigger and more ergonomic bodies with bigger grip,
- Longer life batteries, aka bigger batteries,
- Two cards slots,
- Faster lenses (short tele up to 1.4 or 1.2, uwa like 16mm up to F2, 35mm F1.4 and even 100-40mm F4 like I read somewhere) already offered in A mount, aka monster lenses,
- Faster fps (aka bigger shutter and bigger bodies)
- Bigger, articulated LCD,
- Etc..
This just tells me that what they really want is a DSLR like body with all the comfort offered by an EVF. What they want has few to do with what the tiny A7 bodies are offering and what makes their main strength : a small mirrorless portable bodies. Sony should keep the A mount which offers advantages for fast and big lenses and if they can make it smaller than the Canikons bricks (say 800gr, like a Canon 6d), while offering an EVF, they will have a winner.

Just like the A7 are winners for those who wants a digital equivalent to the RF.

V

Vivek

Just like the A7 are winners for those who wants a digital equivalent to the RF.
They are NOT. The lenses for RF are compact (may not be lightweight) and they do not smear and do such nasty things.

The A7 series cams are more like a Nikon FM2 or an Olympus OM (well not that quite compact).