Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rumor: Pro FE mount coming

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rumor: Pro FE mount coming

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Because the result would be a bastard camera !
    it is a matter of taste - I think that Pens/GMs/GXs bodies are bastards, but I am happy that those who like them have them and it helps to extend m43 marketshare, etc...

There is a reason why Leica had both the M line and the R line.
    there is a reason why C&N have a lot of lines within dSLR realm... most people do not buy 1Dx of D4*, however it will be very stupid for them to express the desire for C&N not to have those options just because they are not going to buy them... your needs for one style of FE dSLM body does not mean that it is the only need that is justified.
    A7RII + FE55/1.8

Post Thanks / Like

Say that I'm selfish if you want. But my point is that when people begun to ask for
    - Bigger and more ergonomic bodies with bigger grip,
    - Longer life batteries, aka bigger batteries,
    - Two cards slots,
    - Faster lenses (short tele up to 1.4 or 1.2, uwa like 16mm up to F2, 35mm F1.4 and even 100-40mm F4 like I read somewhere) already offered in A mount, aka monster lenses,
    - Faster fps (aka bigger shutter and bigger bodies)
    - Bigger, articulated LCD,
    - Etc..
    This just tells me that what they really want is a DSLR like body with all the comfort offered by an EVF.
    yes, dSLR egronomics w/o mirror (be it swinging or fixed) and w/o legacy (A-mount in this case) mount / legacy A-mount lenses

What they want has few to do with what the tiny A7 bodies are offering and what makes their main strength : a small mirrorless portable bodies.
    the main strength is mirrorless-ness, small and portable just the options that a lot of people do like indeed, but a lot of people like better ergonomics and features that might be available in a bigger body... the right ways is to cater to both markets

Sony should keep the A mount which offers advantages for fast and big lenses and if they can make it smaller than the Canikons bricks (say 800gr, like a Canon 6d), while offering an EVF, they will have a winner.
    аs m43 example teaches us the winner (in the race to the bottom pricewise) is better mirrorless body (over soapboxes) with mirrorless mount body... not legacy mount with fixed mirror technology... situation with A-mount lenses is a good indication that effort will be spend in E-mount realm and as such it is prudent to have more options with bodies... consider this - no one is taking your A7 from you, while you are so agitated by a chance that those who want a bigger/more ergonomical body might get one...
    A7RII + FE55/1.8

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect this camera is a fast AF rangefinder style FF. All the specs will be the same as the A7000 rumor and in fact it may be called the A7000. Sony is never consistent with their naming. It may also be a 7 signifies a FF and greater than 5000 is a rangefinder for E mount if I was to guess as to why that would be the case.

I also won't be surprised if this camera doesn't get announced in late January or early February. Sony doesn't announce cameras generally for shows. The A7S was an exception so it may change. A March or April announcement is more what I am expecting.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I'm not asking for much . . . but I've had all three existing A7 cameras and each has fallen short in one way or another. . .

I'd like
    1. Quieter shutter (much) without vibration
    2. better build quality
    3. (ideally) IBIS

Personally I could live with the AF of the A7s . . .

I've still kept my FE lenses . . waiting waiting.

This sums it up nicely. Thanks.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I have significant interest in the upcoming camera. I have not looked at the present ones as specifications scared me off.

What I would like to see:

• At least three switchable presets (switchable without chimping)
    • Electronic firsts shutter curtain
    • High MP, with OLP filter (meaningless without EFSC)
    • Shutter syncing at 1/300 s like the A99
    • A rock solid body
    • An (even?) better EVF

I am not so hot on IBIS, one more thing that can go wrong.

I like presets and I want them to override everything. I have missed to many pictures because badly implemented presets. The Alpha 99 is in my view the first Sony to get it right.

I am not sure about the lens program. The new Loxias are interesting, but I am not sure that they perform to my needs. What I miss is a really good lens in the 80-85 range.

Regarding sync speeds, I don't expect very high sync speeds, I would say that above 1/300s sync is still leaf shutter territory.

Best regards
    Erik

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to chip in, but then Ive read Guys second post and I have nothing else to say regarding new e-mount cameras

I have 2 A7 with grips, LA-EA4 adapters, etc and their performance its just not acceptable when it comes to AF. I also dont like being "forced" to use big bulky adapted lenses when Sony should know better and should have had release AT LEAST your basic set of fast primes (28mm, 50mm, 85mm...if you dont want to include a fast 24mm and 35mm or a fast zoom). At this point Im waiting to see what the A99II will look like and really thinking about selling my stuff.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ErikKaffehr View Post
    [*]High MP, with OLP filter (meaningless without EFSC)

Regarding sync speeds, I don't expect very high sync speeds, I would say that above 1/300s sync is still leaf shutter territory.
    I agree with everything you said. A couple of notes.

The current OLP filter in A7r attempts to take care of the lack of EFSC. The dust shaker/UV-IR cut filter is an epoxied glass stack providing its own fuzz in addition to being very strong. I would like to replace the A7r's with that of the A7 (dust shaker) to verify this but it is too expensive to buy 2 cameras for this.

(If anyone has a spare A7 dust shaker to donate, I would appreciate that.)

Even the top sync speeds of 1/180s on the A7r works only with the Sony mount flashes and it is not possible to achieve this with a single point flash trigger. Sony messed up the flash quite badly not just by changing the mount but also how it functions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Everyone has a different opinion which is great. I have found the focus system to be adequate but then I don't take pictures of anything moving fast. I love the files from the A7r so I have been willing to put of with what I view as a clunky camera interface including the vibration issues.

Give me a little better focus, a lot less vibration/noise and maybe a little more weather sealing and I will buy one. Oh, and a good flash system would be a bonus!

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with most of the recommended upgrades; but would add:

1) Monochrome option

2) Trade-in program for my A7r

I can't wait to see what the camera release has in store!

John

Post Thanks / Like

Well, since we're dreaming here, why not ask for a global shutter?
    Still loving my A7r.

Joel

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Just another thought a robust body doesn't mean it has to be unwieldy or large for no reason. The Nikon Df and the OMD EM-1 are both robust but not ridiculously heavy either.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hope this latest pro-A rumor is true. If it has an electronic shutter, faster/better autofocus, plus the improved sensor among other upgrades, I think they'll have trouble keeping pace with demand.

(SR5) New PRO Full Frame A9 or A7II (?) E-mount camera is placed above the A7 series. | sonyalpharumors
    James

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bart ...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quick, possibly stupid question. What difference will five axis stabilization mean when using a lens that has OSS?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stupid question on the same theme. Why build stabilized lenses and then release a stabilized camera? A7II while very attractive doesn't seem likely. The A9 rumor sounds more plausible but who know what thoughts go through the head of Sony?

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Andrew and Jim:
    When it comes to Sony there are no stupid questions, only crazy reality. The stabilized body will allow the legacy a-mount users (and other mount owners) to get stabilized results. However, it seems to be believed that lens based stabilization (especially with longer lenses) is more effective. So if this rumor is true (which is far from certain) it could be a win/win (unless you only like the smallest body size).
    Regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Any future FE camera "upgrade" that doesn't include the improved "a6000" AF system won't be worth the effort.

There are other obvious "needs" that could and should be addressed, but (to me) the relatively slow AF (especially in low light) is the biggest one.

Yeah, the a7 & a7r aren't THAT bad, but I also own an a6000. So I know just how much better they can be.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Why would lens based stabilization be more effective?
    Could you please give a reference for that?
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    Quick, possibly stupid question. What difference will five axis stabilization mean when using a lens that has OSS?
    You would have to switch one off, going from how to handle that situation with the Olympus E-M1.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am easier pleased than many here, but the IBIS is a good move in some ways, and a real boon for legacy lens users - many of these are flooding in from all systems and the a7 is heavily discounted and dealed out - users bring their own older lenses.

Note no sign of a new a7r, will they have IBIS good enough for pro usage? We may find that the a9 lacks IBIS, since it will be an intended DSLR killer for use with the OSS zooms, macro, etc. That is the one that will get best new features, AF/EVF/shutter/battery life - a small but solid effective pro camera. It should be enough to cut deeper in the market.

No new sensor in the a7II but most definitely in the a9. How many MPs? As is their habit, Sony has been working furiously on sensor dev, patents coming out the wazoo, in the two years since last changing photography with the D800/RX1/a99 sensor pair - we will soon see what they have up their sleeve besides their arm! I bet it has fabulous high ISO and DR. It might be 'irresistible', and will come with the next tranche of Loxias and 2-3 more FE primes. Adapters will mature more, for the targeted C/N users.

On prices for Vivek et al, emigrate to Australia. Fantastic beaches, clean everything, and we get the best Sony deals from both the local company offices and from HK.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by philip_pj View Post
    On prices for Vivek et al, emigrate to Australia. Fantastic beaches, clean everything, and we get the best Sony deals from both the local company offices and from HK.
    I am sure your country is great but the prices in Japan are even better.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    Stupid question on the same theme. Why build stabilized lenses and then release a stabilized camera? A7II while very attractive doesn't seem likely. The A9 rumor sounds more plausible but who know what thoughts go through the head of Sony?

Jim
    I am actually looking forward to that rumored A9 (hopefully with a BSI sensor) than this improved A7. I am not too keen on the IBIS as a few others here are.
    A7 prices have crashed (Asian prices). The A7s is also rumored to drop.

Better DR and sensitivity (than what we already get from Sony) interest me more. If that comes in a decent body with a quieter shutter then that seals it for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Why would lens based stabilization be more effective?
    Could you please give a reference for that?
    Hello KH

My information was from a fellow who was comparing long lenses on Sony and Canon. He stated that he saw less vibration with the Canon lens based system. I just did a Google search and found this article:

https://photographylife.com/lens-sta...-stabilization

Of course, not being an electro-mechanical engineer I can't speak to the truth of these statements. However it seems to make sense that motion in a long lens might not be sensed in the camera body as effectively as for a shorter lens.

Regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like

I look at the specs of the rumored A7II and something about them make me think there is something wrong with this rumor. While I am skeptical, it's the fact that this rumor comes from digicame-info that I believe it. They are never usually wrong and always get product shots the day before a release. They must have a good relationship with someone at Sony. Mirrorless FF IBIS is an Achilles heel for Sony that would allow the competition to take a big chunk of their market share. So it makes sense for them to fill that hole and maybe this is a response to some competition from another brand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like

A translate of the sony japan page before it was taken down:

The world's first (* 1) full size corresponding 5-axis body within the camera shake correction mechanism

The world's first (* 1) full size corresponding 5 Jikute condensed shake correction mechanism and 35mm full-size sensor in a small body. In addition to responding to angle blur to adopt a general lens in the correction formula, also supported to Shifutobure and rotational camera shake. Also, realize the correction effect of up to 4.5 stages (* 2). E-mount lens, of course, it is possible to shake correction in a variety of lens, such as A-mount lens, I maximize the descriptive power of the lens.
    5 For more information about the axis body within the camera shake correction is here.
    * In 1 35mm full-size sensor equipped with an interchangeable lens digital camera. November 2014 public relations announcement time, Sony research
    * 2 CIPA standard compliant, Pitch / Yaw direction, Sonnar T * FE 55mm F1.8 ZA when mounted, when the noise reduction off when long seconds
    More you can concentrate on shooting, sophisticated operability

Grip, and the pursuit of shape to achieve a stable holding even when large lens is attached, has increased the sense of holding. In addition to placing the shutter button on the grip. Also the customization button to be assigned the 56 kinds of functions such as ten mounted, it has achieved a sophisticated operability can concentrate more on shooting.
    For more information about the operability is here
    AF system of capture force and further enhance the advanced traceability

The α7 II, and a combination of phase-difference AF and contrast AF, is equipped with has both the speed and accuracy "Fast hybrid AF". Furthermore, by the evolution of the AF algorithm, improve subject acquisition performance and motion tracking performance. I realized the precise AF at high speed. As a result, in the excellent tracking performance of the subject, it is capable of high-speed continuous shooting of approximately 5 frames / sec while AF follow.

Post Thanks / Like

Update: added top image:

Update2: showing what must be the IBIS:

Post Thanks / Like

the page is up again

7 II | E}Eg | fW^J iAt@j | \j[

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this real ?

α7Ⅱ from Sony: Official Video Release

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

From the press release:

Wide AF coverage by 117-point phase-difference AF sensor (contrast AF of +25 points)

Extensively placement of the screen the contrast AF of extensively deployed 117-point phase-difference AF sensor and 25 points. Taking advantage of high motion follow-up of the phase difference AF sensor, you can capture the subject in a wide AF coverage even in the difficult focus subject.
    AF response that achieves the speed of conventional ratio ※ 4 about 30%

The evolutionary algorithm to detect the object position, and optimizing the driving of the lens. Conventional ratio in a variety of use scene ※ 430% faster was to realize the AF response.

※ 4: When compared with "α7". In our metrics.

The advanced motion prediction algorithm, to realize the conventional ratio ※ 4 about 1.5 times the tracking performance

The unique predictive AF algorithm that has evolved, and to accurately predict the next movement of the subject, conventional ratio ※ 4 about 1.5 times the tracking performance is achieved. In addition, during the high-speed continuous shooting continues to follow (up to about 5 frames / sec.) In AF automatic exposure (AE) is the subject, and does not miss a moment of movement and expression of aimed at the subject. The "lock on AF" to do the best focus while recognizing the size of the subject to follow the motion capture of the advanced image analysis techniques, follow-up performance is significantly improved.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh...

Post Thanks / Like

If it's true I hope they allow manual input of the focal length (like Olympus).
    Otherwise this IBIS is still useless for adapted 3rd party lenses.
    My Pics
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"Oh" is right!

More like ... "Oh Oh!" for the competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svbUXedWsbA

As they say ... This Changes Everything.

This is better than the IBIS of my A99 ... which also makes all the A mount lenses now stabilized on a A7 camera.

- Marc
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jfirneno View Post
    Hello KH

My information was from a fellow who was comparing long lenses on Sony and Canon. He stated that he saw less vibration with the Canon lens based system. I just did a Google search and found this article:

Of course, not being an electro-mechanical engineer I can't speak to the truth of these statements. However it seems to make sense that motion in a long lens might not be sensed in the camera body as effectively as for a shorter lens.

Regards,
    John
    Many years ago I did an (unscientific) test with a colleague of mine.

I was using my Konica-Minolta 5D with a Minolta 100-400 zoom lens. (in-body stabilization).

He was using a Canon 30D and a Canon IS 100-400 zoom lens. (in-lens stabilization).

We both shot the same subject, handheld at 400 mm and 1/125th about 40-50 shots (taking some rest in between). The amount of pictures with acceptable sharpness we got was roughly the same (somewhere around the 50-60% mark).

Then we switched cameras and did the same. Again the number of pictures with acceptable sharpness was the same, but both significantly less than the first series with our own camera.

Then we picked up our own cameras again, switched off the stabilization and did another series, we both hardly got any acceptable shots.

For us the conclusion of this test was :
    - Stabilization works, but it isn't a guarantee for sharp pictures, it just increases the probability you get an acceptable sharp shot
    - No significant difference between in-lens vs. in-body stabilization at 400 mm and 1/125th handheld
    - The system you use and are familiar with is better then something new and unfamiliar

To make this a scientific test you need to test other bodies, other lenses, more people etc. etc., but for day-to-day practical use I just stopped worrying about the theoretical differences between the systems, since we couldn't find any significant difference between them.
    Last edited by pegelli; 20th November 2014 at 00:15.

Post Thanks / Like

the IBIS is welcomed, but not too sure about the additional weight and size increase.

interestingly they haven't annouced A7r m2. may be they want to see how the A7m2 goes, and see if market is saturated with their new tech, then determine how much price hike they will apply...
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post

As they say ... This Changes Everything.

- Marc
    This is a very important camera, and the IBIS may not even be the most important reason. The A7 II shows that:

- Sony is able and willing to improve ergonomics on an existing model.
    - They listen to customers. One of the most common complaints about the A7 series have been that it's to small. Although this model isn't really any bigger, the grip is, which is the most important.
    - It's the fourth A7 model and it still uses the same battery. It's still too small, but at least it's compatible with the previous models. (Panasonic managed three different batteries on the first three GH models.)

Hopefully, this represents the "New Sony", a camera manufacturer that thinks and acts like just that, and not so much like the inventor of 7 million different Walkman models. I'm rather impressed, and for the first time, it's more than 50% likely that I'll buy one. It would bring new life to a whole little forest of good, old lenses

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    This is a very important camera, and the IBIS may not even be the most important reason. The A7 II shows that:

- Sony is able and willing to improve ergonomics on an existing model.
    - They listen to customers. One of the most common complaints about the A7 series have been that it's to small. Although this model isn't really any bigger, the grip is, which is the most important.
    - It's the fourth A7 model and it still uses the same battery. It's still too small, but at least it's compatible with the previous models. (Panasonic managed three different batteries on the first three GH models.)

Hopefully, this represents the "New Sony", a camera manufacturer that thinks and acts like just that, and not so much like the inventor of 7 million different Walkman models. I'm rather impressed, and for the first time, it's more than 50% likely that I'll buy one. It would bring new life to a whole little forest of good, old lenses
    I wish they would have put a higher capacity battery in it instead of consistency.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello KH

Regards,
    John
    It seems that this may alter that in that it is multi axis IBIS. I can attest to the fact that the existing IBIS of the A900 and A99 works well in real world situations ... and I've the real acid test of that in using a Sony AF 500/8 mirror on those cameras to amazing effect. This new A7-II should be even more effective.

- Marc
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, after all it's Olympus' 5-axis IBIS in a Sony.
    That feature certainly works extremely well in my E-M5 and E-M1.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    (Panasonic managed three different batteries on the first three GH models.)
    The main reason why I left Pana/m43. Also one of the main reasons why I appreciate Sony.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    If it's true I hope they allow manual input of the focal length (like Olympus).
    Otherwise this IBIS is still useless for adapted 3rd party lenses.
    That would be a nice feature. let's hope it is possible, but even without it this camera brings stabilization to lenses like ZE Mount Zeiss lenses, I would quess ZE APO Sonnar 135 would not be half that bad on this body with smart adapter

Having a pile of FE mount lenses including the optically stabilized FE 70-200/4 OSS I'm slightly underwhelmed by the still-related specs outside IBIS
    - AF appears to still be behind A6000, at least it is less hyped in marketing material
    - AF low light sensitivity has not improved from A7, A7 is specced 0-20EV (ISO100, F2.8 lens), A7 II is -1-20EV (ISO100, F2.0 lens) so this looks same to me due to 1 stop difference in spec lens. For sake of comparison the A7S is -4-20 EV with F2.0 lens
    - no burst speed improvements. My 70-400 SSM2 can use IBIS but something like 8 fps burst would not hurt
    - bracketing still looks to be the same as before

This camera could still impress with things like
    - smarter/more configurable auto-ISO
    - better hotkey configurability; give us Live View Setting toggle
    - uncompressed RAW, though I'm not holding my breath on this

Checked the specs from this google translate link

https://translate.google.com/transla...%2FILCE-7M2%2F

Personally I'm more excited this as potential indication of A7R II with 36+ MP EFCS+IBIS sensor, my 70-400 G2 and inner pixel peeper would like such camera even more

Post Thanks / Like

Sony announces Alpha 7 II full-frame mirrorless camera with 5-axis IS: Digital Photography Review
    Looking good. IBIS would help focussing longer manual lenses in magnified mode. New position of shutter release is probably better though I've got used to it's present position. Looks like IQ will be the same and maybe a slight improvement in Auto-focus. Depending on price-point and what I can get for my A7 will probably upgrade
    Last edited by Viramati; 20th November 2014 at 01:36.

Post Thanks / Like

WoW, this look amazing and I can't wait for the A9 announcement after Christmas with rumoured new sensor!

A9 with higher MP sensor, IBIS and a Tilt shift lens or two (24mm and 100mm) and I'd never touch a Canon again!

Post Thanks / Like

At this point I'd be happier if Sony had released an LA-EAE5 with the A77II's AF speed...as e-mount lenses are few, slow and overpriced.

Also, the VG-C2EM makes me think that the current grip for the A7/A7R/A7S won't fit...just happened to buy TWO of them. How does Sony expect people to invest in an expensive system that keeps changing stuff like this all the time?

I'm thinking the A9 will the the A7R's replacement and will have some sort of ultra fast AF...so I'll just wait and see...maybe in the meanwhile Sony may let us see the A99II.
    www.rafael-lopes.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    How does Sony expect people to invest in an expensive system that keeps changing stuff like this all the time?
    If you are into Sony, you should be prepared for this. All they have been doing (since NEX) is disruptive tech products. There is no system. It is yet to take shape. There is a new flash mount and there are even products (A6000) that do not work with their own flashes!

I hope the A9 will be very different than the A7 series cams, including the sensor.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I hope the A9 will be very different than the A7 series cams, including the sensor.
    I agree and I'm hoping that the A9 is the "ultimate 35mm digital back." Robust in photography features and build with a great ~28-32MP FF sensor. I actually wouldn't need 4K or video recording but I don't imagine Sony would do that since there always needs to be a tie in with their consumer products.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Andrew and Jim:
    When it comes to Sony there are no stupid questions, only crazy reality. The stabilized body will allow the legacy a-mount users (and other mount owners) to get stabilized results. However, it seems to be believed that lens based stabilization (especially with longer lenses) is more effective. So if this rumor is true (which is far from certain) it could be a win/win (unless you only like the smallest body size).
    Regards,
    John
    Hi John
    I think the idea that lens based stabilisation is better is long since superseded. The 5 axis image stabilisation on the Olympus E-M1 is nothing short of sensational - hand holding a 600mm equivalent lens at 1/25th second often provides good results, and at 1/60th always provides good results - that would translate to more like 1/1000 with an A7. Sony are claiming 4.5 stops - if that means 3 reliable stops it's fine for me!

My problem with all the A7 cameras has been the necessity to use fast shutter speeds to get unblurred images - EFC and IBIS should completely solve this.

Just this guy you know
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    WoW, this look amazing and I can't wait for the A9 announcement after Christmas with rumoured new sensor!

A9 with higher MP sensor, IBIS and a Tilt shift lens or two (24mm and 100mm) and I'd never touch a Canon again!
    You can easily adapt Canon TSE lenses on the A7 series : since they are manual lenses anyway, you have nothing to loose when they are mounted on the Sony FE bodies, on the contrary.

If you buy a smart adapter, you get EXIF info and a great help for focusing (they become easier to focus than on a Canon body).

Personally, I don't care for the pixels race : I would prefer an electronic first curtain to more pixels. I think that the more pixels you get, the more difficult it becomes to implement that. So 36meg with electronic first curtain would take care of any shutter shock.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi John
    I think the idea that lens based stabilisation is better is long since superseded. The 5 axis image stabilisation on the Olympus E-M1 is nothing short of sensational - hand holding a 600mm equivalent lens at 1/25th second often provides good results, and at 1/60th always provides good results - that would translate to more like 1/1000 with an A7. Sony are claiming 4.5 stops - if that means 3 reliable stops it's fine for me!

My problem with all the A7 cameras has been the necessity to use fast shutter speeds to get unblurred images - EFC and IBIS should completely solve this.
    More importantly it enhances the ergonomic factor, opens up the A-mount lens catalog, and instantly makes the FE platform more inviting to use longer lenses off tripod like the new 70-300mkII... Much the same way that the Olympus OM-D E-M1 was actually a Micro 4/3 "bridge camera body" marketed for those that wanted an update to the full size 4/3 cameras v. a replacement for the OM-D E-M5 .