The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rumor: Pro FE mount coming

Annna T

I don't see any reason why your personal preference for small dSLM cameras (with E mount) shall prevent some others from getting bigger & more advanced dSLM cameras (with E mount)... it is not that Sony will suddenly make smaller bodies unavailable for you.
Because the result would be a bastard camera ! There is a reason why Leica had both the M line and the R line. Plus, from a marketing point of view it is better to have two lines of products with clearly distinct features.

Thinking to the E-mount lenses : you don't put the load of an eight wheels truck on a four wheels minivan.

Annna T

They are NOT. The lenses for RF are compact (may not be lightweight) and they do not smear and do such nasty things.

The A7 series cams are more like a Nikon FM2 or an Olympus OM (well not that quite compact).
You are right stricto sensu : the A7r is no digital back for legacy glass, but I was rather thinking to their portability aspect here.

V

Vivek

No question about that! They are far more versatile than a RF cam or a DSLR ever can be. :)

Michiel Schierbeek

You are right stricto sensu : the A7r is no digital back for legacy glass, but I was rather thinking to their portability aspect here.
But Annna T, in many way it is (or was, since more and more lenses are coming) a perfect body for legacy glass only not for RF wide angles.

But it looks we don't need them anymore with the new 16-35, albeit a little slow.

Annna T

But Annna T, in many way it is (or was, since more and more lenses are coming) a perfect body for legacy glass only not for RF wide angles.

But it looks we don't need them anymore with the new 16-35, albeit a little slow.
Yes, you are right it concerns rather wa lenses. But I had 8 legacy lenses, of which I can only use two on the A7r. Of my beloved Contax G lenses I can only use two out of five. The fact that the 28mm, 21mm and 16mm are still lying in a drawer is heart wrenching, especially the 21mm. My Leica 50mm F1.4 produces smeared corners too, as well as the 35mm F2.

The 16-35mm zoom looks good. I think that I may sell my two last Leica lenses in exchange, they aren't so good performers on the A7r either (the 50mm F1.4 smears corners and the 90mm F2 has problems at infinite).

iiiNelson

I think that is the point of not buying a dslr but wanting a more rugged body for those that like the option of having flexibility of shorter flange distance. A dslr won't give you that type of flexibility. In any case this won't take anything away from the A7 series. This is all just a rumor and the fact many want this proves there's a market for it plus the faster glass. Again we all shoot differently and have different needs/ desires. Choice is good even if it's not what you personally want.

jonoslack

If they make this than Im all in on FE. I really don't think most folks are asking for much , just some improvements and updates on the system. The good news here is Sony is pushing it hard . That can only mean good things for us.
I'm not asking for much . . . but I've had all three existing A7 cameras and each has fallen short in one way or another. . .

I'd like
1. Quieter shutter (much) without vibration
2. better build quality
3. (ideally) IBIS

Personally I could live with the AF of the A7s . . .

I've still kept my FE lenses . . waiting waiting.

iiiNelson

3. (ideally) IBIS
I'm not holding my breath on this one unless they actually make that rumor A/FE Hybrid camera. Most FE mount cameras have OSS so I don't know that they will include IBIS unless it were to benefit the A mount lenses.

jonoslack

I'm not holding my breath on this one unless they actually make that rumor A/FE Hybrid camera. Most FE mount cameras have OSS so I don't know that they will include IBIS unless it were to benefit the A mount lenses.
No - I'm not holding my breath on IBIS either - and it isn't a deal killer . . . but I can hand hold an M easily at 1/2 focal length . . . I'd like to be able to do that with a Sony too.

iiiNelson

No - I'm not holding my breath on IBIS either - and it isn't a deal killer . . . but I can hand hold an M easily at 1/2 focal length . . . I'd like to be able to do that with a Sony too.
I think the heft and size of the Leica have almost as much to do with that as the shutter personally - going from my M9 experiences.

Because the result would be a bastard camera !
it is a matter of taste - I think that Pens/GMs/GXs bodies are bastards, but I am happy that those who like them have them and it helps to extend m43 marketshare, etc...

There is a reason why Leica had both the M line and the R line.
there is a reason why C&N have a lot of lines within dSLR realm... most people do not buy 1Dx of D4*, however it will be very stupid for them to express the desire for C&N not to have those options just because they are not going to buy them... your needs for one style of FE dSLM body does not mean that it is the only need that is justified.

Say that I'm selfish if you want. But my point is that when people begun to ask for
- Bigger and more ergonomic bodies with bigger grip,
- Longer life batteries, aka bigger batteries,
- Two cards slots,
- Faster lenses (short tele up to 1.4 or 1.2, uwa like 16mm up to F2, 35mm F1.4 and even 100-40mm F4 like I read somewhere) already offered in A mount, aka monster lenses,
- Faster fps (aka bigger shutter and bigger bodies)
- Bigger, articulated LCD,
- Etc..
This just tells me that what they really want is a DSLR like body with all the comfort offered by an EVF.
yes, dSLR egronomics w/o mirror (be it swinging or fixed) and w/o legacy (A-mount in this case) mount / legacy A-mount lenses

What they want has few to do with what the tiny A7 bodies are offering and what makes their main strength : a small mirrorless portable bodies.
the main strength is mirrorless-ness, small and portable just the options that a lot of people do like indeed, but a lot of people like better ergonomics and features that might be available in a bigger body... the right ways is to cater to both markets

Sony should keep the A mount which offers advantages for fast and big lenses and if they can make it smaller than the Canikons bricks (say 800gr, like a Canon 6d), while offering an EVF, they will have a winner.
аs m43 example teaches us the winner (in the race to the bottom pricewise) is better mirrorless body (over soapboxes) with mirrorless mount body... not legacy mount with fixed mirror technology... situation with A-mount lenses is a good indication that effort will be spend in E-mount realm and as such it is prudent to have more options with bodies... consider this - no one is taking your A7 from you, while you are so agitated by a chance that those who want a bigger/more ergonomical body might get one...

Slingers

I suspect this camera is a fast AF rangefinder style FF. All the specs will be the same as the A7000 rumor and in fact it may be called the A7000. Sony is never consistent with their naming. It may also be a 7 signifies a FF and greater than 5000 is a rangefinder for E mount if I was to guess as to why that would be the case.

I also won't be surprised if this camera doesn't get announced in late January or early February. Sony doesn't announce cameras generally for shows. The A7S was an exception so it may change. A March or April announcement is more what I am expecting.

k-hawinkler

I'm not asking for much . . . but I've had all three existing A7 cameras and each has fallen short in one way or another. . .

I'd like
1. Quieter shutter (much) without vibration
2. better build quality
3. (ideally) IBIS

Personally I could live with the AF of the A7s . . .

I've still kept my FE lenses . . waiting waiting.

This sums it up nicely. Thanks.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I have significant interest in the upcoming camera. I have not looked at the present ones as specifications scared me off.

What I would like to see:

• At least three switchable presets (switchable without chimping)
  • Electronic firsts shutter curtain
  • High MP, with OLP filter (meaningless without EFSC)
  • Shutter syncing at 1/300 s like the A99
  • A rock solid body
  • An (even?) better EVF

I am not so hot on IBIS, one more thing that can go wrong.

I like presets and I want them to override everything. I have missed to many pictures because badly implemented presets. The Alpha 99 is in my view the first Sony to get it right.

I am not sure about the lens program. The new Loxias are interesting, but I am not sure that they perform to my needs. What I miss is a really good lens in the 80-85 range.

Regarding sync speeds, I don't expect very high sync speeds, I would say that above 1/300s sync is still leaf shutter territory.

Best regards
Erik

Rawfa

I was going to chip in, but then I´ve read Guy´s second post and I have nothing else to say regarding new e-mount cameras :)

I have 2 A7 with grips, LA-EA4 adapters, etc and their performance it´s just not acceptable when it comes to AF. I also don´t like being "forced" to use big bulky adapted lenses when Sony should know better and should have had release AT LEAST your basic set of fast primes (28mm, 50mm, 85mm...if you don´t want to include a fast 24mm and 35mm or a fast zoom). At this point I´m waiting to see what the A99II will look like and really thinking about selling my stuff.

V

Vivek

[*]High MP, with OLP filter (meaningless without EFSC)

Regarding sync speeds, I don't expect very high sync speeds, I would say that above 1/300s sync is still leaf shutter territory.
I agree with everything you said. A couple of notes.

The current OLP filter in A7r attempts to take care of the lack of EFSC. The dust shaker/UV-IR cut filter is an epoxied glass stack providing its own fuzz in addition to being very strong. I would like to replace the A7r's with that of the A7 (dust shaker) to verify this but it is too expensive to buy 2 cameras for this.

(If anyone has a spare A7 dust shaker to donate, I would appreciate that.)

Even the top sync speeds of 1/180s on the A7r works only with the Sony mount flashes and it is not possible to achieve this with a single point flash trigger. Sony messed up the flash quite badly not just by changing the mount but also how it functions. :(

JMaher

Everyone has a different opinion which is great. I have found the focus system to be adequate but then I don't take pictures of anything moving fast. I love the files from the A7r so I have been willing to put of with what I view as a clunky camera interface including the vibration issues.

Give me a little better focus, a lot less vibration/noise and maybe a little more weather sealing and I will buy one. Oh, and a good flash system would be a bonus!

Jim

Smoothjazz

I agree with most of the recommended upgrades; but would add:

1) Monochrome option

2) Trade-in program for my A7r

I can't wait to see what the camera release has in store!

John

JoelM

Well, since we're dreaming here, why not ask for a global shutter?
Still loving my A7r.

Joel