The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rumor: Pro FE mount coming

iiiNelson

Just another thought a robust body doesn't mean it has to be unwieldy or large for no reason. The Nikon Df and the OMD EM-1 are both robust but not ridiculously heavy either.

dandrewk

Quick, possibly stupid question. What difference will five axis stabilization mean when using a lens that has OSS?

JMaher

Stupid question on the same theme. Why build stabilized lenses and then release a stabilized camera? A7II while very attractive doesn't seem likely. The A9 rumor sounds more plausible but who know what thoughts go through the head of Sony?

Jim

jfirneno

Andrew and Jim:
When it comes to Sony there are no stupid questions, only crazy reality. The stabilized body will allow the legacy a-mount users (and other mount owners) to get stabilized results. However, it seems to be believed that lens based stabilization (especially with longer lenses) is more effective. So if this rumor is true (which is far from certain) it could be a win/win (unless you only like the smallest body size).
Regards,
John

dandrewk

Any future FE camera "upgrade" that doesn't include the improved "a6000" AF system won't be worth the effort.

There are other obvious "needs" that could and should be addressed, but (to me) the relatively slow AF (especially in low light) is the biggest one.

Yeah, the a7 & a7r aren't THAT bad, but I also own an a6000. So I know just how much better they can be.

philip_pj

I am easier pleased than many here, but the IBIS is a good move in some ways, and a real boon for legacy lens users - many of these are flooding in from all systems and the a7 is heavily discounted and dealed out - users bring their own older lenses.

Note no sign of a new a7r, will they have IBIS good enough for pro usage? We may find that the a9 lacks IBIS, since it will be an intended DSLR killer for use with the OSS zooms, macro, etc. That is the one that will get best new features, AF/EVF/shutter/battery life - a small but solid effective pro camera. It should be enough to cut deeper in the market.

No new sensor in the a7II but most definitely in the a9. How many MPs? As is their habit, Sony has been working furiously on sensor dev, patents coming out the wazoo, in the two years since last changing photography with the D800/RX1/a99 sensor pair - we will soon see what they have up their sleeve besides their arm! I bet it has fabulous high ISO and DR. It might be 'irresistible', and will come with the next tranche of Loxias and 2-3 more FE primes. Adapters will mature more, for the targeted C/N users.

On prices for Vivek et al, emigrate to Australia. Fantastic beaches, clean everything, and we get the best Sony deals from both the local company offices and from HK.

V

Vivek

On prices for Vivek et al, emigrate to Australia. Fantastic beaches, clean everything, and we get the best Sony deals from both the local company offices and from HK.
I am sure your country is great but the prices in Japan are even better. :)

V

Vivek

Stupid question on the same theme. Why build stabilized lenses and then release a stabilized camera? A7II while very attractive doesn't seem likely. The A9 rumor sounds more plausible but who know what thoughts go through the head of Sony?

Jim
I am actually looking forward to that rumored A9 (hopefully with a BSI sensor) than this improved A7. I am not too keen on the IBIS as a few others here are.
A7 prices have crashed (Asian prices). The A7s is also rumored to drop.

Better DR and sensitivity (than what we already get from Sony) interest me more. If that comes in a decent body with a quieter shutter then that seals it for me. :)

jfirneno

Why would lens based stabilization be more effective?
Could you please give a reference for that?
Hello KH

My information was from a fellow who was comparing long lenses on Sony and Canon. He stated that he saw less vibration with the Canon lens based system. I just did a Google search and found this article:

https://photographylife.com/lens-stabilization-vs-in-camera-stabilization

Of course, not being an electro-mechanical engineer I can't speak to the truth of these statements. However it seems to make sense that motion in a long lens might not be sensed in the camera body as effectively as for a shorter lens.

Regards,
John

Slingers

I look at the specs of the rumored A7II and something about them make me think there is something wrong with this rumor. While I am skeptical, it's the fact that this rumor comes from digicame-info that I believe it. They are never usually wrong and always get product shots the day before a release. They must have a good relationship with someone at Sony. Mirrorless FF IBIS is an Achilles heel for Sony that would allow the competition to take a big chunk of their market share. So it makes sense for them to fill that hole and maybe this is a response to some competition from another brand.

Slingers

A translate of the sony japan page before it was taken down:

The world's first (* 1) full size corresponding 5-axis body within the camera shake correction mechanism

The world's first (* 1) full size corresponding 5 Jikute condensed shake correction mechanism and 35mm full-size sensor in a small body. In addition to responding to angle blur to adopt a general lens in the correction formula, also supported to Shifutobure and rotational camera shake. Also, realize the correction effect of up to 4.5 stages (* 2). E-mount lens, of course, it is possible to shake correction in a variety of lens, such as A-mount lens, I maximize the descriptive power of the lens.
5 For more information about the axis body within the camera shake correction is here.
* In 1 35mm full-size sensor equipped with an interchangeable lens digital camera. November 2014 public relations announcement time, Sony research
* 2 CIPA standard compliant, Pitch / Yaw direction, Sonnar T * FE 55mm F1.8 ZA when mounted, when the noise reduction off when long seconds
More you can concentrate on shooting, sophisticated operability

Grip, and the pursuit of shape to achieve a stable holding even when large lens is attached, has increased the sense of holding. In addition to placing the shutter button on the grip. Also the customization button to be assigned the 56 kinds of functions such as ten mounted, it has achieved a sophisticated operability can concentrate more on shooting.
For more information about the operability is here
AF system of capture force and further enhance the advanced traceability

The α7 II, and a combination of phase-difference AF and contrast AF, is equipped with has both the speed and accuracy "Fast hybrid AF". Furthermore, by the evolution of the AF algorithm, improve subject acquisition performance and motion tracking performance. I realized the precise AF at high speed. As a result, in the excellent tracking performance of the subject, it is capable of high-speed continuous shooting of approximately 5 frames / sec while AF follow.

Slingers

From the press release:

Wide AF coverage by 117-point phase-difference AF sensor (contrast AF of +25 points)

Extensively placement of the screen the contrast AF of extensively deployed 117-point phase-difference AF sensor and 25 points. Taking advantage of high motion follow-up of the phase difference AF sensor, you can capture the subject in a wide AF coverage even in the difficult focus subject.
AF response that achieves the speed of conventional ratio ※ 4 about 30%

The evolutionary algorithm to detect the object position, and optimizing the driving of the lens. Conventional ratio in a variety of use scene ※ 430% faster was to realize the AF response.

※ 4: When compared with "α7". In our metrics.

The advanced motion prediction algorithm, to realize the conventional ratio ※ 4 about 1.5 times the tracking performance

The unique predictive AF algorithm that has evolved, and to accurately predict the next movement of the subject, conventional ratio ※ 4 about 1.5 times the tracking performance is achieved. In addition, during the high-speed continuous shooting continues to follow (up to about 5 frames / sec.) In AF · automatic exposure (AE) is the subject, and does not miss a moment of movement and expression of aimed at the subject. The "lock on AF" to do the best focus while recognizing the size of the subject to follow the motion capture of the advanced image analysis techniques, follow-up performance is significantly improved.