The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Additional Sony TTL Flash Option

Stefan Steib

There must be some incredible strange licensing from Sony´s side for the flash Protocol. And sorry 400$ for a flash that if it is for a Nikon or Canon camera , will sell from other brands for 150-200$ seems a bit strange to me.
Means: full reengineering ? Thus the steep costs ?
I welcome such new products. I just wonder why it seems to be so difficult to get a growing market share of cameras connected to a better supply of accessories.
Failure of Sony - or - failure of the accessory industry ?

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

iiiNelson

There must be some incredible strange licensing from Sony´s side for the flash Protocol. And sorry 400$ for a flash that if it is for a Nikon or Canon camera , will sell from other brands for 150-200$ seems a bit strange to me.
Means: full reengineering ? Thus the steep costs ?
I welcome such new products. I just wonder why it seems to be so difficult to get a growing market share of cameras connected to a better supply of accessories.
Failure of Sony - or - failure of the accessory industry ?

Greetings from Germany
Stefan
The Canon and Nikon versions costs the exact same thing. Sony flashes can be quite a bit more expensive. I bought a Nissin i40 for $250 last week but that was on sale for $20 off. I guess I not disagreeing that it's not sort of expensive but there just aren't as many TTL options for Sony yet. I think it's mostly because there's just not as many out there and some probably think they're still using the Minolta flash system instead of a standard hotshoe.