Site Sponsors

Thread: 12mm full frame lenses

Post Thanks / Like

12mm full frame lenses

I've currently been using a Sigma 12-24 zoom (first version) for extreme wide angle shots (mostly landscape applications). Sigma has replaced this lens with a new version that I hear is both sharper in the corners but has worse image distortion. In addition, I've heard people using the VC 12mm lens on the A7 cameras. My question is can anyone provide a comparison of either of the Sigma lenses to the VC 12mm? I guess I'm interested in its use as a landscape lens on an A7S (but any comparisons are meaningful). Just looking for opinions, so even if you haven't performed in-depth testing I'd be interested.

Regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: 12mm full frame lenses

I was on a trip recently with Steve Huff and he was using the 15mm CV on the A7S, and said it was a great combo. I had both the 15 and the 12 in my Leica M9 days, and the 12 was better on the color shading than the 15, and quite sharp into the corners.

The Sony A7s – Handlheld Antelope Canyon | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 12mm full frame lenses

Quote Originally Posted by jagsiva View Post
    I was on a trip recently with Steve Huff and he was using the 15mm CV on the A7S, and said it was a great combo. I had both the 15 and the 12 in my Leica M9 days, and the 12 was better on the color shading than the 15, and quite sharp into the corners.

The Sony A7s Handlheld Antelope Canyon | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS
    Thanks Jagsiva,

Sharp corners is definitely an improvement over my 12-24 (although if I put the focus on the corners it's really not terrible, just not great).

Regards,
    John