The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Sony A7II

Annna T

I mostly find the EVF superior to an OVF, but while there are situations where an EVF doesn't work very well (sports photography is probably the most important), there are none except for video where an OVF can't be used.
There is at least one case where OVFs aren't up to EVFs : when using a TSE manual lens and trying to ascertain whether you have nailed focus or not. Not even checking focus afterward is good enough in my Canon 6D, because of a very mediocre implementation of the LCD (lack if contrast, low resolution, low magnification level and a fixed LCD not allowing you any escape from the direct sunlight).

TSE lenses are an extreme case, but whenever I want to focus manually on the 6D, my eyes aren't able to judge focus, because there is neither magnification, nor the red/yellow peaking countour available.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
There is at least one case where OVFs aren't up to EVFs : when using a TSE manual lens and trying to ascertain whether you have nailed focus or not. Not even checking focus afterward is good enough in my Canon 6D, because of a very mediocre implementation of the LCD (lack if contrast, low resolution, low magnification level and a fixed LCD not allowing you any escape from the direct sunlight).

TSE lenses are an extreme case, but whenever I want to focus manually on the 6D, my eyes aren't able to judge focus, because there is neither magnification, nor the red/yellow peaking countour available.
I absolutely live my TSE on my A7r. I seriously can't miss focus unless I do it on purpose . I'm using those lenses as normal lenses as well. I could even do street work with them if I wanted too , they focus really well.

V

Vivek

Really? The how come they remove the AA filter with the RX1r?

LouisB
They can tailor the lens to match the sensor since it is a cybershot. Can't have that with an OTUS and shoot video with it (moire).

iiiNelson

*Yawn* Another remarkable game-changing, bar-raising product from Sony?

(tossing it into the heap alongside the RX1, RX100, NEX7 and "old" A7)

Like a lot of you, I'm scratching my head over these so-called "upgrades" which do nothing but enhance image quality and functionality while doing nothing to address real problems that we face, such as scratched LCD windows, to say nothing about the lack of choice in body colors and cladding.
You can always buy a Giotto or Sony LCD Screen Protector...

There are some pretty significant upgrades on the new version - specifically ergo it's, improved speed, and IBIS. Despite the negative tone of many this is the 4th FE body and there are 14 FE lenses available for purchase or preorder now with another 3-5 coming in the first half of 2015.

V

Vivek

Apples and pumkins, Louis. crop senors and high pixel density vs FF sensor. Do not be misled by the pixel count, consider the real estate involved..

Last edited:

Godfrey

*Yawn* Another remarkable game-changing, bar-raising product from Sony?

(tossing it into the heap alongside the RX1, RX100, NEX7 and "old" A7)

Like a lot of you, I'm scratching my head over these so-called "upgrades" which do nothing but enhance image quality and functionality while doing nothing to address real problems that we face, such as scratched LCD windows, to say nothing about the lack of choice in body colors and cladding.
LOL!

G

Godfrey

With the heavier weight, will it use larger batteries? A larger grip alone (and perhaps even IBIS) surely does not account for this. More solid build all round? We are talking three Mars bars here. ...
I like your unit of measure.

Well, let's think a moment. The standard battery weighs 51g on my scale. Many users add the grip and a second battery to get more battery life out if the A7/r/s, and few complain that that weighs too much. If they double the size of the battery, doubling its weight and facilitated by the extra space afforded by the new grip, that plus the new grip would obviate the need for the add-on grip for many. That's 50g plus whatever the structure of the new grip costs in weight. Then add the additional internal weight for the IBIS system. I think 125g would cover a double-sized battery plus the structure for the new grip and the IBIS system.

Of course, if they ship it with the same battery as the A7, I'll wonder where the extra weight came from too.

None of which is daunting to me at all. I use this body with my kit of very heavy Leica SLR lenses most of the time. An extra 4oz in the body isn't going to change things by very much at all and, who knows?, it might eliminate the dreaded shutter shock... ];-)

G

Ulfric Douglas

Great solution! ;
of course now you could nonchalantly lounge against a lamppost with a ciggy in one hand and snap whatever you want with 5-axis IBIS!

FIVE axis.

That's like ... more than three ... way more than three. Way better. Awesome even.

I want to see some IBIS tests, I still haven't seen decent tests of Olympus' newest systems yet...

Annna T

I like your unit of measure.

Of course, if they ship it with the same battery as the A7, I'll wonder where the extra weight came from too.

G
I have looked at the extended specifications listed by DPreview in their comparing tool and most specs, including battery are identical. Not sure whether this is correct, or whether this is due to a copy/paste and they just changed what is already known to be different. (AF characteristics and processor are exactly the same as for the A7, yet Sony clames a 30% AF speed increase)

dandrewk

The battery is the same. The added weight and girth are due entirely to the inclusion of IBIS.

I'm hoping they found ways to improve internal efficiencies. IBIS only adds to power demands, so if all other things remain equal, battery life is bound to be less than before.

turtle

I'm not worried about the weight increase either because it is still less than a Leica M and includes IBIS, EVF and a good grip. I think 600g is a good place to stay though. I hope the A9 is not a lot heavier.

As for lighter options, well, I have no intention of selling my A7 and A7R... they're still amazing cameras.