Site Sponsors
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sony A7II

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: The Sony A7II

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    For me yes, absolutely. But probably not for those photographers needing a fast action camera. There is still a perceptible little lag between what occurs in reality and what the EVF and LCD are showing you. You can diminish that lag by lowering the EVF resolution and accelerating the refresh rate, but whatever you do the lag is still there. Add to that a rather slow focus in low light and I can see why some still prefer an optical VF. Especially Jorgen Udvang, who if I remember correctly is shooting car racing among other things. I admit that with the A7r it can be a little difficult to photograph moving children. It isn't impossible, but you get more misses.
    HI Annna
    Whist I agree with you about the lag to what you SEE (clearly more with EVF) the lag to what you GET is much less without the mirror. The X-T1 especially seemed to give you exactly what you saw when you pressed the shutter - the A7s with the electronic shutter seemed pretty good as well. You see it later . . . but get it sooner (if you see what I mean).

Someone showed me a good real life test once - you sit in a cafe with the open door about ten feet away and try and catch people as they walk past the door - it's amazing the difference between one camera and another. . . . and how many of them just present you with a photo of an empty doorway!

I think Jorgen's real reason for the D810 is the inherently better tracking with an SLR - as you say - car racing.

Just this guy you know
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing I'm not willing to give up is the 1/8000 shutter. To many it doesn't matter but to me it means being able to shoot wide open (or closer to wide open) in more environments. If more shutter noise is the penalty I'll just live with it but that was another factor in me choosing the A7 over the otherwise excellent Nikon Df - which does not have many negatives in it's own right.

I could actually see a Nikon Df (the gold one is actually really nice to me) and the f/1.8 primes being sort of a poorer man's Leica M in some aspects for street photography.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, When you have your A7 II, start a new discussion and lock this thread down. It has run its course.

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Guy, When you have your A7 II, start a new discussion and lock this thread down. It has run its course.
    On the contrary. This is an extremely interesting and educational thread, delineating the different use cases and relative merits of existing and future solutions. And it *does* center on the A7II.

A thread doesn't have to consist entirely of OMG!! Best... Camera... Ever!!!

As Jono (a friend of every system with merits) points out, no one system does everything for everybody. To anyone contemplating a new system or even just a new body, examining the entire photographic landscape (sorry) is important for evaluating a new offering and whether or not it will fit in one's workflow.

Best,

Matt
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, an anchor is much more useful if you don't want to go anywhere, than if you you enjoy seeing new vistas and opportunities open up. My present work is 100% impossible to do using any Nikon DSLR, so any contestable one percenter file IQ gains are moot. The signal guys are hard at over at DPR trying to prove exactly this 'win' to Nikon, meeting stiff opposition, and this a year on from the camera's release.

I shoot in dark conditions with AF/MF lenses and need total focus verification at shooting aperture to counter residual curvature. Sony's EVF shows me stuff I literally cannot see, lets me quickly use flexible spot for exact focus in the final comp with two levels of magnification. It and I do not miss.

A D810 fitted with Nikon's latest normal lens costs $5000 and the 58/1.4 lens is a horror show with no corners - at any aperture - to speak of. This kit scales in at 1350 grams. The a7r/FE55 costs $3000 and weighs 750 grams, is half the size and opens up a huge gap in versatility, overall IQ and aberration control. The Copal shutter has lag, medium volume but does not vibrate. There are now hundreds of thousands of great images from the a7r demonstrating this last point.

The a900 appealed to fans of trad D/SLRs aesthetically, but I must shoot well above and beyond its technical capabilities - ISO 1600, 11 stops of DR, base ISO of 200 and a dumb piece of glass as a focus aid; not even a live histo disturbed the calm, dim view of the mid-20th century VF.

The Nikon DF is the most unergonomic camera produced in many years. All the dials lock and are stacked. There is no easy focus screen replacement on what purports to be a manual focus friendly camera. There are no focus aids. Nikon still tries to market a handful of antediluvian AI-s lenses, presumably to illustrate how it used to be in the 'good old days' before they went 100% AF. Very few manual focus lenses are available for F mount.

I shot a statue of Avoliketsvara (Chenresig in Tibetan) yesterday with 1000 arms, here in Lhasa, top that! ;-)
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    As Jono (a friend of every system with merits) points out,

I did not know that! (having seen these):

Leica D-Lux Typ 109 (The Dachs 7) | getDPI

Using Manual Focus Lenses on the Leica T | getDPI

Camera Bags | getDPI

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philip_pj View Post
    Well, an anchor is much more useful if you don't want to go anywhere, than if you you enjoy seeing new vistas and opportunities open up.
    Actually, an anchor is one on the most important things any boat can have on board. It doesn't retard your progress in moving forward (you simply place it on deck), and it provides you safety and security when you need it (including when you've made a mistake). Anyone going to sea without an anchor should have their head examined. IMHO, this is analogous to the discussions in this thread. For some, it is easy (and perhaps appropriate) to rush forward at full throttle and be an early adopter. Others, including me, may want to ride at anchor for a bit and better understand how things are behaving and whether or not the new thing is really better. In my case, I use an A7r with Leica R glass and Sony EF mount IS lenses, and I am really pleased with the results. While I am quite interested in the specs of the A7II, I don't need to have it now for a specific assignment or purpose. So, I will wait and see. If that makes me an anchor, so be it.... anchors are important.

Post Thanks / Like

The D810 is undoubtedly a remarkable camera, but I am amazed people are actually comparing the A7R, or A7II with to the much larger and heavier Nikon. These are two different cameras, with overlap for sure, but very different compromises. I do wonder if some photographers are 'theoretical photographers' rather like 'theoretical physics', judging by some of the comments one reads...

Most of the camera manufacturers are doing amazing things at the moment and Sony is right up there at the front. I have not noticed any other FF mirrorless cameras out there and now we have one with IBIS.... if Sony does what Olympus may be about to do with the pixel shift system, its going to completely change the counting of the pixels!

As for Sony releasing new cameras quickly, I don't see how this can be a bad thing. I don't buy cameras as investments, but to make photographs. The fact that there will be many used A7 bodies around at low prices is kinda good going forwards because it means picking up back up bodies is very affordable. Nobody is forcing anyone to upgrade, so the notion that rapid new releases leaves the owner taking a quick hit if they upgrade is absurd. What it means is that if you want a new body with IBIS, you can buy the darned thing now rather than wait another two years (or four more if we use Canon's upgrading of the 7D as our yardstick).

We've never had it so good. We've never had so much innovation. We've never been able to buy such capability for such reasonable prices, so why the whinging?

I'm still pleased as punch with my A7 and A7R and probably won't buy an A7 II, but I am thrilled to see that Sony has taken on board our criticisms has put it into a real live camera you can purchase in quick time. How can this not be impressive?

Regarding size and bulk of the Sony FE system and DSLRs, it only takes a few minutes of real experience with these cameras in your hands to know what's real and what's internet opinion based on theoretical imaginings. 5D III for comparison (which is smaller than the D810 for example)

Last edited by turtle; 6th December 2014 at 07:17.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    How can this not be impressive?
    It's unimpressive because most or all the improvements of the A7 II have been known and available to Sony for years and could have been implemented in the original camera if they had talked with a couple of photographers before they launched it. It's on the first page of any product development ABC.

Post Thanks / Like

I think there are quite a few other considerations, particularly economic ones:

The FE venture was a leap of faith for Sony. They will have wanted to mitigate risk by not over-investing in something that they did not know would be well received. The new camera is almost certainly more expensive to make (based on the same production scale) and Sony now knows it has the volume.

Sony will not have known quite who was going to buy the A7/R, what niche it would occupy, the willingness of new users to invest in native lenses and a whole bunch more.

Regarding build quality issue, sure the new camera feels more soid, but how many users of the A7/R have reported things breaking or falling off.... say, compared to Leica M9 or M240 users? Or, how about compared to D800 oilleft focus issues, or D600 oil spots? Food for thought. It is also heavier and not everyone is pleased about this. It may have a bigger grip and better shutter position, but the two come together. It has made the camera a bit bulkier. Once again, this is a trade off and, while I think it is probably progress, I do appreciate that I can fit the A7 inside the cells in my Domke. The A7II will not fit....

IBIS? This seems to be the biggest new feature and I assume you are not referring to this being a feature that should have been on the original camera, because IBIS is hardly commonplace outside of Olympus.

What about Canon and the 7D II? They sat on that for five years. 5D II AF had to be tolerated by users for how long? There are many examples of manufacturers holding back technology and from what I am seeing and Sony is arguably much less annoying in this regard compared to some other manufacturers. The A5100 has the A6000 AF for example.

Lets not forget the A7II came one, not three to five years later. Had we wanted a more perfect product, we'd probably have had to wait longer to get it and I am glad we didn't, because at no point was anyone obliged to buy the A7 and they could have waited for the A7II. It strikes me as photographers getting upset because they can't have what they want when they want it. Like many others, I have been using the A7 and A7R very productively for the last year. Had it not been 'ready' I would have been lugging around my 5DIII....

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    It's unimpressive because most or all the improvements of the A7 II have been known and available to Sony for years and could have been implemented in the original camera if they had talked with a couple of photographers before they launched it. It's on the first page of any product development ABC.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Really every OEM does the same dang thing. None of them show all there cards in one body. It's always bits a pieces.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Seems really useful to me - and I'm definitely getting the camera - which seems excellent.
    I don't see the problem with the thread at all.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    IBIS? This seems to be the biggest new feature and I assume you are not referring to this being a feature that should have been on the original camera, because IBIS is hardly commonplace outside of Olympus.
    All Sony DSLR bodies since the 100D have had IBIS and the Konica Minolta 5D and 7D before that, all Pentax DSLR bodies since the K10D have had IBIS, the Panasonic GX7 has IBIS. Then there's Olympus. Sony is the only camera manufacturer that has started with IBIS but couldn't find a way to fit it in their mirrorless bodies. Not until now.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I like to hear all sides of an issue.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Seems really useful to me - and I'm definitely getting the camera - which seems excellent.
    I don't see the problem with the thread at all.
    But for how long this time Jono, till you find a reason to sell it again because it is just not the perfect enough Sony.

( BTW Sony gave me the last years all I wanted at quiet a fast rate, it is what Olympus used to be, although I remember it was always a long wait for the next camera. With Sony it goes so fast that it is worth it to just skip a camera or two in between. )

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Really every OEM does the same dang thing. None of them show all there cards in one body. It's always bits a pieces.
    Well, I'm not sure that's quite true. Perhaps Sony are particularly guilty.

On the other hand - the first launch of FE (as turtle says) was really brave, and you can imagine that they didn't want to throw EVERYTHING at it at once.

My biggest gripe was hand holding in good old english light . . . I wanted IBIS - a year later I've got it, of course, I could complain now that they should have put it in the first place, but that seems a bit ungraceful!.

DigitalRev have a point with their article - but then they're always taking the mickey (I like their approach incidentally).

Half Empty - Half Full. Whatever, we're all going to be better off for what Sony is doing now - however it turns out.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Hah - well, let's look at the front view

I don't disagree with lots of your points, but there really is a size difference.
    Interesting to see how much smaller the Sony is. Mind you, if Nikon produced a reduced size FF CSC capable of taking Nikkor lenses native (no extension tubes or conversion mounts) I'd be into that system like a shot.

LouisB

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    But for how long this time Jono, till you find a reason to sell it again because it is just not the perfect enough Sony.

( BTW Sony gave me the last years all I wanted at quiet a fast rate, it is what Olympus used to be, although I remember it was always a long wait for the next camera. With Sony it goes so fast that it is worth it to just skip a camera or two in between. )
    HI Michael
    Point taken . . BUT the Sony A900 is actually the longest I've owned any digital camera - my reasons for selling the A7 and the A7r were real enough to me. The A7s was different, and contingent on the fact that I didn't want to be in a system where 12mp was all I could get . . . things have changed, and I'm really trying hard not to order another A7s as a friend to my already ordered A7ii. . . . . . and worth mentioning that I've kept hold of my 2 FE lenses all along in the hope that Sony would come up with the body I DO want.

You could actually say that I've skipped the A7 and A7r to get to the A7ii

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

On the other hand - the first launch of FE (as turtle says) was really brave, and you can imagine that they didn't want to throw EVERYTHING at it at once.
    It was a smart move, and a strong indication that someone at Sony reads online forums. Since it became rather obvious that there would be no digital FM and no digital OM with a 35mm sensor, Sony grabbed the opportunity. Now there are 4 digital, 35mm retro cameras available and apparently more coming.

"If pushing the on/off switch once is good, pushing it twice must be twice as good."

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm on a jet for the next 5 hours but I'm not shutting anything down. Opposing views are healthy educational tools as long as it is polite to others that's all I care about. Different viewpoints are the slice of life. Now I have to be nice my wife is sitting next to me . The baseball bat is in the overhead .

Oh honey did I tell you I ordered another new camera.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[QUOTE=jonoslack;
    I suppose you're trying to imply Vivek that I'm some kind of a Leica shill. which is uncharitable to say the least - I don't make money from my site, my articles, my pictures or testing cameras (however occasionally I try and drum up some money for charity)[/QUOTE]

Oh that is a surprise to me; I always assumed that you had a close relationship with Leica and that they send you to China to take those wonderfull shots to stimulate other people to take interest in Leica.
    I find nothing wrong with that as long as I know that. It is a nice job to do, for a great brand. There are more people on this forum with ties to companys.
    We are perfectly capable to filter our own conclusions from all the information we can get.

But since that is not the case I wonder if I would be willing to spend so much time for a brand with no reimbursement whatsoever.
    I'll quess so if I was really in love with their products.

( Not that it is my ambition because I am in no way a good systematic tester an don't pretend to have the technical expertise either, besides trying to take good pictures)
    Last edited by Michiel Schierbeek; 6th December 2014 at 09:02.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I suppose you're trying to imply Vivek that I'm some kind of a Leica shill. which is uncharitable to say the least - I don't make money from my site, my articles, my pictures or testing cameras (however occasionally I try and drum up some money for charity)
    Your words, not mine!

Like Michael said, the pattern is clear- buy a Sony, sell it saying this is wrong and that is wrong. Never sell a Leica M because it is everything that it ought to be, even if the sensor is prone to go to smithereenes.

Some of us passionately use our tools to do photography and learn how to make of our tools to the best. It is not all that great to be hearing how great a tiny format camera is or an yesteryear's DSLR has improved while discussing a new camera from Sony. You do not see Sony users trolling about in Canon forum. It is quite simple to see and understand.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

there is one thing missing from this thread. What about someone, like me, who lives in a region where the market for buying and selling camera equipment is very underdeveloped. Buying the latest, and selling it, or selling a camera of the previous generation.

I like to make photographs. Just like most of you do..hopefully. Either I have to order from abroad..entailing all the warranty issues that involves, or wait for years for equipment to arrive here that is already ' obsolete '. I use that word very guardedly.

Sony is a manufacturer that does not cater to my region. No issues for me. It must not be in their economic interests. So I am of no significance to them.

But it is my money. I shall never ever buy a digital interchangeable lens camera system from them. They are costly for what they are. Their camera support is non-existent and their sales staff are camera sytem wise illiterate.

We have superb Nikon support, Canon support, marvellous Fuji dealers and Leica
    Handles all my issues from Solms including courier post.

But most important of all, I found that the greatest and latest cam system I could afford really did never improve my photography one iota. Except make it only slightly easy for me to use.

Age and eyesight have been the only reasons I have bought into the Df ( weight )cf. the Nikon d700 with the Fuji for auto-focus.

I shall await to see the improvements in photography in this forum with the whiz bang new Sony..whatever it is called.

I am more of a travel slut than a camera one.

p.s. I sincerely believe that even today my D700 can run rings around any Sony mirrorless System being only limited by the photog who uses it.
    koffee & kamera

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    there is one thing missing from this thread. What about someone, like me, who lives in a region where the market for buying and selling camera equipment is very underdeveloped. Buying the latest, and selling it, or selling a camera of the previous generation.

I like to make photographs. Just like most of you do..hopefully. Either I have to order from abroad..entailing all the warranty issues that involves, or wait for years for equipment to arrive here that is already ' obsolete '. I use that word very guardedly.

Sony is a manufacturer that does not cater to my region. No issues for me. It must not be in their economic interests. So I am of no significance to them.

But it is my money. I shall never ever buy a digital interchangeable lens camera system from them. They are costly for what they are. Their camera support is non-existent and their sales staff are camera sytem wise illiterate.

We have superb Nikon support, Canon support, marvellous Fuji dealers and Leica
    Handles all my issues from Solms including courier post.

But most important of all, I found that the greatest and latest cam system I could afford really did never improve my photography one iota. Except make it only slightly easy for me to use.

Age and eyesight have been the only reasons I have bought into the Df ( weight )cf. the Nikon d700 with the Fuji for auto-focus.

I am more of a travel slut than a camera one.

p.s. I sincerely believe that even today my D700 can run rings around any Sony System being only limited by the photog who uses it.

Very well, Rayyan, be active as much you can in Leica, Fuji and Nikon fora since these suit you nicely and rejoice!

I shall await to see the improvements in photography in this forum with the whiz bang new Sony..whatever it is called.
    What the heck one is supposed to make of this sort of blanket statements?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Very well, Rayyan, be active as much you can in Leica, Fuji and Nikon fora since these suit you nicely and rejoice!

Vivek, please do not tell me which fora I can or cannot participate in. I do own a Sony RX100. I have never requested similar of you..ever.

Make of it what you like. I think my statement is simple and succinct enough.

And Jorgen is not a troll. But one of the most valuable and respected members of this forum.

p.s. ' what the heck one is supposed.......' Slip is showing Vivek..should be ' what the heck is one supposed.....' But then again English is a difficult Language.
    Last edited by rayyan; 6th December 2014 at 10:06.
    koffee & kamera

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wonderful!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Now that all that is out of the way, can we please get back on topic?
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm glad your convinced - thank you.
    Again, your words, not mine.

It is one thing diss a camera for what it may or may not do and another to summarily dismiss a whole bunch who use them. I believe we agree on that. I do not and never said that anyone should refrain from participating in any fora just to be clear.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Your words not mine.

Again, your words, not mine.

........... I do not and never said that anyone should refrain from participating in any fora just to be clear.
    koffee & kamera

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Now that all that is out of the way, can we please get back on topic?
    Absolutely K-H - quite right - and in that spirit I've removed my irrelevant posts.

Personally I'm looking forward to using the A7ii with my Leica R lenses - but also with the longer M lenses, to which end I've also bought a V-ME helicoid adapter (which should be a lot of fun with the 75 APO 'cron).
    I've had a kind offer to have one brought back from the US when it ships on the 9th, but I think I'll be patient and wait until it arrives here in the UK (17th?).

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

p.s. ' what the heck one is supposed.......' Slip is showing Vivek..should be ' what the heck is one supposed.....' But then again English is a difficult Language.
    Oh I thought Vivek's English was "upper class", but what do I know I am not English.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I am moving to the next (images) Sony forum again and will wait till the real camera has arrived.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    Oh I thought Vivek's English was "upper class", but what do I know I am not English.
    Not in that sense, Michael, I am not. However, that sentence in a dialog is correctly vague, especially with the smiley.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Not to be pedantic, however it is ' dialogue ' in British English.

' Dialog ' ....well...

Mercifully, all my kids who are medical doctors would cringe if I spelt pneumonia
    Incorrectly.

But back to Sony.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely K-H - quite right - and in that spirit I've removed my irrelevant posts.

Personally I'm looking forward to using the A7ii with my Leica R lenses - but also with the longer M lenses, to which end I've also bought a V-ME helicoid adapter (which should be a lot of fun with the 75 APO 'cron).
    I've had a kind offer to have one brought back from the US when it ships on the 9th, but I think I'll be patient and wait until it arrives here in the UK (17th?).

Thanks Jono.
    Is this http://www.amazon.com/Voigtlander-Ad.../dp/B00I4BD3WO the adapter?
    Or is there a newer model?
    Does it work for FF?
    TIA.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jono.
    Is this Amazon.com : Voigtlander VM-E Close Focus Adapter for VM-Mount Lens to Sony E-Mount Camera : Camera & Photo the adapter?
    Or is there a newer model?
    Does it work for FF?
    TIA.
    Hi There
    I think this is it - but I'm not certain whether they've made two versions (I'm sure that Vivek would know) - the correct version is designed for full frame though - it's outrageously expensive in the UK - I'm being brought one back from the US by a kind forum member.

Edit:
    read down to the product description (looks good):
    The Voigtlander VM-E Close Focus Adapter allows you to use a VM-mount lens on a Sony E-Mount camera as well as shortens the minimum focusing distance of the lens. This allows you to get closer to your subject when shooting. The adapter also features an infinity lock button for securing your focus at infinity. Additionally, this adapter is able to cover a full frame 24 x 36mm sensor.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

AA Summicron 75/2 works very nicely on Sony FF cameras (attached with a Hawk Peng V2.5 adapter, lot cheaper than the Cosina adapter though the Cosina version- only one- is absolutely superbly made).

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
    A7r, Summicron 75/2, Amsterdam.

Hacked A7, Summicron 75/2, Amsterdam Ultraviolet capture, very low shutter speed

The A7 II (IBIS) would have helped me with the 2nd picture.

On a side note, I like Spelt (spelt - Wiktionary) though I might have spelled certain words incorrectly according to some.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

AA Summicron 75/2 works very nicely on Sony FF cameras (attached with a Hawk Peng V2.5 adapter, lot cheaper than the Cosina adapter though the Cosina version- only one- is absolutely superbly made).
    Thanks for that

On a side note I like Spelt (spelt - Wiktionary) though I might have spelled certain words incorrectly according to some.
    you certainly spelt Michiel wrong

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for that

you certainly spelt Michiel wrong
    Indeed.

No errors in English though. As I admitted to Michiel, me no upper class english.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A7r, Summicron 75/2, Amsterdam.

Hacked A7, Summicron 75/2, Amsterdam Ultraviolet capture, very low shutter speed

The A7 II (IBIS) would have helped me with the 2nd picture.

On a side note, I like Spelt (spelt - Wiktionary) though I might have spelled certain words incorrectly according to some.
    Thanks Vivek. Great images. Here is a V3.
    HAWK'S FACTORY LEICA-M L-M to SONY E-mount MACRO TUBE HELICOID V3 FOR 135 FF
    Interesting info with regards to the focal length it works with.
    I have a couple of the older HAWKS adapters that don't cut it for FF.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi There
    I think this is it - but I'm not certain whether they've made two versions (I'm sure that Vivek would know) - the correct version is designed for full frame though - it's outrageously expensive in the UK - I'm being brought one back from the US by a kind forum member.

Edit:
    read down to the product description (looks good):
    The Voigtlander VM-E Close Focus Adapter allows you to use a VM-mount lens on a Sony E-Mount camera as well as shortens the minimum focusing distance of the lens. This allows you to get closer to your subject when shooting. The adapter also features an infinity lock button for securing your focus at infinity. Additionally, this adapter is able to cover a full frame 24 x 36mm sensor.

Thanks again Jono.
    Do you know for which focal length that adapter is good?
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again Jono.
    Do you know for which focal length that adapter is good?
    Typically all of the M<->E/FE mount adapters work well for all M mount lenses so you should be able everything between 12-180mm (or whatever the range is on M lenses.) I only own Voigtlander ones personally but most of them I've read about will focus slightly past infinity even if the lens won't.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

HI Annna
    Whist I agree with you about the lag to what you SEE (clearly more with EVF) the lag to what you GET is much less without the mirror. The X-T1 especially seemed to give you exactly what you saw when you pressed the shutter - the A7s with the electronic shutter seemed pretty good as well. You see it later . . . but get it sooner (if you see what I mean).

Someone showed me a good real life test once - you sit in a cafe with the open door about ten feet away and try and catch people as they walk past the door - it's amazing the difference between one camera and another. . . . and how many of them just present you with a photo of an empty doorway!

I think Jorgen's real reason for the D810 is the inherently better tracking with an SLR - as you say - car racing.
    I've tried hard to duplicate this, and have failed. I see very little noticeable lag in the EVF. I've shot lots of birds-in-flight with no blank frames.

Now, I have not shot race cars while panning, so that may indeed show lag. But for near anything else, no noticeable lag. Even in low light when the frame rate slows a bit, it still seems quite current. If there is some way to test this, please tell me.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it will or should be shut down.

In fact, this has been one of my favorite threads here. It's very balanced and very informative. Even when the discussion gets heated (as happens in ALL photography forums), it's still quite civil.

Post Thanks / Like

What I'd love to know is what IBIS brings to the table with OSS lenses, with the addition of two axis. Will stabilization of the FE70-200mm @ 200mm show an improvement on the A7II?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not to be pedantic, however it is ' dialogue ' in British English.

' Dialog ' ....well...

Mercifully, all my kids who are medical doctors would cringe if I spelt pneumonia
    Incorrectly.

But back to Sony.
    Incorrectly should not have an uppercase to start with because it is still part of your sentence.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    I've tried hard to duplicate this, and have failed. I see very little noticeable lag in the EVF. I've shot lots of birds-in-flight with no blank frames.

Now, I have not shot race cars while panning, so that may indeed show lag. But for near anything else, no noticeable lag. Even in low light when the frame rate slows a bit, it still seems quite current. If there is some way to test this, please tell me.
    I agree. It is not hard to train oneself for the (anticipated)lag and react quickly. This has been discussed earlier w.r.t the A7r ( it is somewhere in the " Fun with Sony.." thread). In fact, I have had this discussion with Jono and that should also be here somewhere.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

K-H, The 2.5 and 3 Hawk Peng versions work with a bit more stability than the earlier ones. He was the first to come up with the focusing adapter.

(FI: He just got out of the hospital following a heart attack and recovering.)

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. It is not hard to train oneself for the (anticipated)lag and react quickly. This has been discussed earlier w.r.t the A7r ( it is somewhere in the " Fun with Sony.." thread). In fact, I have had this discussion with Jono and that should also be here somewhere.
    Honestly, I don't recall training myself, unless it was done subconsciously.

In fact, I didn't know about this lag "issue" until I read about it forums. I have just never noticed it.