The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Sony A7II

mesposito

Anyone see the vertical grip listed anywhere. I'll do global on that
Bloomberg has this article that mentions this:

New accessories designed for use with the new α7II include the VG-C2EM
vertical grip and LCS-ELCB soft carrying case.

I did fine a reference to it on sony.co.uk here

VG-C2EM Vertical Grip for the α7 II
A vertical battery grip designed especially for the α7 II, this grip enhances stability and camera control in vertical or horizontal shooting. Holds two NP-FW50 rechargeable battery packs (not included) for longer battery life when shooting. Highly reliable water and dust resistant construction.

Compatible models: α7 II

Viramati

From reading through the specs it would appear that the improvements that Sony claim will be made to the auto-focus performance are most probably firmware/software based as the sensor etc seem to be the same. What really annoys me is that if this is so I presume the auto-focus performance of the present A7 could be improved through a firmware upgrade. My understanding is that over the years Sony have been really bad at updating firmware preferring to bring in new models, while this obviously makes them more money the A7 is only a year old and is even touted by Sony as being a professional camera (after all they now offer a professional service package in the US and maybe elsewhere). I really feel that Sony should change their policy on this.

tn1krr

Reading the PDF file on this cam. Some highlights

16-bit image processing and 14-bit RAW output
Area-specific noise reduction
Pro-quality XAVC S format
Full-frame expression without the bulk
Picture Profile
Clean HDMI output
S-Log2 gamma setting
Time code / User bit
16-bit image processing and 14-bit RAW output help
preserve maximum detail and produce images of the
highest quality with rich tonal gradations. The 14-bit RAW
(Sony ARW) format ensures optimal quality for later image
adjustment (via Image Data Converter or other software).

When your subject is moving fast, you
can beautifully capture the decisive
moment with sharp, well-exposed results
via 5fps continuous AF/AE shooting.
A dramatically improved algorithm
accurately predicts subject movement
so you can steadfastly track the subject
with 1.5x more accurate performance*
when shooting continuously. 117 focal
plane phase-detection AF points ensure
accurate tracking over a wide area
for up to 77 frames (JPEG Fine L) at 5fps.
Moreover, a continuous AF Display lets
you confirm which AF point is active.

Sony AF captures your subject and
doesn’t let go
FAST
AF captures your subject
without fail
Autofocusing is amazingly fast. Just
point, shoot and let Sony’s sophisticated
Fast Hybrid AF system instantly
capture your fast-moving subject with
razor-sharp clarity. Speedy phase-detection
AF, highly accurate contrastdetection
AF and high-speed BIONZ
X image processing contribute to
outstanding AF performance, while a
more advanced algorithm enhances
the accuracy of subject detection,
leading to optimization of lens drive
movement that results in a 30%
faster AF speed*.
I've done some "spec diving" on the A7 II, I was sort of 50/50 if I should trade my A6000 for A7 II as I'm still struggling with ergonomic differences between A7R and A6000, we won't see much light for next 6 months so FF rules here and I'm not that much of an action shooter. But it seems outside IBIS the A7 II is not that much different from A7

- AF sensitivity is the same, so low light AF same. The -1EV sensitivity got hyped in for example dpreview a bit, but Sony changed how it specifies the sensitivity between A7/A7R and A7S.
* A7/A7R are 0-20EV ISO F/2.8 lens
* A7S is -4-20 EV ISO100 F/2.0 lens
* A7 II is -1-20 ISO100 F/2.0 lens.

1 EV is one stop so A7S has 3 EV better sensitivity than others that are all same. This makes perfect sense since low light AF is always CDAF and since sensor has practically same ISO performance same the AF sensitivity does not change. A7S is much better due to its huge ISO advantage

- RAW is still compressed, same old ARW 2.3. There has been quite heated discussions in dpreview about this lately about whether or not it matters, but no change there

- sensor-PDAF is not gonna be on level of A6000; much less PDAF points grouped in center of the frame ==> no PDAF tracking in the edge of the screen and less samples due to less dense PDAF "grid". sensor-PDAF points are way smaller (thus less light sensitive and less accurate) than those in saparate AF system in floppy-mirror/SLT camera so density matters; the more PDAF points cower your target the more accurate rangefing PDAF gets. Sony has admitted that with less PDAF points A7 II cannot do all the magic A6000 can

- all the area specific NR stuff were already in A7/A7R, those are Bionz X features

- no improvement on Auto-ISO, still no configurable min shutter speed. This should have been really easy fix, but it did not materialize

- no changes in bracketing, still limited, again should have been really easy fix

So to my eye outside IBIS there is not that much there for a still photog, video guys should be excited about new codec etc.

I just ordered APO Sonnar 135/2 ZE for my metabones adapter, that lens would like IBIS a lot but I still want the 36 MP sensor with it and I mostly shoot with speedlites/strobes during winter so IBIS does not do much; the EVF stabilization would be nice for focusing but still...

Steve P.

I note this morning that, whereas the price of the A7 mk.1 in the U.K. has been around £11-1200, Calumet UK are offering it for £899 until Dec 1st,(while stocks last). It begins. :D

jonoslack

Truth to tell I more or less assumed after the negative feedback on shutter noise that Sony had addressed this with the A7s and that going forward they would apply at least some sort of quieter shutter option to all new models. If this is not the case I'll be truly dismayed. Does anyone know if the Mk. ii shutter is any quieter than the Mk. i?
Hi Steve
I think they would have said - The A7s was only sorted because it had a full electronic shutter - I don't think you could do that (yet) with 24mp, and certainly it doesn't seem like it. If you switched off the electronic shutter on the A7s, then it sounded just like an A7 with EFC switched on.

At least with EFC and IBIS you're unlikely to get any vibration effect from the shutter - just the noise, and that's not insupportable.

Steve P.

Hi Jono,
I guess I was hoping that, given the number of 'unhappy campers' voicing their concerns on shutter noise after release, Sony may have been prompted to improve it in the mk.2 to some extent. Personally I'd be happier with a max speed of 1/4000 if it enabled better damping of the shutter. I must say though that I'm starting to feel a little churlish in complaining too much about the details when these cameras offer so damn much in ways that were unheard of not so long ago.
Still, I'll continue to look the gift horse squarely in the mouth for as long as I possibly can. :p

Godfrey

To me, one of the more important improvements to the A7II is the steel lens mount. Since I'm not buying an A7II any time soon, I just ordered one of the Fotodiox steel lens mount updates for my A7. $40 is a cheap price to pay for a significant improvement like that.

G

Valentin

So to my eye outside IBIS there is not that much there for a still photog, video guys should be excited about new codec etc....
The ergonomics changes are big for a still photographer (that uses the camera all day long).

For me, the big letdown was the EVF refresh rate. It's not good in low light. Because of that, it's a no starter for me. Coupled with the small choices of native lenses ...

jonoslack

It's possible. I had the 70-200/2.8 mk I. It's a great lens and I hear the newer one is even better. It's one of a few lenses I regret selling. The FE version is competent (probably better for what I'd need) when I tried it in store but it's nowhere as good optically as the A-mount versions.
Interesting - I've been looking at the photozone reviews, and they really like the 70-200 f4.

I'd been wondering about the A7ii with the FE 70-200 f4 vs the Olympus E-M1 with the lovely new 40-150 f2.8 (clearly an excellent lens). The combined weight isn't actually that different - which is a bit of an eye opener.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Interesting - I've been looking at the photozone reviews, and they really like the 70-200 f4.

I'd been wondering about the A7ii with the FE 70-200 f4 vs the Olympus E-M1 with the lovely new 40-150 f2.8 (clearly an excellent lens). The combined weight isn't actually that different - which is a bit of an eye opener.
The equivalent focal length would be the Panasonic 35-10mm, Jono. Big difference:

Annna T

I have the 70-200mm FE F4 and on the A7r my copy isn't as good as the Canon 70-200mm F4 on the Metabones adapter. I'm also thinking to the Olympus 40-150mm which is one stop faster and reaches 100mm longer (80-300mm equivalent). So, for the same weight you get more performance.

ptomsu

Workshop Member

I think you should not compare the Sony 70-200/4 with the Olympus 40-150/2.8 - total different beasts for total different applications.

With the Olympus you get an effective reach of 300 at 2.8 and adding the TC1.4 gives you a 420/4 - far more than the Sony. And the TC combinations from Olympus are stellar, I know this from the 35-100/2 with the TC1.4 which was EXCELLENT and I have no doubts that the m43 combo is not as good at least!

Also keep in mind that there should be soon a new generation of m43 sensors with even higher MP count and more DR. So what it finally comes down is can you survive with that newer m43 sensor MP count or will you need something north of 36MP FF ?????

I for myself have the answer - m43! Well not completely because this is in addition to Fuji X ;)

Last edited:

biglouis

... and another thing. Have they finally fixed the awful implementation of auto-iso on this new camera? Maybe they should have put some investment into firmware before introducing another body...

LouisB

I've done some "spec diving" on the A7 II, I was sort of 50/50 if I should trade my A6000 for A7 II as I'm still struggling with ergonomic ...
Having owned the A6000, at the end of the day I preferred the larger EVF view from the A7. I file this under ergonomics.

... and another thing. Have they finally fixed the awful implementation of auto-iso on this new camera? Maybe they should have put some investment into firmware before introducing another body...

LouisB
Don't believe so but we'll see.

Personally, I would rather have the new hardware based IBIS than a firmware update and I don't see that one has to happen at the expense of another.

Fuji has spoiled the pot with their firmware kaizen and it is a great differentiator. Unless Sony markets their intentions to use firmware updates to continually improve their cameras I make my purchase decisions on the base specs and configurations.

All that said, Sony seems to have a one foot in the door approach to firmware kaizen. You might get new features and or existing feature improvements or you might get a big fat nothing (See RX1).

jonoslack

The equivalent focal length would be the Panasonic 35-10mm, Jono. Big difference:

Well Jorgen - not quite . . because the extra mp gives you more croppability - extra because Im not over fond of 4:3 and usually crop to 3:2 anyway . . . and the equivalent aperture (FWIW) is f5.6 on the f2.8 µ43 (light gathering will be more than made up for by the better ISO).

Anyone notice that not only did they eliminate the shelf in the front of the camera, where the original A7 control dial sat, but they also reworked the rear and eliminated the shelf where the play button was situated above. Hitting play on the A7 was very awkward at first as you would rub up against that shelf. After a year of use I don't notice it now but the new design looks much more finger friendly.

Godfrey

LouisB
What's so awful about the implementation of AutoISO?
Seems to work just fine for me.. ??

G

scho

What's so awful about the implementation of AutoISO?
Seems to work just fine for me.. ??

G
I would prefer being able to specify a minimum shutter speed. 1/60 just doesn't work well for me with longer lenses. I usually end up using shutter priority or manual instead of aperture priority because of this fixed 1/60 minimum when using AutoISO.