Images

Re: The Sony A7II

To stick with the subject:
    A really good development from Sony but I rather wait for the 9
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    The IBIS makes it a perfect candidate for use with R lenses (and of course any other longer lenses). 24mp suits me well.
    +1!!! Debating between this and rebuilding the backup R8. The a7II looks really really good to me.
    Doug Herr http://www.wildlightphoto.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    Fuji just announced a huge new firmware upgrade for the X-T1. Rather than making us all buy new cameras, Fuji keeps adding value to the one we bought. Bravo Fuji!
    or put it this way - rather then do a proper design Fuji makes dudes that requires 2-3 years to reach the workable state...
    A7RII + FE55/1.8

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A most welcome update. But I haven't seen any mention of the RAW format of the new camera. Does it still have the dubious lossy 12 bit version of the first generation, or has Sony listened to their customers and finally given us a real lossless 14 bit RAW output?
    Another unaswered question is if the A7-II has kept the electronic first curtain shutter of the A7.

Post Thanks / Like

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is sounding like I can fully commit to the FE mount cams. I'm thinking of going for it. Anyone see pricing and time frame for release in US.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Arne, the official specs list is on sony.net:

Sony Global - Digital Imaging ? ?7 II

RAW format shows Sony ARW 2.3 format, which is the same as the a7:

ILCE-7 : ILCE-7 : Interchangeable Lens Camera : Sony Asia Pacific.

We will have to see if Sony introduces truly uncompressed RAW image recording. But I'm not holding my breath. Then again I can only see compression artifacts in a couple of my images.

PS: Sony has always said 14 bit RAW recording. This is simply untrue. They might as well list the number of photons that the sensor could possibly capture in a vacuum. In the end the RAW files that are decoded in your PC software are compressed heavily.

http://diglloyd.com/blog/2014/201402...ar-trails.html

It's the ultimate in pixel peeping but its there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Viramati View Post
    So it did for the A7 too...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sloppywmu View Post
    Arne, the official specs list is on sony.net:

RAW format shows Sony ARW 2.3 format, which is the same as the a7:

ILCE-7 : ILCE-7 : Interchangeable Lens Camera : Sony Asia Pacific.

We will have to see if Sony introduces truly uncompressed RAW image recording. But I'm not holding my breath. Then again I can only see compression artifacts in a couple of my images.

PS: Sony has always said 14 bit RAW recording. This is simply untrue. They might as well list the number of photons that the sensor could possibly capture in a vacuum. In the end the RAW files that are decoded in your PC software are compressed heavily.

diglloyd: Sony

It's the ultimate in pixel peeping but its there.
    Yes, Lloyd Chambers shows this very well. A pity Sony didn't take the opportunity to change the RAW recording. I have seen the negative effects in just a few images. I think RAW should be as unaltered and uncompressed as possible. I like to return to older files for re-development as software improves.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    +1!!! Debating between this and rebuilding the backup R8. The a7II looks really really good to me.
    Hi Doug, You are willing to use an EVF now?
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Hvaring View Post
    Yes, Lloyd Chambers shows this very well. A pity Sony didn't take the opportunity to change the RAW recording. I have seen the negative effects in just a few images. I think RAW should be as unaltered and uncompressed as possible. I like to return to older files for re-development as software improves.
    Exactly. If I wanted compressed files I wouldn't be shooting RAW on a $1700 camera.

I would even be OK with it if they had to compress the files for some technical reason. But it must be easier and quicker to not compress files. It seems like an engineer was let loose to show their technical prowess. But it actually harms the user.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    I'm no in the US. Almost everyone sell to the US .. I think the LB-A7 is the grip, but we are speaking of L plate here. A cheap L plate cositing 15$
    LB-A7 is indeed the L plate. That's why I post the suggestion to use Google, Amazon or other suppliers in ebay as there are many of them. One of them may be able to ship to you.
    Mike Broomfield
    www.pbase.com/mike_broomfield
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fuji just announced a huge new firmware upgrade for the X-T1. Rather than making us all buy new cameras, Fuji keeps adding value to the one we bought. Bravo Fuji!
    Good strategy.

Leica increases the prices to add value. Also, good strategy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exactly. If I wanted compressed files I wouldn't be shooting RAW on a $1700 camera.

I would even be OK with it if they had to compress the files for some technical reason. But it must be easier and quicker to not compress files. It seems like an engineer was let loose to show their technical prowess. But it actually harms the user.
    Indeed. Still, for me it isn't quite a deal breaker. The improved handgrip and position of the shutter release look promising. Maybe I can mount a wrist strap on this body, is impossible on my A7r, gets in the way for the shutter button.
    Ibis works in enlarged mode, should make precise handheld manual focusing much easier; real progress.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow the A7II has a lot of upgrades that I hoped for after my A7. Better grip, shutter moved forward, more reachable custom buttons... they look to have improved the ergonomics quite a bit. With 5-axis added, and faster AF, this is very tempting. I told myself to wait for a rangefinder-body upgrade to the A7, but...

I wonder if they have improved the Auto-ISO/Shutter speed behavior beyond the dumb logic in the A7 of "decrease shutter speed until 1/60s, then increase ISO". Certainly, they'll have had to rethink how the IBIS affects things.

Also, I wonder if they will add silent shutter?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Hvaring View Post
    Indeed. Still, for me it isn't quite a deal breaker. The improved handgrip and position of the shutter release look promising. Maybe I can mount a wrist strap on this body, is impossible on my A7r, gets in the way for the shutter button.
    Ibis works in enlarged mode, should make precise handheld manual focusing much easier; real progress.
    Yeah hopefully Sony release some more PRO type firmware changes.

I can't wait for this time next year when I'm complaining that my a7II only has 5 stops of in body stabilization.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Any guesses on how loud the IBIS will be when it is fully active?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am really astonished about the replies here about the new A7 II.

Is it really so difficult to see what kind of a Milestone that 5 axis image stabilisation is ? Using the chip and allowing it for all 3rd party lenses as well ?

Hello - Good morning ? For that feature alone some other people would probably kill, respectively pay thousands of $ just to get their one important lens stabilized 4,5 stops !

α7 Ⅱ 5-axis SteadyShot INSIDE from Sony: Official Video Release - YouTube

And probably that is only the beginning, I am pretty sure an A7R II with same specs will follow.

Firmware update...... people you are funny sometimes.

Greetings from Germany
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Any guesses on how loud the IBIS will be when it is fully active?
    IBIS seems very quite in my E-M5 and E-M1.
    I can tell it's doing its thing when the image in the EVF stops jerking around.
    Presumably the A7II will behave similarly.
    But maybe my hearing is not the best anymore.

It certainly doesn't sound off the annoying music in the Sony video!
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Then it should be very silent for me, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Steib View Post
    I am really astonished about the replies here about the new A7 II.

Is it really so difficult to see what kind of a Milestone that 5 axis image stabilisation is ? Using the chip and allowing it for all 3rd party lenses as well ?

Hello - Good morning ? For that feature alone some other people would probably kill, respectively pay thousands of $ just to get their one important lens stabilized 4,5 stops !

α7 Ⅱ 5-axis SteadyShot INSIDE from Sony: Official Video Release - YouTube

And probably that is only the beginning, I am pretty sure an A7R II with same specs will follow.

Firmware update...... people you are funny sometimes.

Greetings from Germany
    Stefan
    All good points Stefan.

I worry about where they are headed if anywhere. Why make all these nice expensive lenses with OSS then release cameras with IBIS? Shouldn't the lenses have been made smaller and lighter without OSS. Wasn't there some management of the product line from the start?

Essentially we all paid for the development of the II version with all of our A7(x) purchases. I understand that is exactly how business should work. I'm just spoiled by Apple constantly updating and maintaining software on phones and computers, that are years old, for free.

So if I buy the a7II will it be replaced in a year with a camera with one truly new feature and some firmware updates? Will the a7III be the size of a D610 and only just be able to track focus as well as the latter?

In the end I just need to go out and take photos instead of complaining about new technology being released.

It is awfully fun watching all this technology advance the art of taking photos.

Post Thanks / Like

.....and good on them for improving the shutter release location and some of the controls without punching existing users in the face. Its not just about new adopters, but those who bought into the existing generation. We can't be left confused and struggling to interchange the cameras. I'm so glad they did not do a Windows 8 LOL.

Its rare that a manufacturer makes me thrilled by the next generation but equally thrilled I bought into the last!

Honestly, I have no idea whatsoever how Canon and Nikon are going to respond to this. I personally believe M43 remains largely unaffected (I still love mine), but DSLR territory is dwindling and I'm particularly worried for Canon. They don't have the sensors or the platform and, while they are doing just great in terms of DSLR sales (relative to the competition), the DSLR enclave is going to collapse to a fraction of its current size within 5 years.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's be honest though... Compressed RAW hasn't made the difference of whether or not a great picture you took was a great picture.

I wouldn't file that under "deal breaker." We were all enamored by the IQ that the A7 and A7r COULD produce way before someone with too much time on their hands sat down to figure out if the RAW's remained 14-bit or were compressed to 11-bit.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can only guess: after reading the specs of the Stabilization it may be that a full 5 axis stabilization will only work simultaniously with OSS lenses. The 3 axis feature will do on non stabilized and 3rd party lenses.

And then all this perfectly makes sense !

Regards
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tre, The "famous" names come out whenever there is a new Sony cam. Don't take the bait.

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Let's be honest though... Compressed RAW hasn't made the difference of whether or not a great picture you took was a great picture.

I wouldn't file that under "deal breaker." We were all enamored by the IQ that the A7 and A7r COULD produce way before someone with too much time on their hands sat down to figure out if the RAW's remained 14-bit or were compressed to 11-bit.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can only guess: after reading the specs of the Stabilization it may be that a full 5 axis stabilization will only work simultaniously with OSS lenses. The 3 axis feature will do on non stabilized and 3rd party lenses.

And then all this perfectly makes sense !

Regards
    Stefan
    Exactly the opposite, Stefan. Look at the diagram again!

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly not a "deal breaker". So why do it? Is anyone hurting for extra hard drive space? I can fit over 1000 raws on a 32gb card. I would be more than OK with half of that if I knew I was capturing every last bit of information from the sensor for my later use.

I guess I should point out that I'm taking these photos for myself and I do everything I can to make sure I capture the best file I can. Then Sony compresses it? Why? I bought $800 and $1000 dollar lenses to grab fleeting personal moments as best I can. Then Sony compresses them. It's just an unnecessary interjection into the process.

If I remember correctly the a99 stores uncompressed RAWs. So Sony knows how to do this already.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bottom line, including the IS this update is HUGE! My only concern is the top ISO is only 25k. I would have been a whole lot happier to see something like 100k, so it isn't going to be a replacement for my A7S or A7R.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Any word about the shutter ? Is it still loud ? Does it still induce vibration ?
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Any word about the shutter ? Is it still loud ? Does it still induce vibration ?
    The A7 doesn't have any shutter vibration issues, even when EFCS is not used. The A7r had vibration issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Seems to be the same as the a7. Which I don't find that loud and has zero vibration effect.

What are you comparing it to? The a7II has an electronic first curtain shutter. So it shouldn't be as loud as an a7r.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Certainly not a "deal breaker". So why do it? Is anyone hurting for extra hard drive space? I can fit over 1000 raws on a 32gb card. I would be more than OK with half of that if I knew I was capturing every last bit of information from the sensor for my later use.

I guess I should point out that I'm taking these photos for myself and I do everything I can to make sure I capture the best file I can. Then Sony compresses it? Why? I bought $800 and $1000 dollar lenses to grab fleeting personal moments as best I can. Then Sony compresses them. It's just an unnecessary interjection into the process.

If I remember correctly the a99 stores uncompressed RAWs. So Sony knows how to do this already.
    If you didn't like the IQ then why buy the camera is the larger question...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Tre, The "famous" names come out whenever there is a new Sony cam. Don't take the bait.
    Yeah I know some people like to complain for the sake of complaining. Not saying that's the case here but buy one or don't buy one - it's that simple.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah... I guess I don't get the point...

No one is making anyone buy a new camera. It's just an updated iteration and a more enticing reason to add a Sony body for those on the fence. It doesn't make my A7 or A7r magically worthless now.

I'm glad that Fuji is making firmware updates for Fuji owners. Many of them were to correct flaws many didn't think should've been in place from the get go like sluggish AF lock for some. Sony has done the same type of improvements to decrease start up times and make tweaks to image quality. Sony has released three firmware updates within a year. So they do support their products but there wasn't much wrong with the A7 or A7r for my purpose.

The only way to get different ergonomics, improved shutter button placement, a possibly quieter shutter, improved new generation sensor, or IBIS on ANY camera that didn't have it before is to buy another camera though.

Post Thanks / Like

If you didn't like the IQ then why buy the camera is the larger question...
    I don't want to derail the thread but I will. . It was simply the best compromise at the time that my Nikon gear was stolen. And the IQ is great. Never said it wasn't.

Either way this II version looks good. I just wish Sony would polish the firmware up a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There are a few remaining memes still breathing life into Sony forum dissatisfaction. That cupboard is starting to look bare though, and may soon look like a Monty Python sketch.

This is a very significant and prompt response to the first order set of issues in the a7 series. Four stops of solid stabilisation, plus a strong mount and the ergo fixes alone (dials look to have more ergo and affordance too) after just a year. For what will be very good money after the dust settles.

Sony now own off brand legacy lens usage. I hope the memory settings save the FL legacy lens choices. I think they will look at the market response to the a7II and use that in the final decisions for the new a9, expect very big things from the first new high Mp sensor in two years, to be announced in perhaps two months.

Where they are going? With the innovation curve still resembling a 787 at an air show (Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner performs acrobatic stunts - Jumbo Jet Stunts Farnborough Airshow 2014 - YouTube) Sony will not linger long before giving the user community what they know they can use, and what they want.

The pace of change will slow - and they have said they want models to last longer in future - but only after the second iteration releases. And how good is their security? No one knew about this...no one.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by horshack View Post
    The A7 doesn't have any shutter vibration issues, even when EFCS is not used. The A7r had vibration issues... FOR SOME
    Fixed it for you...

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be placing a preorder as soon as Sony USA gets around to announcing this thing in the states. I'm a huge fan of the IBIS on the Olympus bodies and having it on a FF sensor will open up lots of new hand-held shooting opportunities that aren't currently possible with other cameras.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I do not see the RAW thing as deal breaker personally either, it propably is not for 99.9x % of people. But this issue was not dug up with someone with too much time, I actually shot FE 16-35 vs A Mount 16-35/2.8 comparison last week with the guy who took the origial "Sony RAW compression poster pic", the star trail pic seen in for example here and that Lloyd Chambers 1st made public

RawDigger: detecting posterization in SONY cRAW/ARW2 files | RawDigger

The photographer is a local guy doing a lot of very cool night/star stuff, you will be hard-pressed to find a more dedicated nature-photographer than he is. He came from Nikon D800 and this issue popped up after he had spent hours in darkness taking long exposures, the artefacts surfaced as part of his normal post processing workflow. I can well understand his frustration with this, he has posted other examples of compression acting up in local photography forum.

Unless the lossy RAW Compression is part of Bionz X HW pipeline Sony really should give us the option of lossless format.

Post Thanks / Like

Fixed it for you...
    Quote Originally Posted by tn1krr View Post
    I do not see the RAW thing as deal breaker personally either, it propably is not for 99.9x % of people. But this issue was not dug up with someone with too much time, I actually shot FE 16-35 vs A Mount 16-35/2.8 comparison last week with the guy who took the origial "Sony RAW compression poster pic", the star trail pic seen in for example here and that Lloyd Chambers 1st made public

The photographer is a local guy doing a lot of very cool night/star stuff, you will be hard-pressed to find a more dedicated nature-photographer than he is. He came from Nikon D800 and this issue popped up after he had spent hours in darkness taking long exposures, the artefacts surfaced as part of his normal post processing workflow. I can well understand his frustration with this, he has posted other examples of compression acting up in local photography forum.

Unless the lossy RAW Compression is part of Bionz X HW pipeline Sony really should give us the option of lossless format.
    The situations where Sony's compression has an effect on IQ are exceedingly remote. At the height of the hysteria many were blaming the compression on all kinds of otherwise typical image artifacts, 99% of which had nothing to do with the compression. To help sort that situation out I wrote free software that lets anyone see which parts of their Sony images are compressed, so that they can correlate any artifacts to the compression. You can read about (and download) the software from my dpreview thread: Those 14 bits (part 2): Sony Alpha/NEX E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The claim is that IBIS adds 4.5 stops.

Question - how many stops do stabilized lenses add, by themselves?

Question #2 - when using the A7m2 along with OSS lenses (-assuming- they will work together), will there be any improvement in stabilization?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tn1krr View Post

Fair enough but anecdotal evidence of one person (real or otherwise) doesn't constitute a problem for all that SOME try to make it out to be. If that one guy didn't post about it then people wouldn't have such an issue... kinda like the shutter shock "issue." Few people would even know it existed if someone didn't go out of their way to create a mob of people that decided it was unbearable for them as well even when their longest lens goes to 200mm (which is very easy to handhold BTW.)

That's the problem with many new electronics and the internet. People go out of their way to look for problems most wouldn't encounter in normal usage then demand a total redesign.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough but anecdotal evidence of one person (real or otherwise) doesn't constitute a problem for all that SOME try to make it out to be. If that one guy didn't post about it then people wouldn't have such an issue... kinda like the shutter shock "issue." Few people would even know it existed if someone didn't go out of their way to create a mob of people that decided it was unbearable for them as well even when their longest lens goes to 200mm (which is very easy to handhold BTW.)

That's the problem with many new electronics and the internet. People go out of their way to look for problems most wouldn't encounter in normal usage then demand a total redesign.
    You seem mistaken on this issue, badly mistaken!
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Vivek

I am not sure this is like you describe. There is a feature site especially for the Stabilization which say the OSS Lenses are splitting the movements on 2 systems with full capacity with OSS lenses. But it can also be used with OSS Lenses and all 5 axis on chip only mode.
    Google translate from Jajanese site

"...Equipped of 5-axis body within the camera shake correction, such as A-mount lenses as well as E-mount lens, you can compensate for camera shake in a variety of lens. E-mount lens of OSS (lens in the optical camera shake correction function) lens featuring the (* 1) when worn, correction of angular camera shake (Pitch / Yaw) in the lens side, Shifutobure (X / Y) and rotational camera shake (Roll) of correction was performed in the body side, by combining the correction of lens side and the body side, to achieve the optimal 5 Jikute shake correction. When mounting the A-mount lens via a mount adapter LA-EA4 / LA-EA3 (optional) is carried out 5 Jikute blur correction at the body side (* 2), etc., while making the most of imaging performance of the lens can be optimal camera shake correction..."

https://translate.google.de/translat...feature_1.html

Post Thanks / Like

and having it on a FF sensor will open up lots of new hand-held shooting opportunities that aren't currently possible with other cameras.
    so А99 being a FF camera does not have IBIS ?
    A7RII + FE55/1.8

Post Thanks / Like

That is the only official information I can find in regards to this camera. If you scroll down to stabilization and select the second image it explains that two axis will be done by lens based OSS, when available, the other three by the IBIS. The is no information about increased or decreased effectiveness so I won't speculate.

I have used lens and body stabilization with a Panasonic lens on an Olympus body. But the two systems just fought each other. Hopefully Sony can integrate them for some kind of super stabilization but who knows.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stefan, Go here: Sony Global - Digital Imaging ? ?7 II

Scroll down to the space just before th pic samples, look at "Automatic Optimization". That should explain it for you.

In both the cases 5 axis stab would work.

Hi Vivek

I am not sure this is like you describe. There is a feature site especially for the Stabilization which say the OSS Lenses are splitting the movements on 2 systems with full capacity with OSS lenses. But it can also be used with OSS Lenses and all 5 axis on chip only mode.
    Google translate from Jajanese site

"...Equipped of 5-axis body within the camera shake correction, such as A-mount lenses as well as E-mount lens, you can compensate for camera shake in a variety of lens. E-mount lens of OSS (lens in the optical camera shake correction function) lens featuring the (* 1) when worn, correction of angular camera shake (Pitch / Yaw) in the lens side, Shifutobure (X / Y) and rotational camera shake (Roll) of correction was performed in the body side, by combining the correction of lens side and the body side, to achieve the optimal 5 Jikute shake correction. When mounting the A-mount lens via a mount adapter LA-EA4 / LA-EA3 (optional) is carried out 5 Jikute blur correction at the body side (* 2), etc., while making the most of imaging performance of the lens can be optimal camera shake correction..."

https://translate.google.de/translat...feature_1.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deejjjaaaa View Post
    so А99 being a FF camera does not have IBIS ?
    It absolutely does and it's most likely the same system. I think people are excited, myself included, because we would be able to use this IBIS with a wide range of adapted lenses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    You seem mistaken on this issue, badly mistaken!
    Well I've lived with both an A7 and A7r for the last year soooo I'm gonna say that I'm not mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

The situations where Sony's compression has an effect on IQ are exceedingly remote. At the height of the hysteria many were blaming the compression on all kinds of otherwise typical image artifacts, 99% of which had nothing to do with the compression. To help sort that situation out I wrote free software that lets anyone see which parts of their Sony images are compressed, so that they can correlate any artifacts to the compression. You can read about (and download) the software from my dpreview thread: Those 14 bits (part 2): Sony Alpha/NEX E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
    Thank you for doing that horshack. And thanks for the link.
    The only place I've noticed artifacts is in very high contrast areas.