The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Sony A7II

Rawfa

At this price range, even if this camera is not a huge improvement over my A7(s), it's worth the replacement, as I can sell the A7 here in Brazil for around us$2k.

IBIS is an amazing addition and as I shoot video on a regular basis, XAVC-S is a BIG BIG bonus. 30% AF improvement is not a big deal for me right now, as none of the current full frame e-mount lenses do it for my needs.

V

Vivek

More than the XAVC-S, it offers SLog2 gamma profiles (same as in the A7s). :)

iiiNelson

Well, I guess this was the other reason for getting involved with Olympus, as it's pretty obvious it's their excellent IBIS system.

For me I don't need to wait for the A9 - weather sealing EFC and IBIS were what I needed, and 24mp is also just fine. I'm also pleased about the magnesium front plate.

Very excited!
I think I read somewhere that it's a proprietary Sony 5-Axis IBIS (which means that maybe they took the Olympus one and "improved" it further possibly.) I rarely shoot longer than 200mm so I don't know how much good IBIS will do for me personally but it's nicety have as an option.

I chose FF and max IQ over the already excellent Micro 4/3 system last year. I don't really feel I missed many shots because of the shortcomings A7 but I agree that there were clearly room for improvements.

Rawfa

More than the XAVC-S, it offers SLog2 gamma profiles (same as in the A7s). :)
You're right, Vivek. That an awesome bonus.

Also, I've read somewhere this camera has a "multi card slot". Does this mean it will store 2 cards or is it just a single slot that holds different card types? (I'm thinking it's probably the latter)

tn1krr

I think I read somewhere that it's a proprietary Sony 5-Axis IBIS (which means that maybe they took the Olympus one and "improved" it further possibly.) I rarely shoot longer than 200mm so I don't know how much good IBIS will do for me personally but it's nicety have as an option.
One of the japanese interviews said that it is not Olympus IBIS but a completely new Sony-developed system. Those hybrid-modes for stabilized lenses are something new, Olympus does not have these modes I believe?
1. with a stabilized FE lens the work is divided between lens and sensor: lens does pitch and yaw and sensor only does Roll, X and Y.
2. For non-stabilized lenses sensor takes care of everything.

UHDR

is it written somewhere that says IBIS is enabled in video mode? i remember there have been cases (for other cameras) where IBIS is locked out in video mode....

and any mention if the AA filter is still in place?

Rawfa

The specs say something about this camera using a "area specific noise reductions", which divides the image into areas based into patterns to obtain the best possible noise reduction. I'm curious about how much better is this camera is than the original A7 when it comes to high iso...though I wouldn't expect a mind blowing difference as it would start stepping into A7S territory.

tn1krr

The specs say something about this camera using a "area specific noise reductions", which divides the image into areas based into patterns to obtain the best possible noise reduction. I'm curious about how much better is this camera is than the original A7 when it comes to high iso...though I wouldn't expect a mind blowing difference as it would start stepping into A7S territory.
Area-specific noise reduction was already in the A7/A7R jpg engine, I think this is a Bionz X feature. See A7 product link below, are specific NR is listed already in that

Sony Global - Digital Imaging - α7

For ISO I would not expect anything more than current A7. If it was markedly better that would propably show in AF light sensitivity (these are effectively same in both A7 and A7 II) since in low light these are all CDAF cameras.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well, I'm definitely in again on this one - hopefully this time I'll keep it.
The IBIS makes it a perfect candidate for use with R lenses (and of course any other longer lenses). 24mp suits me well.
a definite definite (very exciting).
Jono,

as I know that the loud shutter on the original A7 put you off, I would like to know (from your tests) if the shutter of the A7II is a real improvement and became quiet enough!

Many thanks in advance

Peter

Last edited:

sloppywmu

This looks like the perfect camera to replace my a7, but I'm not sure I want it.

I still don't trust Sony. The a7II has the same processor and most likely the same sensor as the a7. So why haven't they released firmware updates for increased focusing speed, tracking, and XAVC-S (for the original a7). My guess: they don't make money off firmware updates.

The 5-axis image stabilization is enough for me to upgrade. The new grip is nice too, but landscapes on a tripod will most likely look exactly the same.

Basically I shouldn't have to think about it. If Sony showed a little good faith by releasing some of these firmware upgrades for the a7, I would be the first to order the a7II. But for now I'm waffling. I just don't believe they will stand behind their own products.

I'm not even going to get into the new A-mount lenses. PICK A SIDE SONY!

Sorry for the rant.

Cheers,
Sloppy

peterb

Jono,

as I know that the loud shutter on the original A7 put you off, I would like to know (from your tests) if the shuttle of the A7II is a real improvement and became quiet enough!

Many thanks in advance

Peter
Ditto. That's JUST what I was thinking. All nice improvements and tweaks but the shutter was one thing I am hoping Sony really did address.

Godfrey

Well, I'm definitely in again on this one - hopefully this time I'll keep it.
The IBIS makes it a perfect candidate for use with R lenses (and of course any other longer lenses). 24mp suits me well.
a definite definite (very exciting).
Yes. This will do. :)
Whatever the A7's warts, it works very nicely with R lenses. Adding IS completes it.

G

mbroomfield

You're right, Vivek. That an awesome bonus.

Also, I've read somewhere this camera has a "multi card slot". Does this mean it will store 2 cards or is it just a single slot that holds different card types? (I'm thinking it's probably the latter)
Typically they would list "dual slot" rather than multi- and I think it would have been a news leader with the IBIS

Specs for A72
Media
Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, Memory Stick XC-HG Duo, SD memory card, SDHC memory card (UHS-I compliant), SDXC memory card (UHS-I compliant)
Slot
Multi slot for Memory Stick Duo / SD Memory card

Specs for A7 (ie identical)
Media
Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, Memory Stick XC-HG Duo, SD memory card, SDHC memory card (UHS-I compliant), SDXC memory card (UHS-I compliant)
Slot
Multi slot for Memory Stick Duo / SD Memory card

Sony Global - Digital Imaging ? ?7 II

Viramati

Have to agree about the firmware updates as they should really take a leaf out of Fuji's book on how to update a camera just look how the original X100 has been improved over the years long after new models have been released. Of course they don't make money to of the firmware updates but they would certainly build some more brand loyalty if they did.
As to upgrading as yet I'm not convinced. I don't like the increase in size and weight and the ergonomics of the present camera are just fine foe me now that I have got used to them. IBIS would certainly be nice but I've lived without it quite happily up till now. Will wait to see what price it goes for

johnnygoesdigital

Seems that some of these new features should have found their way into the A7r.
However, i've always believed that 24mp is the sweet spot for most of today's lenses. In the past i've advocated the use of native FE lenses, but A mount's like the Zeiss 135mm1.8, 85mm1.4 or the 24mm Distagon are insane good lenses imo. I'm literally adapting to the A7 format and eagerly await more native offerings, but in the meantime, there's a crap load of great optics to choose from!
I like this new version and can't wait to shoot with it.

The new 70-300G is also welcome. The SSM will allow me to use the EA3 with AF!

Annna T

ebay # 181410640930

Really fine quality.

I agree on the sizes and fits.
This is what I get

Unfortunately, access to this particular item has been blocked due to legal restrictions in some countries. We are blocking your viewing in an effort to prevent restricted items from being displayed. Regrettably, in some cases, we may prevent users from accessing items that are not within the scope of said restrictions because of limitations of existing technology. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause, and we hope you may find other items of interest on eBay.

:angry: (with Ebay for resegementing the market after it was opened for a few year; seems vendors want to take more money from some countries and they don't want us to see how much more we have to pay than others).

turtle

I agree on the shutter, but personally feel that this looks like an excellent round of improvements hot not that long after the original camera. The IBIS is a great addition.

I said before and I still believe that Sony is going to make massive ground in the camera market in the next 2-3 years. We've yet to hear about the top end 50 megapixel camera yet....

V

Vivek

:angry: (with Ebay for resegementing the market after it was opened for a few year; seems vendors want to take more money from some countries and they don't want us to see how much more we have to pay than others).
That has everything to do with your country and its laws, I would think.