The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Sony A7II

Annna T

One of the japanese interviews said that it is not Olympus IBIS but a completely new Sony-developed system. Those hybrid-modes for stabilized lenses are something new, Olympus does not have these modes I believe?
1. with a stabilized FE lens the work is divided between lens and sensor: lens does pitch and yaw and sensor only does Roll, X and Y.
2. For non-stabilized lenses sensor takes care of everything.
MMm since Sony has now a big share of Olympus and since the five axis stabilisators have been included by Olympus, they have probably got some know how from Olympus. I doubt the Sony IBIS is entirely designed by them from scratch, even if Olympus declared some weeks ago that they were not sharing camera knowledge with Sony. Of course, Sony will had to adapt the principles to the A7 bodies.

Concerning what you name hybrid stabilisation : on Olympus cameras, you can use IBIS with legacy glass and then set the focal length manually (even while filming now). You can also mount stabilized Panasonic glass with OIS, even if the lens doesn't have a physical switch to power on the mecanism. You do it from the menu (where I think that you can choose between the two systems).

mbroomfield

This is what I get

Unfortunately, access to this particular item has been blocked due to legal restrictions in some countries. We are blocking your viewing in an effort to prevent restricted items from being displayed. Regrettably, in some cases, we may prevent users from accessing items that are not within the scope of said restrictions because of limitations of existing technology. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause, and we hope you may find other items of interest on eBay.

:angry: (with Ebay for resegementing the market after it was opened for a few year; seems vendors want to take more money from some countries and they don't want us to see how much more we have to pay than others).
I'm not getting that in the US .. what country are you in?
Also, try a search for LB-A7 in ebay or in Amazon (or just Google). I found alternative sellers in both (for slightly higher price but still much less than RRS)

Edit, I found both higher AND lower prices in ebay ...

Annna T

That has everything to do with your country and its laws, I would think.
No, it has nothing to do with my country. It has to do with a decision of Ebay who now prevents you from seeing all the items available worldwide. When a vendor isn't willing to ship in your country, they just prevent you access to that item. Which is a pity because even if you can't get the item, Ebay is a great ressource to know about some older items and the price they are selling at. It is also a great ressource to know the prices of things all over the world.

I don't really understand how it works, because sometimes I can see and items which are only shipping to the US, but sometimes not. What is clear is that I'm getting that same warning and blank page more and more often.

We live in a very liberal country, there is no laws which would prevent me from looking at what is selling over Ebay, the decision lies completely with Ebay and may be also corporation pressure.

V

Vivek

When a vendor isn't willing to ship in your country, they just prevent you access to that item.
Then there is no point in looking at it, is there? If the seller won't ship then what is the point?

Annna T

I'm not getting that in the US .. what country are you in?
Also, try a search for LB-A7 in ebay or in Amazon (or just Google). I found alternative sellers in both (for slightly higher price but still much less than RRS)

Edit, I found both higher AND lower prices in ebay ...
I'm no in the US. Almost everyone sell to the US .. I think the LB-A7 is the grip, but we are speaking of L plate here. A cheap L plate cositing 15$

douglaspboyd

Finally a mirrorless replacement for my A900!

Also good news for those looking to buy A7/s/r used on eBay.

Bad news for the tripod industry.

==Doug

bradhusick

Fuji just announced a huge new firmware upgrade for the X-T1. Rather than making us all buy new cameras, Fuji keeps adding value to the one we bought. Bravo Fuji!

jonoslack

Jono,

as I know that the loud shutter on the original A7 put you off, I would like to know (from your tests) if the shuttle of the A7II is a real improvement and became quiet enough!

Many thanks in advance

Peter
Hi There Peter
It was really the shutter noise of the A7r which put me off - of course I would have liked the A7 to be quieter, but it's possible to live with, because of the Electronic First Curtain.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Fuji just announced a huge new firmware upgrade for the X-T1. Rather than making us all buy new cameras, Fuji keeps adding value to the one we bought. Bravo Fuji!
A firmware update won't move a badly placed shutter button. Of course, Sony could have put it in a reasonable place the first time.:rolleyes:

Matt

Michiel Schierbeek

Then there is no point in looking at it, is there? If the seller won't ship then what is the point?
It is good to be able to see items around the world because there are always ways to work around it, per example have it send to a local friend etc.
Of course you can always check ebay per country but it is tiresome.

A new annoying thing is with ordering from the US that they automaticly add custom costs with the item instead to let coincidence play its role.
And then a lot of sellers refuse to send it to another adress as your own.

I am not really a fan of people/company's thinking for you, I prefer to do it myself :scry:

rules, rules, rules........ sickening

doug

The IBIS makes it a perfect candidate for use with R lenses (and of course any other longer lenses). 24mp suits me well.
+1!!! Debating between this and rebuilding the backup R8. The a7II looks really really good to me.

or put it this way - rather then do a proper design Fuji makes dudes that requires 2-3 years to reach the workable state... :ROTFL:

Arne Hvaring

A most welcome update. But I haven't seen any mention of the RAW format of the new camera. Does it still have the dubious lossy 12 bit version of the first generation, or has Sony listened to their customers and finally given us a real lossless 14 bit RAW output?
Another unaswered question is if the A7-II has kept the electronic first curtain shutter of the A7.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
This is sounding like I can fully commit to the FE mount cams. I'm thinking of going for it. Anyone see pricing and time frame for release in US.

sloppywmu

Arne, the official specs list is on sony.net:

Sony Global - Digital Imaging ? ?7 II

RAW format shows Sony ARW 2.3 format, which is the same as the a7:

ILCE-7 : ILCE-7 : Interchangeable Lens Camera : Sony Asia Pacific.

We will have to see if Sony introduces truly uncompressed RAW image recording. But I'm not holding my breath. Then again I can only see compression artifacts in a couple of my images.

PS: Sony has always said 14 bit RAW recording. This is simply untrue. They might as well list the number of photons that the sensor could possibly capture in a vacuum. In the end the RAW files that are decoded in your PC software are compressed heavily.

http://diglloyd.com/blog/2014/20140214_1-SonyA7-artifacts-star-trails.html

It's the ultimate in pixel peeping but its there.

Arne Hvaring

Arne, the official specs list is on sony.net:

Sony Global - Digital Imaging ? ?7 II

RAW format shows Sony ARW 2.3 format, which is the same as the a7:

ILCE-7 : ILCE-7 : Interchangeable Lens Camera : Sony Asia Pacific.

We will have to see if Sony introduces truly uncompressed RAW image recording. But I'm not holding my breath. Then again I can only see compression artifacts in a couple of my images.

PS: Sony has always said 14 bit RAW recording. This is simply untrue. They might as well list the number of photons that the sensor could possibly capture in a vacuum. In the end the RAW files that are decoded in your PC software are compressed heavily.

diglloyd: Sony

It's the ultimate in pixel peeping but its there.
Yes, Lloyd Chambers shows this very well. A pity Sony didn't take the opportunity to change the RAW recording. I have seen the negative effects in just a few images. I think RAW should be as unaltered and uncompressed as possible. I like to return to older files for re-development as software improves.