Site Sponsors
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sony A7II

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Sony A7II

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    I'm not worried about the weight increase either because it is still less than a Leica M and includes IBIS, EVF and a good grip. I think 600g is a good place to stay though. I hope the A9 is not a lot heavier.

As for lighter options, well, I have no intention of selling my A7 and A7R... they're still amazing cameras.
    Yeah, a '3 Mars bars' additional penalty for IBIS and a better grip is no problem. ;-)

That said, I do wish they'd have added a bit more battery capacity. The A7 is the only camera in recent years I've felt it necessary to have four batteries for, and often used them all in a long day's shoot. Most of my cameras I have two or three batteries for and have only very rarely used up even one in a day's shooting.

G

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    The A7 is the only camera in recent years I've felt it necessary to have four batteries for, and often used them all in a long day's shoot.
    At least the batteries are small and cheap.

For less than the price of one battery for the Leica M I formerly shot with, I got ten batteries and five chargers* for the Sony. (I carry five with me, for two bodies, and leave the other five at home in the chargers, so I always have five fresh ones.)

*Wasabi Power brand.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Kidding aside, A7 II sounds awesome, but for me, Mk II might be one repeat visit too soon to Sony's smorgasbord. Besides, there's rumors about an amazing dessert cart on the way in the form of a new RX-series camera or A9, and it's always wise to leave some room for dessert.

In a way, I sort of miss the Leica way of doing things: Their buffet is smaller, and the service is more leisurely, so there's little danger in over-eating, and you're always grateful when something new arrives.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    I only have one comment to make. Why did they keep the AA filter? A real mistake, imho and a reason why I won't be upgrading any time soon.

LouisB
    Funny, I have the exact opposite opinion after today's shoot of 80 different sports apparel items on models. The moire, ahhhhhh, the moire!!!

Believe me there was gobs of detail and sharpy edges - no need for the AA filter to go away, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4season View Post
    Kidding aside, A7 II sounds awesome, but for me, Mk II might be one repeat visit too soon to Sony's smorgasbord. Besides, there's rumors about an amazing dessert cart on the way in the form of a new RX-series camera or A9, and it's always wise to leave some room for dessert.

In a way, I sort of miss the Leica way of doing things: Their buffet is smaller, and the service is more leisurely, so there's little danger in over-eating, and you're always grateful when something new arrives.
    Well I'm not sure about over eating but it is certainly one of the most expensive restaurants I've ever eaten at with small but lovely portions.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maybe I'm the only one on the planet but I actually like the small batteries. I carry 4 with with one in camera for a total of 5 and I never seem to run out actually I never been past 3 even on a big shoot. I like them small as I can always throw one extra in a pocket and go and when carry the 4 extra I put them in a small pouch and throw them in the camera bag pocket. Batteries at least for me have never been my issues with the A7 series.

Now been looking at the new grip and I would almost buy the camera just for that, for my hands I can tell already it would be a perfect fit indeed and i do like the shutter in front of the body and not on top. My biggest question to be answered is the 30 percent AF algorithm they are talking about enough for my PR needs and more important focus tracking thats what I really need, IBIS is nice and be happy to have it but not buying it for that. I hated these things on Canon and Nikon IS and VR settings as a lot of times I thought it made images less sharp over without it. Lets just say I have never been sold on it. First off Im a rock when it comes to handholding, I know exception to the rule but turning this stuff off when going to a tripod is a hassle. Maybe not exactly what I need but I like the direction Sony is taking. More important they listened to users, people wanted IBIS and better shutter and better fit for the hand. They got it now.

This won't be out until after a big shoot in January so I may just pass on it until I see the A9. This should float a lot of users boats though and if not for very specific needs I would jump on it. For current A7 users i think this is a nice upgrade in functionality.

As a working Pro I am giving Sony extremely high credit for the advanced specs on it as it lets me know how to make better buying decisions. I think we can all appreciate knowing whats coming in advance of hitting the streets. I know we would all love a year ahead road map but Ill take a couple months notice any day of the week. It makes my planning better and being stuck with the A and FE mount cameras I can certainly plan my purchases better without making a mistake.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Maybe I'm the only one on the planet but I actually like the small batteries. I carry 4 with with one in camera for a total of 5 and I never seem to run out actually I never been past 3 even on a big shoot. I like them small as I can always throw one extra in a pocket and go and when carry the 4 extra I put them in a small pouch and throw them in the camera bag pocket. Batteries at least for me have never been my issues with the A7 series.

Now been looking at the new grip and I would almost buy the camera just for that, for my hands I can tell already it would be a perfect fit indeed and i do like the shutter in front of the body and not on top. My biggest question to be answered is the 30 percent AF algorithm they are talking about enough for my PR needs and more important focus tracking thats what I really need, IBIS is nice and be happy to have it but not buying it for that. I hated these things on Canon and Nikon IS and VR settings as a lot of times I thought it made images less sharp over without it. Lets just say I have never been sold on it. First off Im a rock when it comes to handholding, I know exception to the rule but turning this stuff off when going to a tripod is a hassle. Maybe not exactly what I need but I like the direction Sony is taking. More important they listened to users, people wanted IBIS and better shutter and better fit for the hand. They got it now.

This won't be out until after a big shoot in January so I may just pass on it until I see the A9. This should float a lot of users boats though and if not for very specific needs I would jump on it. For current A7 users i think this is a nice upgrade in functionality.

As a working Pro I am giving Sony extremely high credit for the advanced specs on it as it lets me know how to make better buying decisions. I think we can all appreciate knowing whats coming in advance of hitting the streets. I know we would all love a year ahead road map but Ill take a couple months notice any day of the week. It makes my planning better and being stuck with the A and FE mount cameras I can certainly plan my purchases better without making a mistake.
    You're not the only one that likes that they are sticking with a battery. I bought 6 of them last year on sale during Black Friday/Cyber Monday at about $15 a pop on Amazon. Sure I would like longer life but I like that I don't have to mx and match batteries and chargers now between previously running a Leica and Sony system. These are the same batteries they used in the APS-C line so I already had four battery hanging around from my NEX-5 so it's really convenient for me. I usually average about 2-300 shots per battery but I also am selective in my shots. It's usually not a huge issue provided I leave the camera in airplane mode.

I will probably pass on the A7mk2 though because I'm waiting on the rumored A9 (unless the rumored A9 gets delayed further than expected.) I actually just paid LifePixel a few hours ago to convert my A7R into a Full Spectrum camera.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I never really got the idea of battery life on mirrorless cameras as being a problem. It's quicker and easier to swap out a battery after 300 shots than to rewind and load a roll of 35mm film after 36! These digital photography youngsters don't know they're born!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Full spectrum sounds like fun. Im actually tempted to just go buy the A6000 for a trip. I loved that little thing. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post
    I never really got the idea of battery life on mirrorless cameras as being a problem. It's quicker and easier to swap out a battery after 300 shots than to rewind and load a roll of 35mm film after 36! These digital photography youngsters don't know they're born!
    RIGHT ON Brother. LOL

I should really test there abilities and throw 6 Hassy backs and 6 rolls of 120 film at them and give them 2 minutes to load them. You learn quick when your renting helicopters at 700 per hour. LOL

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Full spectrum sounds like fun. Im actually tempted to just go buy the A6000 for a trip. I loved that little thing. LOL
    Yeah I thought about buying one last week while they were on sale for $1-200 off but I rather just sit tight and continue waiting for whatever Sony comes with. At the very least I know I can get the A7mk2 and hopefully the rumored A9 will be as great as we hope.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL! I'm hardly a youngster, been doing photography since 1968. ;-)

What's a pain in the butt isn't changing batteries in the field, but the maintenance: keeping track of and recharging all of them.

Changing a roll of film in the field is just as little a PITA, but there's no maintenance involved. You load, shoot, remove and dump the roll into the "time to process" bag; done.

Of course, in the greater scheme of things, it's just a minor issue. I only rarely shoot more than a 36 shot roll on a single outing, and I've been known to take two months to finish a roll of 12 going through the Hasselblad... When I was using them for assignments, I always had four backs loaded. ;-)

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What's a pain in the butt isn't changing batteries in the field, but the maintenance: keeping track of and recharging all of them.G
    Wait a minute... You can recharge 'em?
    So that's what RTFM stands for!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

keeping track is a PIA.

i ended up putting numbers on each battery so i can try and keep track of what one i just charged

but i have over 5 different cameras.

in my shop, same problem with cordless drills, for example, i have multiple batteries and chargers for several brands, must be over 30 different batteries. the head spins

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I number my batteries as well. What I am supposed to do is go 1-5 than reverse that order to get even usage. Thats what I am supposed to do. I never listen to anyone including myself. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

What's a pain in the butt isn't changing batteries in the field, but the maintenance: keeping track of and recharging all of them.
    Watson Duo charger has got to be one of my best photo buys in years:

Watson Duo LCD Charger with 2 NP-FW50 Battery Plates D-4228 B&H

Adapter plates for different batteries are $1.99/ea! When was the last time you bought anything from B&H for under two bucks? So far I've found plates for every small camera battery that I've encountered, though I had to use Panasonic battery numbers to get a match for my Ricoh GR.

Post Thanks / Like

See if you can get a deal on one. You won't be sorry. I love my a6000, and IMHO it's the best small camera ever. It allowed me to sell my RX! My street photography setup is the a6000, E20mm/2.8 + remote. Very small and unobtrusive, it looks more like cheap P&S than a 24mpx APSC!

Be forewarned, though, you will be spoiled by the AF. It's a big step up from the a7/r.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wait a minute... You can recharge 'em?
    So that's what RTFM stands for!
    There is a FM to read?

Post Thanks / Like

re: batteries. Sony can't win.

Keeping it the same, complaints are the capacity is lacking.

Making it bigger, and the complaints are "OMG, it's bigger!" and "OMG, Sony is cashing in by forcing us to buy a whole new set of batteries and chargers!".
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    re: batteries. Sony can't win.

Keeping it the same, complaints are the capacity is lacking.

Making it bigger, and the complaints are "OMG, it's bigger!" and "OMG, Sony is cashing in by forcing us to buy a whole new set of batteries and chargers!".
    My thoughts exactly. I actually wouldn't mind if they were higher capacity on the top of the line model but no need to do a battery redesign on the refresh - if anything it's a selling feature for previous owners who may upgrade.

The more I've gotten use to the A7 I can legitimately say it's as small as I'd want already for a camera body and I wouldn't mind a more solid heft to it. I love the flexibility of being able to mount any lens and yes it beats the Pelican case I'd need if I were on a photo trip going around the world with my old Canon. That being said if size AND the ability to use longer lenses were my main concerns I'd buy aMicro 4/3 and not look back. They have the BEST mirrorless system and a great stable of lenses from ultra wide to telephoto (14-600mm equivalents.)

Post Thanks / Like

I number my batteries as well. What I am supposed to do is go 1-5 than reverse that order to get even usage.....
    I can only do it 1-5: trying to remember if I am currently going forward or reverse is too much for my brain.
    Phil
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re batteries, what would be smart is to design the camera for the higher capacity NP-FM500H from the older DSLR's (and I think A99/77), but then also make an adapter that converts the NP-FW50 into the form factor of the larger battery. Best of both worlds.
    My Pics

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In a corner of my living room, there's a stack of relatively large storage boxes that I bought at IKEA. One for batteries, one for charges, one for charger cables, one for converters to different country standards, one for memory cards etc. With the OM-1, I changed the battery 3 or 4 times during the 30 years I used it and there was a stack of Velvia or Kodachrome in the fridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7qQ6_RV4VQ

That Watson duo charger seems like a god idea, if I can remember to take the right insert with me. Numbering the batteries? No, I don't think my brain can handle that

Post Thanks / Like

i think there is still room to optimise the battery in the current size. the current official sony F50 holds 1080mAh. but i have seen third party that offers way more (some obviously over claimed the peak performance). Comparing to batteries in phones. i think they can easily double the capacity. DTSE offers a 1950 mAh. Duracell also offers some higher capacity ones. i have the DTSE, while i cant claim it has double the battery life, i can safely say it last longer than the original sony.
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm

Post Thanks / Like

The battery I received with my NEX 7 in 2012 was 1080mAh but the batteries that came with the A7S were 1020mAh. I don't mind the small batteries. I would like it if the same battery could be used in the Sony flashes.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the specs and revised ergonomics of the A7II personally (to the extent we can know them), and the IBIS is really a welcome addition, but the non-silent shutter is a no-go for me, after the X100s. I know they are completely different cameras, but the leaf shutter, ND filter on a button, and fill flash for street images (at ƒ2 or 2.8) and silent shutter for when I simply have to have that (shooting on silent retreats, for example) has really spoiled me. I know Sony makes an A7s, but I just can't see the additional cost value.

I will wait to see what the A9 looks like, or for a later iteration of the A7 that has a silent shutter. Until I got the X100s, I had no idea of how important that would be to me in daily use.
    Kit Laughlin, www.StretchTherapy.net/, www.KitLaughlin.com/bodypress/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I number my batteries as well. What I am supposed to do is go 1-5 than reverse that order to get even usage. Thats what I am supposed to do. I never listen to anyone including myself. LOL
    Same here. I got 5 batteries for 2 E Mount bodies and batteries are numbered 1-5 so that I could user them sequentially. In real world I've noticed that I just pick closest/easiest to access battery that has number smaller than 6.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    I like the specs and revised ergonomics of the A7II personally (to the extent we can know them), and the IBIS is really a welcome addition, but the non-silent shutter is a no-go for me,
    Truth to tell I more or less assumed after the negative feedback on shutter noise that Sony had addressed this with the A7s and that going forward they would apply at least some sort of quieter shutter option to all new models. If this is not the case I'll be truly dismayed. Does anyone know if the Mk. ii shutter is any quieter than the Mk. i?

Post Thanks / Like

Something I thought was cool, was when Sony had camcorder batteries, there was a 2 position switch which displayed either white or red. I used red to mean exhausted and white was fresh. It was small, easy to use, and quite clever. Would be nice if they could do that again.

Joel

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4season View Post
    Watson Duo charger has got to be one of my best photo buys in years:

Watson Duo LCD Charger with 2 NP-FW50 Battery Plates D-4228 B&H

Adapter plates for different batteries are $1.99/ea! When was the last time you bought anything from B&H for under two bucks? So far I've found plates for every small camera battery that I've encountered, though I had to use Panasonic battery numbers to get a match for my Ricoh GR.
    You are right. A great dual charger that handles every battery I own from MF to RX1 except for Leica, that I know of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JoelM View Post
    Something I thought was cool, was when Sony had camcorder batteries, there was a 2 position switch which displayed either white or red. I used red to mean exhausted and white was fresh. It was small, easy to use, and quite clever. Would be nice if they could do that again.

Joel
    Joel, that would certainly help. I must have seven or eight Sony batteries, since we've been going with them since the NEX-5, NEX-7, and now two A bodies. My problem with numbering them is I can never READ them in the dark when I need to change 'em! I just reach into my bag, and whatever comes out goes in...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If I was a A7 shooter I would be replacing my current A7. I have no doubts about about it. I just need to decide after this hits the streets and Im done a big gig if this would replace my A77II. When the A7r replacement comes I will be all over that one too. The grip alone has me at the get go.

Post Thanks / Like

A7 battery problem solved with built-in solar panels!

Ricoh XR-S

You'll need really bright sun to power an A7, but that's a technicality.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If I was a A7 shooter I would be replacing my current A7. I have no doubts about about it. I just need to decide after this hits the streets and Im done a big gig if this would replace my A77II. When the A7r replacement comes I will be all over that one too. The grip alone has me at the get go.
    If I were an A7 shooter and upgrading, I would sell my A7 right away. The A7 II is a great upgrade, with regards to ergonomics as well as the IBIS. The price of the original camera will drop like a stone once the new model hits the market.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    If I were an A7 shooter and upgrading, I would sell my A7 right away. The A7 II is a great upgrade, with regards to ergonomics as well as the IBIS. The price of the original camera will drop like a stone once the new model hits the market.
    At least over here this has already happened. A7 II will retail about 1800 Eur and slightly used A7 can be bought for 750-850 Eur. A sizeable pile of A7 bodies hit used market within hours when specs of A77 II came out.

Post Thanks / Like

I might add a 7 II in future (or more likely the 9) but feel 3 bodies is the optimum (wide, medium an tele), so won't be selling my A7 or A7R for now. The IBIS would be handy nfor my aerial work, but like others, will probably await a higher end model with improved AF and overall package. If I were buying in now, or looking for a second body, I'd be stoked and all over that A7 II.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not seen many A7 bodies for sale over at Fred's or here yet—but I think Jorgen's right: the process will drop quickly once the A7IIs are reviewed (and when the new model's shutter sound is known!).

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be waiting for the a7sII (assuming it has IBIS, great high iso capabilities and the silent shutter)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    I'll be waiting for the a7sII (assuming it has IBIS, great high iso capabilities and the silent shutter)
    Me too and hopefully it has a 16-24 megapixel sensor.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tn1krr View Post
    At least over here this has already happened. A7 II will retail about 1800 Eur and slightly used A7 can be bought for 750-850 Eur. A sizeable pile of A7 bodies hit used market within hours when specs of A77 II came out.
    Given that it (A7) has been available from Asia for <1000 Euros for several months now, the used market prices are not that great for a buyer. I think it will come down further. A stellar camera, no doubt.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Given that it (A7) has been available from Asia for <1000 Euros for several months now, the used market prices are not that great for a buyer. I think it will come down further. A stellar camera, no doubt.
    Maybe they'll do a trade in promo for previous owners who want to upgrade. It seems a bit backwards that this isn't being shipped in time for the largest consumer timeframe in the Western World.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would like an A7 II R monochrome. No aa filter, no color filter (and no color cast problems with wide angle symmetrical designs like the hologon ) and a lot of megapixels with image stabilization.

Ultimate sensibility, resolution,portability and versatility.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Estimated arrival in US is now Dec 9th and pre-orders are now being taken by Sony. Amazon and B&H . Thanks to Mark Esposito for the heads up. I ordered it at Amazon. Now need to decide if it can do my runway gig in January.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Just was about to post this after I got an email from B&H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I rented the ZA 70-200 2.8 this morning at lensrentals for my show. Folks the promo code right now is blackfriday and you get 25 percent off rentals. I also rented the 16-35 next week for 7 days at a final cost of 80 dollars. Great way to test a lens before spending real money.

I would rent the 70-200 2.8 anyway as it is faster so in this case I would use my Sony 4 adapter.

I'm very tempted to go through on the A7II as I think it can track fast enough

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

It's possible. I had the 70-200/2.8 mk I. It's a great lens and I hear the newer one is even better. It's one of a few lenses I regret selling. The FE version is competent (probably better for what I'd need) when I tried it in store but it's nowhere as good optically as the A-mount versions.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

from Guy:
    "I'm very tempted to go through on the A7II as I think it can track fast enough"

my version:
    "I'm not very tempted to go through on the A7II as I can't think fast enough (to keep up with Sony)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great one John. My personal issue and it's really not a shooting issue is having the 2 mounts. I don't mind the lenses until Sony gets up to speed on the FE but two different bodies is bugging me and some of the limits on lenses like I cant really use my Sigma 18-35 on the A7r

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Great one John. My personal issue and it's really not a shooting issue is having the 2 mounts. I don't mind the lenses until Sony gets up to speed on the FE but two different bodies is bugging me and some of the limits on lenses like I cant really use my Sigma 18-35 on the A7r
    Yeah I was a bit surprised that the Sigma 18-35/1.8 wasn't a FF lens when Sigma announced it. Seems like an amazing lens already with few negatives outside the fact it doesn't provide FF coverage.