Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sony A7II

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: The Sony A7II

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Because it is newly announced?
    Because I would like to have a full frame camera, preferably with IBIS and peaking, to use with my manual focus Nikkor, Zuiko and Zeiss lenses
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For my way of shooting, IBIS of no use. Before I get one of these, I will check if it can be turned off. Aside that, the (mechanical) construction appears to be the best of the A7 series so far. That alone is good enough for me, given how wonderful the files are from this (A7) sensor. 6 months and there will be a flood of them at a fair price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For my way of shooting, IBIS of no use. Before I get one of these, I will check if it can be turned off. Aside that, the (mechanical) construction appears to be the best of the A7 series so far. That alone is good enough for me, given how wonderful the files are from this (A7) sensor. 6 months and there will be a flood of them at a fair price.
    What makes the most sense is to wait a couple of months and buy the old model for $7-800. The II model will probably be available for a similar price once Sony has launched the A9, the A7R II, the A7 III or whatever will be Sony's next great idea.

There a "like new" Sony Walkman Professional WM-D6C fo rsale at The Great Big Auction Site for around $1,100. The WM-D6C was on the market from 1984-2002, that's 18 years. Today, it's as obsolete as a Nikon F3, maybe even more so. I take it for granted that the A7 II won't be in production in 2032. Will anybody pay a thousand dollars for a mint copy in 2044? I have a feeling the Walkman would be a better investment. Maybe I should buy one
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 28th November 2014 at 04:27.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

By 2044, I may not be alive to see this prediction/speculation. Life is short and precious. Make use of it while you have most of your faculties active- that is my motto.
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    You can set the E-M1 to 3:2 mode, can't you?
    Yes, but that doesn't affect the RAW files. I don't have a problem with what I see in the viewfinder. (I'd rather see what I'm going to get)

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Yes, but that doesn't affect the RAW files. I don't have a problem with what I see in the viewfinder. (I'd rather see what I'm going to get)
    How silly! With the Panasonic cameras, the RAW files come out with whatever aspect ratio I specify. I use 16:9 a lot with the GH2, since it has the oversized sensor.

Then I have a question regarding the A7/II:
    When shooting in crop mode, will the RAW files be crop files? I assumed this was obvious, but apparently, it isn't.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How silly! With the Panasonic cameras, the RAW files come out with whatever aspect ratio I specify. I use 16:9 a lot with the GH2, since it has the oversized sensor.

It is a video camera. I have that camera and have seen the sensor upclose, it still is tiny no matter how you slice it.

When shooting in crop mode, will the RAW files be crop files? I assumed this was obvious, but apparently, it isn't.
    Yeah, crop file. Still much larger real estate than the micro 43 sensor.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Because I would like to have a full frame camera, preferably with IBIS and peaking, to use with my manual focus Nikkor, Zuiko and Zeiss lenses
    Buy one and if you're objective about it you will quickly see the shortcomings of Micro 4/3 as is relates to IQ. There really isn't a better body out there for adapting lenses to. I think you were caught up in Sony's long term strategy but it's a non-issue for the lens adaption types.

The A7 series is really not in the same league as the Panasonic bodies - especially since we are speaking of the early generation NMOS cameras you own. Believe me I still own my original G1 and prefer Panasonic bodies to Olympus ones (besides the two high end OM-D's.)
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sony's FE lens road map still does't include a fast prime short tele. Actually, there's only one "fast" prime FE lens as in the 55 1.8. Not including AF, the loxia is still in that given focal range that Sony already has...that's why I'm switching...a FF mirror-less was a great idea for those who want to adapt their existing lens line up,but for those who like the newer native lens mount, not so much. If they want to keep customers they should have have a better FE prime lens line up...at least for those where the utmost in resolution is imperative.
    Last edited by johnnygoesdigital; 28th November 2014 at 05:41.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    Sony's FE lens road map still does't include a fast prime short tele. Actually, there's only one "fast" prime FE lens as in the 55 1.8. Not including AF, the loxia is still in that given focal range that Sony already has...that's why I'm switching...a FF mirror-less was a great idea for those who want to adapt their existing lens line up,but for those who like the newer native lens mount...Sony sucks.
    Do they suck or did you make a premature impulsive decision on a system building a new line of lenses? We are talking about a year old FF system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Do they suck or did you make a premature impulsive decision on a system building a new line of lenses? We are talking about a year old FF system.
    I think that their decisions aren't very coherent :

1) They have designed the smallest and lightest FF camera, but
    2) They have chosen to fullfill the zoom coverage first with lenses (24-70mm, 70-200mm, 16-35mm) that are quite big, while
    3) There are still no full coverage of light primes (35mm and 55mm only) which is what would best complement a light body. We need a 24mm or 28mm and a 90mm before bigger zooms
    4) The fact that Zeiss chose to issue a 35mm and a 50mm doesn't help either.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They suck money off transients who complain before buying and after selling. They are peerless at the moment when it comes to innovative products and there is no stopping now.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post

2) They have chosen to fullfill the zoom coverage first with lenses (24-70mm, 70-200mm, 16-35mm) that are quite big, while
    3) There are still no full coverage of light primes (35mm and 55mm only) which is what would best complement a light body. We need a 24mm or 28mm and a 90mm before bigger zooms
    5) After the release of the three stabilised zooms they decided to go for in-body stabilisation.
    Ario
    www.arioarioldi.net
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes I do this a lot by shooting in crop mode. The raws on the A7r for instance my raw files are 16 mgs. For me I need a 300mm do do a certain job. I slap the 70-200 into crop mode. Sure its a reduced file but even so on those gigs this is plenty of file. Yesterday I shot the 24TSe for some group shots than on closer shots I just slapped it in crop mode for 33mm size. In this case it's all I really need. The beauty of having a 24 and /or 36 mpx cameras is you can cheat like this sometimes. I use it to my advantage when needed. Its saves me a ton of time in post.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

You just made my point by mentioning the fact the system is already a year old and their releasing new camera models instead of a pro lens line up. After the 16-35 was finally released it was too big and not stellar in any sense. Functional? Yes, but most pros want prime lenses, it's simple really. There's nothing impulsive about waiting for the A7 system to mature, but the FE lens roadmap still doesn't include a fast prime for maybe another year! As a comparison the Fujifilm XT1 just released a firmware upgrade that increases the shutter to 1/32,000! No new camera needed and the XF lenses are insanely good and comparable, if not better than FE current offerings.The just announced XF 90mm f/2, among others, in addition to the already released 56mm 1.2, which is one of the best short tele's ever! Regardless of sensor size, I usually only print up to 20x30, and the DOF difference is not an issue for me. Perhaps a little "peer" pressure is exactly what Sony needs.
    Premature? Not soon enough!
    Last edited by johnnygoesdigital; 28th November 2014 at 07:04.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Johnny the ZA glass is awesome on the A7 series. I have the 50 and 85 and they work great along with the 135 but yes your right, I'm just buying time and I'm okay with that for now
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy,
    You're right about the ZA's but when I used the 24 distagon, it used considerably more battery when using SSM lenses, even in airplane mode. The A7r is insanely good at landscape, but they choose to not have an EFC or a decent wide angle prime FE. That camera needs to be on a tripod for telephoto focal lengths because of the shutter vibration, but yet there are no fast primes to take advantage of that sensor in anything over/under 55mm. When yet another camera model is released by Sony (A9), the lens road map prevents me from continuing with Sony.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I honestly think there roadmap will be updated when they announce the A9. They are watching these kinds of comments as we see the upgrades in the A7II came directly from users. They would be pretty stupid not to be watching our comments. But these are things we should talk about as it brings it up and brings it to the top of the surface. I seriously wish I had Sony's ear like I did with Leica.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Jono,

That depends on what software you're using. Aperture does not honor the framing information in the .ORF files. Lightroom does, and you can change it with the crop tool as well.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

The FE mount is going down a storm. Sony is a business and wants to make money. Sony will therefore continue to invest in the FE system because it will make them money.

IMHO the FE and E mounts are the future for Sony and progress will be swift. That said, I too wish they would get a move on with the wide primes able to make the A7R sing. Still, with the metabones all my Canon L lenses are working nicely.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anna: isn't it better to have a small body on a big zoom than a bigger body?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Jono,

That depends on what software you're using. Aperture does not honor the framing information in the .ORF files. Lightroom does, and you can change it with the crop tool as well.

G
    HI There Godfrey
    I was going by what it said in the camera (not what happens in Aperture).

That certainly seems most sensible.

thanks for the clarification
    All the best
    Jon

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    The FE mount is going down a storm. Sony is a business and wants to make money. Sony will therefore continue to invest in the FE system because it will make them money.

IMHO the FE and E mounts are the future for Sony and progress will be swift. That said, I too wish they would get a move on with the wide primes able to make the A7R sing. Still, with the metabones all my Canon L lenses are working nicely.
    This is pretty much the only system that has hundreds of lenses you can use on it. I'm taking full advantage of the 17 and 24 canon TSE glass because I can and Canon does not have a 36mpx sensor. It's a win win for me. I think people keep forgetting the huge advantage of 3rd party lenses. I use the ZA glass for the AF stuff until the system is packed than I'll switch them out.im not really lacking for anything as whatever I use I will get by.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    It is even better to have a light lens on a light body !

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

HI There Godfrey
    I was going by what it said in the camera (not what happens in Aperture).
    That certainly seems most sensible.
    I misspoke: The latest version of Aperture does honor the format chosen even with raw captures. I don't see the ability to change it after the fact, as LR can, but then I'm not all that familiar with the cropping tools in Aperture.

Not sure what you mean by "going by what it said in the camera" ... Are you talking about the pixel values in the image format/sizing selection view? With JPEG they're correct and important, but with raw captures you will record maximum resolution modified per the proportions as you see them in the viewfinder.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    Up to a point. If you're hand-holding the camera, a larger, heavier body with a large zoom can help balance the assembly better. For instance, with the E-M1 I often add the HLD-7 battery grip when I'm using the FT 50-200 lens and walking about with the rig because it is much more balanced that way.

Some folks I know add the battery grip to the A7/r/s for the same reason. It also seems to reduce the shutter induced vibration.

G
    -- added: example of E-M1 formats in raw:
    Last edited by Godfrey; 28th November 2014 at 12:58.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I misspoke: The latest version of Aperture does honor the format chosen even with raw captures. I don't see the ability to change it after the fact, as LR can, but then I'm not all that familiar with the cropping tools in Aperture.

Not sure what you mean by "going by what it said in the camera" ... Are you talking about the pixel values in the image format/sizing selection view? With JPEG they're correct and important, but with raw captures you will record maximum resolution modified per the proportions as you see them in the viewfinder.

G
    HI Godfrey - having tested it I've found the same - the 3:2 crop is honoured by Aperture giving a 14.2mp file.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

oops - price hoik in the UK
    I notice that WEX is now advertising the A7ii at 1599 body only - whereas it was 1299 when I placed my order . . . interesting to see what happens when it arrives!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

oops - price hoik in the UK
    I notice that WEX is now advertising the A7ii at 1599 body only - whereas it was 1299 when I placed my order . . . interesting to see what happens when it arrives!
    Well it's 1299.99 on the LCE website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have mine at Amazon but they removed the link now.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Up to a point. If you're hand-holding the camera, a larger, heavier body with a large zoom can help balance the assembly better. For instance, with the E-M1 I often add the HLD-7 battery grip when I'm using the FT 50-200 lens and walking about with the rig because it is much more balanced that way.

Some folks I know add the battery grip to the A7/r/s for the same reason. It also seems to reduce the shutter induced vibration.

G
    Yes I really like the battery grip on my A7r with bigger lenses especially with my two Contax N zooms. Balances much better.

Post Thanks / Like

You just made my point by mentioning the fact the system is already a year old and their releasing new camera models instead of a pro lens line up. After the 16-35 was finally released it was too big and not stellar in any sense. Functional? Yes, but most pros want prime lenses, it's simple really. There's nothing impulsive about waiting for the A7 system to mature, but the FE lens roadmap still doesn't include a fast prime for maybe another year! As a comparison the Fujifilm XT1 just released a firmware upgrade that increases the shutter to 1/32,000! No new camera needed and the XF lenses are insanely good and comparable, if not better than FE current offerings.The just announced XF 90mm f/2, among others, in addition to the already released 56mm 1.2, which is one of the best short tele's ever! Regardless of sensor size, I usually only print up to 20x30, and the DOF difference is not an issue for me. Perhaps a little "peer" pressure is exactly what Sony needs.
    The FE16-35 not stellar and too big? You mean, besides being the top rated (per DXO) zoom in it's class, and the smallest as well? I have no idea where you get your info from.

Lenses are not a simple or fast thing to design. You can't simply draw up a design and then bang them out on an assembly line. This is an entirely new lens mount and has been available for a year.

Sony (or any maker) doesn't design products as a favor for their intended customer base. They do it to make money. How reasonable is it for them to expend tons of R&D on a lens that will only appeal to a tiny segment of customers within weeks/months of the new system rollout? The ideal way is to hit the mass market needs first and then satisfy the smaller segments.

As it is, they have done an astonishingly good job at supporting legacy lenses, especially now with IBIS. There isn't a single photographic need that can't be met with their FF cameras. The FE mount lenses will come, but we need a bit more patience than a five year old on Christmas eve.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I have mine at Amazon but they removed the link now.
    Yes, odd that Amazon no longer accepts pre-orders for the A7II. It makes me wonder if the initial supply of the new camera is extremely limited.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It just maybe and also in very high demands there are some very nice improvements.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Viramati View Post
    Well it's 1299.99 on the LCE website
    HI David
    I should order it quick if you want one!
    I suspect they got the price wrong - whether they'll honour it is a different matter, LCE are good, so they might.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Well I have pre-ordered but they only take your details so I will phone the London store manager, who I know, tomorrow. I wouldn't pay 1599 anyway so I'll see what he says in the morning

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ario Arioldi View Post
    5) After the release of the three stabilised zooms they decided to go for in-body stabilisation.
    A bit funny but it is a great feature anyhow for all those unstabilised (longer) lenses out there. I will be walking around with the Leica APO Telyt 180 a lot more then. With the A9 that is

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post

Really!?! Most people usually look to zooms first ESPECIALLY when there are gaps in lens coverage or when a system is new. I know you constantly harp on needing light lenses as much as some like me need fast lenses. The beauty is that you can always adapt and if you need AF you can adapt A-mount glass.

As for the 28 (plus the 21mm adapter) and the 90 they're coming in the next few months and you can always use the 90 as a portrait lens by using the focus limit switch on most macros to lock focus pretty quickly. I'm hoping the 35 Distagon is much better than the 35/2.8 because that thing just isn't all that impressive to me and yes I have a "good" copy.

Most pros I know swear by their 70-200 lens in most situations. This was actually a great decision by Sony to fill the gaps through zooms even if they don't fit everyone's need. You're filling gaps. Most pros that I know that have two bodies usually have a 70-200 is on one of them at all time if they can afford one. Ironically a 24-70 is usually the other choice that most pros I know go to for most work. It makes sense to build these early in the system if they are targeting the pro market as well in strategy.

So if a piece of gear doesn't work for you there's no need to be disgruntled or complain about what they don't have... Just sell it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So if a piece of gear doesn't work for you there's no need to be disgruntled or complain about what they don't have... Just sell it.
    Actually, the complaints do have an impact on Sony's way of doing business and they are big enough to take the criticism.

With Canon/Nikon and such- many can whine, plead, do a headstand...nothing ever happens and they come to Sony.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

So your primes are coming they just aren't all released yet but the Macro and the 28/2 + conversion kits were already announced. There are other brands you can go with though in native mounts that provide manual focus options. You can of course adapt as well.

I actually don't think I made your point. The Fuji X system is 3or 4 years old
    so of course they have a much larger lens lineup. Canon, Nikon, and Micro 4/3 does as well. We are talking about a lens mount that's a year old and has 14 lenses available to purchase or preorder now that cover 16-200mm. The new model is a refresh and improvement of the original that adds extra functionality - I don't see how that's a bad thing at all. If you don't print large then I agree the XT-1 will suit you fine but so will so many other cameras from pretty much any company.

I disagree 100% that most pros want prime lenses alone. Certain focal lengths I'd agree with you but they will come in time. Most pros I know (that aren't fashion or studio exclusive) stick to the faster zooms because they're flexible enough for most situations and provide great IQ. There's a reason when people mention the Nikon "Trinity" most photographers know EXACTLY what they are referring to. Canon and Nikon released f/2.8 and f/4 pro versions of the popular zooms for a reason as well.

For the record I was referring specifically to you going all Sony prematurely when it was a new system. No system comes out with a large lens lineup. Believe me my Leica 45/2.8 Macro lens doubled as my portrait lens on Micro 4/3 because there just weren't many choices early on there either.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bit of a grumpy advise....in that case a lot of people should sell their stuff

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The A7r is insanely good at landscape, but they choose to not have an EFC or a decent wide angle prime FE. That camera needs to be on a tripod for telephoto focal lengths because of the shutter vibration...
    This just isn't true for so many people who use an A7R day in and day out with telephoto lenses. Let's just say I regularly use a Zeiss Contax 180/2.8 (and other telephoto lenses of shorter focal length) on mine no problem.

There are effective workarounds but I digress... I'm not trying to talk you into keeping a camera that doesn't work for you.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    Bit of a grumpy advise....in that case a lot of people should sell their stuff
    No I'm really not grumpy at all. It's just a fact of the matter. Life is too short to hold onto unhappiness indefinitely.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, the complaints do have an impact on Sony's way of doing business and they are big enough to take the criticism.

With Canon/Nikon and such- many can whine, plead, do a headstand...nothing ever happens and they come to Sony.
    Yeah I get that but the lens roadmap is a Google search away for most people.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    Yes, odd that Amazon no longer accepts pre-orders for the A7II. It makes me wonder if the initial supply of the new camera is extremely limited.
    I think it had to do more with fixing the A7ii kit that was being sold with the new 70-300 instead of the 28-70 for $1999.99. Either someone is gonna get a great deal on the kit or someone is going to be able to get a refund.

Post Thanks / Like

SoundImagePlus article on FE system

Here's an interesting perspective from David Hughes on the Sony FE system:

The SONY FE MIRRORLESS SYSTEM - Getting there for professionals?

IMO, he is bang on the money!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah I get that but the lens roadmap is a Google search away for most people.
    Well, that google search "if done properly" (knowing google's sneaky way of channeling of traffic), also shows that goods made in Thailand by Sony are sold at far cheaper prices than in the US orthe EU. They sell them at a profit in Japan. The 55/1.8, for example, is 2x the price here compared to Japan. There are some serious consequences coming to Sony for their behaviour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    The FE16-35 not stellar and too big? You mean, besides being the top rated (per DXO) zoom in it's class, and the smallest as well? I have no idea where you get your info from.

Lenses are not a simple or fast thing to design. You can't simply draw up a design and then bang them out on an assembly line. This is an entirely new lens mount and has been available for a year.

Sony (or any maker) doesn't design products as a favor for their intended customer base. They do it to make money. How reasonable is it for them to expend tons of R&D on a lens that will only appeal to a tiny segment of customers within weeks/months of the new system rollout? The ideal way is to hit the mass market needs first and then satisfy the smaller segments.

As it is, they have done an astonishingly good job at supporting legacy lenses, especially now with IBIS. There isn't a single photographic need that can't be met with their FF cameras. The FE mount lenses will come, but we need a bit more patience than a five year old on Christmas eve.
    Nice and friendly...

I get my info from a trusted source...me. I use DXO as a base, but certainly don't spend time shooting targets. I'll go and shoot them in real world situations, and for me a lot of that is backcountry winter sports. The Sony A7 is a great camera, but is not suited for high speed sports because the refresh rate in a burst sequence, the viewfinder cannot keep up. Composition is therefore impossible.
    The size of the 16-35 FE is comparable to the 24mm ZA with LAEA 3 - small for a zoom though.
    The A7 may be newish, but considering the lens roadmap does not show any fast, primes - wide or portrait until maybe 2016, we'll then I will be impatient and open my presents now. The 16-35 is a great addition to the FE, but at this point anything would be.

Post Thanks / Like

This just isn't true for so many people who use an A7R day in and day out with telephoto lenses. Let's just say I regularly use a Zeiss Contax 180/2.8 (and other telephoto lenses of shorter focal length) on mine no problem.

There are effective workarounds but I digress... I'm not trying to talk you into keeping a camera that doesn't work for you.
    I'm talking more about 200mm and beyond for vibration issues.
    I want the newest native lenses that have the best resolution and weather resistance with good designs for CA, distortion, etc. I'm not adapting older lenses because I need AF and other smart adapters use more power. Enjoy the A7 I'm sure you'll get the lenses that will make the best use of the A7r's sensor, but by then they'll have released several cameras.
    Last edited by johnnygoesdigital; 28th November 2014 at 17:44.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And any day now they just might double their firmware update writing team by adding another programmer.