Site Sponsors
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sony A7II

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: The Sony A7II

Quote Originally Posted by neelin View Post
    And any day now they just might double their firmware update writing team by adding another programmer.

That is fine by me as long as they do not hire any of the layoffs from the closed Hasselblad design center.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Actually, the complaints do have an impact on Sony's way of doing business and they are big enough to take the criticism.

With Canon/Nikon and such- many can whine, plead, do a headstand...nothing ever happens and they come to Sony.
    Very true - in a published review of the a900 when it first came out, I complained about Sony's rear lens caps only being put on in the correct orientation - which made working in poor light problematic. (You have to match an arrow with a mark on the mount.) While the A mount lenses still have this problem, the FE does not.

Somebody at Sony was listening.
    Bill CB

www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    Very true - in a published review of the a900 when it first came out, I complained about Sony's rear lens caps only being put on in the correct orientation - which made working in poor light problematic. (You have to match an arrow with a mark on the mount.) While the A mount lenses still have this problem, the FE does not.

Somebody at Sony was listening.
    Somebody at Sony should have been thinking before launching a new product. This is my main problem with Sony in general and the A7 models in particular. I can't count how many times I have tried these cameras, wanting to like them since they would fill a void in my camera bag. Every time, I've concluded that ergonomics are on level with my OM-3. The OM-3 is of course a fine camera, but it was launched in 1983. Technology has made several improvements possible since then, not least in the area of ergonomics.

The A7 II is most of what the A7 should have been. None of what has been implemented in the new model was unknown to Sony a year ago. Still, the new camera comes with a video button that is impossible to push when the camera is held by one hand only and awkward to use unless one has three hands. They do this in spite of the fact that it has been an issue for a large number of users and in spite of the fact that more or less every other camera known to man (I'm exaggerating a bit here ) has that button in a place where it can be reached easily and without shaking the camera much.

This would have been fine if Sony were some startup company with great ideas but little experience. But they are not. They make some of the best cameras and some of the best video gear on the planet. They know this stuff.

It's like somebody at the head of the organisation said something like "Let's make the smallest exchangeable lens full frame digital camera ever, no matter what". It's the "Because we can" syndrome once again. I wouldn't be surprised if this is exactly what happened, even if they knew that ergonomics could be improved by making it slightly larger and even if they most probably knew that there wouldn't be any direct competitors around for at least a year. There wasn't any reason to rush this.

So the replacement comes and everything is fine, right? That ain't necessarily so. For while enthusiasts like the members of this forum will pay whatever amount required to get the latest version of the Sony Magic, there are lots of people out there who will be dismayed when they see that their excellent new camera which they bought less than a year ago, has suddenly lost 50% or more in value, making a sale, not to speak of an upgrade, very dubious business. These guys have wifes you know

The problem for people like us then is that, if sales fall due to Sony's lack of strategy, development of new lenses and bodies will slow down, leading to further decreasing sales and eventually a halt. Obviously, I cannot predict, and certainly don't hope for, a scenario like that for the A7, but it has happened before, and it will happen again.

Still, I want one
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 28th November 2014 at 20:50.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    The A7 II is most of what the A7 should have been. None of what has been implemented in the new model was unknown to Sony a year ago. Still, the new camera comes with a video button that is impossible to push when the camera is held by one hand only and awkward to use unless one has three hands. They do this in spite of the fact that it has been an issue for a large number of users and in spite of the fact that more or less every other camera known to man (I'm exaggerating a bit here ) has that button in a place where it can be reached easily and without shaking the camera much.
    They do this because it was by far one of the most requested body modification feature request by people who actually OWNED one after requests for a FF sensor. If you've ever used a NEX and tried taking pictures more than 3 time you would've hit the movie record button that knocks you out of photography mode. It's seriously not hard to slide your thumb to the corner to record movies but I have my cameras set to never record movies unless I switch my mode dial to movie mode. It's just not a feature I care about personally but I realize some do.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    I'm talking more about 200mm and beyond for vibration issues.
    I want the newest native lenses that have the best resolution and weather resistance with good designs for CA, distortion, etc. I'm not adapting older lenses because I need AF and other smart adapters use more power. Enjoy the A7 I'm sure you'll get the lenses that will make the best use of the A7r's sensor, but by then they'll have released several cameras.
    So again a pro DSLR is the best choice for what you describe and the lenses are already there. Based on user reports I've read as well as my own personal hands on experience with a XT-1 I don't think the Fuji AF will be accurate enough for what you want. The AF from the OM-D for instance is noticeably faster and more accurate. The next step from there is to go to pro Canon or Nikon bodies.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I never seen a faster AF body faster or more abilities than the A77II or the A6000. My bet a new A7000 is coming and I can't imagine what they will do to improve it. I shot the A600O with the 135 1.8 and its outstanding. Problem is you can't use a vertical grip on it and will it hold up to a 12 k shoot when you need too. Its a consumer model but the A77II maybe called a Prosumer unit , it's not by any stretch its a Pro cam in a Pros hand. For the 449. Dollars there asking for a A6000 I'm so tempted to buy it again, just to have it handy
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

The more I think about the less I am inclined to spend £1599 for this upgrade. As a stills only user I think the IBIS will only be of very limited use to me as I don't shoot very long lenses (longest I have is the leica apo-telyt 135) and for me the problem with low shutters speed is subject movement not really camera shake. The presumed increase of 35% in AF speed is not really a great issue again as for documentary work I find it already fast enough. I am relatively happy with the ergonomics of the present camera and last and not least I probably wouldn't get any more than £500 trade in on my present A7 which is a huge drop in only a year of ownership. Also their new prices drop really quickly the A7s was at £2200 only a few months ago and is now down to £1899 so presumably in a 2-3 months the A7II will be down to around £1000-1100.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David, The Japanese price is already at 1000 UKP. One can make a visit to Japan and get a camera in that process. In 2 months, there will be HK sellers selling it for much less.

cf: A7s price is 1648 Euros delivered.

Post Thanks / Like

While I think the 7II sounds like a very solid upgrade that will really pull new users into the system, I am much less interested in quick upgrades than ever before (in general). If anything, I am determined to pick up the outgoing models at a song than the new ones at a premium.

There has never been a better time for anyone interested in the FE Alphas than now, either with the A7II for the IBIS and improved ergonomics and build, or the old models for the performance powerhouses that are at increasingly bargain prices.

I bought into the A7 and A7R soon after release, but that's because they were ground-breaking. 'That' has happened now and I am using them as my main cameras, so upgrades will only appeal to me when they are either a bargain, or giving me something I need. The truth is I don't need any more than I have. Want is a different matter, but that usually gets put to bed when I look at some of my favourite images from my aerial project and realise they were shot on my teensy-weensy M43 Panasonic GM-1....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David, The Japanese price is already at 1000 UKP. One can make a visit to Japan and get a camera in that process. In 2 months, there will be HK sellers selling it for much less.

cf: A7s price is 1648 Euros delivered.
    Hi There Vivek
    I noticed this as well - suddenly the A7s sounds more attractive again! (£1399 now ) - admittedly it's a grey import, The combination of the A7s for low light and the A7ii for the rest is pretty compelling (still don't see the need for 36mp).

Ho Hum!

Just this guy you know

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    So again a pro DSLR is the best choice for what you describe and the lenses are already there. Based on user reports I've read as well as my own personal hands on experience with a XT-1 I don't think the Fuji AF will be accurate enough for what you want. The AF from the OM-D for instance is noticeably faster and more accurate. The next step from there is to go to pro Canon or Nikon bodies.
    Yes something like a d4 or d610 might be better for sports, but more often than not I'm hiking with a pack of gear, snowboards, poles, strobes, modifiers, etc, so the A7 's size is perfect. I would choose a prime over a zoom most every time because the rendering, IMO, is always better - pure physics. For printing up to 20x30 or for editorial work, the Fuji XT1 is a much better choice for me. It shoots at 8fps and can go to 1/32,000 via the elec. shutter and the latest firmware. Fuji may have released the X before the A7, but their lens roadmap made it clear they were going for a more advanced base. The A7 will have some new offerings in the wide FL with converters ?!
    The 14mm 2.8 prime was released quickly with the Fujifilm X and although not what I consider fast, it still appeals to many landscape/ sport shooters and is considerably better than anything that the FE has right now. That's how you establish a fan base. Until Sony has some primes that will appeal to my style of shooting I'll wait, but in the meantime, i'm grateful there's so many other options. Someday I would like to get the A9, as that might be what I've been waiting for all along.
    Last edited by johnnygoesdigital; 29th November 2014 at 07:46.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi There Vivek
    I noticed this as well - suddenly the A7s sounds more attractive again! (£1399 now ) - admittedly it's a grey import, The combination of the A7s for low light and the A7ii for the rest is pretty compelling (still don't see the need for 36mp).

Ho Hum!
    Holy Molly Jono! You bought one and sold it without making a ripple!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi There Vivek

Ho Hum!
    Well I see Panamoz have the A7s for £1370 w which is about £800 less than i paid for mine a few months ago!! All the same I am very wary about these Grey market imports as if things go wrong I'm sure it can all get very complicated

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What is "grey market" when all of them are made in Thailand by Sony (or for Sony)? Sure, there are no local warranties but that risk is a given. It is not for everyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The issue is more like Nikon. Any grey market Nikon product going in for warranty work in the US is disallowed. There is no grey market warranty work PERIOD here in the US. Not sure if Sony has that same policy but it is a risk. Also sometimes like cameras importing from Japan does not gives you a English version of the manuals or worse no english version in the firmware. For resale value not having and even though none of us read it but people want English manuals.

Grey market lenses are a much better US buyer risk but a body my recommendation and this is from me personally I would not be buying a body grey market. Just too much can go bad.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My ZA 50mm 1.4 is grey market and its clear that it is with worldwide warranties but I do have English manual for it. Here the risk you take is if the lens is screwed up out of the gate. Either return it to seller right away or risk no warranty work.

The key here is just knowing your risk I saved about 300 dollars on this lens. I got lucky its perfect

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh side note I ordered the watson dual charger. Keep you posted how good it is

Watson Duo LCD Charger with 2 NP-FW50 Battery Plates - For Sony NP-FW50 Type Battery

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    The issue is more like Nikon.
    Well, yes and it is more than one issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Im a little nervous now about shipping times to US.

Look at this email from Amazon. Copied from Sony Rumors

Since Sony hasn’t given us a date that we will receive and be able to ship these, we do not have a date listed. I checked on your order and it is still in effect. We are not allowing more pre-orders at this time as we have filled our pre-order slots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, yes and it is more than one issue.
    Just stuff folks need to know going in. Thats why we are here is to help folks make smart decisions. I saved a bundle but we must be careful too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay my concern I need this body no later than Jan 1

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's a mostly video centered review by Andrew Reid:

Sony A7 II review - 5 axis stabilisation in video mode - EOSHD

"The C1 and C2 buttons should allow instant access to things like APS-C crop mode so we can instantly switch to a tighter shot without changing the lens. These buttons should also allow you to assign video start / stop trigger, because the default button for this is still incredibly awkward to reach. Consumers will all have a bundle of camera shake at the start and end of their unedited movie clips as they juggle the body to reach the video button, Steadyshot or no Steadyshot!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh side note I ordered the watson dual charger. Keep you posted how good it is

Watson Duo LCD Charger with 2 NP-FW50 Battery Plates - For Sony NP-FW50 Type Battery
    Mine is flawless and works on over 4 different camera batteries too. Love the LCD screen data.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Holy Molly Jono! You bought one and sold it without making a ripple!
    Hi Vivek
    I used the "Amazon Hire Service" - had it about 3 weeks at the end of September early October. I didn't get on with the A7 or the A7r because of the shutter (couldn't hold it steady enough without a tripod at speeds I wanted to).

The A7s was quite different - I really liked it (especially those lovely files) BUT on it's own, it didn't have enough resolution for some of the things I do (my fault, I crop) - . . It was the IBIS I really wanted for nature stuff (where 12mp isn't always enough) - I didn't think they'd do it so fast! I think the A7ii is all I could wish for from a full frame mirrorless (I like 24mp). We'll see!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Viramati View Post
    Well I see Panamoz have the A7s for £1370 w which is about £800 less than i paid for mine a few months ago!! All the same I am very wary about these Grey market imports as if things go wrong I'm sure it can all get very complicated
    What is "grey market" when all of them are made in Thailand by Sony (or for Sony)? Sure, there are no local warranties but that risk is a given. It is not for everyone.
    SLR hut had it for £1399 - they've been around for ages and have quite a good reputation - I'm sure it's a hassle if it goes wrong - but £700 is £700 . . with a bit of luck you'll be able to get a replacement for that price when it does go wrong Anyway - any UK supplier has to give a 12month warranty if you sell in the UK - no escape!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Vivek
    I used the "Amazon Hire Service" - had it about 3 weeks at the end of September early October. I didn't get on with the A7 or the A7r because of the shutter (couldn't hold it steady enough without a tripod at speeds I wanted to).

The A7s was quite different - I really liked it (especially those lovely files) BUT on it's own, it didn't have enough resolution for some of the things I do (my fault, I crop) - . . It was the IBIS I really wanted for nature stuff (where 12mp isn't always enough) - I didn't think they'd do it so fast! I think the A7ii is all I could wish for from a full frame mirrorless (I like 24mp). We'll see!
    The 12 megapixels is my absolute only reservation about the A7s. It has speedy and accurate AF even in lowlight. If they make a version with 16-24 megapixels I'll be all over it along with a Monochrome version if they ever decide to make one.

I'm still happy with the A7 and A7R but I will more than likely trade in/sell the A7 once the A9 is released. My A7R is due to be sent in as soon as I can for FS conversion.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

... My A7R is due to be sent in as soon as I can for FS conversion.
    What is "FS conversion"?

G

Post Thanks / Like

Full Spectrum

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    What is "FS conversion"?

G
    Full Spectrum conversion (UV, Visible Light, and IR) is a sensor conversion so I have the choice of capturing different or specified bands of the EM Spectrum yet still retain the ability to capture (mostly) visible light only with external lens filters. There's a really nice thread in the Alternative Board where members that have various converter cameras are posting their images. I've been wanting to do it for some time and I was going to convert my Panasonic G1 but the impending FE cameras plus the 20% off sale at LifePixel prompted me to pull the trigger and use my A7R as my base.

Sort of a win-win for me to be able to use most lenses and never really want for additional resolution.

Post Thanks / Like

The issue is more like Nikon. Any grey market Nikon product going in for warranty work in the US is disallowed. There is no grey market warranty work PERIOD here in the US. Not sure if Sony has that same policy but it is a risk. Also sometimes like cameras importing from Japan does not gives you a English version of the manuals or worse no english version in the firmware. For resale value not having and even though none of us read it but people want English manuals.

Grey market lenses are a much better US buyer risk but a body my recommendation and this is from me personally I would not be buying a body grey market. Just too much can go bad.
    BH Photo, a Nikon authorized repair site, matches the USA warranty for grey market photo gear sold by them.

Post Thanks / Like

Im a little nervous now about shipping times to US.

Look at this email from Amazon. Copied from Sony Rumors

Since Sony hasnít given us a date that we will receive and be able to ship these, we do not have a date listed. I checked on your order and it is still in effect. We are not allowing more pre-orders at this time as we have filled our pre-order slots.
    It makes me a bit nervous as well, and I don't have the professional necessity as you do.

AFAIK, the original Amazon listing and the Sony USA store are the only outlets that listed a ship date. All others say "coming soon". But since Sony is still showing a Dec 7 ship date, I'm cautiously optimistic the same holds for all retailers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hope you are right about the 7th although I don't have any rush needs for the camera. I ordered from B&H withing an hour or so of its becoming available for order. Hoping there is a chance I will want to sell my EM-1 after this purchase but not really betting on it yet.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Funny checked my paypal account and I noticed until Dec14 th that there is a 50 dollar off when using your PayPal to purchase from the Sony store. I'll keep my Amazon order and see what Sony comes up with but I bet I have to pay tax on Sony store as well. B&h I avoid the tax. I'll just keep my options open. Worst case I'll buy from Japan if I really get in a pickle. I doubt I will but I can also rent too. I start shooting my big gig on Jan. 8th in LA and I even have Samys there so I think I'll be okay. I'm counting on this 30 percent increase in Af because this cam I need it . The A7r can be the slow camera until the A9 comes.

Anyway check your PayPal accounts see if you see that as well. 50 bucks is 50 bucks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anyway I'm ready so if a member sees something come up please PM me.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, a 30 percent increase in AF speed over what? The a77II?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

30% increase over the A7.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, okay. Yes, I knew about this. I just hadn't seen the term "FS conversion" before.

I have worked with IR and UV converted cameras in the past. I'm not moving in that direction at present with my photography (I'm more interested in pinhole, zone plate, and instant film as alternative process cameras at present), but it's nice to know that the technology there continues to develop.

G

Full Spectrum conversion (UV, Visible Light, and IR) is a sensor conversion so I have the choice of capturing different or specified bands of the EM Spectrum yet still retain the ability to capture (mostly) visible light only with external lens filters. There's a really nice thread in the Alternative Board where members that have various converter cameras are posting their images. I've been wanting to do it for some time and I was going to convert my Panasonic G1 but the impending FE cameras plus the 20% off sale at LifePixel prompted me to pull the trigger and use my A7R as my base.

Sort of a win-win for me to be able to use most lenses and never really want for additional resolution.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

30% increase over the A7.
    Yes that is what I'm banking on. I saw a video with AF tracking it looked pretty good

Post Thanks / Like

Godfrey

What pinhole assembly do you use for E mount? Thanks Paul

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by camping View Post
    Godfrey

What pinhole assembly do you use for E mount? Thanks Paul
    I use a Skink pinhole/zone plate kit for Leica M-mount along with a Novoflex NEX/LEM adapter. It nets a 24mm FoV, approximately, unless I add some extension to it.

Sony A7 + Skink Zone Sieve 24mm
    ISO 25600 @ f/71

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

The A77 ll is at such a good price now $1499 with 16-50 lens and vertical grip that I have been considering it for portrait work. I have a A7r that I use with a Metabones adapter and my Canon TS lenses for architecture but I would like to leave that set up for that subject matter. Am I crazy for considering this? Is there a better Sony option? I have just given up on Canon bodies.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I confirmed a preorder and price of £1299 with LCE which is £300 less than either WEX or Park cameras

Post Thanks / Like

This is a "what's new" with the A7II video posted on SAR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5Lizjb_mcI

At the beginning he shows some AF tracking using the new "lock on" setting". Wow, it sure looks to be a lot quicker than the A7! The green box glues to the subject even when he pans quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea saw that this morning. Looks real good. I may change my rental ZA 70-200 in January to the FE version so I can take advantage of that setting. I'm worried about the 70-200 being very sharp at 4.5 since that is what I can get away with doing runway and keep shutter speed up to around 1/400 th at ISO 800. Like to keep the ISO low as possible. I used the ZA 70-200 2.8 both on my A7 and A77II. Not sure I should switch now though. See how results are coming in once it hits the streets. I'll be shooting in crop mode as well for the reach.

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't 5 axis IS, which helps with "panning/scanning" with the addition of pitch/yaw, give you a few extra F stops?

My own tests show the FE70-200 to sharpen up in the corners at F5.6 when at 200mm. By 6.3, it's gone. Even at 4.5, it's not at all bad. But your tests will give you a good idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

IBIS may help me. I'm on a monopod but it can can't hurt me either. I have some time to change my rental before they ship for 12/30 delivery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Corners won't mean much to me on this shoot

Shelby Lewis

I shot an a900 for quite a while... it's still a favorite DSLR of all the ones I've owned (but no longer own). If the IBIS on the a7II is as good (or better) as the old a900, you'll all find yourselves totally spoiled.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the video, most of what was shown is irrelevant to me. Focus tracking, more AF points ... I use all manual*focus lenses. Etc.

However, I like the softer, nicer shape applied to the upper portion of the body for the Menu and other buttons. Easier to see them and get to them. How effective the IBIS is remains to be seen. The steel lens mount is a plus for sure.

Whether I buy one or not, I can't say at the moment. I've got way, way, way!, too much gear and my present A7 works well for what I use it for. I intend to cut back on the-stuff-in-the-closet rather radically in 2015. I just want to do my photography, and what I need to do it is ever decreasing.

G

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

As someone having owned an A7s and A7 for just some weeks I agree with those who do not like Sonys product cycle philosophy.
    The A7II doesnt make my A7 a worse camera but it decreases ist value when I might want to upgrade to another Body. And it also reduces the chances for really much effort to improve the A7 vs Firmware in the future.

For me the policy makes it harder to Switch to the A7II (even though there are some good reasons for the A7II) because in spring we have to expect the next evolution step/the rumoured A9?.

Changing products so often - IMO - makes it easier for the camera Producer to throw something on the market. If something doesnt work well - they can improve it with the next model. And the customer pays for it.
    Shutter to loud? bajonet too weak? doesnt matter, when the A7III Comes People Forget about the Problems they had with the A7/A7II.

Another example: I wonder why I paid for OSS in the 70200 and 2470. If it had bean clear that there are bodies with OSS Sony could have made those lenses somewhat smaller and offer them for a lower Price.

Sorry, bu I had to say it.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post