The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Sony A7II

petetsai

The new grip looks like it will fix one my complaints to Sony when evaluating the A7r, you simply can't use a hand grip on the body. I had the Sony hand grip with my A7r and the sony hand grip strap. If you strapped it to the grip and up to the upper strap ear it pinned your hand to where it was impossible to get near the shutter release, a really odd situation as they put a strap pickup on the grip so you would think one person would have tested this. I will be pre-ordering one to test with as soon as they hit the Sony site.

iiiNelson

You did not return either or sell them and start a thread why you did that? :eek:
Nah... They're in a camera bag underneath a desk I'm typing this on.

They've managed to survive trips to three continents (Europe, Africa, and all over North America) to include an African Safari that had over 50% of it shot handheld with a Zeiss Contax Yashica 180/2.8 FLE MMJ... Mananged to get extremely sharp shots too.

tn1krr

Fair enough but anecdotal evidence of one person (real or otherwise) doesn't constitute a problem for all that SOME try to make it out to be. If that one guy didn't post about it then people wouldn't have such an issue... kinda like the shutter shock "issue." Few people would even know it existed if someone didn't go out of their way to create a mob of people that decided it was unbearable for them as well even when their longest lens goes to 200mm (which is very easy to handhold BTW.)
Yet if one is heavily into night/star photography one should know about these things. As for shutter shock; when I got my A7R I noticed it pretty much immediately. I had the light and flimsy APS-C 55-210 at the time and it vibrated like madman on tripod. Again, after studying stuff in internet I found a pile of nice antidotes and my A7R + LA-EA4 + 70-400 SSM2 setup now looks like this and it works ok while I wait for EFCS on high res sensor

That's the problem with many new electronics and the internet. People go out of their way to look for problems most wouldn't encounter in normal usage then demand a total redesign.
Gotta disagree here. Both RAW compression and shutter shock are "good to know" stuff for people considering these cameras; let them decide if they are an issue for their photography. And the fact that they have been made publicly known can have a contribution on Sony fixing them.

lambert

I am really astonished about the replies here about the new A7 II.

Is it really so difficult to see what kind of a Milestone that 5 axis image stabilisation is ? Using the chip and allowing it for all 3rd party lenses as well ?

Hello - Good morning ? For that feature alone some other people would probably kill, respectively pay thousands of $ just to get their one important lens stabilized 4,5 stops !

α7 Ⅱ 5-axis SteadyShot INSIDE from Sony: Official Video Release - YouTube

And probably that is only the beginning, I am pretty sure an A7R II with same specs will follow.

Firmware update...... people you are funny sometimes.:facesmack:

Greetings from Germany
Stefan
Well said. Fuji can issue a new firmware update every month, but the XT-1 will never have IBIS nor a video codec that will match Sony's XAVCs.

iiiNelson

Gotta disagree here. Both RAW compression and shutter shock are "good to know" stuff for people considering these cameras; let them decide if they are an issue for them. And the fact that they have been made publicly known can have a contribution on Sony fixing them.
What I'm referring to specifically is the compulsive nature of people spreading the potential issues around as a problem without ANY workarounds that affects ALL. That is a problem in itself.

I agree that information sharing is a great thing but only when done responsibly. I've read plenty of posts of people who have never even touched an A7r (much less owned one) quoting something they read on the internet as fact for all. Again if it affects a particular person then so be it but I think those people are in the minority to be honest. There's a lot more people holding onto their A7r's than people selling them.

iiiNelson

Well said. Fuji can issue a new firmware update every month, but the XT-1 will never have IBIS nor a video codec that will match Sony's XAVCs.
Or a FF sensor... or FF lenses... Without redesigning them... Which requires a new body.

Stefan Steib

Nobody can probably know how effective a single chip operation is against a split operation, the text on the japanese site "seems" to preferre the split operation with OSS lenses.

"....E-mount lens of OSS (lens in the optical camera shake correction function) lens featuring the (* 1) when worn, correction of angular camera shake (Pitch / Yaw) in the lens side, Shifutobure (X / Y) and rotational camera shake (Roll) of correction was performed in the body side, by combining the correction of lens side and the body side, to achieve the optimal 5 Jikute shake correction....."

I just say: I am drooling about getting this for my converted 1,2/85 FD L , my 1,2/55mm, the 1,4/35mm and even more for my FD 2.0/135mm. or my FD 2,8/200mm. Probably net this is more important than the A7S´s larger pixels. But then - can anyone imagine what an A7S II would do with this ....?

:bugeyes:

k-hawinkler

What I'm referring to specifically is the compulsive nature of people spreading the potential issues around as a problem without ANY workarounds that affects ALL. That is a problem in itself.

I agree that information sharing is a great thing but only when done responsibly. I've read plenty of posts of people who have never even touched an A7r (much less owned one) quoting something they read on the internet as fact for all. Again if it affects a particular person then so be it but I think those people are in the minority to be honest. There's a lot more people holding onto their A7r's than people selling them.

Well, I wonder who is compulsive here?
I still have my A7R, use it a lot and like it.
But I also know how to avoid situations in which shutter shock rears its ugly head.

I guess we have to agree to disagree on this issue.

algrove

Well, I'm definitely in again on this one - hopefully this time I'll keep it.
The IBIS makes it a perfect candidate for use with R lenses (and of course any other longer lenses). 24mp suits me well.
a definite definite (very exciting).
The IBIS and the shutter do it for me. Now for the wait.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This is all fine and dandy. The camera seems to be great, certainly better than the first attempt, and I would like to buy one. Time will show. Then I ask myself: What will I use it for? It will be a great body for all my excellent old Zuiko, Nikkor and Zeiss lenses of course. Great fun that can translate into some (hopefully) nice photos. And for travel and work too, just buying some of those great, new Zeiss AF lenses for this camera, like the.... hey, wait! There ain't none!

Well... not none, but still, it wouldn't be correct to talk about holes in the lineup. The current lens lineup reminds me more of islands in the ocean. I'm sure they are great, but wouldn't a portrait lens be kind of nice to have? Even Samsung has that. And Nikon? That ancient camera wizard that recently launched yet another museum-ready DSLR, this dying breed of imaging equipment that our grandfathers used. The last couple of years, they have launched 5 new f/1.8 primes for the 35mm format, spanning form 20 to 85mm. Do I need to mention m4/3?

I know there are workarounds. Adapters, including the use of A-mount lenses, and Guy who is successfully using his A bodies for professional goodness. But what's the strategy? Sony's strategy? We have seen so many great products from Sony through the years, and so many failures. And the failures mostly didn't fail because they were bad products. Rather the opposite actually. The Elcaset, the MiniDisc and the Memory Stick were all nice products and often better than the competition, but the product strategy behind didn't seem to work.

Now we have A-lenses for two different formats, E-lenses and FE-lenses. The total number of lenses would resemble those available for m4/3 and look almost impressive if they had all been for one mount, one format. But they ain't. One can of course always give them some slack for a system that is only a year old, but it isn't. The NEX system, which is what this really is, is fast approaching 5 years, and even in the digital universe, corporations the size of Sony have strategies that last longer than 12 months. Most of them anyway.

Remember when Sony, during some financial crisis a few years ago, announced that, due to the world recession, they would put LED TVs on hold? It took only a couple of hours before Samsung issued a press release stating the opposite. That was when Sony TVs disappear from the premium shelves of stores and were replaced by Samsung. It didn't take many weeks.

So I don't trust Sony. I trust their products. They are among the best money can buy. But I don't trust their strategies. Sometimes, I wonder if they have strategies.

To me then, the A7 II looks like yet another great hobby camera. Fine for professional use for those who can earn the cost within the lifetime of the camera, or the lifetime of Sony's FE strategy. But for my work, and living in a market where cost levels dictate write-down of five years rather than one, I might have to trust the old horses yet again, like Nikon and Panalympus. And then, if I stumble across some unexpected cash... the A7 II or III might be what I spend it on. I hope for that :)

Just my 2 baht...

iiiNelson

This is all fine and dandy. The camera seems to be great, certainly better than the first attempt, and I would like to buy one. Time will show. Then I ask myself: What will I use it for? It will be a great body for all my excellent old Zuiko, Nikkor and Zeiss lenses of course. Great fun that can translate into some (hopefully) nice photos. And for travel and work too, just buying some of those great, new Zeiss AF lenses for this camera, like the.... hey, wait! There ain't none!

Well... not none, but still, it wouldn't be correct to talk about holes in the lineup. The current lens lineup reminds me more of islands in the ocean. I'm sure they are great, but wouldn't a portrait lens be kind of nice to have? Even Samsung has that. And Nikon? That ancient camera wizard that recently launched yet another museum-ready DSLR, this dying breed of imaging equipment that our grandfathers used. The last couple of years, they have launched 5 new f/1.8 primes for the 35mm format, spanning form 20 to 85mm. Do I need to mention m4/3?

I know there are workarounds. Adapters, including the use of A-mount lenses, and Guy who is successfully using his A bodies for professional goodness. But what's the strategy? Sony's strategy? We have seen so many great products from Sony through the years, and so many failures. And the failures mostly didn't fail because they were bad products. Rather the opposite actually. The Elcaset, the MiniDisc and the Memory Stick were all nice products and often better than the competition, but the product strategy behind didn't seem to work.

Now we have A-lenses for two different formats, E-lenses and FE-lenses. The total number of lenses would resemble those available for m4/3 and look almost impressive if they had all been for one mount, one format. But they ain't. One can of course always give them some slack for a system that is only a year old, but it isn't. The NEX system, which is what this really is, is fast approaching 5 years, and even in the digital universe, corporations the size of Sony have strategies that last longer than 12 months. Most of them anyway.

Remember when Sony, during some financial crisis a few years ago, announced that, due to the world recession, they would put LED TVs on hold? It took only a couple of hours before Samsung issued a press release stating the opposite. That was when Sony TVs disappear from the premium shelves of stores and were replaced by Samsung. It didn't take many weeks.

So I don't trust Sony. I trust their products. They are among the best money can buy. But I don't trust their strategies. Sometimes, I wonder if they have strategies.

To me then, the A7 II looks like yet another great hobby camera. Fine for professional use for those who can earn the cost within the lifetime of the camera, or the lifetime of Sony's FE strategy. But for my work, and living in a market where cost levels dictate write-down of five years rather than one, I might have to trust the old horses yet again, like Nikon and Panalympus. And then, if I stumble across some unexpected cash... the A7 II or III might be what I spend it on. I hope for that :)

Just my 2 baht...
Looking at B&H there are 14 native FE lenses available for purchase of preorder. That's all within one year's time. Seems like Sony is forming a strategy but people won't let them live their past down (not that I totally blame people for being skeptical.)

This isn't counting the hundred of adapted lenses that people have access to. So I agree as a FF hobby platform or one for some pros the FE system works maybe better then anything else out there.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Looking at B&H there are 14 native FE lenses available for purchase of preorder. That's all within one year's time. Seems like Sony is forming a strategy but people won't let them live their past down (not that I totally blame people for being skeptical.)

This isn't counting the hundred of adapted lenses that people have access to. So I agree as a FF hobby platform or one for some pros the FE system works maybe better then anything else out there.
According to Sony's homepage, there are 7 FE lenses available now of which 2 are primes. Any mirrorless camera can use adapted lenses. As for strategy, which one are you talking about? The Alpha strategy, the NEX strategy or the FE strategy?

Sony's past isn't very long ago. They came up with a usable, although nothing near complete, lens lineup for the Alphas, partly because they inherited Minolta's designs. They don't seem to develop new lenses for Alpha, SLT or whatever it's called nowadays. Correct me if I'm wrong.

After nearly 5 years, the NEX or E lens lineup is rather mediocre with a few shining exceptions. Will there be more lenses for E?

For FE, they have a roadmap and 7 lenses. Even for the unloved Nikon 1 there are 13 lenses currently available.

So far, Sony have shown what Sony always show: Premium technology in a fun package.

Hosermage

While camera bodies are undergoing redesigns after redesigns, I think it's smart for them to not invest too deep into developing lenses. I rather they choose the body/mount for the best reasons than making compromises on support for an existing line up. The new kid on the block gets to do that for a little while, I think. I love how they are iterating through all these versions of bodies, each time getting closer and closer to.... ???

Meanwhile, I was watching the video about the 5-axis IBIS and was intrigued how it seems that they're able to turn each component on/off for the demonstration. I wonder if those are just mocked videos for marketing purpose, or if they are direct video clips taken out of the camera. However, that's kind of what they'll have to do with the OSS lens, right? To be able to turn on/off certain axis in the IBIS is pretty cool to me.

V

Vivek

There are probably more lenses for the pentax Q and Pentax K ( they had a mirrorless machine), Nikon V1 is very well built, absolutely no NEX body will measure upto it. Does it matter?

There are many who just buy Sony stuff for what they are, with no illusion about old fashioned ideas.

Just compare how long of a song and dance Nikon fans went through to see the 16mp Nikon Df.

It takes a very short time to get what people want in a Sony cam. There is no other innovative camera company at the moment to compare with Sony.