The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Sony A7II

V

Vivek

For my way of shooting, IBIS of no use. Before I get one of these, I will check if it can be turned off. Aside that, the (mechanical) construction appears to be the best of the A7 series so far. That alone is good enough for me, given how wonderful the files are from this (A7) sensor. 6 months and there will be a flood of them at a fair price. :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
For my way of shooting, IBIS of no use. Before I get one of these, I will check if it can be turned off. Aside that, the (mechanical) construction appears to be the best of the A7 series so far. That alone is good enough for me, given how wonderful the files are from this (A7) sensor. 6 months and there will be a flood of them at a fair price. :)
What makes the most sense is to wait a couple of months and buy the old model for $7-800. The II model will probably be available for a similar price once Sony has launched the A9, the A7R II, the A7 III or whatever will be Sony's next great idea.

There a "like new" Sony Walkman Professional WM-D6C fo rsale at The Great Big Auction Site for around $1,100. The WM-D6C was on the market from 1984-2002, that's 18 years. Today, it's as obsolete as a Nikon F3, maybe even more so. I take it for granted that the A7 II won't be in production in 2032. Will anybody pay a thousand dollars for a mint copy in 2044? I have a feeling the Walkman would be a better investment. Maybe I should buy one ;)

Last edited:
V

Vivek

By 2044, I may not be alive to see this prediction/speculation. Life is short and precious. Make use of it while you have most of your faculties active- that is my motto. ;)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Yes, but that doesn't affect the RAW files. I don't have a problem with what I see in the viewfinder. (I'd rather see what I'm going to get)
How silly! With the Panasonic cameras, the RAW files come out with whatever aspect ratio I specify. I use 16:9 a lot with the GH2, since it has the oversized sensor.

Then I have a question regarding the A7/II:
When shooting in crop mode, will the RAW files be crop files? I assumed this was obvious, but apparently, it isn't.

V

Vivek

How silly! With the Panasonic cameras, the RAW files come out with whatever aspect ratio I specify. I use 16:9 a lot with the GH2, since it has the oversized sensor.

It is a video camera. I have that camera and have seen the sensor upclose, it still is tiny no matter how you slice it. :D

When shooting in crop mode, will the RAW files be crop files? I assumed this was obvious, but apparently, it isn't.
Yeah, crop file. Still much larger real estate than the micro 43 sensor.

iiiNelson

Because I would like to have a full frame camera, preferably with IBIS and peaking, to use with my manual focus Nikkor, Zuiko and Zeiss lenses :)
Buy one and if you're objective about it you will quickly see the shortcomings of Micro 4/3 as is relates to IQ. There really isn't a better body out there for adapting lenses to. I think you were caught up in Sony's long term strategy but it's a non-issue for the lens adaption types.

The A7 series is really not in the same league as the Panasonic bodies - especially since we are speaking of the early generation NMOS cameras you own. Believe me I still own my original G1 and prefer Panasonic bodies to Olympus ones (besides the two high end OM-D's.)

johnnygoesdigital

Sony's FE lens road map still does't include a fast prime short tele. Actually, there's only one "fast" prime FE lens as in the 55 1.8. Not including AF, the loxia is still in that given focal range that Sony already has...that's why I'm switching...a FF mirror-less was a great idea for those who want to adapt their existing lens line up,but for those who like the newer native lens mount, not so much. If they want to keep customers they should have have a better FE prime lens line up...at least for those where the utmost in resolution is imperative.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

Sony's FE lens road map still does't include a fast prime short tele. Actually, there's only one "fast" prime FE lens as in the 55 1.8. Not including AF, the loxia is still in that given focal range that Sony already has...that's why I'm switching...a FF mirror-less was a great idea for those who want to adapt their existing lens line up,but for those who like the newer native lens mount...Sony sucks.
Do they suck or did you make a premature impulsive decision on a system building a new line of lenses? We are talking about a year old FF system.

Annna T

Do they suck or did you make a premature impulsive decision on a system building a new line of lenses? We are talking about a year old FF system.
I think that their decisions aren't very coherent :

1) They have designed the smallest and lightest FF camera, but
2) They have chosen to fullfill the zoom coverage first with lenses (24-70mm, 70-200mm, 16-35mm) that are quite big, while
3) There are still no full coverage of light primes (35mm and 55mm only) which is what would best complement a light body. We need a 24mm or 28mm and a 90mm before bigger zooms
4) The fact that Zeiss chose to issue a 35mm and a 50mm doesn't help either.

V

Vivek

They suck money off transients who complain before buying and after selling. They are peerless at the moment when it comes to innovative products and there is no stopping now. :)

I think that their decisions aren't very coherent :

1) They have designed the smallest and lightest FF camera, but
2) They have chosen to fullfill the zoom coverage first with lenses (24-70mm, 70-200mm, 16-35mm) that are quite big, while
3) There are still no full coverage of light primes (35mm and 55mm only) which is what would best complement a light body. We need a 24mm or 28mm and a 90mm before bigger zooms
4) The fact that Zeiss chose to issue a 35mm and a 50mm doesn't help either.
5) After the release of the three stabilised zooms they decided to go for in-body stabilisation.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Yes I do this a lot by shooting in crop mode. The raws on the A7r for instance my raw files are 16 mgs. For me I need a 300mm do do a certain job. I slap the 70-200 into crop mode. Sure its a reduced file but even so on those gigs this is plenty of file. Yesterday I shot the 24TSe for some group shots than on closer shots I just slapped it in crop mode for 33mm size. In this case it's all I really need. The beauty of having a 24 and /or 36 mpx cameras is you can cheat like this sometimes. I use it to my advantage when needed. Its saves me a ton of time in post.

johnnygoesdigital

You just made my point by mentioning the fact the system is already a year old and their releasing new camera models instead of a pro lens line up. After the 16-35 was finally released it was too big and not stellar in any sense. Functional? Yes, but most pros want prime lenses, it's simple really. There's nothing impulsive about waiting for the A7 system to mature, but the FE lens roadmap still doesn't include a fast prime for maybe another year! As a comparison the Fujifilm XT1 just released a firmware upgrade that increases the shutter to 1/32,000! No new camera needed and the XF lenses are insanely good and comparable, if not better than FE current offerings.The just announced XF 90mm f/2, among others, in addition to the already released 56mm 1.2, which is one of the best short tele's ever! Regardless of sensor size, I usually only print up to 20x30, and the DOF difference is not an issue for me. Perhaps a little "peer" pressure is exactly what Sony needs.
Premature? Not soon enough!

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Johnny the ZA glass is awesome on the A7 series. I have the 50 and 85 and they work great along with the 135 but yes your right, I'm just buying time and I'm okay with that for now

johnnygoesdigital

Guy,
You're right about the ZA's but when I used the 24 distagon, it used considerably more battery when using SSM lenses, even in airplane mode. The A7r is insanely good at landscape, but they choose to not have an EFC or a decent wide angle prime FE. That camera needs to be on a tripod for telephoto focal lengths because of the shutter vibration, but yet there are no fast primes to take advantage of that sensor in anything over/under 55mm. When yet another camera model is released by Sony (A9), the lens road map prevents me from continuing with Sony.

Guy Mancuso

I honestly think there roadmap will be updated when they announce the A9. They are watching these kinds of comments as we see the upgrades in the A7II came directly from users. They would be pretty stupid not to be watching our comments. But these are things we should talk about as it brings it up and brings it to the top of the surface. I seriously wish I had Sony's ear like I did with Leica.

Godfrey

Yes, but that doesn't affect the RAW files. I don't have a problem with what I see in the viewfinder. (I'd rather see what I'm going to get)
Jono,

That depends on what software you're using. Aperture does not honor the framing information in the .ORF files. Lightroom does, and you can change it with the crop tool as well.

G

turtle

The FE mount is going down a storm. Sony is a business and wants to make money. Sony will therefore continue to invest in the FE system because it will make them money.

IMHO the FE and E mounts are the future for Sony and progress will be swift. That said, I too wish they would get a move on with the wide primes able to make the A7R sing. Still, with the metabones all my Canon L lenses are working nicely.