The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Sony A7II

jonoslack

Jono,

That depends on what software you're using. Aperture does not honor the framing information in the .ORF files. Lightroom does, and you can change it with the crop tool as well.

G
HI There Godfrey
I was going by what it said in the camera (not what happens in Aperture).

That certainly seems most sensible.

thanks for the clarification
All the best
Jon

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The FE mount is going down a storm. Sony is a business and wants to make money. Sony will therefore continue to invest in the FE system because it will make them money.

IMHO the FE and E mounts are the future for Sony and progress will be swift. That said, I too wish they would get a move on with the wide primes able to make the A7R sing. Still, with the metabones all my Canon L lenses are working nicely.
This is pretty much the only system that has hundreds of lenses you can use on it. I'm taking full advantage of the 17 and 24 canon TSE glass because I can and Canon does not have a 36mpx sensor. It's a win win for me. I think people keep forgetting the huge advantage of 3rd party lenses. I use the ZA glass for the AF stuff until the system is packed than I'll switch them out.im not really lacking for anything as whatever I use I will get by.

Godfrey

HI There Godfrey
I was going by what it said in the camera (not what happens in Aperture).
That certainly seems most sensible.
I misspoke: The latest version of Aperture does honor the format chosen even with raw captures. I don't see the ability to change it after the fact, as LR can, but then I'm not all that familiar with the cropping tools in Aperture.

Not sure what you mean by "going by what it said in the camera" ... Are you talking about the pixel values in the image format/sizing selection view? With JPEG they're correct and important, but with raw captures you will record maximum resolution modified per the proportions as you see them in the viewfinder.

G

Godfrey

Anna: isn't it better to have a small body on a big zoom than a bigger body?
Up to a point. If you're hand-holding the camera, a larger, heavier body with a large zoom can help balance the assembly better. For instance, with the E-M1 I often add the HLD-7 battery grip when I'm using the FT 50-200 lens and walking about with the rig because it is much more balanced that way.

Some folks I know add the battery grip to the A7/r/s for the same reason. It also seems to reduce the shutter induced vibration.

G
-- added: example of E-M1 formats in raw:

Last edited:

jonoslack

I misspoke: The latest version of Aperture does honor the format chosen even with raw captures. I don't see the ability to change it after the fact, as LR can, but then I'm not all that familiar with the cropping tools in Aperture.

Not sure what you mean by "going by what it said in the camera" ... Are you talking about the pixel values in the image format/sizing selection view? With JPEG they're correct and important, but with raw captures you will record maximum resolution modified per the proportions as you see them in the viewfinder.

G
HI Godfrey - having tested it I've found the same - the 3:2 crop is honoured by Aperture giving a 14.2mp file.

jonoslack

oops - price hoik in the UK
I notice that WEX is now advertising the A7ii at £1599 body only - whereas it was £1299 when I placed my order . . . interesting to see what happens when it arrives!

Michiel Schierbeek

Up to a point. If you're hand-holding the camera, a larger, heavier body with a large zoom can help balance the assembly better. For instance, with the E-M1 I often add the HLD-7 battery grip when I'm using the FT 50-200 lens and walking about with the rig because it is much more balanced that way.

Some folks I know add the battery grip to the A7/r/s for the same reason. It also seems to reduce the shutter induced vibration.

G
Yes I really like the battery grip on my A7r with bigger lenses especially with my two Contax N zooms. Balances much better.

dandrewk

You just made my point by mentioning the fact the system is already a year old and their releasing new camera models instead of a pro lens line up. After the 16-35 was finally released it was too big and not stellar in any sense. Functional? Yes, but most pros want prime lenses, it's simple really. There's nothing impulsive about waiting for the A7 system to mature, but the FE lens roadmap still doesn't include a fast prime for maybe another year! As a comparison the Fujifilm XT1 just released a firmware upgrade that increases the shutter to 1/32,000! No new camera needed and the XF lenses are insanely good and comparable, if not better than FE current offerings.The just announced XF 90mm f/2, among others, in addition to the already released 56mm 1.2, which is one of the best short tele's ever! Regardless of sensor size, I usually only print up to 20x30, and the DOF difference is not an issue for me. Perhaps a little "peer" pressure is exactly what Sony needs.
Premature? Not soon enough!
The FE16-35 not stellar and too big? You mean, besides being the top rated (per DXO) zoom in it's class, and the smallest as well? I have no idea where you get your info from.

Lenses are not a simple or fast thing to design. You can't simply draw up a design and then bang them out on an assembly line. This is an entirely new lens mount and has been available for a year.

Sony (or any maker) doesn't design products as a favor for their intended customer base. They do it to make money. How reasonable is it for them to expend tons of R&D on a lens that will only appeal to a tiny segment of customers within weeks/months of the new system rollout? The ideal way is to hit the mass market needs first and then satisfy the smaller segments.

As it is, they have done an astonishingly good job at supporting legacy lenses, especially now with IBIS. There isn't a single photographic need that can't be met with their FF cameras. The FE mount lenses will come, but we need a bit more patience than a five year old on Christmas eve.

Viramati

Well I have pre-ordered but they only take your details so I will phone the London store manager, who I know, tomorrow. I wouldn't pay £1599 anyway so I'll see what he says in the morning

Michiel Schierbeek

5) After the release of the three stabilised zooms they decided to go for in-body stabilisation.
A bit funny but it is a great feature anyhow for all those unstabilised (longer) lenses out there. I will be walking around with the Leica APO Telyt 180 a lot more then. With the A9 that is :bugeyes:

iiiNelson

I think that their decisions aren't very coherent :

1) They have designed the smallest and lightest FF camera, but
2) They have chosen to fullfill the zoom coverage first with lenses (24-70mm, 70-200mm, 16-35mm) that are quite big, while
3) There are still no full coverage of light primes (35mm and 55mm only) which is what would best complement a light body. We need a 24mm or 28mm and a 90mm before bigger zooms
4) The fact that Zeiss chose to issue a 35mm and a 50mm doesn't help either.
Really!?! Most people usually look to zooms first ESPECIALLY when there are gaps in lens coverage or when a system is new. I know you constantly harp on needing light lenses as much as some like me need fast lenses. The beauty is that you can always adapt and if you need AF you can adapt A-mount glass.

As for the 28 (plus the 21mm adapter) and the 90 they're coming in the next few months and you can always use the 90 as a portrait lens by using the focus limit switch on most macros to lock focus pretty quickly. I'm hoping the 35 Distagon is much better than the 35/2.8 because that thing just isn't all that impressive to me and yes I have a "good" copy.

Most pros I know swear by their 70-200 lens in most situations. This was actually a great decision by Sony to fill the gaps through zooms even if they don't fit everyone's need. You're filling gaps. Most pros that I know that have two bodies usually have a 70-200 is on one of them at all time if they can afford one. Ironically a 24-70 is usually the other choice that most pros I know go to for most work. It makes sense to build these early in the system if they are targeting the pro market as well in strategy.

So if a piece of gear doesn't work for you there's no need to be disgruntled or complain about what they don't have... Just sell it.

V

Vivek

So if a piece of gear doesn't work for you there's no need to be disgruntled or complain about what they don't have... Just sell it.
Actually, the complaints do have an impact on Sony's way of doing business and they are big enough to take the criticism.

With Canon/Nikon and such- many can whine, plead, do a headstand...nothing ever happens and they come to Sony. :)

iiiNelson

You just made my point by mentioning the fact the system is already a year old and their releasing new camera models instead of a pro lens line up. After the 16-35 was finally released it was too big and not stellar in any sense. Functional? Yes, but most pros want prime lenses, it's simple really. There's nothing impulsive about waiting for the A7 system to mature, but the FE lens roadmap still doesn't include a fast prime for maybe another year! As a comparison the Fujifilm XT1 just released a firmware upgrade that increases the shutter to 1/32,000! No new camera needed and the XF lenses are insanely good and comparable, if not better than FE current offerings.The just announced XF 90mm f/2, among others, in addition to the already released 56mm 1.2, which is one of the best short tele's ever! Regardless of sensor size, I usually only print up to 20x30, and the DOF difference is not an issue for me. Perhaps a little "peer" pressure is exactly what Sony needs.
Premature? Not soon enough!
So your primes are coming they just aren't all released yet but the Macro and the 28/2 + conversion kits were already announced. There are other brands you can go with though in native mounts that provide manual focus options. You can of course adapt as well.

I actually don't think I made your point. The Fuji X system is 3or 4 years old
so of course they have a much larger lens lineup. Canon, Nikon, and Micro 4/3 does as well. We are talking about a lens mount that's a year old and has 14 lenses available to purchase or preorder now that cover 16-200mm. The new model is a refresh and improvement of the original that adds extra functionality - I don't see how that's a bad thing at all. If you don't print large then I agree the XT-1 will suit you fine but so will so many other cameras from pretty much any company.

I disagree 100% that most pros want prime lenses alone. Certain focal lengths I'd agree with you but they will come in time. Most pros I know (that aren't fashion or studio exclusive) stick to the faster zooms because they're flexible enough for most situations and provide great IQ. There's a reason when people mention the Nikon "Trinity" most photographers know EXACTLY what they are referring to. Canon and Nikon released f/2.8 and f/4 pro versions of the popular zooms for a reason as well.

For the record I was referring specifically to you going all Sony prematurely when it was a new system. No system comes out with a large lens lineup. Believe me my Leica 45/2.8 Macro lens doubled as my portrait lens on Micro 4/3 because there just weren't many choices early on there either.