The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Sony A7II

johnnygoesdigital

So again a pro DSLR is the best choice for what you describe and the lenses are already there. Based on user reports I've read as well as my own personal hands on experience with a XT-1 I don't think the Fuji AF will be accurate enough for what you want. The AF from the OM-D for instance is noticeably faster and more accurate. The next step from there is to go to pro Canon or Nikon bodies.
Yes something like a d4 or d610 might be better for sports, but more often than not I'm hiking with a pack of gear, snowboards, poles, strobes, modifiers, etc, so the A7 's size is perfect. I would choose a prime over a zoom most every time because the rendering, IMO, is always better - pure physics. For printing up to 20x30 or for editorial work, the Fuji XT1 is a much better choice for me. It shoots at 8fps and can go to 1/32,000 via the elec. shutter and the latest firmware. Fuji may have released the X before the A7, but their lens roadmap made it clear they were going for a more advanced base. The A7 will have some new offerings in the wide FL with converters ?!
The 14mm 2.8 prime was released quickly with the Fujifilm X and although not what I consider fast, it still appeals to many landscape/ sport shooters and is considerably better than anything that the FE has right now. That's how you establish a fan base. Until Sony has some primes that will appeal to my style of shooting I'll wait, but in the meantime, i'm grateful there's so many other options. Someday I would like to get the A9, as that might be what I've been waiting for all along.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Hi There Vivek
I noticed this as well - suddenly the A7s sounds more attractive again! (£1399 now ) - admittedly it's a grey import, The combination of the A7s for low light and the A7ii for the rest is pretty compelling (still don't see the need for 36mp).

Ho Hum!
Holy Molly Jono! You bought one and sold it without making a ripple! :ROTFL:

Viramati

Hi There Vivek
I noticed this as well - suddenly the A7s sounds more attractive again! (£1399 now ) - admittedly it's a grey import, The combination of the A7s for low light and the A7ii for the rest is pretty compelling (still don't see the need for 36mp).

Ho Hum!
Well I see Panamoz have the A7s for £1370 w which is about £800 less than i paid for mine a few months ago!! All the same I am very wary about these Grey market imports as if things go wrong I'm sure it can all get very complicated

V

Vivek

What is "grey market" when all of them are made in Thailand by Sony (or for Sony)? Sure, there are no local warranties but that risk is a given. It is not for everyone.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The issue is more like Nikon. Any grey market Nikon product going in for warranty work in the US is disallowed. There is no grey market warranty work PERIOD here in the US. Not sure if Sony has that same policy but it is a risk. Also sometimes like cameras importing from Japan does not gives you a English version of the manuals or worse no english version in the firmware. For resale value not having and even though none of us read it but people want English manuals.

Grey market lenses are a much better US buyer risk but a body my recommendation and this is from me personally I would not be buying a body grey market. Just too much can go bad.

Guy Mancuso

My ZA 50mm 1.4 is grey market and its clear that it is with worldwide warranties but I do have English manual for it. Here the risk you take is if the lens is screwed up out of the gate. Either return it to seller right away or risk no warranty work.

The key here is just knowing your risk I saved about 300 dollars on this lens. I got lucky its perfect

Guy Mancuso

Oh side note I ordered the watson dual charger. Keep you posted how good it is

Watson Duo LCD Charger with 2 NP-FW50 Battery Plates - For Sony NP-FW50 Type Battery

Guy Mancuso

Im a little nervous now about shipping times to US.

Look at this email from Amazon. Copied from Sony Rumors

Since Sony hasn’t given us a date that we will receive and be able to ship these, we do not have a date listed. I checked on your order and it is still in effect. We are not allowing more pre-orders at this time as we have filled our pre-order slots.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here's a mostly video centered review by Andrew Reid:

Sony A7 II review - 5 axis stabilisation in video mode - EOSHD

"The C1 and C2 buttons should allow instant access to things like APS-C crop mode so we can instantly switch to a tighter shot without changing the lens. These buttons should also allow you to assign video start / stop trigger, because the default button for this is still incredibly awkward to reach. Consumers will all have a bundle of camera shake at the start and end of their unedited movie clips as they juggle the body to reach the video button, Steadyshot or no Steadyshot!"

algrove

Oh side note I ordered the watson dual charger. Keep you posted how good it is

Watson Duo LCD Charger with 2 NP-FW50 Battery Plates - For Sony NP-FW50 Type Battery
Mine is flawless and works on over 4 different camera batteries too. Love the LCD screen data.

jonoslack

Holy Molly Jono! You bought one and sold it without making a ripple! :ROTFL:
Hi Vivek
I used the "Amazon Hire Service" - had it about 3 weeks at the end of September early October. I didn't get on with the A7 or the A7r because of the shutter (couldn't hold it steady enough without a tripod at speeds I wanted to).

The A7s was quite different - I really liked it (especially those lovely files) BUT on it's own, it didn't have enough resolution for some of the things I do (my fault, I crop) - . . It was the IBIS I really wanted for nature stuff (where 12mp isn't always enough) - I didn't think they'd do it so fast! I think the A7ii is all I could wish for from a full frame mirrorless (I like 24mp). We'll see!

jonoslack

Well I see Panamoz have the A7s for £1370 w which is about £800 less than i paid for mine a few months ago!! All the same I am very wary about these Grey market imports as if things go wrong I'm sure it can all get very complicated
What is "grey market" when all of them are made in Thailand by Sony (or for Sony)? Sure, there are no local warranties but that risk is a given. It is not for everyone.
SLR hut had it for £1399 - they've been around for ages and have quite a good reputation - I'm sure it's a hassle if it goes wrong - but £700 is £700 . . with a bit of luck you'll be able to get a replacement for that price when it does go wrong :ROTFL: Anyway - any UK supplier has to give a 12month warranty if you sell in the UK - no escape!

iiiNelson

Hi Vivek
I used the "Amazon Hire Service" - had it about 3 weeks at the end of September early October. I didn't get on with the A7 or the A7r because of the shutter (couldn't hold it steady enough without a tripod at speeds I wanted to).

The A7s was quite different - I really liked it (especially those lovely files) BUT on it's own, it didn't have enough resolution for some of the things I do (my fault, I crop) - . . It was the IBIS I really wanted for nature stuff (where 12mp isn't always enough) - I didn't think they'd do it so fast! I think the A7ii is all I could wish for from a full frame mirrorless (I like 24mp). We'll see!
The 12 megapixels is my absolute only reservation about the A7s. It has speedy and accurate AF even in lowlight. If they make a version with 16-24 megapixels I'll be all over it along with a Monochrome version if they ever decide to make one.

I'm still happy with the A7 and A7R but I will more than likely trade in/sell the A7 once the A9 is released. My A7R is due to be sent in as soon as I can for FS conversion.

iiiNelson

What is "FS conversion"?

G
Full Spectrum conversion (UV, Visible Light, and IR) is a sensor conversion so I have the choice of capturing different or specified bands of the EM Spectrum yet still retain the ability to capture (mostly) visible light only with external lens filters. There's a really nice thread in the Alternative Board where members that have various converter cameras are posting their images. I've been wanting to do it for some time and I was going to convert my Panasonic G1 but the impending FE cameras plus the 20% off sale at LifePixel prompted me to pull the trigger and use my A7R as my base.

Sort of a win-win for me to be able to use most lenses and never really want for additional resolution.

dandrewk

The issue is more like Nikon. Any grey market Nikon product going in for warranty work in the US is disallowed. There is no grey market warranty work PERIOD here in the US. Not sure if Sony has that same policy but it is a risk. Also sometimes like cameras importing from Japan does not gives you a English version of the manuals or worse no english version in the firmware. For resale value not having and even though none of us read it but people want English manuals.

Grey market lenses are a much better US buyer risk but a body my recommendation and this is from me personally I would not be buying a body grey market. Just too much can go bad.
BH Photo, a Nikon authorized repair site, matches the USA warranty for grey market photo gear sold by them.