The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Sony A7II

horshack

My B&H preorder status now reads "In stock, order sent to warehouse". Looks like they'll meet the original release date of the 9th (tomorrow).

Kirk Candlish

And many of us lurkers sigh relief as the good news arrives and this thread no longer treads in the realm of dpr...

In spite of all technological wizardry that has gone into the 7 cameras, Sony looked more like photography company when they launched the A900. I wonder how many of the Minolta people are still with them...
All the key Minolta staff were asked to stay, the majority did. I have a very good friend that works directly with this division and he tells me little has changed in the internal culture.

Steve P.

actually spent a year studying Chaucer and another one Middle English as a lit major way back when:

from the prologue to the Canterbury tales:

"Whan that Aprill, with his shoures soote
The droghte of March hath perced to the roote
And bathed every veyne in swich licour,
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;

Whan Zephirus eek with his sweete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth
The tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne
Hath in the Ram his halfe cours yronne,
And smale foweles maken melodye,
(That slepen al the nyght with open eye)
So priketh hem Nature in hir corages
Thanne longen folk to goon on pilgrimages."

not so tough to figure out and a nice bit o' poetry
That Geoffrey Chaucer... he was good, but he couldn't spell for tish! :D

tn1krr

The report about a7 II IBIS says: "activates on half-press of the shutter"; I assume this is to save battery. Unfortunately this would mean no focus magnification + IBIS for manual/adapted lenses since the half-press will cancel magnification; very uncool for longer lenses like my 135 and 70-400; for accurate focus magnification is pretty much mandatory and I sure hoped I wouldd get IBIS to help with vibration which is present when handholding long lens and using magnification. So if anyone who gets their hand on one of these babies could check this out.

iiiNelson

The report about a7 II IBIS says: "activates on half-press of the shutter"; I assume this is to save battery. Unfortunately this would mean no focus magnification + IBIS for manual/adapted lenses since the half-press will cancel magnification; very uncool for longer lenses like my 135 and 70-400; for accurate focus magnification is pretty much mandatory and I sure hoped I wouldd get IBIS to help with vibration which is present when handholding long lens and using magnification. So if anyone who gets their hand on one of these babies could check this out.
It may be possible to get both if DMF is used. I don't think a half shutter press knocks you out of focus magnification while in DMF but I'd have to verify when I get near my cameras.

tn1krr

It may be possible to get both if DMF is used. I don't think a half shutter press knocks you out of focus magnification while in DMF but I'd have to verify when I get near my cameras.
DMF is unavailable/not applicable with manual lenses and since DMF works by keeping shutter half-pressed I'd expect it to be ok for native lenses. The question here is about all the adapted fully manual lenses.

frozenbb

This should not be a problem with manual focus lenses. On the a7r/a6000, you can half press the shutter and hold, while subsequently hitting the focus assist button (wherever you have assigned it). Focus assist remains activated until you depress shutter completely.

V

Vivek

Yeah, good point. Perhaps Guy would check it out soon.

Someone at SAR pointed out that people are demanding things which are unthinkable with other brands (in reference to "advice" to Sony from some people).

ggibson

My first question for the lucky A7ii recipients--how does auto-ISO behave in aperture mode? Can you set a minimum shutter speed? Has the camera been cured of the A7's love for 1/60?

Godfrey

I doubt the AutoISO behavior or settings have changed. I didn't see anything in the manual or any impressions by first reviewers that implied a change in AutoISO capabilities.

G