Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sony A7II

Post Thanks / Like

The Sony A7II

Decided to create this topic to focus on Sony's new camera, the A7II

Sony Global - Digital Imaging ? ?7 II

My 2 cents? At this point I'd be happier if Sony had released an LA-EAE5 with the A77II's AF speed...as e-mount lenses are few, slow and overpriced. Actually, I'd be happier with a serious NEX7 replacement or/and an A99II.

Also, the VG-C2EM makes me think that the current grip for the A7/A7R/A7S won't fit...just happened to buy TWO of them. How does Sony expect people to invest in an expensive system that keeps changing stuff like this all the time?
    Last edited by Rawfa; 20th November 2014 at 03:27.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Sony A7II

I think the grip is significantly larger than the one on the A7 so a new grip "had" to be made. FWIW the A7 and A77II use the same grip so they don't always switch it up. I think this is a good addition to the line up and brings many improvements based off feedback of what most people wanted regarding the A7. I'll reserve final decision for when I actually handle one but maybeI'll sell my A7 and grip towards one.

It sounds like the A-mount may be a better fit for your paying jobs and the FE mount is great for your personal projects from how I think you shoot.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I'm definitely in again on this one - hopefully this time I'll keep it.
    The IBIS makes it a perfect candidate for use with R lenses (and of course any other longer lenses). 24mp suits me well.
    a definite definite (very exciting).

Just this guy you know
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not sure if it is my A77II replacement but it does say 30 percent faster AF. For me that just maybe enough. I want to get to all FE mount for sure. Now if this is on level with A77II I'll do it. I shot the A77II last night and for PR work its dang hard to beat. I want the A9 obviously later on but this just maybe the ticket for those types of jobs.i I can still through it in crop mode and get length and have enough file to work with. If its 1700 dollars I'm very tempted.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    The IBIS makes it a perfect candidate for use with R lenses (and of course any other longer lenses). 24mp suits me well.
    Yeah... I guess I was very wrong in telling you not to hold your breath over IBIS. Hopefully it works as well as expected. I have large hands and I'm personally considering it for the improved ergonomics if nothing else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is one key factor if it has enough high ISO than the 16-35 maybe a perfect candidate for it.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Yeah... I guess I was very wrong in telling you not to hold your breath over IBIS. Hopefully it works as well as expected. I have large hands and I'm personally considering it for the improved ergonomics if nothing else.
    Grip for sure on this body

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Not sure if it is my A77II replacement but it does say 30 percent faster AF. For me that just maybe enough. I want to get to all FE mount for sure. Now if this is on level with A77II I'll do it. I shot the A77II last night and for PR work its dang hard to beat. I want the A9 obviously later on but this just maybe the ticket for those types of jobs.i I can still through it in crop mode and get length and have enough file to work with. If its 1700 dollars I'm very tempted.
    I agree but I'm waiting until everything is announced to make a decision to if I want this or if there will be multiple A9 bodies that include these features and more. I think amore robust body and more accurate AF is at the top of my list personally.

The speed of 4 or 5 FPS is fine for me already. I just want them to be accurate when I do use AF. The A7r is already sharp enough using lenses up to 200mm (maybe longer but that's all I tested.)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Grip for sure on this body
    Yup... I have grips on both my A7 and A7r for improved ergonomics... They pretty much live there 95% of the time.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yup... I have grips on both my A7 and A7r for improved ergonomics... They pretty much live there 95% of the time.
    I have 1 grip (hardly used) and 1 L Plate from China (15 Euros shipped, superbly crafted) that lives on one of the cams all the time. The L plate does it for me when it comes to ergonomics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Does come down a lot to comfort level and size of your hands. The extra battery does not hurt the cause either

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For the size of my hands even the battery grip will not do but my long fingers are nimble.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I have 1 grip (hardly used) and 1 L Plate from China (15 Euros shipped, superbly crafted) that lives on one of the cams all the time. The L plate does it for me when it comes to ergonomics.
    Which L plate are you using from China?

Yes ergonomically I like a reasonable level of "small" but not too small. I'm 6'3" and about 225lbs or so but have the hand sizeof someone who's probably 3 or 4" taller. I could palm a NCAA college basketball when I was 11 and a NBA sized one when I was 13.

I think it's hard for camera makers to make a camera that will appeal to all. I think the A7 series are the first cameras I've been truly excited about since the Leica M9/MM for the fact that they are so flexible and relatively affordable for most. I think the thing that would help many in the long run is being able to store in camera profiles/data for adapted lenses since so many people buy them for that reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This sounds very interesting for sure even more important. Sony is not afraid to grow and improve. The rest of the industry is eating day old bread and Sony is making a new recipe.

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Having reaad the news, I must say I am impressed with Sony's commitment to listen to their users, which is evident to me with the A7II evolution at hand.

I think this might also be very well a sign of what's to come with the A9, perhaps. I read somewhere that a Sony manager from Japan stated the A-mount to be further developed in sort of a more expensive Pro-Version. I am very curious to see what emerges in Q1/2015 in that respect.

Too bad that it is probably not economically viable for Sony to offer a trade in for A7 users, I could imagine many would consider that an option, hence I can see A7's to hit the used market pretty soon.

Very cool developments altogether!

Post Thanks / Like

Compared to the A7

www.rafael-lopes.com
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

This sounds very interesting for sure even more important. Sony is not afraid to grow and improve. The rest of the industry is eating day old bread and Sony is making a new recipe.
    People can say what they want about the longevity of the old and established brands but I will give Sony credit in their aggressive nature. They are getting the lenses out like never before and they are updating products based on the feedback of the enduser whether it's a pro or con. It's an exciting thing andI'm still hoping for a Monochrome FE-mount body.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This looks very much like IBIS Focal Length selection screen for legacy lenses. Legacy lens users rejoice

Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I guess this was the other reason for getting involved with Olympus, as it's pretty obvious it's their excellent IBIS system.

For me I don't need to wait for the A9 - weather sealing EFC and IBIS were what I needed, and 24mp is also just fine. I'm also pleased about the magnesium front plate.

Very excited!

Just this guy you know
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Which L plate are you using from China?
    ebay # 181410640930

Really fine quality.

I agree on the sizes and fits.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    Compared to the A7
    You should look at the size comparisons to OMD!

Post Thanks / Like

At this price range, even if this camera is not a huge improvement over my A7(s), it's worth the replacement, as I can sell the A7 here in Brazil for around us$2k.

IBIS is an amazing addition and as I shoot video on a regular basis, XAVC-S is a BIG BIG bonus. 30% AF improvement is not a big deal for me right now, as none of the current full frame e-mount lenses do it for my needs.
    www.rafael-lopes.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

More than the XAVC-S, it offers SLog2 gamma profiles (same as in the A7s).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I guess this was the other reason for getting involved with Olympus, as it's pretty obvious it's their excellent IBIS system.

For me I don't need to wait for the A9 - weather sealing EFC and IBIS were what I needed, and 24mp is also just fine. I'm also pleased about the magnesium front plate.

Very excited!
    I think I read somewhere that it's a proprietary Sony 5-Axis IBIS (which means that maybe they took the Olympus one and "improved" it further possibly.) I rarely shoot longer than 200mm so I don't know how much good IBIS will do for me personally but it's nicety have as an option.

I chose FF and max IQ over the already excellent Micro 4/3 system last year. I don't really feel I missed many shots because of the shortcomings A7 but I agree that there were clearly room for improvements.

Post Thanks / Like

More than the XAVC-S, it offers SLog2 gamma profiles (same as in the A7s).
    You're right, Vivek. That an awesome bonus.

Also, I've read somewhere this camera has a "multi card slot". Does this mean it will store 2 cards or is it just a single slot that holds different card types? (I'm thinking it's probably the latter)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think I read somewhere that it's a proprietary Sony 5-Axis IBIS (which means that maybe they took the Olympus one and "improved" it further possibly.) I rarely shoot longer than 200mm so I don't know how much good IBIS will do for me personally but it's nicety have as an option.
    One of the japanese interviews said that it is not Olympus IBIS but a completely new Sony-developed system. Those hybrid-modes for stabilized lenses are something new, Olympus does not have these modes I believe?
    1. with a stabilized FE lens the work is divided between lens and sensor: lens does pitch and yaw and sensor only does Roll, X and Y.
    2. For non-stabilized lenses sensor takes care of everything.

Post Thanks / Like

is it written somewhere that says IBIS is enabled in video mode? i remember there have been cases (for other cameras) where IBIS is locked out in video mode....

and any mention if the AA filter is still in place?
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm

Post Thanks / Like

The specs say something about this camera using a "area specific noise reductions", which divides the image into areas based into patterns to obtain the best possible noise reduction. I'm curious about how much better is this camera is than the original A7 when it comes to high iso...though I wouldn't expect a mind blowing difference as it would start stepping into A7S territory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The specs say something about this camera using a "area specific noise reductions", which divides the image into areas based into patterns to obtain the best possible noise reduction. I'm curious about how much better is this camera is than the original A7 when it comes to high iso...though I wouldn't expect a mind blowing difference as it would start stepping into A7S territory.
    Area-specific noise reduction was already in the A7/A7R jpg engine, I think this is a Bionz X feature. See A7 product link below, are specific NR is listed already in that

Sony Global - Digital Imaging - α7

For ISO I would not expect anything more than current A7. If it was markedly better that would propably show in AF light sensitivity (these are effectively same in both A7 and A7 II) since in low light these are all CDAF cameras.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by UHDR View Post
    and any mention if the AA filter is still in place?
    No mention yet but I will not be surprised if it is not there.

Post Thanks / Like

Jono,

as I know that the loud shutter on the original A7 put you off, I would like to know (from your tests) if the shutter of the A7II is a real improvement and became quiet enough!

Many thanks in advance

Peter
    Last edited by ptomsu; 20th November 2014 at 17:18.
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This looks like the perfect camera to replace my a7, but I'm not sure I want it.

I still don't trust Sony. The a7II has the same processor and most likely the same sensor as the a7. So why haven't they released firmware updates for increased focusing speed, tracking, and XAVC-S (for the original a7). My guess: they don't make money off firmware updates.

The 5-axis image stabilization is enough for me to upgrade. The new grip is nice too, but landscapes on a tripod will most likely look exactly the same.

Basically I shouldn't have to think about it. If Sony showed a little good faith by releasing some of these firmware upgrades for the a7, I would be the first to order the a7II. But for now I'm waffling. I just don't believe they will stand behind their own products.

I'm not even going to get into the new A-mount lenses. PICK A SIDE SONY!

Sorry for the rant.

Cheers,
    Sloppy

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Jono,

as I know that the loud shutter on the original A7 put you off, I would like to know (from your tests) if the shuttle of the A7II is a real improvement and became quiet enough!

Many thanks in advance

Peter
    Ditto. That's JUST what I was thinking. All nice improvements and tweaks but the shutter was one thing I am hoping Sony really did address.
    Life is an infinite series of moments called..."now".
    My job is to capture them.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes. This will do. :-)
    Whatever the A7's warts, it works very nicely with R lenses. Adding IS completes it.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

You're right, Vivek. That an awesome bonus.

Also, I've read somewhere this camera has a "multi card slot". Does this mean it will store 2 cards or is it just a single slot that holds different card types? (I'm thinking it's probably the latter)
    Typically they would list "dual slot" rather than multi- and I think it would have been a news leader with the IBIS

Specs for A72
    Media
    Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, Memory Stick XC-HG Duo, SD memory card, SDHC memory card (UHS-I compliant), SDXC memory card (UHS-I compliant)
    Slot
    Multi slot for Memory Stick Duo / SD Memory card

Specs for A7 (ie identical)
    Media
    Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, Memory Stick XC-HG Duo, SD memory card, SDHC memory card (UHS-I compliant), SDXC memory card (UHS-I compliant)
    Slot
    Multi slot for Memory Stick Duo / SD Memory card

Sony Global - Digital Imaging ? ?7 II

Post Thanks / Like

Have to agree about the firmware updates as they should really take a leaf out of Fuji's book on how to update a camera just look how the original X100 has been improved over the years long after new models have been released. Of course they don't make money to of the firmware updates but they would certainly build some more brand loyalty if they did.
    As to upgrading as yet I'm not convinced. I don't like the increase in size and weight and the ergonomics of the present camera are just fine foe me now that I have got used to them. IBIS would certainly be nice but I've lived without it quite happily up till now. Will wait to see what price it goes for

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems that some of these new features should have found their way into the A7r.
    However, i've always believed that 24mp is the sweet spot for most of today's lenses. In the past i've advocated the use of native FE lenses, but A mount's like the Zeiss 135mm1.8, 85mm1.4 or the 24mm Distagon are insane good lenses imo. I'm literally adapting to the A7 format and eagerly await more native offerings, but in the meantime, there's a crap load of great optics to choose from!
    I like this new version and can't wait to shoot with it.

The new 70-300G is also welcome. The SSM will allow me to use the EA3 with AF!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ebay # 181410640930

Really fine quality.

I agree on the sizes and fits.
    This is what I get

Unfortunately, access to this particular item has been blocked due to legal restrictions in some countries. We are blocking your viewing in an effort to prevent restricted items from being displayed. Regrettably, in some cases, we may prevent users from accessing items that are not within the scope of said restrictions because of limitations of existing technology. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause, and we hope you may find other items of interest on eBay.

(with Ebay for resegementing the market after it was opened for a few year; seems vendors want to take more money from some countries and they don't want us to see how much more we have to pay than others).

Post Thanks / Like

I agree on the shutter, but personally feel that this looks like an excellent round of improvements hot not that long after the original camera. The IBIS is a great addition.

I said before and I still believe that Sony is going to make massive ground in the camera market in the next 2-3 years. We've yet to hear about the top end 50 megapixel camera yet....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    (with Ebay for resegementing the market after it was opened for a few year; seems vendors want to take more money from some countries and they don't want us to see how much more we have to pay than others).
    That has everything to do with your country and its laws, I would think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tn1krr View Post
    One of the japanese interviews said that it is not Olympus IBIS but a completely new Sony-developed system. Those hybrid-modes for stabilized lenses are something new, Olympus does not have these modes I believe?
    1. with a stabilized FE lens the work is divided between lens and sensor: lens does pitch and yaw and sensor only does Roll, X and Y.
    2. For non-stabilized lenses sensor takes care of everything.
    MMm since Sony has now a big share of Olympus and since the five axis stabilisators have been included by Olympus, they have probably got some know how from Olympus. I doubt the Sony IBIS is entirely designed by them from scratch, even if Olympus declared some weeks ago that they were not sharing camera knowledge with Sony. Of course, Sony will had to adapt the principles to the A7 bodies.

Concerning what you name hybrid stabilisation : on Olympus cameras, you can use IBIS with legacy glass and then set the focal length manually (even while filming now). You can also mount stabilized Panasonic glass with OIS, even if the lens doesn't have a physical switch to power on the mecanism. You do it from the menu (where I think that you can choose between the two systems).

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I get

Unfortunately, access to this particular item has been blocked due to legal restrictions in some countries. We are blocking your viewing in an effort to prevent restricted items from being displayed. Regrettably, in some cases, we may prevent users from accessing items that are not within the scope of said restrictions because of limitations of existing technology. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause, and we hope you may find other items of interest on eBay.

I'm not getting that in the US .. what country are you in?
    Also, try a search for LB-A7 in ebay or in Amazon (or just Google). I found alternative sellers in both (for slightly higher price but still much less than RRS)

Edit, I found both higher AND lower prices in ebay ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That has everything to do with your country and its laws, I would think.
    No, it has nothing to do with my country. It has to do with a decision of Ebay who now prevents you from seeing all the items available worldwide. When a vendor isn't willing to ship in your country, they just prevent you access to that item. Which is a pity because even if you can't get the item, Ebay is a great ressource to know about some older items and the price they are selling at. It is also a great ressource to know the prices of things all over the world.

I don't really understand how it works, because sometimes I can see and items which are only shipping to the US, but sometimes not. What is clear is that I'm getting that same warning and blank page more and more often.

We live in a very liberal country, there is no laws which would prevent me from looking at what is selling over Ebay, the decision lies completely with Ebay and may be also corporation pressure.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When a vendor isn't willing to ship in your country, they just prevent you access to that item.
    Then there is no point in looking at it, is there? If the seller won't ship then what is the point?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mbroomfield View Post
    I'm not getting that in the US .. what country are you in?
    Also, try a search for LB-A7 in ebay or in Amazon (or just Google). I found alternative sellers in both (for slightly higher price but still much less than RRS)

Edit, I found both higher AND lower prices in ebay ...
    I'm no in the US. Almost everyone sell to the US .. I think the LB-A7 is the grip, but we are speaking of L plate here. A cheap L plate cositing 15$

Post Thanks / Like

Finally a mirrorless replacement for my A900!

Also good news for those looking to buy A7/s/r used on eBay.

Bad news for the tripod industry.

==Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fuji just announced a huge new firmware upgrade for the X-T1. Rather than making us all buy new cameras, Fuji keeps adding value to the one we bought. Bravo Fuji!
    Brad Husick
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Jono,

as I know that the loud shutter on the original A7 put you off, I would like to know (from your tests) if the shuttle of the A7II is a real improvement and became quiet enough!

Many thanks in advance

Peter
    Hi There Peter
    It was really the shutter noise of the A7r which put me off - of course I would have liked the A7 to be quieter, but it's possible to live with, because of the Electronic First Curtain.

Just this guy you know

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    Fuji just announced a huge new firmware upgrade for the X-T1. Rather than making us all buy new cameras, Fuji keeps adding value to the one we bought. Bravo Fuji!
    A firmware update won't move a badly placed shutter button. Of course, Sony could have put it in a reasonable place the first time.

Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Then there is no point in looking at it, is there? If the seller won't ship then what is the point?
    It is good to be able to see items around the world because there are always ways to work around it, per example have it send to a local friend etc.
    Of course you can always check ebay per country but it is tiresome.

A new annoying thing is with ordering from the US that they automaticly add custom costs with the item instead to let coincidence play its role.
    And then a lot of sellers refuse to send it to another adress as your own.

I am not really a fan of people/company's thinking for you, I prefer to do it myself

rules, rules, rules........ sickening