Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Weddings with the A77II?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Rawfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    2,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Weddings with the A77II?

    Anyone shooting weddings with the A77II as one their cameras? Con and pros of doing such?

  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Weddings with the A77II?

    Sorry, no experience with that camera for weddings ... and I won't ever have any experience with it because it lacks some fundamental features I find necessary.

    I would not select it because it is a APSc sensor which alters the effective focal length of my existing ZA lenses, and increases the DOF of the fast aperture lenses.

    Main reason is the lack of dual card capture.

    Otherwise, it looks like a nice camera ... however, with Sony's rate of shoveling new cameras out the door, I'd wait to see what is coming.

    - Marc

  3. #3
    Senior Member Rawfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    2,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Weddings with the A77II?

    Hey Marc, thanks for the input.

    I thought you worked with the A7 (or A7R)..which doesn't have a dual card slot either.

    I know a lot of people who work with a FF and an APSC as their backup and for the longer range with certain lenses.

    My biggest fear would be high ISO...where my A7(s) shine.

  4. #4
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Weddings with the A77II?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    Hey Marc, thanks for the input.

    I thought you worked with the A7 (or A7R)..which doesn't have a dual card slot either.

    I know a lot of people who work with a FF and an APSC as their backup and for the longer range with certain lenses.

    My biggest fear would be high ISO...where my A7(s) shine.
    I primarily shoot weddings with a Sony A99 (dual card), and before that with Nikons and Canons with dual card capture. I also use a Leica S, which also shoots to two cards.

    Any single slot camera is used only for images I can afford to lose (random candids, some detail shots, etc.).

    Personally, I don't consider my A7R as a pro wedding camera (too loud, to slow, finicky control ergonomics, VF lag). Okay for some stuff, but I could just as easily leave it at home. Same for a Leica M, which I also occasionally use at a wedding.

    Use of FF and APSc as back-up seems reasonable ... but I don't need reach at a wedding ... long lenses tend to compress the perspective too much IMO. My ZA135/1.8 is enough for 98% of any long lens need ... for the other 2% I just crop the full frame to APSc (which you can do in camera)... and the effect is the same as a 200mm.

    I avoid high ISO in most cases since available light at most weddings is pretty poor in quality.

    _ Marc
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #5
    Senior Member Rawfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    2,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Weddings with the A77II?

    Got the A77II and it's the fastest sony camera I've EVER had. This thing is REAAALLLY fast. I've had the A99 for soem time and even thought it has a bunch of AF points, only a very limited amount of lenses supported them (most of them VERY expensive). That is not the case with the A77II. I've testes a Sigma superspeed 28mm 1.8, a minolta 24-105mm, a minolta 70-210mm f4, a sigma 85mm f1.4, a sony 50mm f1.4, a tamron 28-75mm 2.8, a sigma 18-35mm f1.8 and AF was a machine gun in ALL of them. If the only upgrade the A99II is to implement the same AF as the A77II and XAVC-S codec then I'm sold!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •