Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Big doubts - A vs E?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Rawfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    2,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Big doubts - A vs E?

    Hey guys,

    I'm at a crossroads and I'm having a hard time deciding what to do.

    Right now I own
    Cameras: 2 A7
    2 batt grips
    2 la-ea4
    FE lenses: 28-75mm kit lens
    A lenses: minolta 17-35mm f2.8-4, minolta 70-210mm f4, minolta superspeed 28mm f1.8, sony 50mm f1.4, sigma 85mm f1.4, tamron 28-75mm f2.8

    Problem: I love the compact size factor and love what these cameras can do in situations where I don't need fast AF (travel, shooting actors and models, etc)...BUT, I went to shoot a couple of weddings and the AF speed is far from acceptable EVEN with the LA-EA4 adapter (bare in mind that weddings in Brazil are huge massive events with hundreds and hundreds of people).

    Sony got into the APS-C mirrorless game for years and they still don't have basic primes like an 85mm, they don't have really fast primes (there's not ONE f1.4 lens!) or fast zooms, so I'm thinking the same will happen down the road with the FE system...plus FE lenses are way more expensive than a-mount lenses.

    On the other hand I'm not sure if most of my a-mount lenses will be faster on an A77II or a future A99II than on the LA-EA4 because Sony only makes their top lenses fully compatible with new AF systems.

    Changing systems is hell, specially in Brazil where most times you wait 2 month for you gear to arrive and you may be taxed up to 65% of the full value.
    www.rafael-lopes.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Big doubts - A vs E?

    I feel your pain.
    I have a similar decision to make - A vs E, although, AF speed is not my issue, and it's between A7ii and E-M1. So many pros (and frankly so few cons).

    best

    Just this guy you know
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #3
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Big doubts - A vs E?

    I'm not going to comment on this. I'm sitting on my hands, do you hear, sitting on my hands. There's no way I can reach the keyboard and publish insulting comments about Sony

    But it is a bit strange, isn't it? It's the only system out there without a large aperture portrait lens. Even Samsung offers an 85mm f/1.4

  4. #4
    Senior Member Rawfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    2,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Big doubts - A vs E?

    Not to mention Fuji. They got on the game really late and they already have some awesome glass! The 56mm f/1.2, 23mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.4, 50-140mm F2.8.

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Big doubts - A vs E?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    Hey guys,

    I'm at a crossroads and I'm having a hard time deciding what to do.

    Right now I own
    Cameras: 2 A7
    2 batt grips
    2 la-ea4
    FE lenses: 28-75mm kit lens
    A lenses: minolta 17-35mm f2.8-4, minolta 70-210mm f4, minolta superspeed 28mm f1.8, sony 50mm f1.4, sigma 85mm f1.4, tamron 28-75mm f2.8

    Problem: I love the compact size factor and love what these cameras can do in situations where I don't need fast AF (travel, shooting actors and models, etc)...BUT, I went to shoot a couple of weddings and the AF speed is far from acceptable EVEN with the LA-EA4 adapter (bare in mind that weddings in Brazil are huge massive events with hundreds and hundreds of people).

    Sony got into the APS-C mirrorless game for years and they still don't have basic primes like an 85mm, they don't have really fast primes (there's not ONE f1.4 lens!) or fast zooms, so I'm thinking the same will happen down the road with the FE system...plus FE lenses are way more expensive than a-mount lenses.

    On the other hand I'm not sure if most of my a-mount lenses will be faster on an A77II or a future A99II than on the LA-EA4 because Sony only makes their top lenses fully compatible with new AF systems.

    Changing systems is hell, specially in Brazil where most times you wait 2 month for you gear to arrive and you may be taxed up to 65% of the full value.
    The 55FE will perform as a 85 on a crop sensor but if AF speed and weddings are your concern the. You'll probably be best served by a Canon DSLR honestly. They have the most accurate AF and I think that's the reason they dominate sports photography.

    You'll probably run into the same problem though if you switch to Canon and try to stick with the older versions of lenses. You may have to the buy the newest and more expensive glass for optimal results. Most of your Minolta lenses are probably screwdriver lenses and no matter the body they will probably be slow by modern standards. I think your lens choices aren't meeting your AF expectations as well as your body choices but that's just my opinion.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  6. #6
    Senior Member Malina DZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    S. Florida
    Posts
    549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Big doubts - A vs E?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    Sony got into the APS-C mirrorless game for years and they still don't have basic primes like an 85mm, they don't have really fast primes (there's not ONE f1.4 lens!) or fast zooms, so I'm thinking the same will happen down the road with the FE system...plus FE lenses are way more expensive than a-mount lenses.
    Hello Rawfa. Why did you decide to buy into Sony FE system if it currently doesn't offer what you need from a camera+lens to do the job for your clients today? I wouldn't blame LA-EA4 for poor AF speed and accuracy since its just the AF module from a65/a58 body.
    BTW, I never heard of Minolta superspeed 28/1.8 for alpha mount. Could you share a link for details or images of this lens?

  7. #7
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Big doubts - A vs E?

    Everyone of your lenses will work on the A77II. My vote for outstanding AF right now is it. You can buy mine but I would not sell it to you just because I want the new A7 . It will do what you want immediately. The AF is outstanding. Getting the A7 is a downgrade for me with AF. I'll get by because I did my runway before with the current A7. I'm figuring that 30 percent increase will be enough for my gig. It gets me over to the FE mount with both bodies. I'll need to replace my zoom though so than I will have what I need.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  8. #8
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,930
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Big doubts - A vs E?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I feel your pain.
    I have a similar decision to make - A vs E, although, AF speed is not my issue, and it's between A7ii and E-M1. So many pros (and frankly so few cons).
    It will be interesting to see how well the A7II's IBIS compares against the Olympus. Same for the AF.

    For me, these decision points aren't very important. Neither is the format difference. I'm very happy with the E-M1 as my modern, full automation capable system. I get terrific photographs out of it. The A7 body was purchased to use with Leica R and Nikkor lenses: I will never buy a native lens for it. It does a terrific job of that.

    It seems to me that if your need is fast AF and responsiveness, you should buy whatever camera best provides those features. Weddings and other events rarely require maximum detail resolution other than for the posed portraits ... The traditional solution was always to use a different camera for those shots and a faster camera for the event photography.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Rawfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    2,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Big doubts - A vs E?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Everyone of your lenses will work on the A77II. My vote for outstanding AF right now is it. You can buy mine but I would not sell it to you just because I want the new A7 . It will do what you want immediately. The AF is outstanding. Getting the A7 is a downgrade for me with AF. I'll get by because I did my runway before with the current A7. I'm figuring that 30 percent increase will be enough for my gig. It gets me over to the FE mount with both bodies. I'll need to replace my zoom though so than I will have what I need.
    Guy, lets make it happen. I repplied your email.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Rawfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    2,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Big doubts - A vs E?

    Quote Originally Posted by Malina DZ View Post
    Hello Rawfa. Why did you decide to buy into Sony FE system if it currently doesn't offer what you need from a camera+lens to do the job for your clients today? I wouldn't blame LA-EA4 for poor AF speed and accuracy since its just the AF module from a65/a58 body.
    BTW, I never heard of Minolta superspeed 28/1.8 for alpha mount. Could you share a link for details or images of this lens?
    Only recently Ive started needing really fast AF.

  11. #11
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Big doubts - A vs E?

    Personally I dont find the A7 AF that bad - even for my fast moving kids - but if you say it is not fast enough for your needs - it look like you allready answered your own question.
    On the other side - if I needed fast AF and response I would rather buy a camera with OVF than EVF because EVF allways means a certain delay compared to OVF.
    Personally - at the moment I use the A7s more often than my 5dIII, because of the smaller size.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Rawfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    2,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Big doubts - A vs E?

    Just closed the deal on Guy's A77II with the Sigma 18-35mm. Let's see how I feel back on the DSLR's world
    www.rafael-lopes.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  13. #13
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Big doubts - A vs E?

    Going to love it and for me I love selling my gear to members that make great use of it. Plus I'm a goodie bag filler. Lol

    Okay folks in all in on the a7II
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  14. #14
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Big doubts - A vs E?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    Just closed the deal on Guy's A77II with the Sigma 18-35mm. Let's see how I feel back on the DSLR's world
    Congrats and I hear the 18-35/ 1.8 is a world class lens for APS-C. I hope they serve or exceed your expectations.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  15. #15
    Senior Member Rawfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    2,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Big doubts - A vs E?

    Thanks, HiredArm and many thanks to Guy for his patience with all my questions
    Now lets just hope for Sony to come up with the A99II to keep my new A77II much deserved FF company

  16. #16
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Big doubts - A vs E?

    That's the beauty of the buy and sell with members here. Everyone usually is great to close deals with plus none of those dang eBay fees. That 10 percent seller fee on eBay is killer
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  17. #17
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Big doubts - A vs E?

    Okay I need to get out of the shopping mall. My wife is killing me. Lol

    Tide turned she bought shoes I reversed the role . Honey I'm buying camera. Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  18. #18
    Senior Member Rawfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    2,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Big doubts - A vs E?

    Want to thanks Guy for being suuuper suportive during the neighmarish customs situation weve had to endure until I got all the gear. I guess the camera is so fast they thought it was a machine gun

    Guy, I have nothing but praise for the deal. Many thanks for all!

  19. #19
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Big doubts - A vs E?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    Want to thanks Guy for being suuuper suportive during the neighmarish customs situation weve had to endure until I got all the gear. I guess the camera is so fast they thought it was a machine gun

    Guy, I have nothing but praise for the deal. Many thanks for all!
    That goes right back at you as well. Frankly all said and done I think customs was trying to rip us off with duties as it was stuck in customs and Rafael worked his butt off to try and clear it all than suddenly it clears. This is a simple case of great buyer and great seller having faith in each other. Honestly this is why the B&S was put in place for transactions and members like this. Nothing buy high praise for Rafael
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •